Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need ideas for granddaughters?

I moved across country 6 months ago and now live very far from my two grand daughters, ages 4 and 7. We try to talk on the phone often but want to send them some things I can make to them to keep our communication going. Does anyone have any ideas of paper items to make besides cards. I am trying to think of something that would excite them to want to write me back. I am hoping that I can spur on some memories of their grandma since we won't be able to see each other more than twice a year if we are lucky.

Thanks in advance. Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about circle journals? Usually that is something you do with a group of people where you all do a little layout about the owner's topic (favorite quote, funniest joke you know, etc.)...

You could make one for each of the girls, maybe where you design the page and leave them a space to fill in. Maybe the first page is an all about me page where they (maybe with mom's help) put their name, the date, and some random fun facts about themselves. Then they do that and send it back to grandma, and grandma sends a new sheet. Maybe next time it is "draw me a picture of your family."

You could do it as a journal in advance, or maybe plan for it to go all year and then when you have all the sheets back you could bind them then (sending just the sheets would be less expensive, postage wise, than a whole journal.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
What about circle journals? Usually that is something you do with a group of people where you all do a little layout about the owner's topic (favorite quote, funniest joke you know, etc.)...

You could make one for each of the girls, maybe where you design the page and leave them a space to fill in. Maybe the first page is an all about me page where they (maybe with mom's help) put their name, the date, and some random fun facts about themselves. Then they do that and send it back to grandma, and grandma sends a new sheet. Maybe next time it is "draw me a picture of your family."

You could do it as a journal in advance, or maybe plan for it to go all year and then when you have all the sheets back you could bind them then (sending just the sheets would be less expensive, postage wise, than a whole journal.)
That is a good idea. I will have to run it by my DIL to see if she is willing to help with it.
She isn't to good about mailing me things but it would be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might consider a "family" blog. Give your daughter access to make entries with the girls and they can upload pictures and artwork, etc. You can add little messages to them, share pictures, etc.

If you're not comfortable with having that stuff open to public viewing, you can password protect it so that only those you want to see it can see it.

Also, you can make punch art kits for them. There are tons of punch art projects out there (even a large amount here on SCS!). Punch the pieces out and send them instructions on how to assemble.

I think any little thing you do is going to keep them remembering you. Grandmas can't be forgotten!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

send them pretty stationary with stamped envelopes! They are big enough to put them in the mailbox with the flag up. Just address them so they are ready to go.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this problem with my niece. We use skype to video conference over the internet. If you both have internet access all you need is a webcam and you can talk "live" with your granddaughters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I have this problem with my niece. We use skype to video conference over the internet. If you both have internet access all you need is a webcam and you can talk "live" with your granddaughters.
I agree Skype is wonderful!! My son n law was stationed at Charleston, SC AFB last October and I am in Ohio. My daughter bought me a web cam so I could watch the grandchildren open their Christmas gifts last year. We skype all the time now. I know you will love it because you can see them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I ordered the recordable cards from the SU Holiday Mini, so I can put a photo of me and Grandpa and Aunt Mimi on the cover and when opened, we will say "Grandma LOVES you!" and each member will have a message to say. We hope our little grandson who is far away will listen to it and think of us often.

You could also make pretty stationary sets for the girls and pre-address and pre-stamp some envys in your kits with your address on them. Put mini calendars in the front with a reminder on every month; They could write monthly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

These are great ideas, thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

If it helps, my kids only see one set of grandparents once or twice a year, and with occassional phone calls and care packages, they still feel very loved by them and have great memories of the times that we do get to have together.

My kids just love to get mail period - postcards, cards, care packages, anything. I like the ideas the other posters gave about sending self-addressed stamped envelopes. That would certainly increase the likelihood of something getting mailed back. Another idea is to send bookmarks or little games like wordsearches. Somewhere I saw some kind of card that made a penny spin or slide or something when it was opened - they might enjoy something like that too.

Stamp Revolution

http://stamprevolution.com

More stamps for more people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Maybe you could print off some coloring cards for them that they could color and mail back to you? Add a new box of crayons and they will be thrilled! There are tons of free images on the internet and you can send a holiday themed package (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day etc) several times during the year.

They get mail, you get mail back---a win-win situation!
Reply With Quote Likes