Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some workshop/class ideas

Hello: I was thinking about putting together some classes as part of our town's community education. I've been told there have been attempts by others and have failed because they charged too much for materials, etc. This will be my first time teaching a class so I wanted to get some ideas and maybe pictures/samples of things you have done for workshops/classes. The classes would probably run for about 2 hours. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated as well.

Also, I live in a small town so most of these folks are not huge in techniques or are familiar with most products out there (at least not yet!). So I am looking for things I can make that doesn't involve too much or require too much. I love to alter things so would love to get ideas on those as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies... :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Bump for some ideas...anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

HI, Alma!
What about the squash (or explosion) books? Everyone I make them for absolutely loves them. Just 2 chipboard coasters, designer paper, and cardstock. If you are brave, you could also tell them to bring a bunch of related, small photos to cut up. LOL... some people can NOT cut up a photo!

hth

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

bump for more ideas...

Thanks Sue (bemidjibelle) for your suggestion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I am trying to find a thread that has some workshop ideas.. ie: Card buffets, stamp a stack are just some I have heard of but have no idea how to organize them... The card buffet I was told about by another Demo and she is really organized but need to get different ideas on different themes... Instructions are very helpful. I too live in a very small farm community and need to get customers to come out so need to peek interest. Thanks ..Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

If people are not familiar with stamping or techniques, you might need to think small. A bookmark could be a safe bet. it would have minmal stamping and a couple of layers of cardstock.

I also suggest stamping on tumbled tiles with StazOn. It is so easy and the results can be beautiful! Beginners would be impressed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

what are tumbled tiles and is there a tutorial on this??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

tumbled tiles come from Lowe's or Home Depot, and you stamp on them, some seal them with acrylic spray, there is a tutorial on here in the techniques forum - lots of threads about them - and they would be inexpensive, and participants would have something useful - a coaster - to take home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

The tumbled tiles I buy come in a box from the tile section at lowe's. they are about $6.00 for a box of 9 tiles. Some of the boxes have some holes or rough patches on them. You can sort the boxes out and pick out the ones you like. Just make sure to repack them and keep 9 in each box.

Here is a link to some I have made: Tumbled Tiles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Thank you ladies for more ideas...tumbled tiles would be an inexpensive way to make something nice and bring home.

BTW, what kind of acrylic sealer do you use to seal the coaster? The first set of coasters I made, I just used 3-4 coats of Mod Podge, tested it out, and it seemed to have worked. But looking for a more potent sealer to make sure that the ink does not bleed.

Bumping back up to the top for more ideas...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I just hosted a fun activity as a fundraiser for a major charity. I think it is an idea you can use for your community education class. I called it "Tag Team Relay", set up 5 tables - each table held all of the supplies to make a different tag. I had an example of the tag on the table. Because we were doing this at work on our lunch hour, I had everyone start by dividing up at the 5 tables. I took a few minutes to explain the process, demonstrated how to stamp, etc. and then started a timer. They had 10 minutes to complete the tag. When the timer went off they moved to the next table to make the next tag, etc. (Rotated everyone clockwise.) Because everyone uses gift tags, it was a popular activity. It also gave everyone an opportunity to try different colors, designs, stamps, and embellishments. I used inexpensive cardstock to make the tags and used my stamps, ink pads, markers and punches. I also used inexpensive embellishments like ribbon and buttons. Everyone paid $3.00 each and went away with 5 tags. Since you have more time for your class, you could have them do more of the preparation. Because my time was limited, I prepared ahead and used my Sizzix to punch out tags and other die cuts.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I meant to tell you that I live in a small town too. The tag team relay was the second event I had held. The first one, was also during the lunch hour, and I taught them how to make two cards. Most people had never made cards before and because I had everything right there for them and showed them how, it helped everyone relax and have a good time. I charged $3.00 for that class too. (It was a charity fundraiser too.) It was a big hit and they all wanted more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I don't use sealant with the tumbled tiles and Stazon, but I have made some with tiles that cost about 32 cents at Lowe's. These are sold individually. they are non pourous so I use an acrylic sealant from Krylon that I bought at Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes