Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What do you think of SU's new vinyl wall decor line?
Love it! Can't wait to buy! 290 33.30%
Not thrilled... wish it had been more stamping/scrapbooking stuff 440 50.52%
I haven't decided yet. 141 16.19%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #81  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
I guess I'm not sure why there is this insistance that SU must focus all of their resources and energy in one area so that they can accomodate representatives who chose to split their resources and energies between two different companies.

As for the products themselves, They're great even for stampers who do not like them. Why? Because now you can have a workshop and invite the non-crafty freinds and neighbors. This is something that they may be very much interested in, and their purchases of wall decor will fund your stamping goodies.
It's not an "insistence" that they "must" do anything, just MO that I'd rather they put more energy into the areas I like. And a sympathy for those who are stuck losing another business they've had.

I think you still have to be a little crafty to use wall rub-ons!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #82  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage RedheadView Post
IMNSHO: It's because they are branding them under the SU! umbrella. The Gardner's own Clearsnap. They have maintained two separate companies, two separate brands. Why not give these wall clinging-thingeys their own separate brand? What is the purpose of keeping them under the SU! brand? Why not brand them differently but tage them with: "From the company that brought you Stampin' Up! and Cats Eyes..."
I'm curious why it is Ok for them to own Clearsnap, obviously in competition with SU, but it's not OK for demonstrators to sell both Uppercase Living and Stampin' Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been reading this and another thread in the Announcement section & talked to a legal friend of mine. Since consultants that are selling for both companies probably signed the no compete agreement before SU went into this new arena (which I probably won't purchase), they should be grandfathered in. If they wanted to push the issue, they could probably have a case. I feel about this new addition to SU like I did toward CMs framing business, but I'm only a customer (one of many). I wish SU would come out with die cut rubber & an unmounted choice. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuttystamperView Post
I prefer stamping to home decorating. I think it may be a hard sell to my customers who love to scrapbook and make cards. I think SU should stick to what they are good at-rubber stamps.
Lots of people keep saying they should stick to what they are good at (this isn't just in reply to nuttystamper). Would you say that to your child if they wanted to try something new, or a friend or your husband? If the quality and focus of the company towards the papercrafting doesn't diminish then why do you care if they try something new? I know most of the people on here obviously like to stamp, so we're missing the whole population of people that may be interested in decorating their homes but don't stamp. If you are a demo, then great more customers and more income for you. If you are a customer, then this just gives you more people to spend more money at your workshops which will become free stampin product for you.

I'd understand people being upset if they said that stamping was a 2nd priority or they might phase it out all together in favor of the vinyl stuff, but it isn't even a part of the regular catalog - which will still be FULL of stamping stuff. Also someone else mentioned that they have a whole team devoted to this stuff so it isn't even like the SU! employees are splitting their focus. Just a thought that somehow this could benefit all of us...let's start thinking positive people. (If you are a customer that doesn't host workshops, then this new product line doesn't even really affect you so it really isn't a change at all.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #85  
Die Cut Diva

I understand what you are trying to say with your comparison of encouraging children, but it isn't the same. A child needs encouragement to grow and explore, without the shame or fear that they will fail, they will learn that later. A COMPANY run by ADULTS, grandparents, parents etc. do not need that "blind" encouragement, they know how to make better, well informed choices.

I really don't care so much about the wall things, I don't like them and would never sell them. What bothers me is that this is such a stretch for a new line, "definately decorative made easy" and has almost nothing to do with who they are as a company. Just because they use the same images does not mean that they are related in idea or core product.

It would be like SU saying they are going to manufacture their own line of toilet paper, in their EXCLUSIVE colors and designs, with new In-colors each year for a limited time. Same colors, same designs and you COULD relate it to paper. But toilet paper is not a craft item and neither is vinyl cling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbe492View Post
Lots of people keep saying they should stick to what they are good at (this isn't just in reply to nuttystamper). Would you say that to your child if they wanted to try something new, or a friend or your husband? If the quality and focus of the company towards the papercrafting doesn't diminish then why do you care if they try something new? I know most of the people on here obviously like to stamp, so we're missing the whole population of people that may be interested in decorating their homes but don't stamp. If you are a demo, then great more customers and more income for you. If you are a customer, then this just gives you more people to spend more money at your workshops which will become free stampin product for you.

I'd understand people being upset if they said that stamping was a 2nd priority or they might phase it out all together in favor of the vinyl stuff, but it isn't even a part of the regular catalog - which will still be FULL of stamping stuff. Also someone else mentioned that they have a whole team devoted to this stuff so it isn't even like the SU! employees are splitting their focus. Just a thought that somehow this could benefit all of us...let's start thinking positive people. (If you are a customer that doesn't host workshops, then this new product line doesn't even really affect you so it really isn't a change at all.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
But toilet paper is not a craft item and neither is vinyl cling.
Hmmm... as I was looking through the Uppercase Living catalog, I saw plenty of crafts done with their vinyl. ;)

One benefit to vinyl is that it can be used on bigger applications than stamps ever could. A 12" frame as a rubber stamp? How could that ever work? ;) And even if it could work, the cost would be far more than the vinyl is!

Can you be creative with rub-ons, "self-adhesive die cuts", and patterned paper? None of that's stamping... but you can still craft with it.

I'm excited about the new product line, and I have two customers who are already picking stuff out from the brochure to order July 1st. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

I made a toilet paper dress at a bridal shower once, so yeah it COULD be a craft item. I'm just saying that it is a loooooooooooooooooong stretch.

And it doesn't have to be a STAMP item for it to be in the SU catalogue, I just think it should have something to do with the company other than their designs being used.

This is something that would make COMPLETE sense in the Partylite catalogue as they sell home decor, along with candles. But for a stampin up it just doesn't feel like a natural extension of the company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindakingView Post
Hmmm... as I was looking through the Uppercase Living catalog, I saw plenty of crafts done with their vinyl. ;)

One benefit to vinyl is that it can be used on bigger applications than stamps ever could. A 12" frame as a rubber stamp? How could that ever work? ;) And even if it could work, the cost would be far more than the vinyl is!

Can you be creative with rub-ons, "self-adhesive die cuts", and patterned paper? None of that's stamping... but you can still craft with it.

I'm excited about the new product line, and I have two customers who are already picking stuff out from the brochure to order July 1st. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

I am excited to see the new vinyl die cuts! I made a very cute glass block Christmas decor item with an Uppercase die cut last year. I'm sure SU will have lots of new stamping/scrapbooking/card making products in their new catalog, and I am also looking forward to that!
Vinyl die cuts are not just for walls...the possibilities are endless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Kansas--but I am a true Wisconsinite (Married a Kansan!)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not impressed with the new vinyl line---so, SU won't be getting any business from me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #90  
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

I have been using SU rubber stamps to make items for my home decor for years. I am THRILLED with the new Decor Elements. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

To me, at one point maybe Partylite was just candles and when they stepped into home decor (I don't know much about this company) but someone may have said wait a minute that is way different than candles. Now you see them as a home decor company that includes both.

To respond to your earlier post, you said you understood the point I was trying to make, but in the next breath went on to say why it is completely different so clearly you didn't understand my point. You also forgot the part where I mentioned not only children, but ADULT friends and spouses as well. My point was that I never think it is a bad thing for someone, company, etc to try something new - if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but you'll never know if you don't ever try. That is just the way I live my life - I am positive and encouraging (at least I try my best to be)! Think about this too - you had to know that SU! knew some people would be reacting just as the people saying "stick to stamps" and "do what you do best" and they believed in it enough to do it anyway. I don't know about all of you, but I think that says something and I for one hope it works out for SU! - they wouldn't have brought out a new product line if they thought it would be sacrificing the quality of stampin' stuff. Obviously it isn't their main focus as it isn't even in the catalog. Just my thoughts...off to bed...

Quote:

I made a toilet paper dress at a bridal shower once, so yeah it COULD be a craft item. I'm just saying that it is a loooooooooooooooooong stretch.

And it doesn't have to be a STAMP item for it to be in the SU catalogue, I just think it should have something to do with the company other than their designs being used.

This is something that would make COMPLETE sense in the Partylite catalogue as they sell home decor, along with candles. But for a stampin up it just doesn't feel like a natural extension of the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #92  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't seen the very first Partylite catalogue, but I would guess there is at least one candle holder. Something decorative that you put your candles in and sit in your home. Last time I looked at a partylite book it was still 90% candles/candle holders, very decorative candle holders. I'm just saying that if Partylite wanted to do a home decor line then it would make more sense because they already sell items that you buy to make your home look better.

And I meant that I understood what you were trying to say earlier, but that I didn't think it was a good comparison. This is a BIG company that doesn't need encouraging and makes what it wants. They want to make more money (there's nothing wrong with that) and this is a quick, cheap easy way to do it. Printing images that you already have designs and colors for, and a foot army of people ready to do the hard work for them.

Quote:

To me, at one point maybe Partylite was just candles and when they stepped into home decor (I don't know much about this company) but someone may have said wait a minute that is way different than candles. Now you see them as a home decor company that includes both.

To respond to your earlier post, you said you understood the point I was trying to make, but in the next breath went on to say why it is completely different so clearly you didn't understand my point. You also forgot the part where I mentioned not only children, but ADULT friends and spouses as well. My point was that I never think it is a bad thing for someone, company, etc to try something new - if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but you'll never know if you don't ever try. That is just the way I live my life - I am positive and encouraging (at least I try my best to be)! Think about this too - you had to know that SU! knew some people would be reacting just as the people saying "stick to stamps" and "do what you do best" and they believed in it enough to do it anyway. I don't know about all of you, but I think that says something and I for one hope it works out for SU! - they wouldn't have brought out a new product line if they thought it would be sacrificing the quality of stampin' stuff. Obviously it isn't their main focus as it isn't even in the catalog. Just my thoughts...off to bed...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #93  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

It would be like SU saying they are going to manufacture their own line of toilet paper, in their EXCLUSIVE colors and designs, with new In-colors each year for a limited time. Same colors, same designs and you COULD relate it to paper. But toilet paper is not a craft item and neither is vinyl cling.
OK, so I never used anything but toilet paper cardboard rolls in crafting, but I have to say I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of TP in Stampin' Up! colors. Maybe not all 48 and only if the rolls marched the paper, but I will say the idea is intriguing. ;)

What is and is not a natural craft item is totally in the eye of the beholder. When pipe cleaners first came out the were not a craft item, neither was felt or gromets (which were then miniaturized and turned into "eyelets") or two-pronged paper fasteners (which were miniaturized and turned into "brads"). I've heard that the crop-a-dial started out as a workshop tool men used for something or other but when handles were added it became a women's crafting item (I'm not certain this is true, but it doesn't sound too far fetched)I'm sure coffe filter and dryer sheet manufacturers don't think of their products as "craft" items, yet people use them to craft all the time.

And what about drywall tape? I would have never thought of it as a craft item until I saw it in the SU catalog re-named as mesh (or whatever it was called). I wasn't around then, but was there this much uproar when SU introduced this non-stamping, non-paper item into their accessory line?

Everyone is obviously entitled to their opiion as to what they think is and is not a craft item and what is or is not an obvious extension of Stampin' Up!'s product line. As with all other Stampin' Up! products, I would never encourage anyone who dislikes them to purchase them, because I want my customers to be happy with their purchases. I think, though, that people's perceptions of this particular product here on SCS are being colored by more than just the product line itself, and I think that is unfortunate.

And, as with all other SU products, sometimes seeing how other people use them will make people fall in love with products they thought they hated. After all, how many of us had no interest in stamp sets or downright disliked them until we saw cards here on SCS made with those sets and suddenly they shot up to the top of our must have list?

I'd say if you dislike this product right now that's fine, but give yourself as much room to change your mind as you would on a stamp set you don't care for. I think down the road, after more people post photos of how they're using these products, at least some of you will surprise yourself by what you fall in love with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #94  
Kookie Creator

Default SU

Quote:

Pardon my frank and forthright opinion:

I think this is just plain stupid.

Gasoline right now is nearly $4.50/gal right now. The economy has everyone scared. Flooding in the midwest is only going to drive prices on food and fuel even higher by fall. Flower gardens are being plowed under and replaced by vegetable gardens. People are being *very* discerning with the small amount of "disposable" income they have to spend on extras. Those of us who stamp have already cut back. And right *now* they choose to release vinyl wall clings? Doesn't strike me as a very sound business decision...whether the catalog was planned six months ago or not!

And another thing: If I was a still a demo and spent two or three weeks hyping up a *NEW* product line for them to customers, I would have been downright *pissed*. As a stamper/scrapbooker, the words "New Product Line" means something innovative in the stamping and scrapbooking realm: A hot new variety of ink that turns to edible cheese dust...lickable, chocolate-flavored buttons...self-cleaning stamps. I am certainly not looking to my rubber stamp company to for *home decor* other than how I can use their products to make something for my home that is 100% handcrafted and fits my color scheme and tastes.

I honestly can't think of one single former customer that would be interested in this crap.

ME TOOO!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #95  
Insane Embellisher

Just dropping in to say WOW... this poll has A LOT of responses! I definitely did not expect that when I started it!

I personally think the new vinyl decor line is very pretty after seeing it in the brochure, but was somewhat and confused and disappointed it wasn't more *directly* related to stamping or paper crafts. I will be probably buy a few eventually as the line grows, but it's not something I will continue to invest in the long-run (whereas if it had been a new paper line... new markers... new die cuts... etc.. that would be a different story!)

Thanks to the 500+ people who participated (!!!) and counting... maybe I should forward this poll to SU as a little market research for them, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #96  
Polyshrink Goddess

What I'm finding more interesting that the vinyl on the wall issue is the "Poor SU!/don't be negative issue!"

Jeez, you'd think we were saying, "Wow, did you see Mary's ugly baby?" This is a buisiness, and whether they tell us they care and we are part of a family or not, IT ISN"T FAMILY.

If you say anything other than "rah, rah SU!," you risk getting flamed, nasty comments back, told your poll is too skewed etc. Unless your opinion is that you love it, you'd best be still.

For more chatter, let's talk about the fact that a high-level corporate executive at SU! left them to start Uppercase Living, which is doing really well - and so is he. Suddenly, SU! decides to enter clings too.

And by the way, if UL won't continue to be successful b/c this is a passing fad in the decorating business, how come it's not only okay but terrific for SU! to be expanding into it? Maybe they have invested in the space, employees, etc., so as not to take away from the stamping/scrapping portion of their company, but wouldn't that be as silly if it's not going to last?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #97  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperdoll StephView Post
Just dropping in to say WOW... this poll has A LOT of responses! I definitely did not expect that when I started it!

I personally think the new vinyl decor line is very pretty after seeing it in the brochure, but was somewhat and confused and disappointed it wasn't more *directly* related to stamping or paper crafts. I will be probably buy a few eventually as the line grows, but it's not something I will continue to invest in the long-run (whereas if it had been a new paper line... new markers... new die cuts... etc.. that would be a different story!)

Thanks to the 500+ people who participated (!!!) and counting... maybe I should forward this poll to SU as a little market research for them, lol!
I guess it would depend on if people actually voted how they personally felt about the line or if they voted on how they want to increase their income. Many demos didn't even know about this poll since they seldom if ever venture out of the demo side of SCS. But, someone posted on the demo side about this poll and suggested demos come over and vote. Once that announcement was made the poll results took a definite move from predominately "not thrilled" to more of an even split between "love it" and "not thrilled". As long as everyone voted on how they personally felt about the product and not how they wanted others to feel about it, then it might be a valid poll.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #98  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostamperView Post
I'm curious why it is Ok for them to own Clearsnap, obviously in competition with SU, but it's not OK for demonstrators to sell both Uppercase Living and Stampin' Up!
Because they own both companies, demo's do not own the companies, we are licensed by the companies so we can sell and promote their products for our personal gain.

I would guess that our stamp pads are made by Clearsnap, owning Clearsnap is not in competition as it gives the Gardners more market share of the whole stamp pad market, perhaps they even make the stamp pads for CTMH, and other stamp companies.

Tami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #99  
Stampin' Fool

At first I didn't see how this fit in with SU current line and thought I had no interest in selling or buying these items. Now, however, after reading many posts both pro and con I think it's a great move on SU's part and will not take away from their core business. I'm looking forward to seeing more Design Elements as they are released.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #100  
Crimping Master

Quote:

For those who haven't seen them before, here is a link. The first was the wall candy line which I saw in baby boutiques for about a year before wallies lined with them, then there are decals and MURALS:

http://www.wallies.com/list/new_viny..._murals/page-1

There are also TONS on ETSY which are really cool and have been around for a while:

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p...ery=wall+vinyl
I haven't read this entire thread but all I can say is WOW! I didn't know Wallies had vinyl designs and those etsy designs are awesome!! Unbelievable and the prices are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I guess it would depend on if people actually voted how they personally felt about the line or if they voted on how they want to increase their income. Many demos didn't even know about this poll since they seldom if ever venture out of the demo side of SCS. But, someone posted on the demo side about this poll and suggested demos come over and vote. Once that announcement was made the poll results took a definite move from predominately "not thrilled" to more of an even split between "love it" and "not thrilled". As long as everyone voted on how they personally felt about the product and not how they wanted others to feel about it, then it might be a valid poll.
That's a really good point. I know there are some people who think SU can't do anything wrong and would rush over here to support them no matter what. I also know there are some people, who, for whatever reason, always feel the need to be miserable and point out the negatives with SU. I would guess they'd be here to vote too, so you have to hope that those votes will just cancel each other out and we're left with a true result.

I think everyone should hold off voting until they see the product and the new catty. I didnt' think this was something I'd use but then a demo posted a pic of the happiness one on her van and it was so cute. As long as we have enough new things in the catty that I don't feel this took away from those products, then I won't care. I like the idea of being able to offer something to the ladies at a workshop who don't feel they want to start making cards or scrapping but are there because the neighbor invited them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I haven't seen the very first Partylite catalogue, but I would guess there is at least one candle holder. Something decorative that you put your candles in and sit in your home. Last time I looked at a partylite book it was still 90% candles/candle holders, very decorative candle holders. I'm just saying that if Partylite wanted to do a home decor line then it would make more sense because they already sell items that you buy to make your home look better.

And I meant that I understood what you were trying to say earlier, but that I didn't think it was a good comparison. This is a BIG company that doesn't need encouraging and makes what it wants. They want to make more money (there's nothing wrong with that) and this is a quick, cheap easy way to do it. Printing images that you already have designs and colors for, and a foot army of people ready to do the hard work for them.
You are entitled to your opinion but should really think twice before saying that someone's idea wasn't a good one. It won't affect my posting but others said they were afraid of posting because of people attacking their ideas. This should be an open place to share ideas and you stated that to you it wasn't a "good comparison" - well that's fine but maybe you should go about stating something like that a different way. Honestly one person isn't going to make me not like SCS or post here but for someone else it might so please think about that before you post so directly and negatively in the future. I love SCS and want others to feel free to post without being attacked or told that their ideas are not good or worthwhile. Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

That was in no way an attack/bashing or at all a put down. I apologize if what I said hurt your feelings.

What I meant to say was the comparison wasn't the same. And by "good" I meant equal to not that it was a bad idea and you shouldn't have said it.

You should absolutely feel free to post your opinion and continue to do so.

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion but should really think twice before saying that someone's idea wasn't a good one. It won't affect my posting but others said they were afraid of posting because of people attacking their ideas. This should be an open place to share ideas and you stated that to you it wasn't a "good comparison" - well that's fine but maybe you should go about stating something like that a different way. Honestly one person isn't going to make me not like SCS or post here but for someone else it might so please think about that before you post so directly and negatively in the future. I love SCS and want others to feel free to post without being attacked or told that their ideas are not good or worthwhile. Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #104  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess you could say I am crazy about them--I have a $150 order going in tomorrow that is mainly made up of them!!! I am SO excited--I was planning on having an UCL party and now I won't have to, and I don't have to worry about being tempted to sign up. Give SU a year and I imagine we will have all the designs we could want, and all in their fabulous award-winning artwork.

And yes, I would be just as crazy about this new venture if I wasn't employed with SU and going to Hawaii for free in March LOL I think SU is very smart to jump on a trend that fits right in with their strengths and their core customers--women who love to make beautiful things for their homes and their friends.

And now, if no one minds, I will be going to post my vote. I hope the poll will not be "tainted" in any way. I didn't know (but should have guessed) that anything was "going on" on the general side until I found it all on my own, having used a different computer to log on tonight. Enough disclaimers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

But, but, Lyssa! Didn't you know you can't post in this thread unless you insult *something*?????? Come on, I know you can do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #106  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, pardon me! Let's see.... give me a minute... I DO happen to have decided opinions on a couple of subjects. I'm sure I can come up with something. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #107  
Gallery Gazer

I am not angry or upset at Stampin' Up for developing a new product line. I am just not interested AT ALL in purchasing anything from the new vinyl wall decor line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #108  
Insane Embellisher

I love SU products and one thing that keeps me buying from them is that most of their product line is not available or better done by any other company. I can get beautiful wall decor elsewhere. I would have preferred something new and unique that I can't buy at my local Walmart or Target.

To me this new venture just seems a bit "off the wall" (pun intended) for SU. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #109  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, I'd love to use some in a bathroom or the guest bedroom, some of those tall plants would look cool, or the big flowers...

But I have textured walls. :(

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #110  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
Well, I'd love to use some in a bathroom or the guest bedroom, some of those tall plants would look cool, or the big flowers...

But I have textured walls. :(
I saw pictures of some from demo's homes and they had textured walls. They seemed to work just fine. Don't give up hope yet as more people use them we should have a better idea of just how well they work on textured walls.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 03:42 AM   #111  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by akstampmamaView Post
I saw pictures of some from demo's homes and they had textured walls. They seemed to work just fine. Don't give up hope yet as more people use them we should have a better idea of just how well they work on textured walls.
The photos I've seen from demos so far have been where the SU ones have been put on smooth surfaces. The textured wall photos have been from other companies. SU's application instructions specifically state what they don't recommend them on - doesn't mean they won't work on those surfaces at all. Just means that we'll have to wait until more demos receive their pre-orders and show all the types of surfaces SU's actually work on. Just because one company's product works on a surface doesn't always mean another company's similar product will or won't. Kind of like companies who state that their t-shirts are pre-shrunk. Some of those shirts hold their size when you wash and dry them. Other companies pre-shrunk shirts still shrink some. You have to wait and see on a company by company basis unless you know that their base material for the product is all supplied by the same outside supplier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #112  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodImpressionsView Post
I am not angry or upset at Stampin' Up for developing a new product line. I am just not interested AT ALL in purchasing anything from the new vinyl wall decor line.
This is the way I feel. I'm not upset with SU for offering these, but I'm not interested and won't be buying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #113  
Crimping Master

Default PartyLite and SU!

PartyLite is candles (and hardware for candles) and now they have stretched out into music boxes, decorative ceramics, lotions, creams, spa stuff, CDs. Hmmmm, whatever happened to staying with your core? :rolleyes: I order quite frequently from my PartyLite Consultant who wishes she could support me in my business more than she does (she's not really a stamper). Now, with Decor Elements, I may have something she's more interested in!

I have placed one order for Decor Elements and will be placing a second on July 1 along with all the other stuff I need for my business. I am looking forward to applying the Baroque Medallions to the sliding glass doors to my balcony. These medallions will had to the ambiance I am trying to create there.

Other uses I'm considering: suncatchers, decorating the fridge (why not?), car bling. I'm also anxiously waiting for the next phase. Can't wait to see what else is in store.

Didn't vote, so the results are a little less skewed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #114  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
The photos I've seen from demos so far have been where the SU ones have been put on smooth surfaces. The textured wall photos have been from other companies. SU's application instructions specifically state what they don't recommend them on - doesn't mean they won't work on those surfaces at all. Just means that we'll have to wait until more demos receive their pre-orders and show all the types of surfaces SU's actually work on. Just because one company's product works on a surface doesn't always mean another company's similar product will or won't. Kind of like companies who state that their t-shirts are pre-shrunk. Some of those shirts hold their size when you wash and dry them. Other companies pre-shrunk shirts still shrink some. You have to wait and see on a company by company basis unless you know that their base material for the product is all supplied by the same outside supplier.
Well, luckily at least one demo as already posted a pic of them on her textured walls and they worked very nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

As for other ideas my mother in law took one of those glass blocks (usually used for see through type shower enclosures) and applied Uppercase Living snowflakes in silver and Let it Snow in red on it. Mine doesn't have the Christmas lights inside but you could do that too. I know right now the colors are pretty limited but if this goes well I bet they'll add more colors - just thought I'd share, especially as some people have trepidation (rightfully so b/c of the disclaimer although I'm sure they have to do that even though I can't imagine that they'll leave something on the wall. I love the block she made me - it is so fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepesmomView Post
PartyLite is candles (and hardware for candles) and now they have stretched out into music boxes, decorative ceramics, lotions, creams, spa stuff, CDs. Hmmmm, whatever happened to staying with your core? :rolleyes: I order quite frequently from my PartyLite Consultant who wishes she could support me in my business more than she does (she's not really a stamper). Now, with Decor Elements, I may have something she's more interested in!

I have placed one order for Decor Elements and will be placing a second on July 1 along with all the other stuff I need for my business. I am looking forward to applying the Baroque Medallions to the sliding glass doors to my balcony. These medallions will had to the ambiance I am trying to create there.

Other uses I'm considering: suncatchers, decorating the fridge (why not?), car bling. I'm also anxiously waiting for the next phase. Can't wait to see what else is in store.

Didn't vote, so the results are a little less skewed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #116  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

...Would you say that to your child if they wanted to try something new, or a friend or your husband?...
By this logic, I suppose I should have no problem buying macaroni and cheese from a company who has historically only manufactured rat poison, right? :mrgreen:

Actually, I don't have a problem telling my kids what our family is/is not going to invest in. I have told them that no, I am *not* investing in Pokemon cards (what all of their friends play) because 2 years ago they chose to collect Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. No, we're *not* switching to or adding on Tae-Kwon-Do when we've been pursuing karate for four years. I've told DH: No, we're *not* buying the new latest-and-greatest tent - the one we have is just fine for our needs. And I would vociferously object if any of them wanted to cavedive or play with rattlesnakes. That's my job...be encouraging but rational.

It's not about whether or not to try anything new - it's about a responsible use of resources. I'm sure the powers at SU! could argue that using their in-place demos to market this new line for them is responsible. I would argue that it's just another catalog for demos to buy with their meager instant income, another set of forms to buy to have on hand just in case, another sets of examples to have on hand for the occasional person who wants to see them before they buy. Something new and diverse to demo for SU!...no increase in benefits for the demos to do it. IMNSHO this is an irresponsible use of demonstrators for an unproven product.

I think these decals are stupid and ugly. I think once again there is too much emphasis on "girl theme" and little to none for those of us who have more "masculine" households. I will not buy them because they don't appeal to *me.* But I certainly don't care that other people will. I'm sure they're appealing to plenty of people out there. Who knows - maybe SU! will even have a hit with these.

What irritates me is that SU! has polled my opinion as to why I have left my demonstratorship. Ummmm, *DUH*???? In the past two years, SU! has made being a demo *unattractive*: reduction in benefits and override income; increase in number of downlines (and what "level" they are at) to determine your promotion/compensation level; so many "recycled" stamp sets that look *waaaaaaaay* too much like retired sets except for being "updated" with the hottest new fad/flair; long-term hobby demos dropping off like leaves from a dead plant (which, admittedly, they never have and never will have any problem replacing); *customers* not liking the new sets.

So...I am left honestly questioning: Did demo benefits change to divert their resources to this "...new product line..."? If so, it's too bad. There are plenty of other stamp companies out there who meet my needs. And by the looks of the gallery these days, I'm not the only one making that choice. ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #117  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

By this logic, I suppose I should have no problem buying macaroni and cheese from a company who has historically only manufactured rat poison, right? :mrgreen:

Actually, I don't have a problem telling my kids what our family is/is not going to invest in. I have told them that no, I am *not* investing in Pokemon cards (what all of their friends play) because 2 years ago they chose to collect Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. No, we're *not* switching to or adding on Tae-Kwon-Do when we've been pursuing karate for four years. I've told DH: No, we're *not* buying the new latest-and-greatest tent - the one we have is just fine for our needs. And I would vociferously object if any of them wanted to cavedive or play with rattlesnakes. That's my job...be encouraging but rational.

It's not about whether or not to try anything new - it's about a responsible use of resources. I'm sure the powers at SU! could argue that using their in-place demos to market this new line for them is responsible. I would argue that it's just another catalog for demos to buy with their meager instant income, another set of forms to buy to have on hand just in case, another sets of examples to have on hand for the occasional person who wants to see them before they buy. Something new and diverse to demo for SU!...no increase in benefits for the demos to do it. IMNSHO this is an irresponsible use of demonstrators for an unproven product.

I think these decals are stupid and ugly. I think once again there is too much emphasis on "girl theme" and little to none for those of us who have more "masculine" households. I will not buy them because they don't appeal to *me.* But I certainly don't care that other people will. I'm sure they're appealing to plenty of people out there. Who knows - maybe SU! will even have a hit with these.

What irritates me is that SU! has polled my opinion as to why I have left my demonstratorship. Ummmm, *DUH*???? In the past two years, SU! has made being a demo *unattractive*: reduction in benefits and override income; increase in number of downlines (and what "level" they are at) to determine your promotion/compensation level; so many "recycled" stamp sets that look *waaaaaaaay* too much like retired sets except for being "updated" with the hottest new fad/flair; long-term hobby demos dropping off like leaves from a dead plant (which, admittedly, they never have and never will have any problem replacing); *customers* not liking the new sets.

So...I am left honestly questioning: Did demo benefits change to divert their resources to this "...new product line..."? If so, it's too bad. There are plenty of other stamp companies out there who meet my needs. And by the looks of the gallery these days, I'm not the only one making that choice. ~ kbc
If that is you NSHO than I hate to hear you HO...I don't believe that SU! has made being a demo unattractive...I myself just joined in Feb. If you compare SU! compensation to other companies it is right in line and as far as the DE go demos have the choice to demo them or not...to order the catalog supplement or not. If they have a customer interested and they are not interested than what is the harm in saying that. You can just refer them to an online copy or carry one printed online copy with you for the chance that one of your customers know about them...if you as a demo don't want you customers to know, than I would assume that they would not ask if they were not interested.

Visit My Stampin' Up! Website!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #118  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow - if I would've known that people would blow my comment out of proportion I wouldn't have made it. The people who have been quoting me don't at all get what I was saying.

I was talking about trying something new...like if your husband was miserable in his job wouldn't you encourage him to try something different? Or if your child wanted to do soccer this year instead of tball? Or if your friend wanted to move to a new city for a new experience? I wasn't talking about BUYING - not a new tent, or mac n cheese, or cards.

With that said, I am going to ask, since I cannot delete my post that no one else comment on my statement. If you have something negative to say just say it but please don't try to interpret what I've said because so far the people who've used my message as a quote have not understood my meaning. I still have the same feelings so I'm not changing my opinion and I'm not saying that anyone needs to change theirs but just don't use my message to make a retort when it has nothing to do with my original intent. I knew what I meant and others may understand what I really meant but I'm kind of sick of it being misconstrued. Just make your comments without quoting my message please. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #119  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessi_andrewView Post
If that is you NSHO than I hate to hear you HO...I don't believe that SU! has made being a demo unattractive...I myself just joined in Feb. If you compare SU! compensation to other companies it is right in line and as far as the DE go demos have the choice to demo them or not...to order the catalog supplement or not. If they have a customer interested and they are not interested than what is the harm in saying that. You can just refer them to an online copy or carry one printed online copy with you for the chance that one of your customers know about them...if you as a demo don't want you customers to know, than I would assume that they would not ask if they were not interested.

What is "NSHO" and "HO"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #120  
Hardware Hotshot

I was not thrilled at first. I'm not terribly excited to buy right now either, but my customers and co-workers are. I'm excited because they might just start making my minimums for me again! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes