Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I returned it! But don't panic! There was nothing wrong with it, I really liked it. I just had a very unusual problem with it: The trimmer has a layer of clear plastic over the whole top and because of the lighting in my studio, I could not put it in the spot where it had to go without having a mirror image of the bottom of my swing arm sconce lamp and bulb shining into it and blinding me. My guy and I tried every which way of rearranging things, but it was no use. It was like working with someone holding a lit lightbulb in your eyes.

So weird, right? And so disappointing, because I really liked it! I'm sure you will too! Until I totally revamp my studio, I can't get any of the beautiful new Fiskars trimmers, because they all have that shiny plastic top.

I am going to keep my old SU trimmer and I bought their guillotine trimmer instead. So now I have both kinds of trimmers and I actually find each has its uses.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I just ordered one of the new trimmers today, as my 1/2 price item from my hostess party! So now that everyone has had time to use them, what is the verdict? Please share what you all think of this trimmer, now that you have had some time to use, and get used to it? Thanks!!
I love mine! I don't use it a lot as I have the tabletop one that I use for 90% of my cutting but I had an old and cheap fiskars and this one is so much better. It's more sturdy for one and seems to cut way more straight!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 822 Likes on 334 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I returned it! But don't panic! There was nothing wrong with it, I really liked it. I just had a very unusual problem with it: The trimmer has a layer of clear plastic over the whole top and because of the lighting in my studio, I could not put it in the spot where it had to go without having a mirror image of the bottom of my swing arm sconce lamp and bulb shining into it and blinding me. My guy and I tried every which way of rearranging things, but it was no use. It was like working with someone holding a lit lightbulb in your eyes.

So weird, right? And so disappointing, because I really liked it! I'm sure you will too! Until I totally revamp my studio, I can't get any of the beautiful new Fiskars trimmers, because they all have that shiny plastic top.

I am going to keep my old SU trimmer and I bought their guillotine trimmer instead. So now I have both kinds of trimmers and I actually find each has its uses.
Did you remove the clear plastic film? It's meant to be removed. It's like the clear film that is often found on electronics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I did. The trimmer was actually less reflective before I removed it. I'd read a post somewhere by someone who hadn't realized it was there, and then couldn't figure out what was going on when it started to (fairly soon) peel up as she was working. So I knew to take it off. The plastic that covers the measurement grid is what was so reflective. Like I said in my post, it's a problem that I doubt many other people would have. I just have that end of my worktable lit by a swing arm lamp that is mounted on the wall, and the lamp hangs right over that area. So when you look into something reflective beneath it, you see a big lightbulb.

I was pretty flummoxed by it. But even my guy said he'd be driven crazy if he had to work over that trimmer with the bulb glaring in his eyes. So it wasn't just me being weird. (I always have to check, because I am definitely prone to weird).

I wish everyone else all the best with this lovely trimmer. I was sad to send it back. But it did inspire me to get the SU guillotine instead, and I am finding I like having both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

One warning to anyone who has the Fiskars SureCut trimmer. DO NOT PRESS HARD when cutting! That lovely wire that shows exactly where the blade will cut can FRAY! Once it frays, the party is over, and the cuts are AWFUL and there's nothing you can do about it! I got mine before SU announced their new cutter, and I LOVE the fact that the base is over 6", so you don't need to use the extension arm unless you're cutting something over 6". I love that I can cut a card base without flipping out the arm.

I was in the midst of prepping for an event when this happened, so I ordered another one from Amazon. Last weekend, I was making journals for DD's Awana girls, and DD was cutting some cardstock and all of a sudden, she said, "Mom, what's wrong? Look how this is cutting?" and I knew what had happened. So now I have TWO Fiskars Surecut cutters with frayed wires.

I had heard that Fiskars Customer Service is excellent, so I filled out the warranty form on their website and attached pictures. Hopefully I'll get the replacement cutters soon since I'm using an old blue Fiskars that lacks the features of the Surecut. I probably should've just bought the SU one when the first one bit the dust, and I probably will eventually, so I can show my customers, but in the meantime, Fiskars owes me TWO new SureCut cutters!!

Just wanted to warn anyone who has the cutter with the wire - don't press too hard!!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

So does the new SU! trimmer have the wire? Now I'm confuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #47  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

NO wire on the new SU cutter

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
One warning to anyone who has the Fiskars SureCut trimmer. DO NOT PRESS HARD when cutting! That lovely wire that shows exactly where the blade will cut can FRAY! Once it frays, the party is over, and the cuts are AWFUL and there's nothing you can do about it! I got mine before SU announced their new cutter, and I LOVE the fact that the base is over 6", so you don't need to use the extension arm unless you're cutting something over 6". I love that I can cut a card base without flipping out the arm.

I was in the midst of prepping for an event when this happened, so I ordered another one from Amazon. Last weekend, I was making journals for DD's Awana girls, and DD was cutting some cardstock and all of a sudden, she said, "Mom, what's wrong? Look how this is cutting?" and I knew what had happened. So now I have TWO Fiskars Surecut cutters with frayed wires.

I had heard that Fiskars Customer Service is excellent, so I filled out the warranty form on their website and attached pictures. Hopefully I'll get the replacement cutters soon since I'm using an old blue Fiskars that lacks the features of the Surecut. I probably should've just bought the SU one when the first one bit the dust, and I probably will eventually, so I can show my customers, but in the meantime, Fiskars owes me TWO new SureCut cutters!!

Just wanted to warn anyone who has the cutter with the wire - don't press too hard!!
I did the same thing to my Fiskars cutter. Recently I decided to snip the wire off with a wire cutter, and it works just fine now (after changing the blade!). I obviously don't have the wire to see exactly where I am cutting, but my old cutter didn't either Keep us posted if Fiskars helps you out though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Just an FYI: I have had great customer service from Fiskars. They have replaced two of my Surecuts trimmers due to wire issues. I am still undecided on purchasing the new SU trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought several Fiskars paper cutters since starting to paper craft and the only one that I really like and use often is the 9" guillotine cutter- own several. ( keep one in my workshop bag and one in my crafting area) The others were either thrown out or given away. The new SU cutter is made by Fiskars and sorry, but I would not pay $42.00 for a Fiskars cutter.

Please don't get all bent out of shape anyone who has a Fiskars cutter and loves theirs. I have used their rotary, replaceable blade and guillotine cutters. This is only my opinion from my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by leibettyView Post
NO wire on the new SU cutter
Thank you!! I'm so glad it doesn't!!
Reply With Quote Likes