Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old techniques

i love using watercolor markers on an acrylic block then using plastic wrap scrunched up to tap on the cardstock.it creates interesting backgrounds but i also found some old crayola paints that are shiny so i added to the watercolors with one of the shiney paints on top and it added just a little shine.my 8 yr old granddaughter and i are making bookmarks and having a ball.somehow i have lost my genesis cutter so am having to use t-square to cut the cardstock,sigh
br3n
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun idea. Thanks for sharing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I enjoy revisiting old techniques with new colors and stamps. I am doing some old-school things today -- shaving cream with the newer blue shades and wax-paper resist with big solid stamps. Old is not a bad thing!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I found going back over galleries and old stamp mags from a few years back you can find techniques you forget about: Resist, soot, shadow stamping, monochromatic etc. you get the picture. Then I start a list and hang it by my stamping stuff. When I want to stamp but in a rut, I look at the list and do something off that.
I'm SO glad to see background stamps coming back and less DP. It's almost like the new stampers think they discovered something new. LOL The advantages of using BG stamps or making your own is you never run out, always have the right shade and it's cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

my granddaughter says to reply to everyone and say hello.it is fun to go back and do some of the old techniques using newer supplies or to use up older supplies so you can buy new.i had forgot about wax paper resist and i had bought some stamps just for that technique and for making toilet paper molds with them to put on fronts of cards.lot of big solid lines so perfect for this.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 808 Likes on 330 Posts

I have all the Somerset Studio magazines from when they began in 97 to 2002. To me these were the GOOD ones. When they began to change to more modern kind of avant-guarde. When they started showing all the heads and eyes they lost me. I'm just into that. Anyway, I love my old magazines. There are enough techniques and ideas in them to keep me busy for years.

Oooooh you wanna hear something weird? This shows how much of a dork I am. I have a binder full of techniques, images and ideas that I printed off the internet from stamping forums and websites. These are old... I'm talking ten years. I arranged them alphabetically and tabbed the binder. I have all the old handouts from when I taught classes too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Your granddaughter might enjoy the marble technique. Rub some ink onto a plastic surface. Roll marbles over it, and then roll them on your cardstock. A plastic stamp box works perfectly for this! (Roll the marbles in the ink, and attach the cardstock to the lid. Flip the box so the marbles are rolling on the cardstock.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I think there is nothing better in the world than crafting with lil' ones. I miss it so much. I craft with cats now. That's not as fun. They make pretty backgrounds too. Cats are much harder to clean up.

I love old school techniques. I love to mix new with old too. I used to be so into buying DP. I really did love it. Then I just outgrew it. That was nice too. It's fun to grow as crafter and artist. I really love to make my own backgrounds. I still buy DP for my mixed media work. I have gone from a dozen scrapbook folders filled with DP to just one. Now, I have all sorts of background stamps, lol. I swear you replace with one another in the paper craft indusrty.

I can't wait to try the plastic wrap trick. Thank you for sharing. I love the shiny paint idea too.

I hope you find your Genesis trimmer. I would be so upset. I don't have one but I heard they are the best. I hardly use my trimmer any more. I like my ruler and Exacto knife. So, old school, lol.

I hope you and your DGD have lots of great crafting sessions.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I just started going back over the "old techniques" with my two groups....
We just did the baby wipe technique which is super easy. Take a baby wipe and fold it in half twice (making sort of a stamp pad out of it. Using reinkers, dot on about three of your favorite colors till you have nice size area covered.
You can get two different effects out of this

Step 1....take a solid rubber stamp and using the baby wipe as a stamp pad, stamp onto it and then onto your card stock.

Step 2.... Now take the baby wipe and sort of wad it in such a way that you have a enough of the uninked part to hold onto and POUNCE your wipe around on a piece of GLOSSY cardstock....this makes a beautiful background.

You certainly do not have to do both, but I teach my club members to do that just to get the most out of ink they used on the baby wipe.
I gave each club member a piece of Glossy Cardstock (for the pounching) and a piece of Whisper White to stamp the solid image on for them to do in the club workshop. They took these home as their "challenge" to each make up a card using these two different items. I can't wait to see what they all come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 808 Likes on 330 Posts

Evalou,
The baby wipe technique sounds great, I'll have to try it. Here we are talking about old techniques and I just ordered something new. Goosebumps Texture Spray by Tsukineko.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

oooh the marble technique has destiny(granddaughter) all excited and nice reminder on baby wipes techniques.i do love to go back and revisit older ideas.it has been years since i tried the shave cream technique and this was during a time when i was partially colorblind so had a hardtime with it.will have to try again now that i can see color shades now.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes