Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Please Please...

Add a watermark of your blog or just your name to your photos when putting them out there for the world to see.

I was just on Pinterest and some cards when clicked on didn't take me to a source of where the picture came from

Just my 2 cents for the day.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

I think everyone should do that. A good idea for all to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have seen a lot of this lately. If I like something I see on Pinterest, instead of repinning, I will go to the original sight and pin it from there. I also go to the actual post (permanent URL) instead of pinning from the homepage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I do not watermark my cards and the reason why is it takes to long. I do not have photoshop so I have to do it in preview with iphoto or I have to use my archaic photo editing software. It adds so much time to the task that I would just rather not do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerbyLeaView Post
I do not watermark my cards and the reason why is it takes to long. I do not have photoshop so I have to do it in preview with iphoto or I have to use my archaic photo editing software. It adds so much time to the task that I would just rather not do it.
I totally understand it adding a lot of time. Maybe make a small notecard with your info and photograph it with the card. Or I know in Photobucket.com you can add text to your photos.

I hope nobody thinks I would like to see this done for selfish reasons. I just think it's sad that somebody isn't getting the credit for these beautiful creations.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought the point of Pinterest was that it would always take you to the source? I don't think I've ever clicked on anything where I couldn't get to the original. Of course... can't say I've clicked on hundreds or anything (still not quite addicted!).

There is a program I have found that is EXCELLENT for watermarking -- FAST and EASY. It's called Visual Watermark. You can use it for free, but it will add a note in the lower right corner... 'please register visual watermark' or something like that. But you can buy the program for only $20.

You create your watermark, drag and drop the files, click and it's done! I have my watermarked images put in their own folder and maintain the originals for artwork.... for some reason, I always forget to watermark my cards!!

Seriously it's about the easiest program I've ever used. And it's reliable. I even had my computer die and when I got my new one, found my email, and reinstalled it - no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh good grief, i have saved tons of cards i have seen that i like, ----- If i repin it, i am not trying to say i made the card. Is this what this post is about? Hope not, cause i wil keep repinning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

My impression is that the OP just wants people to be able to find your original card if others pin it. And if it somehow doesn't link to the original source, if you watermark it people can find you. It's really a very thoughtful suggestion.

There was another thread here about someone who complained that someone else pinned their card!! Like it was theft! The overwhelming reaction was that people LOVE to have their cards pinned and repinned - that's what it's all about!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsStack79View Post
Add a watermark of your blog or just your name to your photos when putting them out there for the world to see.

I was just on Pinterest and some cards when clicked on didn't take me to a source of where the picture came from

Just my 2 cents for the day.
Dawn, maybe you are just one click away from the original source. Once it's enlarged, try clicking on it one more time. I always end up at the original.

And some things like recipes and home decor - when you get the large view, there is a link to the upper right as well to take you to the source.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

One problem, which I didn't know about when I first started using Pinterest, is that sometimes, when people pin items -- specifically if it's a blog post -- they don't pin to the specific post, they pin to the person's blog instead. It's an easy mistake to make. I guess another problem is people will pin images from google images, and that doesn't always work.

There are lots of blogs and websites out there that discuss the etiquette of pinning . Here's an interesting one I just found that specifically deals with crafting: Miss Manners: Pinterest -Style | CrafterMinds.

I love Pinterest, and some of the Pinterest posts people make do make you think about things. There is a forum where posting images from a members-only website is being debated, because people post items there that aren't released to the public yet, or they don't want anyone to see, etc -- if you click through the image you can't log in to the the product, to see what was specifically used, unless you have an account -- but the image is sometimes all you need. Its a pretty interesting discussion.

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually pin from the button I put in my toolbar. So when I hit 'pin it' I'm given all of the photos on that page.

When you click on an individual item on someone's board, you are shown the photo enlarged. When you click again, you are taken to that page -- the photo is going to be on that page in the blog.

There's also a link to the blog at the top and when I click on that-- even though the path shown doesn't go all the way to that post, it does still take you to that page.

I'm not sure how you pin to get only that particular post, but frankly it's close enough to me.

I can see what you mean about pinning from somewhere you have to log in to ... kind of pointless for sharing but if you're using Pinterest for your own personal 'bookmarking' then I guess that's too bad for others. I think you could just add to the description 'need login to view this site' or something if you want to be considerate of nonmembers so they don't waste time clicking on it.

If Pinterest becomes "rule-laden" I'll live fine without it. I think sometimes simple concepts become overcomplicated and that sucks all the fun out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Phantom, I agree with you, when I pin cards I find, it's like my favorites on this site. I knew it wouldn't be long till there was controversy ! Oh well!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerbyLeaView Post
I open my photo in paint and add a clear text box. It isn't the prettiest but it only takes me about 15 seconds to add my name and blog address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcityView Post
Phantom, I agree with you, when I pin cards I find, it's like my favorites on this site. I knew it wouldn't be long till there was controversy ! Oh well!!!

This is me. Exactly what I use it for---like my own favorites site all rolled into one.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jactopView Post
I open my photo in paint and add a clear text box. It isn't the prettiest but it only takes me about 15 seconds to add my name and blog address.
No paint, I am on a mac. I can do it- I mean I know how, it just adds time and for me I really feel like time is something I am always short on. I know someone could steal my photo and honestly that bugs me a little but not enough to give the extra time. I was just explaining why I do (or actually dont) do it. The idea of a little post it note is cute. I might try that. I wish there a way to quickly do it in iphoto but the closest thing I have found is preview and while it doesn't take forever it takes long enough that I am just not interested. Call me lazy!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcityView Post
Oh good grief, i have saved tons of cards i have seen that i like, ----- If i repin it, i am not trying to say i made the card. Is this what this post is about? Hope not, cause i wil keep repinning.
No, the point to this post is that Dawn noticed that there are several pictures posted on Pintrest that do not have a water mark on them and the creator of the cards will not get credit for their hard work like they deserve.

Thanks Dawn for your input!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting that this just came up in my email notification. I haven't thought about Pinterest for quite awhile. When I read the controversy over their TOS, I bailed immediately - closed my account and have only gone back to browse some friends' pins. I actually set my blogs to be unPinnable. But...

I have uploaded to my gallery here on SCS recently and had not bothered to watermark my photos. Since I don't know if I can do anything about my gallery being pinned, I guess I need to remember to watermark again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just to explain my post above a little bit, I'll refer anyone interested to this article which points out the problems with Pinterest as well as changes that have been made:

Pinterest Terms Of Service Get Updated

My primary issue was "sell" which seems to have been "fixed," but I also have a problem with the removal of the etiquette wording regarding "self-promotion." I think it won't be long before the original concept of Pinterest is overrun with promotion. It's already being adopted by many companies as a way of getting visibility for their products vs. the 'community bulletin board' feel that it started out with.

A Google search of "pinterest terms of service controversy" reveals a number of interesting articles that turned me off the site several months ago. Maybe they have addressed these problems but I decided based on these issues that it's one venue I can do without .

Pinterest TOS search on Google
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #19  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DerbyLea- I'm on a Mac too and I use the free editing software Gimp to add my watermark. It is a few extra steps added onto uploading to my blog and here but I think it's worth the time. I usually do several photos at a time and once you get going it's pretty fast.

If you use a personalized "hand stamped by" on the back of your cards you can always place the actual stamp in front of your card so your name is at least with the project.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

GREAT article Michele! Thanks for linking it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hquinzelleView Post
One problem, which I didn't know about when I first started using Pinterest, is that sometimes, when people pin items -- specifically if it's a blog post -- they don't pin to the specific post, they pin to the person's blog instead. It's an easy mistake to make. I guess another problem is people will pin images from google images, and that doesn't always work.

There are lots of blogs and websites out there that discuss the etiquette of pinning . Here's an interesting one I just found that specifically deals with crafting: Miss Manners: Pinterest -Style | CrafterMinds.

I love Pinterest, and some of the Pinterest posts people make do make you think about things. There is a forum where posting images from a members-only website is being debated, because people post items there that aren't released to the public yet, or they don't want anyone to see, etc -- if you click through the image you can't log in to the the product, to see what was specifically used, unless you have an account -- but the image is sometimes all you need. Its a pretty interesting discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I should come back and clarify what I wanted people to get from my original post.

If I see a card on Pinterest, I would want to go to the blog of the person who made the card. If you don't watermark and for some reason the pin doesn't take me to your blog how can I find you? Unless you don't want me to find you.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't about the person who is pinning but for the person who's stuff is being pinned.

Phantom got what I was trying to say when she posted this
My impression is that the OP just wants people to be able to find your original card if others pin it. And if it somehow doesn't link to the original source, if you watermark it people can find you. It's really a very thoughtful suggestion.

There was another thread here about someone who complained that someone else pinned their card!! Like it was theft! The overwhelming reaction was that people LOVE to have their cards pinned and repinned - that's what it's all about!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

Believe it or not I really haven't spent time on Pinterest. I have a busy day job but love my evening stamping time and don't want too many distractions from my little spare time. I don't have a blog so if someone has pinned a card it came from a post here on SCS. I haven't watermarked my many cards as I also have a Mac & didn't get around to purchasing software. Just today I was playing around w Ribbet but haven't finished figuring it out for a watermark. I guess I should be a little more diligent about it! Is there a way of finding out if my cards have been 'pinned'? I'm a little curious now. Thanks, ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandypandyView Post
DerbyLea- I'm on a Mac too and I use the free editing software Gimp to add my watermark. It is a few extra steps added onto uploading to my blog and here but I think it's worth the time. I usually do several photos at a time and once you get going it's pretty fast.

If you use a personalized "hand stamped by" on the back of your cards you can always place the actual stamp in front of your card so your name is at least with the project.
I have a Mac too. Could you post the steps you use to do this? Thanks.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAKathView Post
Believe it or not I really haven't spent time on Pinterest. I have a busy day job but love my evening stamping time and don't want too many distractions from my little spare time. I don't have a blog so if someone has pinned a card it came from a post here on SCS. I haven't watermarked my many cards as I also have a Mac & didn't get around to purchasing software. Just today I was playing around w Ribbet but haven't finished figuring it out for a watermark. I guess I should be a little more diligent about it! Is there a way of finding out if my cards have been 'pinned'? I'm a little curious now. Thanks, ladies.
I know you can check from your own blog, or from SCS as a whole, but I haven't been able to work out a way of seeing if anything from my gallery here has been. I'd be curious to know, too.

For those who don't want to add a whole watermark, even just your name with the Text Tool in any software is an identifier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Photo Watermark Software for Mac and Windows - Visual Watermark has a Mac version too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #26  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the most amazing sites through pinterest. If I love something I always trace it to the original site to see if it is a blog or site I want to favorite. Sometimes pins are untraceable.
I find so much on there that I don't sweat that I can't find the source, just not a project I will pursue if I need directions.
It would be nice if all artists could get credit for their lovely work.

Pinterest was started for some friends and family to share stuff they liked. It blew up in popularity. I am not worried about my art work being stolen and 3 cheers if someone wants to copy me. I actually don't post my own stuff and no one looks at my unattended blog so ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsStack79View Post
I totally understand it adding a lot of time. Maybe make a small notecard with your info and photograph it with the card. Or I know in Photobucket.com you can add text to your photos.

I hope nobody thinks I would like to see this done for selfish reasons. I just think it's sad that somebody isn't getting the credit for these beautiful creations.
I know this was posted a while ago, but I love the idea of using a small notecard with my info and photographing it with the card! Awesome idea and less time to do!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I downloaded Pisaca for free on my computer and have taught myself how to do it, which if I can do anyone should be able to do. I also added the
"Pin It" button on my tool bar so if I see something I like and can "Pin It" right then and it from the original creators blog post.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
I have found the most amazing sites through pinterest. If I love something I always trace it to the original site to see if it is a blog or site I want to favorite. Sometimes pins are untraceable.
I find so much on there that I don't sweat that I can't find the source, just not a project I will pursue if I need directions.
It would be nice if all artists could get credit for their lovely work.

Pinterest was started for some friends and family to share stuff they liked. It blew up in popularity. I am not worried about my art work being stolen and 3 cheers if someone wants to copy me. I actually don't post my own stuff and no one looks at my unattended blog so ...
SuG, you have a nice blog! I don't think people realize how much work can be involve in having a blog, but I still like having one, so not complaining here. :mrgreen:

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I love Pinterest and get so many ideas and recipes and household tips there! One of my pet peeves is a pin that is not linked to the original source, BUT i have found a way to root it out.

First-download the photo to your desktop.
Go to Google. at the top,click "Images". It will open a dialogue box where you can upload the picture. Upload it and Google will find the places the picture is displayed. You can then usually find the place where it was originally posted.
If you have re-pinned it, you can go in and edit the link so it will always point to the source and anyone that re-pins your pin will have the correct link back to it.
I hope that made sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
I love Pinterest and get so many ideas and recipes and household tips there! One of my pet peeves is a pin that is not linked to the original source, BUT i have found a way to root it out.

First-download the photo to your desktop.
Go to Google. at the top,click "Images". It will open a dialogue box where you can upload the picture. Upload it and Google will find the places the picture is displayed. You can then usually find the place where it was originally posted.
If you have re-pinned it, you can go in and edit the link so it will always point to the source and anyone that re-pins your pin will have the correct link back to it.
I hope that made sense!
This sounds like a cool way to do it. Can't wait to try this out when I get home. I try to pin from the original source and not just repin. The key is to get to the actual post versus the home page of the blog because if you click back months later, the pin takes you to the most recent postings and not the other postings that were originally displayed. The home page of the blog only shoes say, 6 or 7 (or whatever number) of the most recent postings. When trying to find an older post, you might have to click and review several pages of archived or older posts. Clear as mud?

Last edited by lharnish; 08-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes