Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oozak Anniversary Surprise ‏

Who else got an email for the Oozak anniversary surprise? Is it for real? All of that for just $2???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I'm on their mailing list but I didn't get an email... what does it say?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

All of the following for $2....

Mini Ink Blending Tool (2/pk)
Art Impression cling stamp People series
Doodlebug 6x6 paper pad
Doodlebug Washi Tape 12 pack tube
Cottage Cutz 3x3 die

I had to email Rusty... I am waiting for his answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I got it, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best to be safe. Oozak did have that issue with their email a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I am on his mailing list and I did NOT get this email.

I got a strange email a few months ago promoting a discount on something ( I forgot what it was) and I sent an email to Rusty to question it and it was NOT from him.
Some one got into his customer list of email addresses and send it .

I hope you did not need to click on a link to see the Anniversary Surprise .

I would wait until Rusty gets back to you before you order anything . It may be phishing trying to get your CC number and info
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, i tried to order twice and both times it didn't go through.
I hope my cc# isn't out there now.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

The email seems pretty real... it opens with http s and a closed keylock. However, I did click on the link to their page but felt the whole thing could be a scam. I wrote to ask about it thinking it could be phishing.

I have already changed my password ob the website. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I think this looks very suspicious.

I checked Oozak's site and the only Doodlebug product he shows is red/white/blue twine and it is on backorder .

Then he shows the inventory on hand for his products . For the Cottage Cutz he only has 1 of each style on hand .

He shows 4 different Art Impressions cling stamps in the People series and he only shows that he has has one of each stamp on hand

Why would he put out a package deal that he could not fill it from what he has on his site ?
The lock icon could be a copy and paste job.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-26-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Just received this e-mail from Rusty

Just received this e-mail from Rusty:

Dear Vera,

Fraudulent Email

Some of you have received an email that looks as if it was from me, this time it was promoting an Anniversary Sale. This is not a legitimate email. It links to a spoof website. Here is the most important thing you need to know:

If you have clicked the link & proceeded through the checkout process by entering your credit card info, contact your credit card company immediately. I don't know for sure if you credit card info has been compromised, but it is better to be on the safe side.

This is a very sophisticated attack on my business and a illegal attempt to get your personal info. This attack has gone so far as to setup a spoof website that looks as if you are on Oozak.com. This email is similar to what you see from the fake 'Wells Fargo' or 'Bank of America' emails that contain a link that brings you to a spoof website that resembles the named bank and asking you to update your info.

This spoof website is hosted in Spain. I am working hard to get it shut down.
I am contacting the company called ReachMail to see what can be done.

The sure fire way to tell if you are shopping on the real Oozak.com is to verify the address shown in your internet browser address bar, it will show Oozak.com | eCustomer Service at its Best!. The fraudulent link in the email brings you to http://oozak.webcindario.com. Also, on the real Oozak.com, once you click CHECKOUT, you are moved to the secure checkout process. This is represented by an 'S' being added to the http (https://www.oozak.com). My site is secured by GeoTrust. Clicking the GeoTrust seal will verify that you are on the real Oozak.com. The GeoTrust seal also displays the current date. The fake GeoTrust image had an incorrect date showing. My GeoTrust seal is located under the CATEGORIES column. I will be moving it to the top of the categories column for easier reference. Please know that:

Credit Card information is never stored on my website.
All credit card payments are processed through PayPal.
My mailing list is hosted with ConstantContact.com

As I said before, this is a very sophisticated and well thought out attack. As far as I can tell, my mailing list/website has not been breached. I assume this as I use several test email addresses from different providers to see how email looks prior to being sent, as well as to make sure it does not wind up in a SPAM box. None of these email addresses have received this fraudulent email. These email addresses are also used on the website to perform test orders. If the website had been breached, I would assume these test email addresses would receive the email as well. I do not know how or where they are getting email addresses, I'm sure many of you shop on similar sites like Oozak, it very well could be one of their lists. I will attempt to find out that info once I am able to contact ReachMail. Here are some tips to be sure an email is legit:

I always display your name after 'Dear', never 'Dear Customer'.
Pay attention to the sentence structure and grammar.
My sincere apologies,
Rusty Gorter
Owner
Oozak.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I received an email from Oozak this morning stating that the first email is fraudulent; the perpetrators (sp?) have even set up a fake Oozak website. Here's the email message:

Dear PAMELA,

Fraudulent Email

Some of you have received an email that looks as if it was from me, this time it was promoting an Anniversary Sale. This is not a legitimate email. It links to a spoof website. Here is the most important thing you need to know:

If you have clicked the link & proceeded through the checkout process by entering your credit card info, contact your credit card company immediately. I don't know for sure if you credit card info has been compromised, but it is better to be on the safe side.

This is a very sophisticated attack on my business and a illegal attempt to get your personal info. This attack has gone so far as to setup a spoof website that looks as if you are on Oozak.com. This email is similar to what you see from the fake 'Wells Fargo' or 'Bank of America' emails that contain a link that brings you to a spoof website that resembles the named bank and asking you to update your info.

This spoof website is hosted in Spain. I am working hard to get it shut down.
I am contacting the company called ReachMail to see what can be done.

The sure fire way to tell if you are shopping on the real Oozak.com is to verify the address shown in your internet browser address bar, it will show Oozak.com | eCustomer Service at its Best!. The fraudulent link in the email brings you to http://oozak.webcindario.com. Also, on the real Oozak.com, once you click CHECKOUT, you are moved to the secure checkout process. This is represented by an 'S' being added to the http (https://www.oozak.com). My site is secured by GeoTrust. Clicking the GeoTrust seal will verify that you are on the real Oozak.com. The GeoTrust seal also displays the current date. The fake GeoTrust image had an incorrect date showing. My GeoTrust seal is located under the CATEGORIES column. I will be moving it to the top of the categories column for easier reference. Please know that:

Credit Card information is never stored on my website.

All credit card payments are processed through PayPal.
My mailing list is hosted with ConstantContact.com

As I said before, this is a very sophisticated and well thought out attack. As far as I can tell, my mailing list/website has not been breached. I assume this as I use several test email addresses from different providers to see how email looks prior to being sent, as well as to make sure it does not wind up in a SPAM box. None of these email addresses have received this fraudulent email. These email addresses are also used on the website to perform test orders. If the website had been breached, I would assume these test email addresses would receive the email as well. I do not know how or where they are getting email addresses, I'm sure many of you shop on similar sites like Oozak, it very well could be one of their lists. I will attempt to find out that info once I am able to contact ReachMail. Here are some tips to be sure an email is legit:

I always display your name after 'Dear', never 'Dear Customer'.

Pay attention to the sentence structure and grammar.

My sincere apologies,

Rusty Gorter
Owner
Oozak.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

So sorry this is happening to Rusty. I only have praise for his business practices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I am so mad this is happening to Rusty's business! He is such a wonderful person. I hope he gets to the bottom of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Today I got both the fraudulent email with the Anniversary surprise offer and the Warning from Rusty that HE DID NOT SEND THIS.

When I called Rusty about the Phishing email a few months ago he told me he does NOT store anyone's CC or bank numbers on his computers. However, He does store our email addresses and other info

It seems the hackers and fraudulent activity have escalated in the past year or so.
I agree Rusty is a great businessman. But as hard as the businesses try they can't keep ahead of the thieves

As I have said before , We need a law that no company can store any info about their customers . Then the Hackers will have no incentive to break into other people's computers
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I rely on online stores to get all my paper craft stuff but only buy from those that use PayPal. The only one I had to use my CC is Joanns which I send to a freight forwarder. I just can't resist their 40% sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Before my CC was hacked 3 times I bought most of my card making supplies on-line and I love the convenience of mail ordering. Now all of my purchases are local or with Money orders .
Sadly nothing is safe these days .

The CC of the President of PayPal was hacked in February of this year
PayPal president's credit card hacked for shopping spree

And I believe it was last year that the PayPal site was hacked
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...it/td-p/627980

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing except cash is safe I am sad to say. Not paypal, not online purchasing, not using our credit cards at a store. Debit cards are potentially even worse.

We now pay cash whenever we are in a store. And I do not give my phone number to the cashier. if they insist, I abandon the purchase or provide a false phone number (admittedly a stupid thing to do.)

All my friends with aol.com emails have had their email hacked repeatedly in the past month. I no longer open emails from any of them. I am unsubscribing from most emails.

my paypal account was hacked a few years ago and paypal refused to return the foreign exchange fees that the hacker charged so I no longer use paypal/

It's a jungle out there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Joan I read an article that quoted an FBI employee who said no one should give their telephone number to clerks . It is the only piece of personal data not on the CC or Debit card strip. Once they get the telephone number they have it all .

Places like PayPal and many sites require the telephone number to process a charge .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I got the Spam email. Thankfully I had read this thread and also got a note from Rusty. I feel bad for him. Thanks for spreading the word, ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastgloriesView Post
Well, i tried to order twice and both times it didn't go through.
I hope my cc# isn't out there now.
Kathy
Best thing to do would be get a new credit card number ASAP.
Reply With Quote Likes