Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Need help deciding if I need a MISTI.....

I don't have a lot of unmounted stamps and only four sets of the photopolymer but, in the future, don't plan to buy any on wood and may unmounts the sets I have. I use my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig a lot and am really intrigued by the mini-MISTI as I only make the standard sized cards or smaller notes etc. Given the difficulties sometimes with the photopolymer not inking super well I'm wondering if this isn't the solution and will appreciate any feedback. Thanks.........Diane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Misti. It has saved many a card allowing me to stamp again. I have had to stamp black images more than once and with the Misti it is always in the same spot no trying to line things up and having to start all over. It is one of those tools that I will never regret spending the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I'm in the minority, but I got a Misti and don't use it much. I got mine as an irregular on sale and was pleased with the price.

It works exactly as everyone says it does, but I've found with the style of card making I do, I don't find it convenient to use. Instead of getting it out and making room for it on my table, I tend to just use my acrylic blocks like I always have. I don't use large background stamps, which I understand it is great for. Most of my stamps are clear, and single images and stamp well using my blocks.

I usually stamp multiple images on a sheet of cardstock, and then cut them out with dies or fussy cut them. I seldom, if ever, stamp directly onto a card front. To use the Misti, I would need to cut my paper beforehand to fit into the Misti, which is an extra step.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Love my MISTI!

Sometimes the acrylic stamps don't take the ink well (it ends up splotchy). When I use my MISTI, I can restamp as many times as I need to get a good image.

Plus, I know my sentiment will be straight when I stamp it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

If you need help doing any of the following, buying a MISTI is a no-brainer:

1. Re-stamping to get good coverage or a good image.
2. Stamping your sentiments straight.
3. Centering your stamping on diecuts.
4. Making multiples of cards.
5. Stamping an image repeatedly on your card front to get an ombre look.
6. Multi-step stamping.
7. Needing to re-stamp your image after using wax-based colored pencils.

MISTI is an invaluable tool I have in my stamping arsenal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sadly, like Bugga in OK, I don't use my Misti much, I bought it a year ago? and I probably used it 5 times. I have wood/photopolymer/clear stamps and I just don't seem to be using MISTI at all when I stamp. Haven't had any issues without it (repeating or have it slightly crooked, oh well, it's handmade)... so I guess it's a waste of my money for me....it's just be sitting there on my shelves :(

BUT for 90% of the ladies, they all loved it.
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsp245View Post
sadly, like Bugga in OK, I don't use my Misti much, I bought it a year ago? and I probably used it 5 times. I have wood/photopolymer/clear stamps and I just don't seem to be using MISTI at all when I stamp. Haven't had any issues without it (repeating or have it slightly crooked, oh well, it's handmade)... so I guess it's a waste of my money for me....it's just be sitting there on my shelves :(

BUT for 90% of the ladies, they all loved it.
Glad to know I'm not the only one - One size does not fit all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

I love my Misti and I think I am a better stamper because of it. It does, however, depend on what kind of stamping you do. I often want to stamp over a painted surface so using my Misti is the way to go. I can repeatedly stamp my sentiment or image and line it up perfectly every time.
I am even thinking of unmounted some of my wood block stamps so that I can use them more easily in my Misti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't use my MISTI much when I first got it but after throwing out so many poorly stamped images I started using it and now I use it all the time. Age and arthritis caught up with me and I found that when I didn't use the MISTI the images weren't sharp and trying to line them up with my acrylic blocks never worked; with the MISTI all of these problems were solved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you regularly use your Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, you'll probably find you'll love the MISTI if you choose to unmount your wood block stamps.

I have a Fiskars stamp press and while I like it, I tend to reach for my acrylic block just because it's faster and takes up less space. So, I fear that if I invest the $60, $80 or whatever it costs these days to get one with shipping, that I'll end up using it as a book end just as a couple others have done.

That said, now and then I think, "darn, it would be nice to have one of those acrylic boxes stamping things." If I do get one, I'll probably go with the teal model from another vendor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
If you need help doing any of the following, buying a MISTI is a no-brainer:

1. Re-stamping to get good coverage or a good image.
2. Stamping your sentiments straight.
3. Centering your stamping on diecuts.
4. Making multiples of cards.
5. Stamping an image repeatedly on your card front to get an ombre look.
6. Multi-step stamping.
7. Needing to re-stamp your image after using wax-based colored pencils.

MISTI is an invaluable tool I have in my stamping arsenal.
I think this is a great summary of its strengths. It is quite an expensive tool, and it's not perfect, but I have found that it takes a lot of the annoyance out of lining things up and getting things straight, which for me makes it worthwhile.

But if you are one of those fortunate stampers who can over-stamp with an acrylic block and get it lined up perfectly, you probably don't need it :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

While I agree with everyone who uses the MISTI for general card-making and getting things straight and even coverage and all the rest of it, my main argument for getting one is if you are an organizational freak who rearranges their stamp storage and/or is constantly purging and therefore needs to re-stamp index cards for whatever the latest/greatest hare-brained idea that floated through happened to be...yes - that would be me...

MISTI has saved me countless hours and much frustration, because I can organize the stamps the latest way that's making me happy, stick the entire carrier sheet to the lid of the MISTI and stamp every image at once on the index card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just finished unmounting over 500 sets of wood mount stamps specifically to be able to use them in the misti. I ordered more dvd cases to put ODBD and GINA K sets in because if the are all out where I can see them and alphabetically placed I will use all of them more especially in the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

And you should see how awesome Amber's room (which was already awesome) looks with all of those uniform cases on the shelves... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I got a Misti and don't use it much. I got mine as an irregular on sale and was pleased with the price.

It works exactly as everyone says it does, but I've found with the style of card making I do, I don't find it convenient to use. Instead of getting it out and making room for it on my table, I tend to just use my acrylic blocks like I always have. I don't use large background stamps, which I understand it is great for. Most of my stamps are clear, and single images and stamp well using my blocks.

I usually stamp multiple images on a sheet of cardstock, and then cut them out with dies or fussy cut them. I seldom, if ever, stamp directly onto a card front. To use the Misti, I would need to cut my paper beforehand to fit into the Misti, which is an extra step.

I too am in the minority-for all the reasons above. I've too many wood block stamps and I'm not ready to remove them from the wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I got the MISTI mainly because there was nothing more frustrating than wasting cardstock over a poorly stamped image, especially if it's already mounted to the card base. With the MISTI I get a second chance... and a third.

I also make multiples (why make 1 in an hour when you can make 6 in an hour and 15 minutes). Having the MISTI just makes the process more efficient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I put off purchasing the MISTI for over 6 months because I couldn't rationalize spending that much money on a stamping tool. When I had some extra cash, I bit the bullet and ordered one. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I went from stamping and card making every once in a while to almost every day. MISTI has totally changed the way I stamp. I have been so much more creative since it arrived.

I say, if you have the money to spend, go for it! You won't regret it, I promise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

a lot of tools are over hyped. they cost too much and end up collecting dust.

but the MISTI is worth every dime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too am in the minority- I have had mine for about a year and have used it twice. Too much trouble to dig it out when I can just use a block that is sitting right there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I find my Misti is wonderful for lining up multiple step stamps. You stamp the first layer and then just lay the second (and third, etc) layer over the image, adjusting it until it's perfect, then close the lid to pick up the stamp, ink and stamp! Perfectly lined up!

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have one. The high price, multiple reports of it cracking, and the many reports I've heard on Facebook about less than pleasant customer service have made me hesitant. However I think I still make very nice cards. I use the Fishers stamp press and it works well for me. I also use a similar tool I made myself with an SU case and some fun foam that works well. I think it's a personal choice. If you make a lot of the same design for invites or Christmas cards, it's probably a good investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I use mine all the time because I'm challenged. Not medically - just mentally? I can't stamp well and was tossing badly stamped images. So it saved me frustration on that level.

But I also like that I can stamp several items exactly the same so I can batch process multiples of a card.

I own the stamp-a-majig. It works great. I'm too lazy to get it out and always seem to be in search of a clean sheet of acetate to create the positioning lay out. But this tool works just as well if you are not into creating the exact same card over and over.

To be honest, I don't stamp without this thing. If I had thought about it more... I would have made my own tool with an altered box from Harbor Freight and foam pads or a DVD case. I am not creative that way so I bought the Misti.

I always tell people if you gag on the price, go to You Tube and watch videos on how other people have made their 'positioning tool' out of what they had and see if you don't already have the items needed to make one. Once you make one and use it, you will become addicted to it. Whether it's the Misti, your own version, or the other brands of this idea that are coming out. I highly recommend you make your own so you realize all the potential a tool like this has.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Call me a lazy or sloppy stamper, but I just don't care enough about getting an image totally cleanly stamped or a sentiment stamped straight to purchase a MISTI. Now, I might get one for the group of women I stamp with each month because it really bothers them when things aren't very straight or cleanly stamped. But me, I just stamp it and hope for the best. If it is a bit off, I carry on with the card/project anyways and it doesn't bother me at all. Because of that, I know a MISTI isn't worth the price to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Call me a lazy or sloppy stamper, but I just don't care enough about getting an image totally cleanly stamped or a sentiment stamped straight to purchase a MISTI. Now, I might get one for the group of women I stamp with each month because it really bothers them when things aren't very straight or cleanly stamped. But me, I just stamp it and hope for the best. If it is a bit off, I carry on with the card/project anyways and it doesn't bother me at all. Because of that, I know a MISTI isn't worth the price to me.
I don't think we are lazy or sloppy, cnsteele. Let's call ourselves "laid back."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 06:30 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bit the bullet and bought one a few months ago. I don't always use it because many of my stamps are wood mounted, and sometimes the design I choose is easier with a block. That said, I love it so much when I use it that I've decided to unmount almost all my wood stamps. I can't wait to stamp my first index sheet at once with my Misti. Talk about a time saver!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I am glad I found this thread. I have been intrigued by Misti since I first saw it. But it is too expensive for one stamping tool. I always try to convince myself out of it but its difficult!
I have never used it but do realise its absence often esp when I waste cardstock or don't stamp my sentiments in straight line. I am one of those who need the sentiment to be straight and never able to achieve it. Lately I have started outlining with pencil before stamping the sentiment and thats no fun.
But...I would rather get alot of supplies that one tool at this stage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
I am glad I found this thread. I have been intrigued by Misti since I first saw it. But it is too expensive for one stamping tool. I always try to convince myself out of it but its difficult!
I have never used it but do realise its absence often esp when I waste cardstock or don't stamp my sentiments in straight line. I am one of those who need the sentiment to be straight and never able to achieve it. Lately I have started outlining with pencil before stamping the sentiment and thats no fun.
But...I would rather get alot of supplies that one tool at this stage.
I will say that, for me, it was better to spend on a tool that helps me use my stash better than getting more stash that I can't use properly. I would say 99% of the time my stamps did not stamp cleanly And that was so aggravating to me. Now, I can actually identify a place on my card front where I want the greeting to go, and don't have to worry about messing the whole front up if I mess the stamping up.

There are smaller sizes of the tool now, and knockoffs as well that are cheaper which makes it much easier to justify :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I will say that, for me, it was better to spend on a tool that helps me use my stash better than getting more stash that I can't use properly. I would say 99% of the time my stamps did not stamp cleanly And that was so aggravating to me. Now, I can actually identify a place on my card front where I want the greeting to go, and don't have to worry about messing the whole front up if I mess the stamping up.

There are smaller sizes of the tool now, and knockoffs as well that are cheaper which makes it much easier to justify :grin:
Did you just say knockoff for Misti?!
I am totally on your side with its uses. But right now as a beginner I feel I would rather spend on basic things like ink and color mediums rather than on one tool. If I can get it for an affordable price I will buy it without thinking twice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Yesterday my son ordered me a Stampoholic. I went with the standard size since the smaller version is too small for my Julie Nutting prima doll stamps. I just hope that I'll stamp enough to make his purchase worth it.

With all the hype on this board, of course I've been wanting one. I kept planning to make my own using polycarbonate instead of acrylic, but never got around to stopping by the window store to find out what it would cost to buy the material and have them cut it to size. If I love my tool as much as everyone else seems to love theirs, maybe I'll make a large size to fit a 12x12 scrapbook page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgrannyView Post
I too am in the minority- I have had mine for about a year and have used it twice. Too much trouble to dig it out when I can just use a block that is sitting right there.
I fear this will be me!
I'm already a lazy stamper. Pull out the stamp, pull out the ink pad, clean it all off, put it away --- wait, I don't do that last step. I just noticed all my used stamps are piling up in a box next to my chair!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I purchased my MISTI when she had a sale last Fourth of July. I didn't use mine for a few months but now I use it more. I attend swaps and this tool makes stamping multiples so easy...especially if I want to stamp the image several times to be sure it's solid/dark enough.

I recommend the original size and I do make A2 sized cards. Sometimes I put two stamps in different areas of the MISTI so I can stamp multiple colors/images just by moving my card.

Today I shopped at a LSS and a friend had me get one for her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have just finished unmounting over 500 sets of wood mount stamps specifically to be able to use them in the misti. I ordered more dvd cases to put ODBD and GINA K sets in because if the are all out where I can see them and alphabetically placed I will use all of them more especially in the MISTI.
Can I hire you??

;)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I bought my MISTI over a year ago, because my weak hands often struggle in getting a good clean image. Being able to stamp in the same spot is helpful. I'll be honest that I didn't use it a lot at first. Not sure why. One reason is I do have a lot of wood mount stamps that still rank among my favorites.

But when I started making multiples of Christmas cards with lined images, the MISTI became my friend. I use it more now, plus I am exploring new techniques that have to do with stamp placement, like the radial symmetry challenge for Virtual Stamp Night. Watching some videos has helped me see that the MISTI isn't just about stamp accuracy, it is about CREATIVITY. I never got the hang of my stamp-a-ma-jig, and so it sits idle. the MISTI is so much more user and space friendly (flat!) in my opinion.

It is an investment, no doubt. You have to evaluate your style of stamping and your storage space. But I give mine a thumbs up!
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Kim...I used to be your neighbor.....well at least

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post
Can I hire you??

;)
In the same state. I lived in Rockford IL til I moved to Las Vegas almost 13 years ago. I wish I could help you, I got this unmounting thing down good now. I love the space that I have recoved from all those large plastic boxes sitting on shelves and in drawers.

Its well worth the expense and time invested. Stampin Up stamps are the easiest ones to unmount.

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw this video https://m. and my sweet hubby helped me make it (I did the measurements, he did the riveting and hinge attaching) and made my own for probably $20ish. Got the acrylic cut at Lowe's, where I bought it. I love it, even if it isn't as pretty as the original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I have only seen the Misti in real life once and seen a couple you tubes on it so I am not really familiar with the Misti. I was given a Fisters stamp press so I have that and somewhat familiar with that. My question may be people that have the Misti and the Fiskers stamp press what are the biggest differences. I have been stamping for over 10 years and have seen the trends come and go. I am afraid to invest in something I might not use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by margiesueView Post
I have only seen the Misti in real life once and seen a couple you tubes on it so I am not really familiar with the Misti. I was given a Fisters stamp press so I have that and somewhat familiar with that. My question may be people that have the Misti and the Fiskers stamp press what are the biggest differences. I have been stamping for over 10 years and have seen the trends come and go. I am afraid to invest in something I might not use.
The Misti over-stamps in the exact same place. Never been able to do that with the stamp press or an acrylic block, though some people manage to do it quite accurately.

So if you can use the stamp press and get a good solid impression the first time, or ink up the stamp again and land in the exact same place, you may not need the Misti. I think I've been able to do that like twice in 10 years of stamping :rolleyes: so for me, the Misti is invaluable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by margiesueView Post
I think whether you love and use the Misti a lot depends on the kind of stamping you typically do.

If you use lots of sentiment stamps, and it's important to you that they be lined up perfectly straight - the Misti is for you. Also if you stamp multiples of the same image, and want to have the image on the same place on each card.

If you have larger, detailed images, or background type stamps that you have trouble getting even coverage with, the Misti will fix that. You can re-ink, and stamp again in precisely the same place to get coverage.

I have a stamp press, and used it sometimes. The Misti operates on the same principle as the Stamp Press, but it is much more accurate. You can stamp again and again in the exact same spot with the Misti if you need to. The stamp press has much more "wiggle" to it.

I debated about getting the Misti, and bought one for about $35 when there was a sale on irregular Misti's. The irregularity was strictly cosmetic, and did not affect the performance, so I'm happy.

I don't use mine as much as lots of folks do, but when I have a need for it, I'm glad I got it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:04 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Here is an easy way to decide: Do you stamp? If the answer is YES, then YES you need a misti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
a lot of tools are over hyped. they cost too much and end up collecting dust.

but the MISTI is worth every dime.
Yes, I agree!

I love the MISTIi even more than I thought I would.....when I need to stamp a bunch of the same stamp (like heartfelt creations flowers) it is just so handy to be able to stamp again if I didn't get a good image the first time! This has saved me alot of time and paper.
Reply With Quote Likes