Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ideas

I'm frustrated...I always thought I was pretty creative (if the amount of craft supplies I have at home is any indication, I must be very creative!!!), but I'm having trouble thinking of new ideas for designs. It seems that all of my designs are similar. Maybe this is just a "dry spell", but I'd like some reassurance that others go through the "no new ideas" phase as well.
Is it just me???:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

sometimes we all go through that. And I am convinced there aren't any truly NEW ideas left! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks! I think you may be right about NEW ideas. I'm just waiting to get through this dry spell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default dry spell

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'Sal
I'm frustrated...I always thought I was pretty creative (if the amount of craft supplies I have at home is any indication, I must be very creative!!!), but I'm having trouble thinking of new ideas for designs. It seems that all of my designs are similar. Maybe this is just a "dry spell", but I'd like some reassurance that others go through the "no new ideas" phase as well.
Hello I am finding that now I will be legal in Stampin'Up I find that my idea pool is not so big any more. The last three months I did book work shops to get an idea how do do it all so that when I got in that it would have been easy. Boy am I wrong. Do not feel bad as to I am going to try and check every book-web sites etc to see if I can get back on the idea tract with what I have. We will hang in there. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I think there are new ideas..or at least new twists on old ideas. Try looking in some new places...new web sites, new yahoo groups, new magazines...
Some of the ideas you see may spark something new. In the meantime, don't put pressure on yourself, just try to have fun!
HTH,
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Take the pressure off and play. Find some new inspiration...do you have other hobbies, intests, or experience that you can adapt to stamping? Buy yourself a new toy from a different area of the craft store. Or, buy a new toy to try a technique you have not yet tried. Go on a field trip and make a few notes. Did you find a color combo or design to inspire you? Check out the inspiration challenge her on SCS and let your creativity run wild. Look in other craft/design/art magazines and books and websites. I think we all feel like we do the samething over and over at some point. The trick is not to get down about it. Stretch yourself and grow!
Happy Stamping!
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was really having touble with this too. What worked for me was to gather a ton of card and scrapbook sketches/layouts, print them out and put them in a three ring binder. Now when I want to make something I just go to that and away I go. I don't know why but I can spend hours in the gallery and leave more frusterated than I was when I started. (too many beautiful cards!) So if I start out simple, it's easier for me to be creative. HTH!
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Its not just you. I haven't been able to work on any cards since before Christmas. I just can't think of anything to do and i have a whole scraproom full of supplies and stamps and no clue what to do anymore its like my creativity and ambition went straight out the door. I keep hoping it comes back so just been organizing my scraproom in the meantime. I think I burnt myself out or something...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 461 Likes on 350 Posts

Go through the master list of sketch challenges. Lots of fabulous and unique layouts there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I had same problem...

I too have more supplies than I could ever possibly use. I think having all of those things was stunting my creativity. I was just overwhelmed looking through my things and could not even begin any cards. Well, I have now packed up half of my supplies since I'm getting my house ready to sell, and all of a sudden I have ideas galore! Now I can actually "see" the stuff I have to work with and am excited about creating again. Being forced to work with less has helped me think more creatively.

{My Gallery}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Do you try to daily challenges? Just looking at all the uploads for one challenge reminds me that there are seemingly endless interpretations of a single idea. Lots of creativity there.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Please read all of the responses to my original thread. I've gotten "re-inspired" to use others ideas and tailor them to something that I can do well. I think we can all expect to hit dry spots, but looking around us at samples, cards we got for Christmas from other stampers, and the galleries on this and other websites, can give us the boost we need. I'm feeling more inspired than I have in a long time! Now, since I'm back to teaching as of today, I just have to find the time to play around with the new ideas!

Good luck - don't give up, just re-focus and borrow other's ideas until they spark your own creativity!
Reply With Quote Likes