Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #121  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally underwhelmed. Seemed like every time I turned a page, the stamp sets were ones that have been out before (a lot of carryover, especially from all the recent minis). Much prefer the section dividers this time showing a bunch of samples instead of the single designer series paper example. Once again with the Sizzix dies there's no indication as to the size of the final cut pieces. At least on the Sizzix website for ones that aren't SU exclusives, Sizzix lists approximately what the final cut size of something is so you have an idea of what you're looking at. SU only lists the size of the die itself (not very helpful when you want the size of the cut pieces). I like using 1/4" grosgrain, but the availability has been cut almost in half. Liked the line around the stamps that had a matching punch - good information but throws off the look of the set - takes some getting used to.

Overall just seemed like the catalog was a lot smaller than normal. I was to the end in no time at all - overall very few new sets (like I said before, lots of carryover). A few cute sets but nothing screamed "gotta have". Cover was pretty, section dividers were pretty, but overall seemed like not a ton of samples. The samples that were there were pretty, but just seemed like there weren't many to look at. Looks like SU didn't spring for a better quality of publishing because the light grey ink comes off easily like the last catalog did if it gets the least bit wet (never used to have that problem until the last catalog). Not one hostess set was an "oh, I have to have that". I feel sorry for demos who basically buy for themselves since there's not a lot of new stuff overall.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #122  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy ribbon now in the colors you want.... the new catty only offers ribbon in the core 13 colors (previously listed in another post) NO choc chip ribbon, NO pink pirouette, NO bashful blue... the list goes on and on!!!!

They do offer IN color ribbon in one style but that's it.

I'm TORE UP over the lack of colors in ribbons!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #123  
Kookie Creator

My Demo's case of catalogs arrived today and I will get my own copy tomorrow - just in time for the weekend - yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #124  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel08View Post
It appears that these items have now been removed.
I did notice when I saw the listing yesterday that one item was a set of 13 markers in the new core colors, so maybe thats how the markers will be sold.
They were back this morning when i searched, there are about 7 listings from the one seller selling paper and ribbons in the new colours (not sure if they are the new colours though I havent looked at the new chart as of yet but listing said 2010 colours - having said this 3 of these colours were in the aust autumn mini...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #125  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I know my demo will mail mine the second she gets it, but I want to email her every day bugging her! haha.

I did find out today that the baby I"m carrying is a boy so I could email her,

"So did you hear, the baby is a boy! How exciting, three boys! Are there any new boy baby sets in the SU catty? Do you have it yet to even know?"

Yeah, that's totally slick... NOT. haha. I'll just wait.

i'm excited, I really didn't see any previews this time, besides that small one linked on the thread. So it will be all new. (almost)
CONGRATS ERIN!!! And no that is a slick email lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #126  
Rubber Obsessor

My demo should get her catalogs TODAY! She let us drool over hers yesterday and there were 3 of us that loved the new catty. We are all seasoned stampers and definitely found stamp sets, punches, etc. that we NEED! It's beautiful. Great samples. All of the accessories that go with the cardstock are listed right underneath instead of on different pages so that's easier. There's an adhesive chart for what to use on what surface. Rhinestones and pearls (150 for $4.95!). You can buy markers and pastels in a set of just the new colors which is so nice. I can't wait to get my own catty. Thanks SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #127  
Crimping Master

I sat down with the new catty and went through it twice and other than the owl punch there was nothing I can see myself buying. Many of the sets that caught my eye were ones similar to some I already have from purchased from other companies recently

I was hoping for some fresh new styles in their illustrating but it's the same old-same old. It's kinda sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #128  
Hardware Hotshot

I think when I research other companies that each company has its own style and things look the same. I love lots of companies, but I always see a trend/style throughout and think that each company really looks repetitive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #129  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the new colors, all of them. Though I am disappointed in "Blush Blossom". It looks very similar to pretty in pink and pink pirouette, how many light pinks do we need?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #130  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
I love the new colors, all of them. Though I am disappointed in "Blush Blossom". It looks very similar to pretty in pink and pink pirouette, how many light pinks do we need?
I agree -so many lights pinks ... and then they do away with most of the purples. Just doesnt make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #131  
Die Cut Diva

I saw the new catty! While there are a few things that I will purchase over the course of the year, there is nothing that really excites me. I'm disappointed because I was hoping to "love" and "have to have" a bunch of stuff. Oh well, guess I will save some money!!!!! Then again, maybe my mind will be changed when I see others posting their cards - it has happened many times before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I saw the new catty! While there are a few things that I will purchase over the course of the year, there is nothing that really excites me. I'm disappointed because I was hoping to "love" and "have to have" a bunch of stuff. Oh well, guess I will save some money!!!!! Then again, maybe my mind will be changed when I see others posting their cards - it has happened many times before!
This always happens to me, I don't think twice about a set, then it becomes the hotness and I see the coolest things done with it and have to have it. I never gave Medalion a second look till I saw the galler. Then on my heck I realized it was awesome. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #133  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneDuView Post
My demo should get her catalogs TODAY! She let us drool over hers yesterday and there were 3 of us that loved the new catty. We are all seasoned stampers and definitely found stamp sets, punches, etc. that we NEED! It's beautiful. Great samples. All of the accessories that go with the cardstock are listed right underneath instead of on different pages so that's easier. There's an adhesive chart for what to use on what surface. Rhinestones and pearls (150 for $4.95!). You can buy markers and pastels in a set of just the new colors which is so nice. I can't wait to get my own catty. Thanks SU!
Thank god to hear this! I was getting upset that it wasnt going to be good with some of the comments! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #134  
Crimping Master

Argh! After the built-up hype, I was so excited my demo gave me a free copy today with delivery of some CS I ordered. But, on first pass, there was NOTHING I want to order! WAH!!! So glad I decided to wait to see if I wanted to get the starter kit and become a hobby demo myself. Guess for now, I'd rather pay the 20% premium than to worry about meeting quota.

I really do hope there will be some cool projects so I can change my mind and decide there are some stamp sets I can't live without, like PP said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #135  
ch
Mad Swapper

Just a question--what exactly are you looking for? I found plenty to get excited about, love the fresh new colors. Several of the level one stamp sets are fun. I love greeting sets. Curly Cute, A Word For You and Word Play are fun. I like Just Believe, Homegrown, In the Wilderness, Perfect Punches, Baby Steps, Homemade, For You Flower. I will try to limit my DS paper--it multiplies I'm sure! I have to have Celebrations (I make 100 BD cards for my mother), I also like Jolly Holiday and Playdate!
This should keep me busy till the holiday mini is released!
Smiles, cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #136  
Die Cut Diva

For me, I think because I have been stamping for a while now, I have a lot of sets that are "similar" to ones in the new catalogue. If I was a brand new stamper, I would have a different outlook and would probably love the catalogue and want everything. I do like some of the new colours, but the in-colours dont seem to do a thing for me this year. This goes for a lot of companies out there, while I "like" a lot of their stuff, I just dont "need" a bunch of sets that are similar. I will always love SU though and will continue to buy ... I could never give it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #137  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

For me, I think because I have been stamping for a while now, I have a lot of sets that are "similar" to ones in the new catalogue. If I was a brand new stamper, I would have a different outlook and would probably love the catalogue and want everything. I do like some of the new colours, but the in-colours dont seem to do a thing for me this year. This goes for a lot of companies out there, while I "like" a lot of their stuff, I just dont "need" a bunch of sets that are similar. I will always love SU though and will continue to buy ... I could never give it up.
Deb, you summed up my sentiments exactly! I like the new core colors, but I thought the In Colors were blah. And a stamp set has to be something really new and different and special for me to buy it now. If it's not filling a hole in my ten year collection, than I tend to pass it by.

I think that SU is primarily interested in the newbie stamper. They are, after all, a home party based business, and that's where new stampers learn techniques. I just wonder if, at some point, the new stamper market becomes saturated. Then what? Maybe the craft is just peeking, and I've seen it and done it all. It probably takes a lot to impress me these days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #138  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisaJaneView Post
Back to topic....an owl punch....yippee!!! I am all excited. I've also heard through the grapevine that the card samples have been stepped up in the new catty. Can't wait to see. Also, it sounds like there are lots of impressive new stamp sets mixed in with the carryovers. And I am so excited to see the new designer papers!!! It won't be long now, it won't be long now, it won't be long now!!!!
I have my catty now and yes the owl is awesome!! I did notice that there are a lot more cards in this catty that i want to case. I can't wait to place my first order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #139  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I totally agree with this one and maryrose's comment about SU being geared towards new stampers. I think they're also geared towards the stamper who is pretty much SUO and doesn't venture out in search of stamps. There are several sets I think are gorgeous, but I already have similar items from other companies. If I never ventured outside of SUO then the sets would be "must haves" for me. Visually, the catalog is very pretty. New stampers or stampers who don't really go searching the web for stamp designs from other companies will think it's great and new. For those who have been stamping a long time (and who, unlike a lot of demos, actually keep their stamps instead of selling off retired stuff) you probably already have lots of similar items from older SU sets or from other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #140  
Mad Swapper

Sorry if this has already been asked/mentioned somewhere - does anyone know if the new catty will have Cottage Garden (released in other countries - matches Cottage Wall DSP) and/or My Sweet Pea (also released in other countries - matches the Sweet Pea stitched felt and the Sweet Pea DSP?)

Both of those are such cute sets!!! TIA

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I have my new catty. On a side note - My husband had to have emergency surgery and has been in ICU since Tuesday. He's home now and going to be fine! Say a thank you prayer for us both! It puts everything in perspective.

My demo brought the catty to the hospital for me because she is good as gold and wanted to cheer me. I really liked it. There is a lot of carry over...but I am thankful for that. I was one of those that was glad SU went back to just one catalog a year. Otherwise I couldn't keep up with my wish list in this economy....can you imagine all new stamp sets and colors? Who has that kind of money?! But there are at least two new stamp sets on my MUST HAVE list. The first is a silhouette (love those), a vegetable set (it's different from anything I have).

There are some new open line (that's my made up name for them...like 5th Avenue Floral) sets that are interesting. They look like they're going to be great for those that love to watercolor. I KNOW once I see the cards that others make on here, I'll be wanting more. If you like vintage...there are lots of goodies to look forward to. One set has a farm truck full of apples and another has chairs and a bench. The bird cage set is too cute. The designer papers are beyond wonderful. There are some large and small patterned papers. The card examples in the catty are well done, too. It made me look at some of the stamp sets that aren't new and say...hmmm, I like that but never noticed it before.

I also love the deep dark Early Espresso color and the In Color Peach Parfait. I haven't had time to really dig my teeth deeply in to it (my heart just wasn't in it while he was in the hospital), but plan to do that soon. First impressions are great. Some old, some new, it's all good!

Take care my friends...I hope you all have seen the catty too by now or will very soon. I am thankful to have this craft/passion/obsession in my life and to have others to share it with. I'm even more thankful to have my husband well.....BE SURE to hug those you love and tell them how much you care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #142  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked/mentioned somewhere - does anyone know if the new catty will have Cottage Garden (released in other countries - matches Cottage Wall DSP) and/or My Sweet Pea (also released in other countries - matches the Sweet Pea stitched felt and the Sweet Pea DSP?)

Both of those are such cute sets!!! TIA
Yes, Cottage Garden is in there! $18.95 for Wood; $14.95 for Clear. No My Sweet Pea.

Annie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #143  
Stazon Splitcoast

Erin and Mary Rose - I'm the mom of 3 boys, too! It's wonderful, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05View Post
There's a new DSP, Sunny Garden, that matches the Cottage Garden stamp set. It is the same pattern as Cottage Wall DSP, but different colors. Instead of purples and greens, it's in Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, Pear Pizzazz, and Peach Parfait....pretty and cheerful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #145  
Mad Swapper

TY for the quick response, Annie and Leisa!!! Glad at least one of them made it in Maybe we'll get My Sweet Pea in an upcoming mini. Can't wait to see the Sunny Garden DSP - sounds fun and pretty!!!

Also, Leisa - read the post about your husband - glad to hear he is okay now. You're right - when something like that happens it sure puts life into perspective.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, and for those that love the single stamp sets...there are some really cute ones. I'll be ordering Elizabeth...a vintage wallpaper type pattern with an oval frame on top. It's so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #147  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Well, I have my new catty. On a side note - My husband had to have emergency surgery and has been in ICU since Tuesday. He's home now and going to be fine! Say a thank you prayer for us both! It puts everything in perspective.
Sending get well wishes your way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #148  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to my monthly stamp club today in hopes of catching a small peak at the new catalog, but my demo said she has yet to receive hers & probably won't have our individual catalogs for at least 2-3 weeks after the July 1st date. It was kind of disappointing after all the talk on here. I would have liked to see some of the new colors in person. I did get my backordered Square Lattice embossing folder though which was a good thing.

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ooooo, I LOVE that square lattice embossing folder! That's on my list, too. I just opened a pack of the In Colors that my SU fairy sent me....I love Peach Parfait and Pear Pizzazz. I didn't think I would like Pear Pizzazz so much because I am a HUGE Kiwi Kiss fan and love Certainly Celery, too. But I have just found another green that I'm crazy for...go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #150  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Ooooo, I LOVE that square lattice embossing folder! That's on my list, too. I just opened a pack of the In Colors that my SU fairy sent me....I love Peach Parfait and Pear Pizzazz. I didn't think I would like Pear Pizzazz so much because I am a HUGE Kiwi Kiss fan and love Certainly Celery, too. But I have just found another green that I'm crazy for...go figure.
Ahhh, another green to love. I can't wait to see it, although it looks like it will be next month's stamp club before I see it in person. (Hopefully!)

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #151  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got my copy today and wrote my thoughts on my blog.

Personally, I like it much better than the 09-10 catalog. Love the hostess level 1 sets! There are some stamp sets I want - not a lot but some. There are several new accessories I'm interested in - the pearls you can now by separately. And I really love the new antique brads.

Cardstock went up in price but as far as I can tell, that is the only thing.

Some of the new colors and returning In colors I like and some I could do without. Too many light pinks, too many reds, no lavendar, medium purple or basic medium blue. I like the neutrals palette a lot. Much prefer it as its own color family.

One thing I don't get is the pricing on the make-up watercolor crayons. 17 new colors for $40. Yet, the individual color families are 10 colors for just $16 or $17. This makes no sense at all.

I agree with other comments about the ribbon. If a color comes with ribbon, it comes in all the ribbons but there are so many colors that have no ribbon at all. In the Regals collection, the only color that has ribbon is navy. Also, I really wish SU! would sell smaller quantities of ribbon like PTI does. It takes forever to go through 15 yards of one color. I wish I had known they were not going to have choc chip and some of the others in ribbon. I would have bought some of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #152  
Rubber Obsessor

Saw my demos catty last week. Happy to see a number of the sets returning from last year's catty. There were more on my wish list than I could afford - now I can catch up. Was a little disappointed that there weren't more clear mounts, but I have been putting the stickers directly on the stamps and using Aleene's Tack It over & over and they work fine. Just need more of the new style cases. Have figured out how to make them pretty much match the SU case inserts so they look neat on the shelf. Looking forward to getty my own copy so I can spend some real time with it. On first glance there isn't a lot that I must have, but often I use them at stamp class or stamp camp and they become a must have. Wish there were a couple more true blues and will miss the purples, as purple is my favorite color, but I guess I'll learn to live with it. Went to a stamp camp today and several of the demos used new in colors and sets and they really are pretty.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #153  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know some will be and some won't....but I was very pleased with the Level 1 Hostess Sets. Of course there's a silhouette one, and I'm a sucker for those. But there's one that matches up with punches, some great sentiments, and another DSP pack in In Colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #154  
Crimping Master

I should prob look on the SU webside, but is there a sweet pea felt thingos in there? I never saw them in the Aust ones and wanted them so badly!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #155  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisha_1988View Post
I should prob look on the SU webside, but is there a sweet pea felt thingos in there? I never saw them in the Aust ones and wanted them so badly!!!
No Sweet Pea felt in the USA catalog, but not sure about the Australia catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #156  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaEDesignView Post
One thing I don't get is the pricing on the make-up watercolor crayons. 17 new colors for $40. Yet, the individual color families are 10 colors for just $16 or $17. This makes no sense at all.
The new color watercolor crayons set includes 4 new tins to hold all the crayons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #157  
Matboard Maniac

I was not blown away with the stamps in the new catalog. Seems like I have most of them already or sets that are very similar. Nothing really different from all of the old catalogs.
I'm glad that they are offering markers and watercolor crayons in the colors that are new to the basic line. That's a good thing for sure. I'm also happy to see that you can get the designer series papers in all of the core colors. I wish they would sell the in colors in the spots though. I have so many of the inks and the spots are so much easier to store.
I wish they would offer more colors in the 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon. I like most of the colors they are offering but wish they would offer them all. That is one thing I love to have match. And I wish the in color ribbons were available in 1/4 inch grosgrain. But overall, I'm pleased with the ribbons.
There were a couple of punches that I might want to purchase but, again, I have practically all of them already.
I think the person who said that SU is mainly for the newbie stamper is right. I'm sure that if I were a new stamper, I would love the catalog but for someone who has been stamping for a while, I'm not that impressed with the stamp sets. Wish more were available in the clear mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #158  
Watercolor Wizard

I saw it, have mine in my possession, and am feeling quite ambivalent about it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #159  
Stampin' Fool

Can a demo tell us when the new color ink pads are going to be available. As I understand it there is some type of delay with them????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #160  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
Can a demo tell us when the new color ink pads are going to be available. As I understand it there is some type of delay with them????
Seriously? That stinks! Does anyone know if this is all the new colours or just the in-colours?
Reply With Quote Likes