Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I'm another one who dislikes the white halo around a lot of the matching dies, so for that reason, I don't buy them. I wonder why the companies who make matching dies don't make them to fit the stamped images properly.

Because then you have to line them up even more accurately, which is a whole 'nother difficulty? The ones I have, I use the method I learned on the IO blog, cutting a template out of cereal boxes, and lining that up over the stamped image, then setting the die into it. But even then I don't always get it as accurate as I want it to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Because then you have to line them up even more accurately, which is a whole 'nother difficulty? The ones I have, I use the method I learned on the IO blog, cutting a template out of cereal boxes, and lining that up over the stamped image, then setting the die into it. But even then I don't always get it as accurate as I want it to be.
Thanks for that explanation. So I guess I have to stick to fussy cutting!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Well, it might not be the reason, but it's the only one I can think of offhand. Plus obviously some people like the halo ;-). I love the SU butterfly punch with the Papillon Potpourri butterflies purely because it doesn't leave any white border with the two butterflies I most use. It's one of the very few matching punches I bought, for exactly the same reason...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the subject of punches, I would way rather have punches than dies! They are so quick and more convenient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to really really like the stamp that has matching dies to buy them packaged together. I am not a fan of white borders so I can fussy cut that portion off if it truly bothers me. I find it easier to fussy cut if there is a smaller border to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have purchased several stamp and die sets..mostly intricate flower types. I like the halo around the images most of the time, but have trimmed them at times also. I agree that the sets do cut into your spending ability, so I now consider carefully when I get the die for the set. I have or will do more fussy cutting in the future. I am not as good at it as I would like...so with practice I will improve. Retirement makes you pinch your craft spending more.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the dreaded 'to do or not to do' LOL. My issue, like many others, is arthritis so fussy cutting is very difficult, not to mention when I have done it, I can't seen to manage a smooth cut, so in my case I do buy the coordinating dies. It is so expensive as we all know but here's my two cents anyway: if I could fussy cut, I believe I would purchase coordinating dies only if a stamp set had a lot of small images or, if the images were intricate. When I add up the costs I paid over the past 2 years it's more than double the cost of stamp sets. As well, ask yourself if you were to sell the used set if people were willing to pay the extra cost for the coordinating die because as seen in these replies, a lot of people are not willing to pay the price and who can blame them. So would you sell the stamp set and be left with the coordinating dies...I don't think so. Just something for you to think about but honestly, if I could avoid buying the dies, I would.

And to your specific question about 'feeling pressure', heck no...it's my money and no one can pressure me to buy anything, except me of course!

Happy crafting everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #48  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am never pressured into anything; however, there have been times when a die set was offered as a bundle and I DIDN'T purchase it that later while using the stamps I wish I had the dies...purchasing later is not always an option. My fussy cutting takes so long that I become frustrated and "give up" producing the card because my images don't look professionally cut. When a die leaves a halo, as mentioned, I sometimes take a matching marker and fill in the area of the halo so it disappears...easier than fussy cutting for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #49  
Glitter Queen

I can totally relate Stampndenton and I too am horrible at fussy cutting...just cannot accomplish clean edges, not to mention working with stiff hands. In fact, just holding the scissors is a challenge. Unfortunately, I know there are a lot of us out there with arthritis but I am one who can attest to the health benefits of crafting, especially with respect to how it effects my self esteem/confidence. Anyway, all the best and as always, happy crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I have been a monthly stamp club member with The Stamps of Life. I go back and forth on the dies. Sometimes I would like them, but found that I rarely use them with the stamps, so I cut the die membership out and just get the stamps. Even with a magnetic platform I struggle to line the stamped image up with the proper halo around the image. More often that not, I will fussy cut the image if I want to pop it up. I am like several of you in that it just depends whether I purchase the die or not. One thing I really hate is having to cut my dies apart, though. I will pay the money to not cut those dies apart.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #51  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I'm another one who dislikes the white halo around a lot of the matching dies, so for that reason, I don't buy them. I wonder why the companies who make matching dies don't make them to fit the stamped images properly.
I think it might be because if they have it too exact it could be more challenging to line it up with the image and not cut part of the image off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
I hate fussy cutting so rarely do it. I don't mind the halo when I get it and used to try to make a halo when I tried to fussy cut. Always failed. However, I often buy just the dies and not the stamps. Seems like I use dies more than stamping these days. Probably need to change that as I have so many stamps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #53  
Glitter Queen

I'm with you susanbri. 'Sometimes' a halo around a focal point will help it stand out more, particularly if you have a busy background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I use decoupage scissors for my fussy cutting, similar to the ones linked below, they are supper sharp but you can get right up close and personal with your stamped image!

https://www.craftlines.eu/en/reuser-...s-3d-1215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

I enjoy fussy cutting therefore I don't buy matching stamp and dies too often. An exception to that rule for me is the front and back stamp sets with dies from Art Impressions. I like the front and back dies a lot. I do buy a die to a stamp if the die is intricate with inside cuts. I also buy dies for some word stamps since I like stacking and gluing them together for dimension. So making it much shorter to explain, sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no". LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #56  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a very poor fussy cutter - however I am on a budget so I only get matching dies if I feel that I wouldn't be able to cut it out well myself. For example, with a Christmas tree that is just basically a triangle, I can cut that out. Another consideration is the size of the die. I don't like the tiny ones!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's happening! Lawn Fawn has their latest release out and I'm putting the matching dies in my cart. I had to come back and visit this thread for support, lol. And remind myself I don't die cut too often (or fussy cut). I'm going to take some deep breaths and remove them from my cart. I can do this, right? I think I need to see a crafting therapist to work on eliminating dies from my life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #58  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can do it Catherine! Removing matching dies from your cart leaves room in the budget for different fun stuff (markers of your choice, cardstock and/or watercolor paper, more stamps and tools!)

Happy Crafty Shopping!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #59  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very brave. That would kill me but I think it's a good move. You can always have them later if you find stamp sets that cry out for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #60  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
It's happening! Lawn Fawn has their latest release out and I'm putting the matching dies in my cart. I had to come back and visit this thread for support, lol. And remind myself I don't die cut too often (or fussy cut). I'm going to take some deep breaths and remove them from my cart. I can do this, right? I think I need to see a crafting therapist to work on eliminating dies from my life!
You can do it! And you'll completely forget they exist since you don't need them.

I often have to remind myself to ask myself if I'm collecting or crafting, and if I wouldn't use something, it's collecting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

I have problems with my hands, so fussy cutting is painful. As a rule I only buy focal stamps that come with matching die sets. I still use my older stamps, but generally in ways I don't have to cut them out. I think I made a mistake though when I bought the larger platform Big Shot. I should have switched to a scan-n-cut at that point. I could have saved money on dies and recoupled the money on the machine in no time! I would have still had my regular sized Big Shot for embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 02:12 AM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't buy matching dues. I have a few for some Lawn Fawn sets I have but that's about it.

I much prefer punches as I like the quick ease of them. I hate fooling with dies, especially the teeny, tiny ones. All the steps involved makes me twitchy!! Haha!

I also don't mind fussy cutting. I actually like to fussy cut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Well, it might not be the reason, but it's the only one I can think of offhand. Plus obviously some people like the halo ;-). I love the SU butterfly punch with the Papillon Potpourri butterflies purely because it doesn't leave any white border with the two butterflies I most use. It's one of the very few matching punches I bought, for exactly the same reason...
Just bought P Potpourri at a demo sale on Sat. Also bought the small butterfly punch. I had the large. Love that set and I love stamps that have matching punches!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I generally don't buy stamps and die cuts unless that is how they come and they don't cost too much! The one exception is the Tim Holtz Crazy series. I got the Bird Crazy stamps and dies, then the Crazy Things stamps and dies, then I got the Crazy Cats, stamps and dies. Finally, when I got the Crazy Dogs, I realized that I didn't really need the dies! The only ones that I really needed were the Crazy Things. Oh well, live and learn! By the way, I HATE to fussy cut!
Reply With Quote Likes