Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Open House...?

I am a new SU demonstrator. I am having my open house in a few weeks, I sent out about 75 invitations via mail today and will be sending out an email to about 20-30 more people.

So preparing for this open house, I have 3 make-N-Takes planned. One is an all-occasion Thank you card, another is a wrap for home-made soap, and the last is gift tags (5 per person). I have made the prototypes and am ready to start cutting. Here is my question...

I can use SU cardstock, but it is soooo expensive for the number of people I am going to prepare for. Do you think it would be ok to use Bazzil cardstock for the actual cards, but for the stuff I am planning on having my guest stamp on using SU cardstock.. is that cheesy? Or should I just suck it up and buy the SU cardstock?

Also, Please give me your best tips on successful open houses. Here is my plan so far

I send out the invites today, I will follow up with a postcard (I am making these today) that should be in the mail on the 25th and then making phone calls from the 29th-1st. (My open house is on the 2nd)

Any and all ideas welcome and encouraged!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I don't know why you would use anything from another company. You ARE trying to sell SU right? ;) There is nothing like SU card stock, as I'm sure you know. It's not really expensive when you look look at it piece by piece. Bazzill is what, 60 cents a sheet near me. I think SU comes out to like 20 cents a sheet for colored cs.White and Vanilla are less.

Also, as per your demo agreement you are not allowed to use Bazzill. If people are coming to an SU event, they expect SU products (there is another thread about this very thing from a disappointed customer right now)

Cut back on your projects, you have too many. People will be stressed, no fun for you or them. Also way expensive. Demo 1 or 2 things then do 1 M&T. Have lots of projects you have already done out so they can see.

Get RSVPs, open houses, traditionally don't have high attendance. Do not cut until you have those RSVPs. Some will be no shows anyway even if they RSVP'd with a yes

Relax, you'll do fine. Have fun and everyone else will too.

Most importantly: Join the demo forums here. Tons of help, ideas, answers to questions, etc.

Good luck and welcome!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I am not a demo, just a customer, and I completely agree with the above post. If you are holding an SU open house, the products need to be SU. What happens if someone wants to buy the Bazzill cardstock you used and you have to tell them that you don't sell that. That makes it look as if you don't like the products that you are selling.

and make sure you get rsvp's. With most home parties I believe that the reality is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the people you invite will show up.

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 06:28 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Well I agree. I only considered it for a moment, but I am using only SU! at this and all events. For one... it just simply goes so much better. It stamps better then any other CS I have (which is way too much by the way) I saw that post about the gal being upset at the lame paper that was used... I would be too (although Bazzil is NOT lame paper--it's easy for me to get because I am in AZ and I don't have to pay the shipping cost on it.. that is why I considered it).. so I suppose that answered my own question. Thank you for your thoughts on the idea.

Have a blessed day
XOXOXO
E
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 06:31 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Erika - if you haven't already, I highly suggest you join the demo forum. There are so many wonderful business ideas and it really gives you an opportunity to throw things around with other demos and see what has and hasn't worked for them. It's probably the best demo resource around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I would cut the gift tags to ONE per person (with an opportunity to attend your NEXT Function to make MORE gift tags and holiday cards and a last minute gift for x dollars on this date ) so you are creating demand for your next stamp camp and also cutting back on your prep and your costs for your open house while recruiting for your next event.

I would also be trying to do something to book Sellabration parties up.
Resolve to get out more in the new year?
resolve to learn something new?
like FREE stuff?

another easy thing for them to stamp (and inexpensive for you ) would be recipe card for one of the treats you served . could use a wheel or not
then show how to package that with the treat or as a pack of recipe cards with the ribbon and cellophane envy but guests would take home ONE recipe card. and sample ONE treat (not whole loaf of banana bread or plate of cookies in box or tin.
good luck

betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndeelou

another easy thing for them to stamp (and inexpensive for you ) would be recipe card for one of the treats you served . could use a wheel or not
then show how to package that with the treat or as a pack of recipe cards with the ribbon and cellophane envy but guests would take home ONE recipe card. and sample ONE treat (not whole loaf of banana bread or plate of cookies in box or tin.
good luck

betsy
I LOVE this idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

And remember it isn't just cardstock you have to supply all those people - scissors and adhesive as well. My first open house I invited 27 people and 11 attended. I had RSVP on the invitation but the only people that RSVP'd were the ones that COULD come - not the ones that weren't going to come. That left me guessing and so I cut out enough make&takes for 27 when I would have only had to for 11. I also think it was very difficult to do a make&take when people were arriving at different times. I had to keep going back and forth to different people at different stages in the process - sometimes my guests had to sit and wait for me to come back. This could have been bothersome to them. From now on, if I have an open house, I won't do a make&take - just demos by me. If I do a workshop where guests have to arrive at a certain time, and all you have invited have RSVP'd either yes or no, then it is easier to do a make&take.

PS - I wouldn't use Bazzill paper either. If you absolutely have to run out somewhere close so you have enough paper, try getting the Worldwin brand of paper which is the same weight as SU's cardstock and it is not textured. Bring your SU cardstock swatches with you so you can match it up as best as possible. Then I wouldn't even say anything to your guests about it being a different company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the good ideas! You gals are wonderful. I love the idea about the recipe card thing (We are having Hawaiian food -- that is where I am from, everyone loves when I cook Hawaiian food) .. and only doing one tag is great! I have the brochures printed up for my LMG workshop with the registration. I am putting out the projects to encourage signing up at the open house. My husband said to offer a special of $5 off if they sign up and pay at the open house.. I thought that was a good idea what do you think?

Thanks for the thought about timing and the make and takes! I have a couple of friends and my upline are all coming to help me. i am also making step by step instructions for the make and takes, my husband is taking photographs and we are putting them out on the tables so if I have to step away and everyone else is busy, the make and takes can be done with out help.

OH the invites were recieved by many on Friday, and I have had almost 20 people RSVP!!! Woo-Hoo!

Again.. please any and all ideas! you gals are great and I love love love the input!
Reply With Quote Likes