Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paper curling on ends

Help! I am making cards from scraps, lot of strips and squares. But I cant seem to get the ends (top, bottom, and sides) to lay flat. They seem ok for a short while. But as they sit, they curI slightly. I have tried glue dots on the very edge, liquid glue and tape Any suggestions or is anyone else having trouble with that? TIA!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2023, 05:10 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymkraftsView Post
Help! I am making cards from scraps, lot of strips and squares. But I cant seem to get the ends (top, bottom, and sides) to lay flat. They seem ok for a short while. But as they sit, they curI slightly. I have tried glue dots on the very edge, liquid glue and tape Any suggestions or is anyone else having trouble with that? TIA!!
Hi there! Sounds like a fun project! After you add a super sticky tape, would your card design work if you then used an embossing folder to really seal it in place? Or maybe try sending it through your die cut machine without an EF? Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
kymkrafts (04-30-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:21 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 307 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with bzzzeee in sending it through your die cutting machine. Make the design larger than what you intend it to be and run it through the machine using the size square die you want. Last month I made a lot of cards using my scraps like this, and had no issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by AScrapofKindness:
bzzzeee (04-30-2023), kymkrafts (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 03:52 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I will try this! Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2023, 04:24 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

I love scrap cards!
I like the pressing idea.
Or you can lay something heavy on the card like acrylic blocks or books.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 05:48 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a big fan of heavy books too but I never thought about using my die cutting machine. Thanks ladies.........they say you learn something new every day and mine is out of the way for today and it's not even 7:00 am!
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 07:14 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
Hi there! Sounds like a fun project! After you add a super sticky tape, would your card design work if you then used an embossing folder to really seal it in place? Or maybe try sending it through your die cut machine without an EF? Hope that helps!
This what I do. I do put the card between a piece of copy paper to be no scratch marks from the cutting plates ruin the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by basketdiva:
Alice in Md (05-02-2023), bzzzeee (04-30-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,134 Likes on 511 Posts

I put cards between the pages of a heavy book while glue dries.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dini:
123scrap (05-03-2023), Chinocookie (05-04-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 11:15 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Use a heavier weight cardstock or paper. Lighter weight materials may be more prone to curling or warping over time.
  2. Consider using a double-sided tape instead of liquid glue or glue dots. This can help to keep the edges of your pieces flat and secure.
  3. Use a bone folder or other tool to crease your folds and edges firmly. This can help to create sharper, more defined creases that are less likely to curl or warp.
  4. Store your cards in a cool, dry place to avoid humidity or other factors that could cause warping over time.
  5. Consider using a weight or press to help flatten your cards as they dry. You can place a heavy book or other object on top of your cards as they dry to help keep them flat.
  6. If all else fails, you may want to try adding a decorative element to cover any slight curling or warping. For example, you could add a ribbon or other embellishment along the edges to help hide any imperfections.

Hope it helps you
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by PalmapQuagga:
123scrap (05-03-2023), Alice in Md (05-03-2023), bzzzeee (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 02:00 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I use all kinds of card stocks to make my cards and I've also used scraps. One more tip to add to the list that you can try: Using a corner rounder (I use my ancient WRMK Corner Chomper) on the card corners really does help sometimes, it's like it helps it "relax" the tension or something. XOX
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 05:23 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

I use sticky paper. Cut the panel to the desired size, remove the carrier and then lay your strips onto the sticky surface. Trim off the extra even with the edges. A friend gave me a bunch of this stuff and it is really convenient if you make a lot of scrap cards. Another friend says she uses the sticky labels that come in junk mail the same way as the prepared sticky paper that you can buy. Before this, I ran a piece of cardstock through my xyron to make my sticky surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2023, 05:25 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Forgot the return labels that come with a package work the same way. The writing gets glued or taped down, so doesn't show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve made some weights using little organza gift bags with ribbon drawstring closures and BBs. I swear that I can use any paper or glue, have the most horrible warp yet after leaving a card to rest under them, I always have a flat card. Sometimes as little as an hour, sometimes over night. I have several sizes, small ones for a limited area, I use multiples for an entire card. I keep them in a fabric pencil case. When something is very warped, I add the whole pencil case!

I like them better than any other methods I’ve tried because the conform to any embellies, foam tape or bulky layers on my card. Books and acrylic blocks or weights can’t do that. Cheap and easy to make.

note: I bought painted BBs as I was worried with friction over time, metal dust might fall off and get on my project.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebecca Ednie:
jeanne3579 (05-04-2023), wavejumper (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 12:42 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I’ve made some weights using little organza gift bags with ribbon drawstring closures and BBs. I swear that I can use any paper or glue, have the most horrible warp yet after leaving a card to rest under them, I always have a flat card. Sometimes as little as an hour, sometimes over night. I have several sizes, small ones for a limited area, I use multiples for an entire card. I keep them in a fabric pencil case. When something is very warped, I add the whole pencil case!

I like them better than any other methods I’ve tried because the conform to any embellies, foam tape or bulky layers on my card. Books and acrylic blocks or weights can’t do that. Cheap and easy to make.

note: I bought painted BBs as I was worried with friction over time, metal dust might fall off and get on my project.

That is very smart! It is true a book could smash down popped up elements. Or wait to put those on till the BG is smoothed out...I have BBs I will keep this tip in mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Are your bags filled tightly, like a bean bag, or more loosely? I'm having trouble picturing this, but am very interested in giving it a go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Any way you could submit a picture?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #17  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Great idea. I have some really heavy little pincushions my sister made filled with emery powder that might work.
Reply With Quote Likes