Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Online Shipping Question

Hope this is the correct forum -- figure most of buy online.

Went to purchase craft item and saw a box to indicate that the seller bore no responsibility once it shipped the item. In other words, if it was lost in the mail, I would be out of luck.

So I did not go forward with the order as I wanted to think about it.

I realize the Internet raises a lot of sticky issues, but wondered what you thought. I guess I do not want to assume the risk, even though this was a reputable company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

Some companies will allow you to add insurance to the package and they have instructions to Put that into the comments box in the submit the order process, so maybe if you really want it, and your not seeing it forsale somewhere that automatically backs what they sell, write and ask them if they can add insurance?

just a thought,

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a customer (for work) tell me one time that they mailed their payment and that they didn't owe us anything. Well, the payment never made it to us, so yes they did still owe it. We went round and round about it. She thought that just because she mailed a payment that was it.

Not quite the same, but still. Then there are those that would say they didn't get the package, but did, just to cheat and get something free.

I would say insurance is the way to go. I rarely buy ins, but do if I am ordering copics, or spend over a certain $.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hadn't thought of insurance. Good idea. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my very humble opinion, if I can prove the company got my money (and usually can if I paid via credit card), then it is their responsibility to get the product to me. If I don't receive it (is lost in the mail etc) I expect the company to ship out another at no charge to me. If they won't I would dispute the charges with my credit card company. It is rare that in the grand scheme of things that packages go missing. In all the years I have done internet shopping (and I've done quite a bit!) I have never had anything go missing.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always use Paypal or a credit card when buying online. That way, I can prove when the order was placed if the shop doesn't provide a receipt.

Way back before online shopping was so prevalent, many sellers shipped FOB. That's Free on Board, or Freight on Board. That meant that the seller's obligation ended once the item left their hands.

Some sellers still go by that rule, but really, isn't the cost of shipping another item small beans in comparison to having an unhappy customer? And possibly losing their business? I think so. And so do many successful online sellers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering from a company that puts a statement like that out there. If I pay for a product, I expect to receive it. If I don't, I will dispute the charge on my credit card. In most cases, the products will arrive. But in the rare instance that they don't, then it's just the cost of doing business by mail for that company and they need to make good on the order. If a company has good customer service, I am much more likely to order from them again, so I think it's just good business to stand behind the order. Just my two cents!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsingerView Post
In most cases, the products will arrive. But in the rare instance that they don't, then it's just the cost of doing business by mail for that company and they need to make good on the order. If a company has good customer service, I am much more likely to order from them again, so I think it's just good business to stand behind the order. Just my two cents!
My sentiments exactly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious if this seller might actually be very good to work with in the event of a problem, but posts a statement/policy like that just to have it out there to head off any potential issues of someone trying to commit fraud against them??

If I really wanted to order from them and still had concerns I'd probably call and chat with them to get a better feel for their customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Many of the well known sites have this type of policy. Many consumers want a cheaper shipping option and will gamble by not purchasing insurance or a trackable shipping option. In 90% of the cases, the packages arrive. I had one package from an authorized Amazon vendor not arrive at the destination and Amazon found ways around honouring their advertised insurance. I was out $60 for a 4-pack of nesties. The seller said it was delivered by USPS but it never arrived and USPS said they delivered it. No signature was required so it was my word against USPS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting that you bring this up. I ordered some stamps the other day from what I hope is a good company. I had just hit the "place order" button when I caught sight of that very declaration that you mention. It was too late to stop the transaction at that time. But I have been bothered by that since I ordered! I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope the order arrives w/o any difficulties. I'm certainly going to pay better attention in the future!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

It can be the best company in the world but why should they have to take the hit if USPS loses an order that isn't tracked? That is beyond any company's control. That being said, the consumer is continually demanding lower shipping costs which includes no tracking. Some companies can't win by giving the customers everything they want. Look at Paper Trey Ink ... they refuse to ship to Canada unless it is by a trackable route. This puts the cost of shipping to Canada very high and many Canadians won't order from them because there is no cheaper option. They claim they had a lot of items get lost so they stopped that method. Other companies don't seem to having this same issue, or if they are, they aren't vocally complaining about it or they're eating it at their own expense which will eventually lead to higher prices for us all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Maybe I'm just a chicken, but I would have to want it awful bad, and they would have to be the only place to get it, before I pushed the button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

They can post that statement all they want, but it will not hold up if you use paypal or a credit card to make payment. You just need to file an "item not received" with paypal, or call your credit card company and find out how to file a complaint. You will get your money back. Now if you used cash or money order you will be out your money, and quite possibly the same is true with a check, depending on your banks policies. SO always use paypal or a credit card, it is the safest way to shop online. It is always the sellers responsibility to get the item to the purchaser. I have been selling online for many years and I make it my business to know all the policies when it comes to shipping items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

In addition, if your accounts are hacked, you can easily call the credit card company and dispute any charges that are not yours.

If you use a debit card, the funds in your account could be drained.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Hope this is the correct forum -- figure most of buy online.

Went to purchase craft item and saw a box to indicate that the seller bore no responsibility once it shipped the item. In other words, if it was lost in the mail, I would be out of luck.

So I did not go forward with the order as I wanted to think about it.

I realize the Internet raises a lot of sticky issues, but wondered what you thought. I guess I do not want to assume the risk, even though this was a reputable company.
I found a statement like this on a site too and did as you did and backed out.
I thought it was a bit fishy that they were asking me to agree that if I didn't get the order I paid for they have no responsibility. How would I know they really mailed it? They can say anything and I would have no recourse. Plus the site I was on had high shipping charges and then extra charges they said were to cover the tape, paper and for their gas to drive the package to the Post Office.

Those statements were a red flags to me. I know I could challenge something with my credit card , but why set myself up for that aggravation when there are so many great companies to chose from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

The only disclaimer I have ever agreed to is some places won't take back products unless they are defective.
Oozak won't take back Copics and I don't blame him.
The markers are not sealed how would he know a person didn't use up half the markers and then try to return them. There are some unscrupulous people.
I know when I buy Copics from him they are new and completely full.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I ordered a bunch of twine from Ryann Salmon on Etsy. The first package did not arrive, and she offered to refund my money or send a replacement. I offered to split the difference with her, but she said it was part of her customer service policy. I know I will order from her again, as well as tell all of you about the good service she provided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan I think I know what company you are speaking of. I order a lot from them and so far it has all arrived. I would not do that for either of my companies..I happily replace items that are lost...I am sure they must have a reason for doing it.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes