Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #241  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
Remember - all your purchases count towards your minimum.
Does that include the starter kit?

And thanks for all of your valuable information. I've been following this thread. Still trying to decide if I should make the plunge.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #242  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19View Post
Having the worst time trying to figure out what sets I want. I am going to buy stuff for the 30% discount, but I will definitely need to limit my spending after buying the starter kit!
Same here! I already have Heartfelt Thanks and Loads of Love. I'd be interested in suggestions regarding sets that are versatile so I can get the most out of the kit. Also, what color ink cartridge do you use the most in your wheel? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #243  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
Does that include the starter kit?

And thanks for all of your valuable information. I've been following this thread. Still trying to decide if I should make the plunge.
Sorry, but your starter kit does not count toward your first quarter's minimums. However, don't forget that your first order receives a 30% discount, but the full retail value is what goes towards your quarterly minimum. My suggestion....once you get your kit schedule an "open house" or "New Business Launch" party and invited everyone you know so that you can share your new venture with them. There's a great change that the sales from this event will more than cover your first quarter's minimum!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #244  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie_mkyView Post
Same here! I already have Heartfelt Thanks and Loads of Love. I'd be interested in suggestions regarding sets that are versatile so I can get the most out of the kit. Also, what color ink cartridge do you use the most in your wheel? Thanks!
Here are few suggestions for versatility

$30.95 sets (Heartfelt Thanks)
Fun & Fast Notes
Year after Year
Greetings Galore

$20.95 sets (Loads of Love)
Be Happy
Boatloads of Love
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #245  
Inking Addict

I just ordered Fun and Fast Notes and Year after Year with my starter kit. I am VERY excited about those two adorable sets, and to me they seem like sets everyone would like with something for almost any occasion. Also, I guess the cartridge color depends on the wheel you get. I ordered So Saffron since I got the Fast Flowers wheel that goes with Fun and Fast Notes. I thought So Saffron would make pretty yellow flowers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #246  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljanejView Post
I just ordered Fun and Fast Notes and Year after Year with my starter kit. I am VERY excited about those two adorable sets, and to me they seem like sets everyone would like with something for almost any occasion. Also, I guess the cartridge color depends on the wheel you get. I ordered So Saffron since I got the Fast Flowers wheel that goes with Fun and Fast Notes. I thought So Saffron would make pretty yellow flowers.
That's great suggestion! I like Fun & fast Notes too, so I might order Fast Flower to be the wheel ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #247  
Crimping Master

I think for one of my 30.95 sets I am going to order Ginormous Flowers... I am excited about the 5 petal punch that coordinates with it! I still have yet to pick out another -- I already have Year after Year and I don't know if I really like nice and easy noted.

For the 20.95 set I think I'm going to pick Sincere Salutations -- you can get a lot of good use out of this set and customers like that it's so versatile.

I also want It's Your Birthday and Big Bold Birthday -- but those might have to wait until my first order.

I am so excited about this becoming a demo that I could just pee my pants! LOL!

Are there any sets from the new mini that are 30.95 or a little under?
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #248  
Crimping Master

Also, this question has probably been asked, but here it is again. If I sign up before September 30th, when do I have to meet my first $300 minimum? December 31? Thanks a ton!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #249  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenrnView Post
Also, this question has probably been asked, but here it is again. If I sign up before September 30th, when do I have to meet my first $300 minimum? December 31? Thanks a ton!
Yup - the quarter we're in now ends Sept 30, so your ffirst full quarter will be October - December, ending December 31.
It's really to your advantage to sign up sooner rather than later, since any sales you have before Sept 30 will still count towards that first minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #250  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I think for one of my 30.95 sets I am going to order Ginormous Flowers... I am excited about the 5 petal punch that coordinates with it! I still have yet to pick out another -- I already have Year after Year and I don't know if I really like nice and easy noted.

For the 20.95 set I think I'm going to pick Sincere Salutations -- you can get a lot of good use out of this set and customers like that it's so versatile.

I also want It's Your Birthday and Big Bold Birthday -- but those might have to wait until my first order.

Are there any sets from the new mini that are 30.95 or a little under?
Colleen already gave everyone some great 30.95 set alternatives. I'd also like to put in a plug for Seren Sunflower. It's a great set that can be used for just about any occasion and it's nice for demonstrating 2 step stamping.

Another good 30.95 option, if you have a lot of image stamp sets already, would be a sentiment set like "In my Thoughts", "God's Blessings" or "It's Your Birthday."

The holiday mini has one 30.95 set called "tags for all" featuring 7 different "to-from" rectangular tags, like the ones you'd put on Christmas presents. It's an adorable set, but I think its versatility would be limited, so unlessyou really cannot find anything in the main catalog that you don't already have, I would recommend choosing a set with more year-round appeal as part of the starter kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #251  
Crimping Master

Allrighty then! Thanks for all the help, ladies. I think I will go with In My Thoughts or It's your Birthday for the other one then.
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #252  
Crimping Master

Also, maybe I will go with Boatloads of Love for the 20.95 set. Too cute!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #253  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Okay so I have been stalking this thread for days because my hubby finally agreed to let me become a demo - yay! I just couldn't pass up the free inkpad thing, LOL!
Wow, Jen, this could have been me writing that post!

I, too, have been stalking this thread & I want to thank you all for the great questions and wonderful answers! I've started interviewing local demo's in my area, since my hubby has truly given me the go-ahead!

I have a question that I've been getting conflicting answers to....does anyone know whether a business license is needed when selling SU!? Or if I plan to have classes at my home, is that considered a "home business" & also thereby require a business license? Some demos have told me no, but a couple others say that it's needed. One of them says she was even fined for not having a license.

If it makes a difference, I live in Pasadena, CA....dunno if it'd be different in each state or what?? I just don't want to get in trouble, and didn't know if I needed to get the business license before I send in my paperwork to SU!

Thank you again so much for the great support here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #254  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by becky.kwanView Post
I have a question that I've been getting conflicting answers to....does anyone know whether a business license is needed when selling SU!? Or if I plan to have classes at my home, is that considered a "home business" & also thereby require a business license? Some demos have told me no, but a couple others say that it's needed. One of them says she was even fined for not having a license.

If it makes a difference, I live in Pasadena, CA....dunno if it'd be different in each state or what?? I just don't want to get in trouble, and didn't know if I needed to get the business license before I send in my paperwork to SU!
Becky,

I think the answer depends not just on your state but also on the town or county you live in. Business licensing is a local thing. To get the "right" answer I would go to your city hall and ask someone there, explaining what you plan to be doing. Some towns can be pretty stict about the types of services you can provide out of your home.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for. Perhaps there is a demo on here from Pasedena who could shed more light on the subject. But again, your best answer will probably come from your town hall.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #255  

Quote:

You sound like me! Hee hee. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #256  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Wow, Jen, this could have been me writing that post!

I, too, have been stalking this thread & I want to thank you all for the great questions and wonderful answers! I've started interviewing local demo's in my area, since my hubby has truly given me the go-ahead!

Thank you again so much for the great support here!
Too funny! My husband is not too excited about me having workshops at our house, though. I guess it cuts into his sitting on the couch in his boxers time or something like that....hehehe. But his stipulation was that I come up with the $199 on my own to buy the startup kit -- and not take any money out of our checking or savings. Which I thought was a fair deal.

So, we had a garage sale last week and I made about $50, plus I am selling all of my retired sets (and some other miscellaneous things) on ebay, plus, this week is my birthday. So I'm already up to $120 and the rest shouldn't be a problem!

LOL -- us women can just find about a way to do anything, huh? :mrgreen:
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #257  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Diane, I suspected that I'd have to go directly to city hall to ask! I would just have to figure out a way to ditch my 3y/o DD & 16 mo old DS!

I've asked a demo here in Pasadena - she came up with the most surprised look on her face & basically said, "I never thought about that!" It seems that the ones who don't have a business license just didn't think about it/find out whether they needed one. So....off to city hall to find out if I want to be safe....

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Becky,

I think the answer depends not just on your state but also on the town or county you live in. Business licensing is a local thing. To get the "right" answer I would go to your city hall and ask someone there, explaining what you plan to be doing. Some towns can be pretty stict about the types of services you can provide out of your home.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for. Perhaps there is a demo on here from Pasedena who could shed more light on the subject. But again, your best answer will probably come from your town hall.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #258  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

His stipulation was that I come up with the $199 on my own to buy the startup kit -- and not take any money out of our checking or savings. Which I thought was a fair deal.

So, we had a garage sale last week and I made about $50, plus I am selling all of my retired sets (and some other miscellaneous things) on ebay, plus, this week is my birthday. So I'm already up to $120 and the rest shouldn't be a problem!

LOL -- us women can just find about a way to do anything, huh? :mrgreen:
Jen, that's me, too! I didn't want to take money out of the "family budget". I think my hubby is more concerned about the time factor vs the expenses (altho I don't think he knows what "business expenses" I might have in the near future! LOL!)

But I was lucky enough to get quite a bit in birthday money (looks like we're both August babies!) so I think I'm mostly covered in terms of the starter kit.

Still, I might start listing things on craigslist for "extra supplies" for that first order I make! Hmmm, garage sale.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #259  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=jenrn;6908873]Too funny! My husband is not too excited about me having workshops at our house, though. I guess it cuts into his sitting on the couch in his boxers time or something like that....hehehe. QUOTE]

My husband is the same way - I can do whatever I want as long as it doesn't involve people coming over to the house.

Oh well, I'll find a way around that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #260  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks, Diane, I suspected that I'd have to go directly to city hall to ask! I would just have to figure out a way to ditch my 3y/o DD & 16 mo old DS!

I've asked a demo here in Pasadena - she came up with the most surprised look on her face & basically said, "I never thought about that!" It seems that the ones who don't have a business license just didn't think about it/find out whether they needed one. So....off to city hall to find out if I want to be safe....
Becky -- you might want to check out this sign, especially the bottom of the page about home based businesses. http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/finance...se/BLterms.asp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #261  
Kookie Creator

Thanks again, Diane. I have tried to navigate the website for the city of Pasadena, but there was so much verbiage....and I couldn't find out answers regarding my specific situation. I think I may just have to find time to go to city hall to ask my questions and/or apply for a permit. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #262  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks again, Diane. I have tried to navigate the website for the city of Pasadena, but there was so much verbiage....and I couldn't find out answers regarding my specific situation. I think I may just have to find time to go to city hall to ask my questions and/or apply for a permit. Thanks again!
I noticed that the site wasn't particularly user freindly, but they did list several phone numbers. Maybe you can save yourself an in-person trip. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #263  
Matboard Maniac

This is an awesome thread and I am so very tempted to do this, even if it's just for myself! I love the stamps, and love to play.

I'm wondering about something though. If you have more than $300 worth of sales in a quarter, can the additional amount roll over for the next quarter? Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #264  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytinaView Post
This is an awesome thread and I am so very tempted to do this, even if it's just for myself! I love the stamps, and love to play.

I'm wondering about something though. If you have more than $300 worth of sales in a quarter, can the additional amount roll over for the next quarter? Does that make sense?
No, sorry, once the quarter is over, your balance will zero out for the next quarter.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #265  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=craftytina;6913450]This is an awesome thread and I am so very tempted to do this, even if it's just for myself! I love the stamps, and love to play.

Tina,

I was on the fence about this also and I just signed up when they announced their demo special.

I just got my e-mail today that my application was received, I cant wait to get my stuff to play!!!

Im very excited. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #266  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
No, sorry, once the quarter is over, your balance will zero out for the next quarter.

Good to know! Thanks for the info! I am almost ready to do this. I think I will contact a couple of demos in my area first, though, and see if they are interested in being uplines for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #267  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=Barbie 50;6913661]
Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytinaView Post

Tina,

I was on the fence about this also and I just signed up when they announced their demo special.

I just got my e-mail today that my application was received, I cant wait to get my stuff to play!!!

Im very excited. :p
That is awesome that did it!!! I am so excited for you!!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #268  
Pearl-ExPert

Daaa! You guys are killing me!! I have 3 weeks left to wait!!! *sob* 3 weeks left to change my mind on what sets I am getting... baroque motifs, Illuminations, or bundled in love? Boatloads of love or Snowflake spot? I flip flop on my decisions like every other day!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #269  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Daaa! You guys are killing me!! I have 3 weeks left to wait!!! *sob* 3 weeks left to change my mind on what sets I am getting... baroque motifs, Illuminations, or bundled in love? Boatloads of love or Snowflake spot? I flip flop on my decisions like every other day!
Oooh....that is tough! I really considered Illuminations, Bundled in Love, and Boatloads of Love. If it were me, I would get Bundled in Love and Boatloads of Love. Illuminations is beatiful, though, and I've talked to several people who love that set. You will be happy with any of those sets, and you can get the others for 30% off on your first order. Good luck choosing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #270  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
You need a social security number in the US? Yikes -does that mean I would need a social insurance number? I want to become a demo in Canada but I am an American citizen without a Social Insurance number....
Can any Canadian demos help me please??

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #271  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Not a Canadian Demo........YET.........but I've got all the papers up in my space ready to sign. There is a spot for your SIN.....BUT not sure if your hubby couldn't sign up and you do the actual footwork?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #272  

Quote:

Suzy - you could phone SU! Demonstrator Support to check, however I believe you need BOTH a Social Insurance Number AND a Canadian address. As a SU! demo, you are "working" in Canada, even if it is working for yourself, plus SU! send you your overrides, etc. In order to do that, and report everything, you need a SIN.

Even if your dh signed up, you would have to sign up as a supporting demo in order to call Demonstrator Support about customers, etc. ... and to do that you'd still need the SIN.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #273  
Crimping Master

Quote:

LOL! You guys crack me up! Personally I like Boatloads of Love the best out of those. Illuminations is just not my style-- I think it looks funny.....anyone with me there?

Bundled in love is super cute too!

I think I may get Baroque motifs with my first order, though.
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #274  
Crimping Master

Wooohooo! I finally have the $199! We had a birthday get together last night at my house so I made the goal. Just called my demo and I am going to her house after lunch to sign the paperwork. YAY! :mrgreen:
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #275  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Wooohooo! I finally have the $199! We had a birthday get together last night at my house so I made the goal. Just called my demo and I am going to her house after lunch to sign the paperwork. YAY! :mrgreen:
Congratulations Jen! And Happy Birthday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #276  

Quote:

Congratulations! What a great way to celebrate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #277  
Crimping Master

That's wonderful--congratulations and have fun with your demonstratorship!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #278  
Kookie Creator

Congrats, Jen!! You will have SO much fun deciding what to get in your Starter kit and waiting for that UPS truck to pull up at your door! I've said it's just like Christmas morning!! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #279  
Compulsive Stamper

OK Everyone, I got my demo number today already! the paperwork just went in on Friday so that was superfast. Wait till you see all the great stuff on the "demo" side of SU site. Now I'm just waiting for that big box of goodies to arrive! It was totally worth it and for those on the fence, the demo I signed up with offered a $25 instant rebate so the cost was only $175 and another $25 after your first $1000 in sales. If you are a demo this is a great incentive to sign people up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #280  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlisaKnickView Post
OK Everyone, I got my demo number today already! the paperwork just went in on Friday so that was superfast. Wait till you see all the great stuff on the "demo" side of SU site. Now I'm just waiting for that big box of goodies to arrive! It was totally worth it and for those on the fence, the demo I signed up with offered a $25 instant rebate so the cost was only $175 and another $25 after your first $1000 in sales. If you are a demo this is a great incentive to sign people up.
Do you get your Demo number via email?
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes