Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts
Default New Year......... do you have any craft-related resolutions?

I haven't set out any art or crafting goals yet, but one resolution I have is to be more organized (at this point in typing I looked up and saw that my blog calendar is still on November... I need an adult).

What about you?
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Ha! I don't think ANY of us are good at "calendaring" this year - every day is like every day is like the other day and I never know which one I'm on...

That being said, my one and only goal is to actually DO something, already! I have SO MUCH STUFF and SO MUCH TIME and I procrastinate and rearrange and never (well, seldom) get around to the making. I'm kicking myself in the backside to get in gear! Another "wish list" item is to spend more time in the galleries commenting and being more supportive. I'm really, really bad at that, but I may/may not step it up, knowing how past resolutions on that score have gone...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 611 Likes on 431 Posts

I made and sent so many cards last year, I hope to continue.  My resolution is to keep using paper from my stash!  I also have a bin of stamps that I need to sort and organize.  My real goal is to get back to scrapbooking.  I have been making cards but haven't gotten back to scrapping!  I will do it!  

Last edited by PMR; 12-22-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

When I ended my 10+ year break from card making earlier this year, I decided I needed to update my collection of stamps, ink, and card stock. I wish I had done some research before I jumped back into buying from Stampin’ Up!, but that’s what I knew from before and I’m kinda stuck with it now cause I spent way too much money.

Anyway, I gave away a lot of stuff thru a local buy nothing group and donated some stuff, too. I’m having a serious case of giver’s remorse when it comes to stamp sets. And, the ones that I did keep - why???

So, my goal? To use up (or at least put a dent in) the hideous amount of embellishments - eyelets, buttons, ribbon - and patterned papers that I’ve had for over a decade. Of course, I’ll probably just be making space for more stuff, but I like to think I’ll use some discernment in what I buy and not just jump on the latest trend. We’re any of you on here in 2004 when various people shared what they did with the little sets of office supplies found in the Target Dollar Spot? I promptly ran out and bought as many as I could find. Around that same time, I drove down to Portland, OR from the Seattle area with another demo for an SU! event  and we stopped at at least 5 Target stores along the way. Even though, I sent stuff to multiple SCSers that didn’t have a Target store near them and took a carryon size suitcase full of stuff to share with my stamping friends to Milwaukee, I still have mini binder clips in multiple colors and more shaped paper clips then I could use in a couple of months even if I put one on a card every day. Hello, my name is Pam and I’m a paper craft supply addict.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope to get a box of bare rubber stamps sorted and organized so my resolution is to find the best possible way to do this. Right now these stamps are really just sitting here unused (I had only used them for design team work years ago) and I do really want to use them but it's hard when they are so unorganized.

I also want to continue using more of my stash of designer papers. I finally decided to cut most of them down to 6x6 and I now keep them close to my desk so they are within reach. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use up the supplies I have and not buy more!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
That being said, my one and only goal is to actually DO something, already! I have SO MUCH STUFF and SO MUCH TIME and I procrastinate and rearrange and never (well, seldom) get around to the making.

It's the "SO MUCH TIME" part!  For the first time in ~15years, I'm not spending most of my free time sitting on gym bleachers or on the side of a soccer field.  I still work full time, but with 2 "adult" children (their adulting skills vary day to day ) I finally have free time in the evening.  And I am not getting done what I used to when I was busier!  Someone once told me "If you want something done, ask a busy person".  Wow!  So true.

So like you, Sue, I need to get it in gear.  I've had several months to adjust to my new schedule and I'm still having trouble with it.  It's a strange and unsettling feeling. 

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm just about done reorganizing my craft room. This year I plan to use my stash--less buying! I'm also going to make it a point to join in more SCS challenges too.  I love to craft, but I've been a bit down lately with everything going on in the world that I now don't even turn on the tv when I come home--the news just affects my mojo if that makes sense. So next year, its going to be a lot more crafty video watching and focusing on 'me' time and choosing joy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 02:50 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Will 2021 be the year?

My goal in 2020 with a lot of time off work was to make glorious, beautiful Christmas cards and have them done by July.  Reality...I finished my cards on December 20.  I got caught up in the “you sew?  I need some masks made.”  So I helped a lot of friends with making masks.

This year I am going to try and work on my goal, especially since my wonderful husband bought me two large cupboards to help organize my stamping supplies.  I have some more organizing to do in my cupboard (another goal) and hopefully can get making in January to June when I should be slow at work. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 05:54 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Stop buying, organize what I have so I can use it and then  USE IT!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Everyone's answers are so enjoyable to read!  What a great post!

I don't really make resolutions or goals, but I get so dang excited at the start of every new year anyways (Monday is also my favorite day of the week, for the same reason).  
I really enjoyed the stamping and crafting I did this past year and very much want to continue in the same manner.  My husband has been working from home since March, which has created a wonderfully relaxed and easy flow to our relationship and our family life.  My girls are 20, 18, and 15 and it's been so exciting to watch them create lives for themselves, but it left me with a lot of time this past year, too, which I filled with stamping, volunteering, and hanging out with my husband.  I feel like I'm in a sweet spot in life and my prayer is that God continues to bless me with that in 2021.  

I was able to donate most of the cards I made this past year to a local nursing home, which sells them in their gift shop to obtain funds for resident programs and they also give the cards to the residents as Bingo prizes.  My sister-in-law asked me for cards to sell in her salon and that's going well.  So, I have many reasons to keep stamping in 2021 and that will be my goal - to stamp, to donate, to sell, to have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Now that I'm retired crafting is my full time job with volunteer work on the side.  
My goal is to create more using the supplies I have on hand. 
I'd like to build up a nice inventory of handmade items for gift giving throughout the year in 2021. Also depending on my progress I may rent a spot to sell my goods in one of the two local handmade marketplaces. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Less time in front of a screen, more time at my craft desk. 
My coworkers and family seem to enjoy movement cards and shakers the most, so I will be making more of those this year
Like a lot of you, I will be spending less and using more of what I already have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m officially retiring December 31..... woo woo so my first resolution is to organize my craft room.  I’m looking into buying a origami rack for my machines which will clear off my extra desk. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnzimmerView Post
I’m officially retiring December 31..... woo woo so my first resolution is to organize my craft room.  I’m looking into buying a origami rack for my machines which will clear off my extra desk. 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 
I retired in April in the midst of the pandemic and I consider it a blessing in the storm. Despite the lock down due to COVID I'm luvin' retirement!
One thing I will say is that you loose track of time/days of the week. Thank goodness for digital calendars. The days just fly by compared to the days dragging by when I was working. 

Have fun organizing your craftroom and enjoy the process. You won't have to stop and go to work then try to get motivated to pick up where you left off. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

In June of 2016, my brother & SIL took our mom on an epic 18-day trip to Ireland & the U.K. I have LOTS of photos they took that I printed, with the plan of making a scrapbook album set of the trip, divided into 3 books--one for each country they visited. To date--that's 4-1/2 years, for anyone counting--the only book that I've finished is Scotland. I have several layouts for Ireland & England done. I just have to finish the rest for those countries & get them all in their respective albums. (Right now those are in a 3-ring binder-style "holding" album.) So my main goal for this year is to finish that darn project once and for all! When I finished & put together the Scotland album, I think something in my mind thought, "Oh, she's done!" And I kind of lost my scrappy mojo. There is no reason I can't have them done by next June, though, so I WILL get cracking on it!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Andrea - 4 1/2 years is nothing! My daughter is 23 and I haven’t finished her baby book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I made and sent so many cards last year, I hope to continue.  My resolution is to keep using paper from my stash!  I also have a bin of stamps that I need to sort and organize.  My real goal is to get back to scrapbooking.  I have been making cards but haven't gotten back to scrapping!  I will do it!  

I’ll second that (use what I have—-which is plenty!). 
I seem to have a Ferris for paper and ribbon—and just keep buying!  Ha ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After I paid my car off, I went crazy buying stamp bundles and suites.  Now I have to use ALL of them.  I have used a lot of them, but there are a few that I haven't used.      So my goal is to use every one of the new sets to make several cards from each one.  I also love the 3D cards and just found a couple sites that seem to specialize in the 3D's.  I'm in stamp heaven right now

Kathy's Knook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2020, 01:37 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnzimmerView Post

There's a say in feng shui that if you clean and organize your stuff at home before New Year's day will make your home for the whole of 2021 will be as tidy and organized as well. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have really given Dina's question a lot of thought. While I don't do resolutions anymore, I do create new goals for each upcoming year. My current 2021 craft goals are:

1. Leave craft "bargains" in the bargain bin. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it a good deal, especially if I don't use it.

2. Don't settle for "something similar" just because it is cheaper than what I really want.

3. Allow myself to buy a few things that I really want without the guilt that I usually heap on myself for spending money.

4. Don't berate myself for buying a new art medium or tool that I don't enjoy. <looking at you Gelatos!> Instead, look at it as money spent to experiment, then donate the items and don't look back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #22  

Received 854 Likes on 281 Posts

I resolve to use the supplies I have. All of them.

I will practice my creative skills everyday by doing something, anything creative even if it's just stamping and coloring one image on a piece of card stock.

2020 being what it's been I've simply not been in a creative mood. 
In addition to Covid, we had to evacuate for a month due to wildfires, then we spent month cleaning up smoke damage (we were lucky ones) my daughter had to change her wedding venue 8 weeks before the wedding in the middle of evacuation. We ordered envelopes for the invites just before the evacuation and all mail/packages to evacuated areas was held  at  post offices away from the evacuated areas until a couple of weeks after we were cleared to return home So we didn't get the envelopes until a month before the wedding.

Anyhow, in addition to paper crafting, I also crochet, sew, beadwork, acrylic pouring and I've never done so incredibly little. I can count on 10 fingers or less what I've created this year: 5 birthday cards, my daughter's wedding invites (and I h ad a really difficult time getting motivated to make them), and Christmas cards, and one acrylic pour painting. I've not done any crocheting, sewing- except to repair a few things, beadwork. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2020, 02:58 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things for me: to get my stamping stuff organized (for the millionth time - can anyone relate?) and to actually USE what I order! I have a tendency to order stuff I like then some of it never sees ink...or dies don’t get cut...or embossing folders don’t get used.  I think I’ve tried to completely re-organize my stamping at least 4 times but can’t seem to find a system I love yet without spending a ton of money. I really want to find something that works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I want to make more cards that actually end up in the mail!  I'm bad, in that if I don't make a card, I don't send a card.  I don't want to buy cards to mail, and in the end, I send very few other than Christmas cards.
I want to start making ahead for birthday, anniversary, get well, sympathy, etc.  Otherwise I never send.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrelView Post
Two things for me: to get my stamping stuff organized (for the millionth time - can anyone relate?) and to actually USE what I order! I have a tendency to order stuff I like then some of it never sees ink...or dies don’t get cut...or embossing folders don’t get used.  I think I’ve tried to completely re-organize my stamping at least 4 times but can’t seem to find a system I love yet without spending a ton of money. I really want to find something that works for me.

Minstrel, your post reminds me of my goal #5.Use the stuff I buy. I'm really bad about leaving stuff unused because it is too pretty, too special, too expensive and I'm afraid to "waste" it.

I would love to see you post a bit about your stamp organization (or lack of it) in the organization thread. Maybe we bounce around some ideas. I too am struggling with this at this very moment. I've pulled a lot of stuff out of boxes and now I need to find a logical home for things. I think it's time to do a big purge. I have too much stuff and way, way too little room to store it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Get going on all the Kit and Clowder coloring classes I have bought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a list of several ladies that I am going to send a card a month to.  Some are recently widowed, some for awhile.  I have so many cards and it will never make a dent in my stash, but I can also use up some Paper Pumpkin cards that are just sitting in their boxes.  Everyone needs happy mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post

I agree - too much stuff and not enough time for scrapbooking. My children are all grown and with almost adult children of their own, and I haven't even done my children's baby scrapbooks yet!

Betty

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
Andrea - 4 1/2 years is nothing! My daughter is 23 and I haven’t finished her baby book.
My daughter is almost 52 and I haven't done her baby scrapbook yet!

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangieBView Post

My daughter is almost 52 and I haven't done her baby scrapbook yet!

Betty

Betty - you’re not helping! I don’t need more excuses for not getting it done 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Betty - you’re not helping! I don’t need more excuses for not getting it done 
So true - I am a great procrastinator! My younger son sent me a website on which I answer a question about my life each week. The answers will be compiled in a book at the end of the year  - a fantastic idea which forces me to get organized and sort through photos to make scrapbooks again! My goal this year is to once again do scrapbooking instead of just cards. I am also in the process of weeding out stamps, papers, etc. that I know I will never use.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Betty, you've got me beat!
I have a 33-year-old son and a 42-year-old son who needs to have their baby photos, childhood photos, wedding photos, etc. scrapped. I was always afraid that I'd not have the "just right" embellishments or paper or ????? to do it justice. I think it's time to get off my butt and do it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

TRY not to buy anything this year. Except maybe like DS tape. I need to unplug from many places. I have made it for several months but not a whole year yet. 

Maybe do some craft zooming with friends. 

Do more comments in the gallery. I fell off the second half of this year.

Last edited by wavejumper; 12-31-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

When I ended my 10+ year break from card making earlier this year, I decided I needed to update my collection of stamps, ink, and card stock. I wish I had done some research before I jumped back into buying from Stampin’ Up!, but that’s what I knew from before and I’m kinda stuck with it now cause I spent way too much money.

Anyway, I gave away a lot of stuff thru a local buy nothing group and donated some stuff, too. I’m having a serious case of giver’s remorse when it comes to stamp sets. And, the ones that I did keep - why???

So, my goal? To use up (or at least put a dent in) the hideous amount of embellishments - eyelets, buttons, ribbon - and patterned papers that I’ve had for over a decade. Of course, I’ll probably just be making space for more stuff, but I like to think I’ll use some discernment in what I buy and not just jump on the latest trend. We’re any of you on here in 2004 when various people shared what they did with the little sets of office supplies found in the Target Dollar Spot? I promptly ran out and bought as many as I could find. Around that same time, I drove down to Portland, OR from the Seattle area with another demo for an SU! event  and we stopped at at least 5 Target stores along the way. Even though, I sent stuff to multiple SCSers that didn’t have a Target store near them and took a carryon size suitcase full of stuff to share with my stamping friends to Milwaukee, I still have mini binder clips in multiple colors and more shaped paper clips then I could use in a couple of months even if I put one on a card every day. Hello, my name is Pam and I’m a paper craft supply addict.

Ugh, I wasn't even part of the frenzy over Target Dollar spot office supplies in 2004 but I somehow ended up with boxes and containers of those shaped paper clips, tiny binders (and even worse...tiny clothespins that are too bulk to be useful). Looks like January should be button month AND tiny office supply month on the challenge thread

My resolution every single year, for the past 6 years or so, is to finish my daughter's wedding guestbook album. Let's see, this is their 12th year of marriage so I'm just a bit behind, right? I also have lots of partially done layouts from 1989 and thereabouts...so I think I've procrastinated long enough.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

Ugh, I wasn't even part of the frenzy over Target Dollar spot office supplies in 2004 but I somehow ended up with boxes and containers of those shaped paper clips, tiny binders (and even worse...tiny clothespins that are too bulk to be useful). Looks like January should be button month AND tiny office supply month on the challenge thread

Karen

I was gonna suggest office supplies for February! How about if we plan on that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I was gonna suggest office supplies for February! How about if we plan on that?

Why not?! I have SO many things I never use and this will get me to start thinking about ways to use them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My crafty goal is ALWAYS to get my craftroom organized once and for all. I've done it several times, except for that last bit 'once and for all' ... It never seems to stick, I think because I haven't found the right way to organize it that helps me keep it up.

So this holiday I started working on it again: purging, reorganizing, moving things to a better spot, etc. I've got a home for everything except for my 'excess' 12x12 patterned papers -- went a lil crazy on those in 2020, apparently! But I purged some and put the rest in a big standing up tote bag (which btw I cannot really lift) and will now work on using those up or getting rid of them -- one way or another they need to leave.

Which leads me to my next goal: buy less/use up what I have. While going through my stuff I realized I've got pleeennnnntttyyy of adhesives, in many forms, shapes, and sizes. I aim to use them up and then only buy the types I need (and not like ten different variations of each, either!). 

Out vs. In: since realistically I will be acquiring new stamping goodies this year (although trying to minimize the quantity), I will try and stick to the 'one in, one out' rule so that my space will at least be maintained. If I could do a 'one in, TWO out' that would be even better. Hmm I will have to think about that one, it would be a simple way to get more breathing room in my space. Could I do that, though? Certainly it'd get me to really evaluate every purchase a lot more than I do now, if I knew I'd be giving up two things in its place!

Speaking of 'out,' last spring I started sending cards to my stamping buddies about once a month. Somehow I completely forgot about it, and we are still not able to meet and craft together in person, so another goal is to resume mailing them cards again. Sending love to friends + using up my card stash = win/win!

Quality of my projects: some things I make for swaps, some for sending, and some simply because I enjoy the making. However, sometimes the end result is good but just leaves me feeling 'meh' about it. My goal is to challenge myself to make every project something I am thrilled about! You know how we have some things we've made that just 'get the job done' but we don't love them? And some things we've made that we love so much we'd marry them? Well that's how I want to feel about every project! So I plan to take the time and make the effort to throw myself fully into every make.

Wow this turned into a novel. But reading other replies and writing out my own helps me clarify not just what I want to do, but how I will do it. Thanks for listening! 

To sum up: 
Organize 
Buy less/use up what I have
Intake less than Output
Send cards monthly
Make every project a Love It!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangieBView Post

I agree - too much stuff and not enough time for scrapbooking. My children are all grown and with almost adult children of their own, and I haven't even done my children's baby scrapbooks yet!

Betty

Oh, I'm SO glad to see that I'm not the only one who is that far behind on my scrapbook albums. 
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My purchasing is under control, and I organized my craft room early last year.  My problem is an old one.  I want to depend less on others' reactions and follow my own instincts.  I have so many friends and relatives with different tastes and styles, most different from my own.  My thought was the card is TO them so it should be FOR them so I should do what they would like, not what is necessarily what I like. Years ago a close cousin who's an artist told me I should be true to my own style, and send what I like because then I'm sending a part of myself.  If they like or love me, they would be glad to get a part of me.  This the kind of thinking about things that ruins all the fun, but that's the problem I had. So my resolution is to do what I want to do.  I'm going to see how this works.  I might want approval more than artistic satisfaction!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
<snip> My thought was the card is TO them so it should be FOR them so I should do what they would like, not what is necessarily what I like. Years ago a close cousin who's an artist told me I should be true to my own style, and send what I like because then I'm sending a part of myself. <snip>

You have a smart cousin!

Now and then, making something you think others would like is good for stretching our creative abilities. But if you have a style that is truly your own, I think you should focus mainly on your style. I would bet that your style will eventually grow on your recipients -- especially when they start to see something in that style and they instantly think of you.
Reply With Quote Likes