Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #121  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My side of it all....

I started the complete opposite way to most of you simply because SU was unheard of (by me anyway) when I first started stamping/card making. I initially started using products from a very cheap company in the UK (and when I say cheap I mean both in price and quality). I accidently discovered a LSS who sold Penny Black and other brands of stamps and fell in love with PB and have a huge stock of them. This same store also sold Bazzill cs so I bought lots of that too, especially the bling. They also introduced me to Tildas and Great Impressions and many other brands that I love.

And then I found SCS......I found this Stampin Up thingy going on here and had no clue what it was so I went to their website and was immediately excited but disappointed at the same time as it wasn't available over here. I spent many on hour on ebay finding the stamp sets, cs, ribbon, ink, embellishments etc that I wanted and probably paid through the nose for them (some, I swear, were nearly twice as expensive as they were in the catalog), but I wanted them simple as that and therefore I paid what I could afford for them.

Now I'm a UK demo and I love SU stuff. I very rarely use any other ink (except Versafine Black as I'm trying to use it up before I buy Basic Black) and the cs is to die for. I love the fact that the colors of the inks, ribbon, DP and cs match. I could never find the right match with papers and card before and to get ribbon to be close was sometimes an impossible task despite the mounds of ribbon I hoard!

But do I buy from other companies? Sure I do. I started with a wide range of stamps, papers, inks and cs and I don't think I'll ever give that up, but the only things I buy that are non SU now are stamps, some papers (although I do buy SU's too) and ribbons (oh and cs from PTI). As much as I love SU products, I love other companies too. In fact I placed a �250 order last night (before my demo discount) and my Verve stamps arrived today, as did my Tildas direct from Magnolia yesterday. I won't stop buying from other companies just because I've signed with SU. They all deserve my love (and my money!). I feel that I have the best of both worlds - SU and non-SU!!

Gosh that turned into an essay and I apologise. I just wanted to give a different perspective on it all.

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #122  
Hardware Hotshot

i'm a demo who only buys SU CS, Ink, Tools!! Stamps however I buy what I like regardless of company. there are so many fun stamps i can't limit myself
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #123  
Insane Embellisher

My stamping style and needs have changed and SU's sets don't appeal right now. I have found images from other companies that suit me at a lower cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #124  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have drawers full of non SU! stuff that I have bought thinking I would use it, but it still sits gathering dust! For some reason, I just can't use anything but SU! I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #125  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: In a world full of family, friends and rubber stamps!!
Send a message via Skype™ to stampedbym

I was a demonstrator for 10 years... I just recently dropped. I couldn't get the sales anymore and no matter how much fun $300 would've been to spend, all I could see was how far I can $300 go and can hear my Dad telling me not to spend it all in one place!

I like SU! - but I've noticed that since I've joined SCS and gotten more involved with swaps that there is so much more fun out there besides SU! and I started reaching for everything else. It is now so rare that I actually pull out at SU! stamp set.

SU! inks - YES! SU! Basic Black - NO! SU! Cardstock - Absolutely, especially WW & VV - SU! DP - Yes/No. I like it, but I want lots in one pattern, not 6 patterns on 3 sheets. KWIM

I started stamping 11 years ago, attended a DOTS party and liked it, but then went to a SU! party and loved it and loved it for a long time. Now it's time to spread my stamping wings and try other companies.

To the OP - I hope you do well and get what you want out of SU!. There are so many to encourage you and help you along way. I don't want to discourage anyone, but my SU! stamps well has gone dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #126  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=stampedbym;11708290]I was a demonstrator for 10 years... I just recently dropped. I couldn't get the sales anymore and no matter how much fun $300 would've been to spend, all I could see was how far I can $300 go and can hear my Dad telling me not to spend it all in one place!

I started stamping 11 years ago, attended a DOTS party and liked it, but then went to a SU! party and loved it and loved it for a long time. Now it's time to spread my stamping wings and try other companies.

I just wanted to say how touching I found this post. I feel really excited for you as you try all the other wonderful crafty stuff in the huge world out there!! I really hope you have alot of fun doing it and crafting becomes totally fun being just a crafter and not having to link it to sales etc which must be tough sometimes. I think your Dad's a wise man-it would be so much fun spending $300 in a whole heap of places, getting loads of parcels and trying out so many new things, lovely stamps, amazing papers etc! Be free!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #127  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many of you, my first real experience with stamping was a SU! party (more than 10 YEARS ago *yikes!*). I bought a bunch of sets that first day that I truly regret now. I didn't know what my style was, or how it would evolve - nor did I think of anything beyond the immediate!
I liked the Demo well enough even if she wasn't very inspiring, but she had to travel about 50 miles one way to get here. I know it's silly, but I always felt guilty for making her come so far - especially if it wasn't a high $$ party. AND, I was pretty PO'd that you had to BUY a catalog. (actually, I *still* don't understand why ANY business would charge for marketing - especially if the products 'expire') Let's just say that I went to/hosted fewer and fewer parties over the next year or two.
Then, for whatever reason, I was hunting around Yahoo & found stamping groups! Suddenly I was surrounded by people that were making amazing things. Stuff that fell more into the category of ART (at least to me). I felt renewed, reenergized - interested in stamping again. I started attending shows - bought my first UM's and never looked back!
I think, in the end, there were several reasons why I moved on. Guilt (even if it was misplaced), convenience (cause I want it now, and I want more of 'A' and none of 'B'), cost (buying the whole set was always expensive - but as a SAHM I can't justify the same things I did as a DINK) and taste/style differences.
Yes, SU! has good quality rubber. Yes, their color match system rocks. Honestly though, I've never gotten bad quality rubber from anywhere else. And while there are times that I would LOVE things to match, I can't see buying ALL the inkpads and ALL the paper and ALL the ribbon, just in case. Cause you know I'm a hoarder! :rolleyes:
I'm grateful to have found SCS and am amazed at the sheer amount of talent displayed here. I'm also grateful to have my Yahoo groups & newsletters from other companies. After all, even if I can't do it - I can still drool over it! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #128  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: In a world full of family, friends and rubber stamps!!
Send a message via Skype™ to stampedbym

Quote:

Originally Posted by blank canvasView Post
I just wanted to say how touching I found this post. I feel really excited for you as you try all the other wonderful crafty stuff in the huge world out there!! I really hope you have alot of fun doing it and crafting becomes totally fun being just a crafter and not having to link it to sales etc which must be tough sometimes. I think your Dad's a wise man-it would be so much fun spending $300 in a whole heap of places, getting loads of parcels and trying out so many new things, lovely stamps, amazing papers etc! Be free!!!
Thanks for such an awesome response. I hesitated to tell my story. My Dad was a very wise man for only completing school thru the 8th grade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #129  
Insane Embellisher

I think sometimes I am an immediate gratification girl...Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Archivers here I come. Sometimes I need 1 stamp not a set....Sometimes it's a saying that I NEED! Stampin' Up doesn't fill those needs. I enjoy Stampin' Up and love my sets...but sometimes a girl needs to do what a girl needs to do...
Isaiah 40:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #130  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use only SU cardstock and inks. I just think their's is the best. In regards to stamps- I own MOSTLY SU stamps, but have recently started experimenting with other companies...I'll see a cute Riley stamp and have to have it. I'll see a cool motorcycle stamp and have to have that. SU, in my opinion, just doesn't have enough masculine stamps...I'd LOVE for them to come out with another motorcycle set, or even another car set like Classic Convertibles. So, for the most part, my loyalty is still with SU, but...if something in another company strikes my fancy, I'll buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #131  
Die Cut Diva

For the most part I use SU. I know there are a number of great companies out there, and I have bought from some of them. However, I do want to retire some day, and if I bought everything from every single company that I would like, I would be in the poor house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #132  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post

From what I have seen of Stampin Up, and I have ordered a couple of things, it IS expensive. I can make great projects with other brands of stamps, ink, paper etc. Especially when they are on sale in a LSS. Plus for MOST of the sets in the catalogue, I only like 1 or 2 stamps, and I'm not willing to pay for them all just for that. Like I was thinking of getting some wheels to do easy backgrounds, but then found out I have to pay for the handle, the wheel, and the ink separately, and that add up to A LOT. Especially if I want to use different colours of ink. For the same amount, I can get 2-3 different background stamps and ink.

Just my 2c worth.
You don't have to use the wheels with the handle- you can unmount and mount on EZ Mount and use an acrylic block. Then you don't have to worry about having the handle or getting ink cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 AM   #133  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I wish I could still be a SU demonstrator

I'd still be with SU if I could have got the customer base.
I love all their products. I do wish they would come up with more clear stamps. But like many mention the clear ones don't look as sturdy.

Though I do buy other products also. I prefer SU inks.

In regards to demo's of SU who leave because they can't afford or get the 300.00 every three months in sales.

I was a demonstrator of SU for about a year more or less.
I have to agree with the few people that had to quite because of the 300.00 every 3rd quarter that you had to sell.
I just could not afford to do it any longer.
If SU ever drops the needed sales lower to stay active then I might come back.
I know some demostrators work really hard to get their quota, and have really great luck. Some don't need to try at all and still meet the 300.00 or more and they don't end up having to purchase anything themselves to meet it.

I was telling someone I just wasn't getting the customers.
And she said I wasn't trying hard enough. But I was (she wasn't in my shoes.)I tried everything I could think of.

I just wasnt getting the customers and I was usually my own customer.
With the economy the way it had been and still is many people just could not afford to buy.

I miss being a demo, but my hubby would not be to happy if I rejoined, since he has been warned that where he works might close down and thousands will lose their jobs.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #134  
Matboard Maniac

i love stamping up but love other companies too im addicted to anything rubber that i can ink up i also like acrylic stamps too hell i could open up a store selling all my stamps lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #135  
Cardstock Collector

I have been a demo for SU for almost 7 years. They have come a long way. I love their stamps! I have all there inkpads, CS, etc. But I scrapbook so I use a variety of stuff. What I like I buy. But if I am doing a SU work shop its 100% SU. The only complaint I have been hearing lately from my customers is that they wish they would switch to clear stamps. Sometimes I wish they would too, because honestly the only things I have been selling in the last year are papers, CS, inks, embellishments and other accessories. Everyone seems to love clear and its frustrating!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #136  
Insane Embellisher

For me, I love the SU papers and inks. I am not nuts on buying stamps from them now because I feel like I am paying for a lot of wood that I am not going to use. I am becoming an Angel in about a week or so. I can handle those minimums and I LOVE the rubber with the clear blocks. I also do love Gina K and PTI and CTMH has some nice sets. If SU went to the rubber cling with acrylic blocks, lowered pricing on their sets I would probably be more interested in ordering again. But for now I will enjoy their paper which is very good quality and nice colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #137  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicole_7275View Post
I have been a demo for SU for almost 7 years. They have come a long way. I love their stamps! I have all there inkpads, CS, etc. But I scrapbook so I use a variety of stuff. What I like I buy. But if I am doing a SU work shop its 100% SU. The only complaint I have been hearing lately from my customers is that they wish they would switch to clear stamps. Sometimes I wish they would too, because honestly the only things I have been selling in the last year are papers, CS, inks, embellishments and other accessories. Everyone seems to love clear and its frustrating!!
i for one don't care for clear stamps.

i love the wood mounted rubber!!!!

i do have some non SU! stamps but very few.

i will buy SU! forever!

i also think that there is enough of a market for clear, i don't see SU! going there.

SU! has a following and there are LOTS of stampers like me who prefer mounted rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #138  
Cardstock Collector

I am glad to hear you support SU/rubber stamps also. I really love there stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #139  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i for one don't care for clear stamps.

i love the wood mounted rubber!!!!

i do have some non SU! stamps but very few.

i will buy SU! forever!

i also think that there is enough of a market for clear, i don't see SU! going there.

SU! has a following and there are LOTS of stampers like me who prefer mounted rubber.
I for one would no longer be a demo...if they went the Clear Unmounted direction..I know that those of us that LOVE the feel of the block/rubber..would have a hard time going the other direction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #140  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stampin' Up! is an awesome company with an awesome product. A lot of us first found out about stamping by attending a SU! party. Personally, for the first year I stamped--I was an SU demo and I primarily used SU (but not entirely) and I also wasn't on SCS much.

After joining in on the challenges here, I learned about many other stamp companies and just feel in love with the images and designs. I felt myself not be AS excited about SU stamps and even when got the new catalogue I only found one set that I NEEDED.

I use LOTS of SU products though---inks, some paper, dp, accessories and I think they are a fantastic company---they are just not ALL there is anymore.

It is a good thing---with lots of variety, everyone can find the stamps that fit their style and taste AND budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #141  
Crimping Master

I love SU's products. Itoo wish they offered an unmounted version. Mainly for stoage purpases. I just don't have the room .Not to mention most of their sets are priced in the mid twenties and up now. I've never used an entire set on a card so I'd prefer to be able to purchase just what I want or smaller sets. I do like that they offered a few singles this time around. I'm still new to stamping though(about 2 years), so my opioion doesn't count much when some of you have been stamping for 10+ years. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nenimlasjView Post
We it's my turn to tune in. Here's my 2 cents worth. I was a Demo over a 1 1/2. I liked the products but there is so much more out there. and I agree with StampingV not enough men stuff. How about some dsp that is man geared. come on don't they hear our wants. I don't think they care.
Jill
Wow, didn't realize at first when I started reading just how old this thread was! Anyway, I felt I had to respond to this post. SU! absolutely cares what we think -- in the past year alone I've seen them change many, many things based solely on feedback from demos and customers. The most recent major changes were the decision to go back to a single catalog per year, and to stop introducing additional double-mounted stamp sets in future catalogs, aside from alphabets and the small stamps included in kits.

Did you contact SU! to tell them your concerns? They can't change things they don't know about, and they have shown us repeatedly that they DO listen!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #143  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2 Cents -- SU, please read and listen!

I too began cardmaking via attending an SU party back in '01 or '02 and bought SU to make holiday cards. Fell off the wagon for a year or two and I then noticed a demo carrying an SU bag as I got off the train and became an S10 member through that demo. A year later, I heard of SCS through the S10group. I really wished that I had heard about SCS when I bought my first stamp set back in '01 or '02. I probably would have stamped more frequently because of the ideas for creativity I've found here for using all the SU sets. Love the SU gallery and the ideas there. I'll often look first in the gallery before buying a set I like just to see how creative I can get with using the set. I want to get the most bang for my buck.

However, now that I've been engrossed in this craze continuously for the past three years, I've created my own little stamping niche at home and space is at a premium. So I wish SU would give customers the option of purchasing stamps either mounted or UM'd. I've dabbled with a few Studio G Clear sets (maybe $10 or $20 worth, really they're $2 if purchased at A's) and decided that I only want to buy rubber. Not a fan of clear stamps. I like a lot of the other companies that I've noticed here on SCS, but I can't justify spending $$$ at my monthly S10 and spending more money elsewhere. I've tried some other brands of CS, but SU's CS and inks are only what I use for cardmaking. I'm not into embellishments, so I don't care about brads, eyelets, ribbons, and pretties/Primas--those have GOT TO GO AWAY in my opinion. But it is my opinion, so don't be offended, anyone.

Long story short: SU, PLEASE OFFER:

A CHOICE BETWEEN UNMOUNTED RUBBER AND MOUNTED RUBBER. Space is at a premium for some stampers and paying for shipping of wood that will only be discarded or given away is not a good way of spending my money. I don't have a large room to store shelves and shelves of stamps in boxes. I've unmounted for space efficiency.

A CHOICE OF BUYING SINGLE STAMPS OR IN SETS--I've seen some really cute stamps that seem to be misplaced among a given set that I would love to have singly, but I'm not going to spend upwards of $25 - $35 for the set just to use one or two stamps. That is way too much money for a stamp set in this economy right now.

CUT DOWN ON THE FLORALS; OFFER MORE MASCULINE SETS; OFFER NEW AND FRESH DESIGNS

OFFER A GREATER RANGE OF SENTIMENT STAMP SETS

Your customers are loyal, please don't take advantage of it. Other companies sprang up in part to fill a void but also because of SU's lack of listening and offering customers what they want.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but want to offer my thoughts and hope SU reads what customers are saying and responds to not only trends but customers wants as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #144  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Stampin' Up is a wonderful company. They are a company that has high morals and they give back to the community through things like the Ronald McDonald house and breast cancer stamp sets and other charitable events that they have participated in throughout the years.

They are pioneers in the industry and were the first to come out with matching card stock, inks, ribbons, buttons, brads, designer papers and more that many of us as company owners are following.

They offer great educational opportunities for their demonstrators so that they can pass those on to their customers.

I certainly enjoyed my time as a demonstrator and many of the other company owners out there got their stamping start through Stampin' Up as well.

Kudos to those SU demos who are introducing this craft to new customers everyday!

And kudos to all the company owners who have created new styles of stamps, papers and other creative mediums so that stampers have more options and new ways to learn!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #145  
Die Cut Diva

I was an SU demo for 4 years and loved their products. However, I couldn't make the minimum of $900 per quarter to stay on the demo locator. Also I wanted more of a variety of stamps. I have been a demo with Close To My Heart since September 2008 and love their papers, cardstock and ink colors.
Also CTMH lowered the minimum for the demo locator which is easier for me to meet in these poor economic times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #146  
Crimping Master

Well, I am glad to have happended upon this thread today. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who likes the feel of the wood block in my hand. I do have a couple of sets of clear, but never feel like I get the impression right, probably because I haven't used it enough and not enough practice. Also, glad to know that they are going back to one catalog a year. I have catalogs that date back to 1999, whew, that's a lot and now, going back to one a year is great. I really do like S. U. stamps, you always get a
*good impression*.....:-)....Phyllis
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #147  
Hardware Hotshot

My Step-daughter and Step-daughter-in-law were both SU demos and thats how I got started. I am a hobby SU demo now. I use ONLY SU Cardstock, and their DP, but I buy what I like, when I see it. I do a lot of online ordering.
I was only using PTI white cardstock, now I love GINA K Pure Luxury 120#. Most of my inks are SU, but I have some PTI and Versa Magic & Color box (although I forget to use them) I like SU ribbon, but I thinks it's expensive.
I like SU, but I like variety too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #148  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellcaView Post
I personally think SU has become too expensive. I do not mount my stamps, so I don't like paying for the blocks and the cases which I don't use. I wish they had a um option
I know they charge for the blocks because the sets that are double-mounted are cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #149  
Glitter Queen

Ok this post has made me re-think some things. I was almost ready to sign on the dotted line to become a demo. What I think I'm hearing here is that SU may be starting to go by the way of CM in terms of their basics are amazing but people are wanting more variety? If this is correct, I'm concerned about making sales. I, too, am not using woodmount so I wouldn't be 'selling' those but leaning more to the paper and goodies. If they have cut back on their goodies and continue to do so the paper-crafting group I have in mind as my base may also seek more variety else where. With the enconomy in the tank this all may be moot anyway if these companies all start to go under. (Hopefully it doesn't get that bad, but won't 'hobbies' be the first to go?) I, personally, can't afford the quarterly on my own but don't want to cry for sales every quarter. I want this to be fun, not about pressuring people for sales. Just doing my thinking 'out loud' at the moment so hopefully not being offensive. I think maybe I'll hold off on signing up for awhile an see what happens. Any input/opinions greatly appreciated.

Kristy

PS I want just about everything in their catty right now except the wood, which makes this even more difficult! LOVE THEIR PAPER and COLORS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #150  
Gallery Gazer

SU! was my first love, and I was a demo for seven years. Then I found SCS, and SU! just wasn't enough for me anymore. I think SU! is wonderful, but I have not bought a new stamp from SU! in two years. I have bought punches and Chocolate Chip cardstock-that's it. I guess I just like new and different. I don't really have any complaints about SU! I changed, they stayed the same.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #151  
Mad Swapper

Attending a SU stamp-a-stack is what got me started with stamping. For the first year or so, I was gung ho with SU mostly for the cardstock, inks, and stamps. However, since browsing through countless numbers of great images shown in the gallery, my taste has branched out to the more affordable companies selling unmounted stamps because I love using the acrylic block system and for storage purposes.

I still do like SU (and by far they have excellent quality rubber) but I go where I can get a good bargain/discount. I am not very particular with using a certain company for cardstock, tools and embellies. In all, most of the things I have collected over the years I've bought from either M's, Jo's, or Archiver's using a coupon or free shipping when I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #152  
Pearl-ExPert

I was actually one of those stampers you refer to in your post. I went to my first SU party, and it was love at first sight!! I had never stamped before, and was overwhelmed with it all. I became an SU customer, and was and sometimes still am. I did find however that cost was a big factor for me. Then I was introduced to unmounted, acrylic stamps, and I loved it!! So now I am an Angel for the TAC company. It suits my needs, and works well for me. But I do still purchase SU, and actually just placed an order a couple of wks ago!! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #153  
Insane Embellisher

I love their CS and have a few stamp sets and a few inkpads but mostly their stamps just don't do it for me (not my style). I think their prices on everything are very high- you can get much better deals out there such as unmounted and cling stamps or using coupons. I like to be more creative and mix and match assotred stamps,CS,papers, ribbon and such- I don't feel the need to have everything color coordinated and so overly matching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #154  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's nice to be able to order a bulk pack of cardstock in just the right color, which is the main benefit of SU. I wish they would expand their color offerings (i.e. at least let us order past in color cardstock). The bulk ribbon is convenient as well, since I only like to buy ribbon on spools. So, when I order from SU, it's mostly cardstock, ribbon, and the occasional stamp set or punch.

On the other hand, many companies have images that are more to my taste, so I buy fewer SU stamps. It's not that I dislike SU, I just prefer to spend my limited dollars on other images.

They can't compete with major scrap lines in terms of pattern paper - I can swing over to one of my local stores and get super cute paper, 1 sheet at a time, exactly what I want. If you like texture cardstock, SU makes it hard because you have to buy the multipacks, only getting two sheets of the color you really wanted. Which is not worth it when I can, once again, go to my local store and get a couple sheets of Bazzill.

Oh, and I'm a clear stamp person. Given a choice, I want a photopolymer clear stamp. Second choice is unmounted rubber. I wish SU would offer UM rubber at least.

Last edited by BasketOHearts; 02-26-2009 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: adding some blathering
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #155  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenlloView Post
I know that with some this may be a sensitive subject but I have noticed over the years many stampers that have started with Stampin' Up! have branched out and stopped using Stampin' Up! for the most part. I was wondering why? Is it because they don't think that Stampin' Up! is competitive, up to date or what? I know that there are a lot of paper crafters that incorperate Stampin' Up! into all the other things they use, I guess I'm just curious what makes a person virtually stop using one product all together. Not sure I have a point, just an observation really.
I have never stopped using SU! products. Most of my stamps are from SU! I have over 200 sets and never feel it's enough. :mrgreen: What's great about this hobby is that there's always something new. I'm loving so many new stamps coming out from various companies that I feel I'm out of the loop. I still haven't ordered any Changitos, getting my first bella stamps in the mail soon, and just received the first Rachelle Anne Miller collection. I don't think that I can "virtually stop" buying SU! products. I just love having the option to try a variety of different products. I don't put in Su! orders often. I wait until I need to restock on enough stuff to make the order worth it. That way I get my hostess sets and free merchandise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #156  
Glitter Queen

I too was a SU Hobby Demo but found that I was branching out to other companies also. I love being able to buy multiple sheets of DSP that I like instead of buying a whole pack and only using a few favorites and the rest going to waste. Also, all the cards in the galleries have begun to look alike. I buy from companies that offer free shipping and sometimes no tax. Why do you have to pay 1% more when you order from a party? More costs.
I still belong to a local SU club but only am buying stuff like Big Shop dies, punches, tools. I buy paper from Papertrey a lot. And I love love love Gina K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #157  
Mad Swapper

I just stopped buying any SU. I recently wasn't buying many stamps from them just because i've been stamping for a long time and don't like to buy more wood mounted stamp sets because they take up too much room, also their prices on stamps. I now buy almost all PTI paper/ink/ribbon that I can get all to match at a good price with free shipping.
I also don't really like the way SU runs. When companies sell wholesale to stores, they sell at 50% of retail and they still make their money. With SU, they are hardly giving their reps a discount and than they make them & you pay 10% shipping + tax, which basically eats up any discount anyway! I think they are making a killing by getting women to do their marketing for them and reaping no rewards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #158  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
SU! was my first love, and I was a demo for seven years. Then I found SCS, and SU! just wasn't enough for me anymore. I think SU! is wonderful, but I have not bought a new stamp from SU! in two years. I have bought punches and Chocolate Chip cardstock-that's it. I guess I just like new and different. I don't really have any complaints about SU! I changed, they stayed the same.

Very well put! SU was how I was introduced to stamping too and I liked them well enough to be a demo for 5 years. I still wish they would give the umounted option... but since they don't I found a company who does! I like the companionship that goes along with being a demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #159  
Compulsive Stamper

I only like rubber stamps so I have been buying SU but I have fell in love with Gina K. I like that she is offering kits with stamps and papers. I have tried clear stamps and they just don't seem to work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #160  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

One of the many reasons that I love SU is because they ARE wood-mounted. I like the feel of the wood in my hand. I don't think one can expect every company to do everything well, and for this reason I do hope that SU stays with wood-mounted stamps. That is what they are known for and they do it well. Their recent decision to listen to their customers and stop their recent trend of double-mounting their stamps, also shows how committed they are to this. LM :-)

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes