Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #321  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
But House Mouse stamps are so darn cute!!!

Pamela
yeah but not $18.00 cute ... I have been lucky I have a couple I bought 2nd hand and guess what not even used them and had them for 6 months
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #322  
Watercolor Wizard

Wow, this discussion is certainly stirring passion about stamping! That's why we are all here, right?

I have a bit of everything: clear acrylic stamps, EZ-Mounted rubber, individual wood-mounted (hero arts, inkadinkado, hampton art, etc.) and a TON of wood-mounted SU sets (like, they are causing one of my shelves to bow alarmingly and I AM out of space but WON'T unmount those). I stamp more with my wood-mounted stamps because I have the boxes at eye-level in my cabinets, I grab them and they are ready to go. But if I got around to setting up the optimal display/storage option for my clear sets, I'm sure they would see more action. ;)

There is so much variety out there, isn't it great?! But I must have my Stampin' Up colors! I will continue to keep my hobby-demo in business as long as I can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #323  
Kookie Creator

I don't mind paying shipping and handling if the product is worth it. IMO stampin up is worth every penny that I invest. I don't order a set of stamps unless it looks like I'll use several of the images. I like having an image and a sentiment together. I like the choices and I LOVE the paper. As far as I'm concerned Stampin Up put the "stamp" in stamping. I prefer wood mounted. I can't stand acrylic. I do buy Hero Arts wood mounted stamps every now and then but they're not cheap. It's all a matter of quality versus quantity. I'm a "mature" stamper (old) so I enjoy the nature themes. I think the house mouse stamps are cute but I don't like having to look for the matching sentiments and I get bored with coloring mice. I don't like stick people or headless women. It will be a looooong time before I tire of stampin up.

I think it's good that we have so many choices. The gallery would be mighty boring if everyone did stampin up. It's only human for us to think our preference is the the most logical. It keeps the competition on their toes.

A month or so ago a thread got started about the price of shipping and handling. Ever since then I've noticed so many companies offering lower shipping and handling. I was able to place a huge stampin up order with all the shipping and handling I saved from the competition

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #324  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriinmanView Post
I am just curious, for those saying that other companies offer more variety or cheaper options what companies are you thinking of? I have done a lot of searching (although I don't claim it to be exhaustive) and have not found cardstock of equal quality for a cheaper price and certainly with the same number of colors that SU offers. I have also done a lot of looking at other companies' stamps and it seems to me that most of them offer pretty much the same sort of images that SU has. None of them seem to have a lot of masculine stamps. Have I missed something? I s there a company that offers more for a cheaper price?
Honestly, I think it depends on your taste. I just got a notice from River City that they're having another 1/2 off sale. But it's ONLY UM that go on sale like that. I hit another sale from them in December where I loaded my cart with stuff & had DH pay for it as a Christmas present. But I *like* their style. I like their humor, I love their sentiments and those 'old ladies' crack me up. More than that, I have tons of EZ Mount, plenty of acrylic blocks & a couple of other ways of temporarily mounting some rubber - so there's no extra cost for me.
They are one of several companies that I have absolute faith in - never had a problem with their service or their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 AM   #325  
Embossing Fanatic

I like some of the SU sets but for the most part, the ones I like are now gone! I have to watch our housing weight being a military family that picks up and moves ever 3 years. With SU stamps, it seems to be pain to get the rubber off the adhesive sometimes. I never got too into SU because of the whole having to mount my own issue. I did CTMH until the went to acrylics now I am pretty over the moon about TAC but I buy from just about everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #326  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it's wonderful that there is something out there for everyone! I personally only use wood mounted, rubber stamps now. I like stamps that are ready to go when I'm ready to stamp. I absolutely love SU! and the quality of their products, and most of my purchases are from SU!. However, when I see something else that I like, I buy it. I don't think SU! needs to change, unless they find their sales suffering. I'm very happy with SU! myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #327  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinemView Post
Honestly I love them... and I don't know that I think they are too expensive. I mostly wish they sold them mounted, unmounted and in CLEAR Acrylic so that I could CHOOSE which way to buy their stamps.
I love their tools, inks, etc... but for me, I wear trifocals and I also have arthritic hands... so being able to see through the block and position it better without using another tool... Can't beat that!
As big as they are, I wish they could see their way to Acrylic...
AMEN to that Sistah!! Who has the room for all that anymore... ;)
My Blog - Downstairs Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #328  
Insane Embellisher

I was certainly sorry to hear that due to declining sales, SU is laying off employees. It was posted on the So Shelli blog last night.

http://www.soshelli.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #329  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I read Shelli's blog this morning too, it is very sad, but its happening everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #330  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been a stamper for over 10 years. Stampin' Up! was my first exposure to the art of rubber stamping! Have I branched out from SU? Absolutely! I have seen, bought, and used lots of stamps from different companies. In addition to SU!, I have bought from my LSS, online, and the big craft stores. The more I see and use other products and try other companies, the more I love Stampin' Up! Stampin' Up! was and remains my favorite rubber stamping company ever!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #331  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
I was certainly sorry to hear that due to declining sales, SU is laying off employees. It was posted on the So Shelli blog last night.

I'm sorry to hear about that. It's another sign of bad times for all of us. I'm wondering now about the status of my demonstator. She hasn't been in touch much with my group of stampers lately; very remote and unlike her usual self. One of the stampers in my group is trying to get her to commit to a stamping workshop, and she isn't being very responsive. Maybe it's just not worth her time anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #332  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketostampsView Post
I have been a stamper for over 10 years. Stampin' Up! was my first exposure to the art of rubber stamping! Have I branched out from SU? Absolutely! I have seen, bought, and used lots of stamps from different companies. In addition to SU!, I have bought from my LSS, online, and the big craft stores. The more I see and use other products and try other companies, the more I love Stampin' Up! Stampin' Up! was and remains my favorite rubber stamping company ever!!!
here here...... My first introduction to stamping was when dh bought me a set of see dee's (I think it had 100 stamps in it cant remember now) UM and the whisper ink caddy which had a alpha in it as well.... well every time I stamped would get a yucky image never clean and crisp and the inks seemed watery and the alpha and stamps never seemed to stay on the blocks...... then I found SU from an ad on the net... well that see dee's stuff was a total waste of over a $100 not been used ever again sitting a box under a bed some where......and gave the inks away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #333  
Glitter Queen

I'm an equal opportunity stamper! I'll use whatever ones I like - SU makes great quality stamps, and the price is reasonable.....but I also love clear stamps
Kiki Arts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #334  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiggynineView Post
I'm sorry to hear about that. It's another sign of bad times for all of us. I'm wondering now about the status of my demonstator. She hasn't been in touch much with my group of stampers lately; very remote and unlike her usual self. One of the stampers in my group is trying to get her to commit to a stamping workshop, and she isn't being very responsive. Maybe it's just not worth her time anymore.
It could be not so much the SU as something personal in her life going on. Or she may just need a breather. I know I just finished a 10month club and while it was fun, I told my girls that I would not be starting another round for a few months(probably close to the new catalog), but I would be doing stamp camps in between. It could be any number of things and since this layoff thing was just announced I wouldn't think that would be top of the reason list. Hope that all is well with her and that it was just that she needed a break.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #335  
Mad Swapper

I think I may be going in the opposite direction. I have a mish mash of stamps, tools, papers and inks. It seems everytime I sit downto create something it take me forever because stu (paper, inks, ribbon) don't match. For me personally I like how SU matches everything. Since I am short on time and a bit short on creativity their products help me create faster and better. I think I would continue to purchase stamps from other comapnies because there are so many great stamps out there but for the basics I think I am getting rid of all my other stuff and starting over with SU.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #336  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post

Yeah, the mood at the Riverton HQ is definitely somber -- I felt compelled to offer a little encouragement to the gal I spoke to yesterday. Hey, why don't we start showering them with cards of encouragement? I know it seems to pale in comparison to the prospect of losing a job, but a little happy mail always goes a long way toward lifting my spirits during a rough time.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #337  
Kookie Creator

I have been a SU demo for almost 6 years and I do mainly use SU products. Like someone said before me, you get what you pay for. SU goes for quality and will stand behind what it sells which means a lot to me as a customer and as a demo. I do agree there could be much improvement in the area of masculine stamps and also teen stamps. I love that everything coordinates, not only colorwise, but punches to stamps, etc. I am a very avid scrapbooker - my first love- and have to occassionally branch out to other companies as I have 3 high school aged teens and SU does not offer enough in stamps and DSP to do a high school scrapbooking. While I feel they fall short in the masculine and teen areas, other companies have shortcomings too. There is no one perfect company. For me, SU is the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #338  
Compulsive Stamper

Well I started with SU, then I tried CTMH and love those stamps alot better.

But I love the card stock threw SU. I am in a SU monthly class, I won't do that again, lets just say, I have paper coming out of everywhere.

I think for me, I like the idea that for the clear ones I can see threw the stamp, the wood mounts you can't. Plus SU is high priced, where if you go buy a stamp set threw CTMH, and you get a huge set for under $20.00, alot of them are under $15.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #339  
scrapperazzi

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennifer743View Post
Well I started with SU, then I tried CTMH and love those stamps alot better.

But I love the card stock threw SU. I am in a SU monthly class, I won't do that again, lets just say, I have paper coming out of everywhere.

I think for me, I like the idea that for the clear ones I can see threw the stamp, the wood mounts you can't. Plus SU is high priced, where if you go buy a stamp set threw CTMH, and you get a huge set for under $20.00, alot of them are under $15.00.
I'd rather stay with a company who stands behind their merchandise. One where if you have a brand new stamp set and an arm falls (or is pulled) off they will replace it for you. If the stamp sets are half the price but rip and I can't use them, that's not saving me any money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #340  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have stamped for 10 years or so I started with SU as so many have and I must say I have found MANY other stamp companys I love but SU gets most of my business. The coordinating paper and ink,as many have said and the quality of the stamps,...like so many have said they really lack in the masculine and teen area, I have a DH and 2 teen boys so I do need those things. But overall you can't please everyone,...I'll never give up SU!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #341  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinemView Post
Honestly I love them... and I don't know that I think they are too expensive. I mostly wish they sold them mounted, unmounted and in CLEAR Acrylic so that I could CHOOSE which way to buy their stamps.
I love their tools, inks, etc... but for me, I wear trifocals and I also have arthritic hands... so being able to see through the block and position it better without using another tool... Can't beat that!
As big as they are, I wish they could see their way to Acrylic...
I certainly hope SU sees your comment! What a great option that would be for many of us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #342  
Matboard Maniac

Default Too expensive and I prefer acrylic!

I only own maybe two or three sets of SU stamps. They are way too expensive for me and labor intensive before they precut their stamps.

I would love to see them go to acrylic stamps. I, too, love the fact you can see where you are placing your stamp.

Acrylic seems to be the way to go and I hope the company takes notice. Making them less expensive during this hard economic times might make me a repeat customer too!

T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #343  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it all..............sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #344  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm replying but I wouldn't say I've completely stopped using SU.

I'm not so interested in their stamps anymore because I just don't see that much I like. If I do like something, it's hard to justify the expense ~ they are more expensive than so many other companies. I also haven't seen many lately that I just *have* to have ~ I can usually talk myself out of them. A lot of the stamps have an outdated feel to me. Although I see some blogs, one in particular (jeanmckenzie.blogspot, I believe - Stampin' Cos It's Fun), that show incredible things with SU stamps!

For awhile, I still used only their cardstock as it is superior to so much out there. I like the color coordination, too. Then Papertrey Ink started coming out with coordinating cardstock, ink pads I like much better, ribbon, and now buttons that I love. I've really switched over for those particular items ~ at least what I can. As their color palette increases, it will be easier to stick with their heavier weight cs and other products.

And as far as SU's DP - so often I've thought I just love a set of DP, and then when I get it I am totally uninspired and bored with it. I like maybe half of the designs in a package. I've been buying DP from Basic Grey, K&Company, My Mind's Eye, Memory Box, etc.

Another factor is probably shipping - sometimes it's a long unpredictable wait for SU packages, whereas other companies are lickity-split and often free!

The only dimensionals I'll buy are from SU. I like the rhinestone brads, grid paper, sponge daubers, pencil sharpener, glue dots...

I bought my light table, guillotine cutter and heat tool all from SU and they are fantastic.

SO, I'm not so crazy about a lot of their stamps anymore (I liked three in the last catalog/mini) but there are still things I want from SU. Not everything. Pretty much like any other company or store ~ they have their place, it's just not first place ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #345  
Rubber Obsessor

When I first started stamping I only used SU. Well, the last year I have not bought one thing from SU. First you have to pay shipping that is high and tax on your items and then you have to wait till your demo gets it to you. The last time I ordered it took me almost 3 weeks to get my stuff. Now that I have branched out, their colors are not my taste. I love everything I have bought from them, but I have moved on to new and better things.I also agree that their stamps look the same. I used to be so excited to get my new catty, well this last one there was nothing in it that was screaming for me to buy.I have now switched to Papertrey, Bellas, Magnolias and many more.Plus these companies come new items each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #346  
Crimping Master

I have definitely branched out into acrylic stamps. Can't see stopping SU though.... they do have a nice range of images, and I love the bennies. Also, I totally love the cardstock and other accessories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #347  
Stazon Splitcoast

I still have to wonder just what is it that people feel the need to go on about disliking something? Why is it that people can't just speak well of things they like and then not bother about the rest? Is there some reason I should feel badly that I DO like Stampin' Up?

I don't see threads about why I don't and won't buy Bella Stamps or Creative Scientist stamps or whatever the latest craze is. I buy what I like, sometimes I'll recommend things, but I'll be damned if I find the need to keep making a point about how all those other companies are wrong for not making stamps to my liking. I just keep it to myself and proceed to buy what I like.

Yes, in case anybody's in doubt, I AM getting irritated. I was first exposed to stamping by Stampin' Up!. As time went on I evolved into a much more eclectic stamper, and SU no longer held any appeal for me. As the years went by I went through all sorts of different styles. And then a few years back I found myself craving simplicity again, and I rediscovered SU. So I've sort of come full circle. Who knows? Maybe a time will come when I drift away again. If that happens, I doubt I'll be telling people what all's wrong with Stampin' Up!. I'll just be singin' the praises about whatever I'm liking then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #348  
Kookie Creator

Betsy,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I started buying all the other brands. I could really do some company bashing right now if I wanted to act like other people but I won't simply because I don't care what they like or DISLIKE! Just because you adore another company doesn't justify your coming here bashing a company that so many of us like. Several people make a decent living selling Stampin Up! Are you trying to put them out of business? I don't see why there is ALWAYS a Stampin Up! hate thread. If something goes wrong in the stamping world it's always Stampin Up's! fault. I bet almost everyone on here got started with Stamping Up! Stampin Up! took me out of Michael's and out of Joann's and enabled me to stop buying a lot of junk I don't need. I don't think they're too expensive. If you spend the money with SU! that you spend at other craft stores you will get all kinds of rewards and bonuses. I've gotten all the markers free just by ordering my paper and supplies through them. I get tons of free stamps and they always have something going on to get free merchandise. Look at the paper promotion next month...buy three get one free. We're talking quality paper and card stock. My husband said that when a company is constantly picked on that's usually because they are a threat. In this case, I agree with him. I wish their stamps did look the same with every catalog...it would save me some money. I think each catalog has something a little cuter than before. I love it all. Not only is the product appealing, it's also of good quality. Their ribbon is to die for. Their markers color just as good as copics and are no where near as expensive. I don't think you'll see Stampin Up! going anywhere anytime soon. I'm buying enough from them right now to keep them in business a few more years!

Stampin Up! rocks!

Gail...a very satisfied customer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 AM   #349  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think the OP started this as a bash SU thread. If some took it in that direction, then that's sad. When I first started reading SCS it seemed like if you didn't use SU products you just didn't get it. It seemed as if SU was the only company that had matching inks and papers, etc. I use all different companies, depending on my mood of the moment. I feel much more comfortable here since everyone seems to use what they like instead of what's popular. I think every stamp company, every paper company, every ink company, etc. is used and enjoyed by most here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #350  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Betsy... I always like when you post because I know there is genuine thoughtfulness, feeling and concern - you never talk 'nonsense' like can be seen here at times! I really tried to be fair in my reply above, and frankly, since the OP asked, I figured I could add my 0.02. And I did mention quite a few things I do like about SU!

I'm thinking your comments are directed more to the fact that someone actually found it necessary to start a thread about it and I do see where you're coming from. I think a lot of people here do show respect to SU as they understand SCS began because of SU and there are a lot of demos and SU fans here. But some are always looking for an argument or to stir things up. I wouldn't say I think that's the case here but I will reread the OP.

I'm not so sure discussing why we might have drifted away from SU is really bashing ~ maybe some people haven't been so tactful in their posts; I haven't read them all.

I like to mention my preferences because I think we're all here to help eachother and may turn someone on to something else that will help them or that they'll love. And if someone brings up a member company, well they deserve 'good press' as they do help keep the site free for us.

Granted, I did not see all of the posts and if some are bashing the company, I think that is distasteful and unnecessary.

I think you make some very good and valid points. Whenever there is a whining or complaining thread or post, you just start to wonder - if you don't like something, skip it, move on, and you don't have to dissect it all with everyone else here. I can't tell you how many times I started to reply to a post only to just back up out of it and let it go.

I agree - the majority of people probably did start with SU. I did. And every time I see a thread asking advice for a newcomer, a lot of people, myself included, say - start with SU. It's a great place to start! And sometimes I think SU knows it, aims for that, and if things we gripe about don't change that could be a huge reason why. They are the stalwart grandmom of stamping ;)

So, even though I don't think I said a *lot* of negative about SU, and included positive, too, I do totally get where you're coming from and I am going to be more judicious about participating in threads that emphasize negativity. I'm still not completely convinced that was the intention here - maybe when there are multiple pages of replies that I don't have time to read, I should just let that thread go anyway! You just never know what you're getting yourself into ;) ;)

{{{hugs for you Betsy}}}

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #351  
Crimping Master

I agree with Nancy, about starting with SU. I said in my first post on this thread, that I also started with SU and I often encourage people that are just beginning to stamp to stay with SU, they are a great company for beginner stampers. They sell a complete line of good quality products that make color coordination easy.

I have just found that now, as an experienced stamper, that SU no longer meets my needs. I don't think that any one company could. I do wish they would give me the option to buy stamps without the wood blocks, and save a little money. It would make it easier for me to justify spending money on stamps with them (the craft budget isn't what it once was :().

I also agree that the OP didn't intend to bash SU. She was just making an observation and asking for feedback.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #352  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
I agree with Nancy, about starting with SU. I said in my first post on this thread, that I also started with SU and I often encourage people that are just beginning to stamp to stay with SU, they are a great company for beginner stampers. They sell a complete line of good quality products that make color coordination easy.

I have just found that now, as an experienced stamper, that SU no longer meets my needs. I don't think that any one company could. I do wish they would give me the option to buy stamps without the wood blocks, and save a little money. It would make it easier for me to justify spending money on stamps with them (the craft budget isn't what it once was :().

I also agree that the OP didn't intend to bash SU. She was just making an observation and asking for feedback.

Pamela
I don't think it has anything to do with experience level. It is perfect for a beginner because of the easy colour matching, but that's perfect for anyone. Stampin' Up is a great company with a lot of great images and products. We do all need variety, and we can't get that all in one place! For example, I'm totally loving the Ketto images from Stamping Bella. I can't get something like that from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #353  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been crafting for at least 20 years without SU because we didn't have it in the UK until quite recently! Now I've discovered it I just wish I'd found it sooner - the quality is excellent, and the product co-ordination is such a brilliant idea. In the last year I've come to prefer them to most anybody else, although I find that there's not enough scope in the stamp line for scrapbookers. Yes I could wish they sold them singly, especially in the current economic climate - there are always stamps in the sets that I never seem to use, but that's what Ebay is there for!!

My "other" stuff now seems a dreadful mish mash of qualities and styles, which I use less and less - apart from my ongoing love affair with K & Co and Basic Grey, and of course the clear stamps. Maybe SU will see this thread and take some of the concerns expressed here on board?

But I'd like to add that I may be the only person who LOATHES the Sugar Nellies, Magnolias, cute rabbits and whatever that seem to have set the world alight this past year! I don't "do" cute in any form, and wish there wasn't so much of it about .... I prefer classic, classy and elegant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #354  
Hardware Hotshot

For the past ten years, I've been stamping primarily with SU. I'm not the sort of person that wants a really eclectic mix in my stash. I'm trying to keep my collection simple, which for me means that I use primarily SU, with just a few other companies thrown into the mix. I'll admit that I occasionally get caught up in a trend, but I've found that when the excitement fades, I don't want to use those images anymore. This usually doesn't happen with SU if I buy smartly and know my own style preferences.

Recently, I began hunting down SU sets that are five to ten plus years old to add to my collection, and I'm thrilled! The artwork is fantastic, perfect for today's watercoloring trends. It seems I've fallen in love with the OLD SU again. I think I'm a late bloomer.

The phrase I use a lot these days is "shelf life". A lot of stamps from new companies have a very short shelf life, meaning they're red hot today, but six months from now they're as stale as a bag of unsealed saltine crackers. In my pursuit of all things thrifty, I can't purchase rubber with an expiration date anymore. But there are stampers out there who can, and I hope they enjoy finding the hot trend of the week. I've found that the "new" product of the day gets all the comments in the gallery, and that's fine. I'm quietly pluggin' away at cultivating my own style, and it just feels good to be true to myself and my craft.

Wouldn't it be interesting if we could put this thread in a time capsule and see what companies have the staying power twenty plus years from now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #355  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post

Recently, I began hunting down SU sets that are five to ten plus years old to add to my collection, and I'm thrilled!
And, isn't it nice that SU's stamps are such high quality that they easily last 10 plus years! I know I purchased stamps from other companies that didn't even make it a year, and I'm not talking about 1 dollar bin clear stamps either. They were expensive wood mounted rubber, but it just wasn't high quality. Luckily, I found SU, and I don't have to worry about my stamps falling apart on me any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #356  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Recently, I began hunting down SU sets that are five to ten plus years old to add to my collection, and I'm thrilled! The artwork is fantastic, perfect for today's watercoloring trends. It seems I've fallen in love with the OLD SU again. I think I'm a late bloomer.
I have been doing the same thing. I have been gathering up the classics that I missed before I became introduced to SU. I fing they are truely timeless and seem to blend wonderfully into several occassions.

I do wish SU would offer stamps without the wood as I unmount mine, but would not consider giving them up if they don't. It is their business and they have a right to sell their product any way they choose.

I have dabbled in other companies, and do have a collection of little used clear stamps as I prefer rubber. You learn from experimenting I am just glad SU is still here after we dabble elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #357  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenlloView Post
I know that with some this may be a sensitive subject but I have noticed over the years many stampers that have started with Stampin' Up! have branched out and stopped using Stampin' Up! for the most part. I was wondering why? Is it because they don't think that Stampin' Up! is competitive, up to date or what? I know that there are a lot of paper crafters that incorperate Stampin' Up! into all the other things they use, I guess I'm just curious what makes a person virtually stop using one product all together. Not sure I have a point, just an observation really.
As the OP of this thread let me just say that the reason I posted this was out of curiosity, nothing else. I started stamping in Feb of '04 and although I have products from other companies I would say that SU accounts for about 90% of it. I am a hobby demo for SU (since 8/07) and make my quotas mostly by myself. After 5 yrs I still use almost all SU, I noticed here on SCS how some move away from SU, and some don't. Just wanted to know why. I was not bashing at all. I think everyone has their own opinions and feel that they are justified in their thoughts even if they differ from mine.
I do like SU but they are not perfect. I think SU is a company that people have come to expect a lot from, when SU can't live up to that expectation people voice their opinion. Just think NO company could satisfy all the suggestions on this thread, that is why we have choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #358  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I collected a ton of older retired sets when I first started - the hunt was on and it was fantastic!!

I enjoyed reading maryrose's post above, and it made me think that the key for stampers is "know thyself." I don't think I buy into trends - and as long as an image really 'speaks to me,' I know it will always feel fresh and not stale a few months later, collecting dust. That actually has a lot to do with why I can now talk myself out of so many stamps and have been able to purge in the past.

BTW, I did start reading the posts here this a.m. - and got to around 85 or so, and out of those only a few were exclusively negative toward SU. Not sure if things degenerated a bit after that LOL! I think it's fine for everyone to voice their opinion though as long as manners are minded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #359  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post

{{{hugs for you Betsy}}}

Nancy

(((Nancy))) back atcha girl! Just so you know, my post wasn't in response to yours at all, and it wasn't really the op either. I didn't see it as a negative post or a complaint, rather more like a question. My post had more to do with some of the comments since then, both here and on other posts.

I don't have a problem with anybody liking or not liking SU's stamps, or anybody's stamps for that matter. As I said in my post, I know SU isn't for everybody...I "outgrew" it at one time, after all. It does seem as though it should be possible to enjoy one type or brand of stamp without putting down another. "I love the clear stamps for their ease of positioning!" Sounds a lot more positive than "If only SU would get a clue and join the rest of the world that knows that rubber is hopelessly out of date!"

I know I have a reputation of being a bit, uh, "Pollyanna-ish," but I really do prefer to look at things positively, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #360  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Betsy! I know exactly what you mean ~ I think some people just don't give the tone of their replies a second thought, while others, like us, probably obsess a bit more about it! I was really happy to read the first almost-100 replies and hear a lot of positive even from those who like other companies, too.

Actually, what bugs me even more is the "they can do no wrong" attitude about SU which I do see here. I understand demos have a vested interest but it can be so over-the-top. SU won't benefit from a bunch of "yes men" ~ but I will cover that by saying there are plenty of demos that speak their mind when they do disagree, too!!

Have a great day, Betsy, and thanks for the note. I thought it was a good question by jenllo and it never crossed my mind to expect bashing in this thread.

I will comment that when I was a demo, in the forums over there, there were people who would say that they didn't even come to General Stamping anymore because of all the negativity and SU bashing. I was shocked to read that as I've barely come across anything like that. They made it sound practically like a GS sport over here! That bugged me - I haven't seen it so much, but maybe I just don't go to those sorts of threads.
Reply With Quote Likes