Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #1  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default organizing stamp sets

how do you organize your stamp sets on your shelves? I have been unmounting mine so I have them in the dvd cases on a book shelf but the organization doesn't seem to be as clear for some reason. Just wondering how others do it.
Alphabetical by stamp name, by season? by style?
thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 809 Likes on 331 Posts

I keep mine in the SU boxes they come in, or in CD cases, then put them in Iris Cart drawers arranged by theme.

Jamie, another member of SCS, and I have been sharing organization methods on our blogs. She is an SU Demo, so has a lot more sets than I do. I think it matters if you have more individual stamps or sets as far as how it would be best to store them. You can check out our blogs for pictures and descriptions if you like. Mine is listed in my signature and Jamie's is here:
Jamie's Stamping Cafe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #3  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

i was thinking by category, since I don't always remember the name of a stamp set. I have over 400 sets at last count, and I haven't counted in a while.
thank you for the links.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I organize them by company and within the company if necessary by categories such as holidays, sentiments, backgrounds, kids, vintage, florals. . .

I have a feeling I don't have as many stamps as a lot of people though ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine broken down into very large categories: sentiment sets, seasonal, flowers/birds/butterflies, birthday, masculine, etc.

You will find what categories will work best for you. I also keep DT stamp sets in separate bins since I have to work with them separately. But I am working on categorizing those in the same way, too. It helps when you have a particular project in mind and don't want to sift through ALL of your sets.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #6  

I keep all my retired stamp sets in alphabetical order on shelves. I store my current stamp sets on a different shelf inside another cabinet so that I can finds those sets easier.

I tried sorting them by occasions, but that just got too confusing for me since several stamp sets can be for more than one occasion and I didn't want to break up my sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I keep all my retired stamp sets in alphabetical order on shelves. I store my current stamp sets on a different shelf inside another cabinet so that I can finds those sets easier.

I tried sorting them by occasions, but that just got too confusing for me since several stamp sets can be for more than one occasion and I didn't want to break up my sets.
That's what I've been wondering about LaLatty. So far the SU sets I've bought are related, but some of them on my wish list are not. I don't want to separate my sets either. You know this organization stuff is just an ongoing thing isn't it?

I just never ends :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I am unmounted and I store mine in Snap Boxes from OTC, they are my company in alphabetical order, the boxes say like...SU a-cl, SU cl-hi...etc...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #9  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

I have my retired sets on a couple of shelves and my current sets on a couple more sets. I then have them stacked in 3 catagories; matches punches I have, word sets, everything else. I am kind of visual, so I'll remember I have a bird image, but not what the set was called, so I have to look through the stack until I find the bird I'm searching for.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
I am unmounted and I store mine in Snap Boxes from OTC, they are my company in alphabetical order, the boxes say like...SU a-cl, SU cl-hi...etc...
What company is OTC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I may be shot but for storage reasons I started my stamping collection with clear stamps; not the rubber mounted variety - only have a few of those. Anyways, what I do is have storage boxes and my stamps are all in one. I have a box for alphabet sets, Christmas, sentiments, backgrounds, etc. But then, my collection is very modest only taking up one shelf in my cupboard. Not sure how many that is.

Also, I keep my stamps in the packages they came in mostly unless they got damaged. I like knowing the brand etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #12  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

yes it is an ongoing process. I think I will probably go back to categories. I just want to hear what others do incase I miss an idea ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use to have all of my sets shelved by category. II have now unmounted all of them, put them into cd cases, and have them in the photo boxes in alphabetical order.

I also have a spreadsheet in alphabetical order of the stamp set name and a picture of the set. So I can browse, electronically, and then go to the sets.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I unmounted my Stampin Up sets almost 4 years ago and I have never regretted it. I have index binders with each set on a separate page and these are in page protectors so if I want to rearrange them, it is easy. I have the binders separated by category and so are the stamps. I have a numbering system so that they are cross referenced. The only thing that I wish I had done differently is to just number the sets consecutively instead of separating by categories. I have some close up pictures in my gallery so that you can see how they are cross referenced. I did move the stamps to a CD shelf that is in my closet so the pictures of how I store them is out of date.

Barbara's Stamp Room by bwstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Barbara's Stamp Room by bwstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #15  

Received 855 Likes on 281 Posts

Mine are organized simply by whether they are retired or current (I'm an SU demo) and then alphabetically.they are all on an open shelf. I keep an excel file with the names of the sets also alphabetically. Whenever I add a new set I just insert the name of it in the proper spot on my excel file. It works great and I find I'm using more of my stamp sets more frequently than I did when I had them by category (Christmas, sentiments, etc...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I organize by category also. First I have florals, then fall, Christmas, winter, Valentine's day, sentiments, birthday, and last general images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #17  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
Mine are organized simply by whether they are retired or current (I'm an SU demo) and then alphabetically.they are all on an open shelf. I keep an excel file with the names of the sets also alphabetically. Whenever I add a new set I just insert the name of it in the proper spot on my excel file. It works great and I find I'm using more of my stamp sets more frequently than I did when I had them by category (Christmas, sentiments, etc...)
why do you think that is? I would think you would use them more if they were in category. hmm interesting.
I don't care if they are retired since I am hobby only. But with the massive amount of sets I own I don't remember the names the way i used to when a) I didn't have so many and b) I was actively demoing - I knew the catty inside out and knew every stamp name, but not so much anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #18  

Received 855 Likes on 281 Posts

I think it's because when I had them by category i would shove them back up on the shelf and they weren't always in the same place as the time before. Alphabetically the stamp set goes in the exact same place as I took it from every single time. So, when I'm looking for a particular set my brain has created a memory path for it so I just go to where I need to, read a title or two and pick it up. Whereas when it was by category I would usually have to look through a good number of sets before i found the one I wanted because it wasn't in the exact same space as before :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I think it's because when I had them by category i would shove them back up on the shelf and they weren't always in the same place as the time before. Alphabetically the stamp set goes in the exact same place as I took it from every single time. So, when I'm looking for a particular set my brain has created a memory path for it so I just go to where I need to, read a title or two and pick it up. Whereas when it was by category I would usually have to look through a good number of sets before i found the one I wanted because it wasn't in the exact same space as before :-)
I think how people's minds work to organize things is so interesting.

My brain has created a memory path for categories or themes and I know just where they go and put them back in the same place each time. When I unmounted some stamps, that memory path was disrupted as some of the stamps went in different drawers.

What works for one, doesn't work for another. How true that is
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Very true!!! What is clear and easy to understand for one person, may be completely incomprehendable to another. Soooo true ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I alphabetize mine by name within their company group. I think this comes from spending years working in a bookstore. I like to alphabetize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #22  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I understand the memory path thinking. I am so confused right now with 1/2 my stamps unmounted in one shelf (in no order) and the others in the old system. I can't find anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a binder and every time I get a new stamp set I make an imprint of it and label it. The binder is catagorized according to company. Then I keep my stamp sets together according to company and keep them in alphabetical order or at least together in a drawer. I like to flip thru the binder to easily see what stamp I might like to use and then I know where to find it. This works great for me although I might add it took some work getting the binder set up at first and I only had about 30 stamp sets then. It was worth it though for me and I would suggest anyone starting out might want to try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a LOT of stamps. About 95% or better, are unmounted. I have left a few on wood, such as my Thomas Kinkade stamps. Those stamps are stored in a small 3 drawer container by type. All of my other stamps are stored by sets in CD cases. If I purchase stamps that don't come in a set, I put them in their own CD case and try to group other individual stamps to make a set. I name the set just like sets from companies. All sets are stored alphabetically, in CD book shelves, by name of the set. The key to making this system work is that I have stamp binders of all of my sets.

I made the binders by scanning pictures of my sets as they are arranged in the CD case. I then group all of the scanned pictures into catagories. If there are several places to file a set, such as when there is a birthday stamp and a floral stamp in the same set, then I file them in each place. I also scan one extra copy of the set and place this inside the CD case. When using a set, I can easily see which stamp is missing and find and replace the stamp before I put the set away.

My binder is the hardest working item in my stamping tools. I use it every day on every card. I plan cards with my binder before I get out anything else. I took it one step further and cut out each sentiment from a scan and put them in sections in my binder. When I need a sentiment for a sympathy card I flip to that section in my binder and can see every possible stamp I have to use in making my card. The scans are the same size as the actual stamp, so that really helps when I am planning, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #25  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I am having a hard enough time finding time to unmount, I can't wrap my head around making a binder at the same time, even though it would be easiest to do it now while I am making the dvd box labels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
I understand the memory path thinking. I am so confused right now with 1/2 my stamps unmounted in one shelf (in no order) and the others in the old system. I can't find anything.
I am having the same issue. All of my old SU sets that are wood mounted are broken up and stored in stufftainers by category. I love that system.

But I am at a loss as to what to do with my unmounted and clear sets. I wouldn't mind breaking those up as well as soon as I find a good way to store them. I like the acetate sheets the clear stamps come on since they have an image of the stamp on it, makes it much easier to read. But how to store those with cling mounted??

What is a girl to do??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
What company is OTC?

Oriental Trading Company ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

I am having a hard enough time finding time to unmount, I can't wrap my head around making a binder at the same time, even though it would be easiest to do it now while I am making the dvd box labels.
When I unmount stamps now and when I originally unmounted the bulk of my stamps, I made making the binder just one more step in the unmounting process. Because I scanned the stamp sets, rather than stamping my stamps, it really didn't take that much extra time. The amount of time and frustration I save constantly, more than makes up for the five extra minutes it took to scan each set. Don't get me wrong..... unmounting is not fun! But, the end result is so great. The amount of space I have saved and knowing I can find any of my stamps in less than a minute makes it all worth the effort for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #29  

By box size. Then alphabetically within that size category. Works for me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #30  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

heather, you look familiar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

This is so me! Once I get them all unmounted and in the DVD cases, I can get back to a memory path.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
My binder is the hardest working item in my stamping tools. I use it every day on every card. I plan cards with my binder before I get out anything else. I took it one step further and cut out each sentiment from a scan and put them in sections in my binder. When I need a sentiment for a sympathy card I flip to that section in my binder and can see every possible stamp I have to use in making my card. The scans are the same size as the actual stamp, so that really helps when I am planning, too.
Wow! You are an inspiration. I am def planning to do a binder for my stamps. The detail that you put into organizing yours sounds really helpful! Thanks for sharing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #33  

Help me!!!!

CD cases refer to the type that music comes in right? I can find tons of those and they are cheap

DVD cases refer to the type that movies are in... they are larger right? WHERE do you get these that are flat inside... without that bumpy up thingy - besides SU, cause they are expensive!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I did a post recently showing my stamp index and how I organize all my stamps. It really helps me to get inspired by flipping through my index or sets so this works well for me!!

Check out more details and pictures here:
cards by cara: An organizational post ...

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cards by caraView Post
I did a post recently showing my stamp index and how I organize all my stamps. It really helps me to get inspired by flipping through my index or sets so this works well for me!!

Check out more details and pictures here:
cards by cara: An organizational post ...
Cara, I'm really liking that idea!! Where did you buy acetate (transparency film)? How much was it?

It was 9 by 7 THEN you folded it in half - correct?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Help me!!!!

CD cases refer to the type that music comes in right? I can find tons of those and they are cheap

DVD cases refer to the type that movies are in... they are larger right? WHERE do you get these that are flat inside... without that bumpy up thingy - besides SU, cause they are expensive!!!
sc magnolia -- I use the DVD cases from Sleeve City. They have a Super Jewel Box Clear DVD case (go to very bottom of web page) that is just like the CD jewel cases, only bigger. It has a removable insert that has the "bumpy up thingy" (love your description), so when you take out the insert, you are left with two smooth sides to stick your stamps to. If you buy them in quantity, they are a little more than $1/piece -- and they have a 15% off sale going on now until Mar. 25.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #37  

Thank you Mcost!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Cara, I'm really liking that idea!! Where did you buy acetate (transparency film)? How much was it?

It was 9 by 7 THEN you folded it in half - correct?
Yes, 9 by 7 and then folded in half for my homemade acetate folders. Take a look at your stash and see what size folders you will need and go from there. I bought the acetate from an office supply store and it wasn't too expensive. Maybe $25 for 50 sheets? I've heard you can even get it at Michael's with a coupon.

Glad you liked my method!!

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have notebook with divider tabs broken down by categories; I take a photo copy of the index of each stamp set before I mount the stamps. Then the stamp sets are stored in numbered boxes with the corresponding number written on the photo copy. It is nice being able to flip thru a notebook and find what I want then go to the box containing that set and get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcostView Post
sc magnolia -- I use the DVD cases from Sleeve City. They have a Super Jewel Box Clear DVD case (go to very bottom of web page) that is just like the CD jewel cases, only bigger. It has a removable insert that has the "bumpy up thingy" (love your description), so when you take out the insert, you are left with two smooth sides to stick your stamps to. If you buy them in quantity, they are a little more than $1/piece -- and they have a 15% off sale going on now until Mar. 25.
Becca Feeken just posted on her blog the name of another web site that carries the King size jewel DVD cases and the price is even lower -- so you might want to check them out too. here's the link to her blog post:
Some Scoop to Share � Organization � Stamping � Amazing Paper Grace
Reply With Quote Likes