Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Need Help

I know you will all laugh at this - but its not so funny to me right now. I've been so busy making cards for my swaps, making items for a craft sale (my first selling paper crafts), making family gifts etc -- and I totally forgot to make my Christmas cards!!! Now I'm stuck either making 100 cards this weekend - then rushing to write them and mail them out -- or just plain buying cards from the store :(

Anyone have a very simple (but classy) card that can be made quickly and in quantity without breaking the bank?
~Louise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 685 Likes on 386 Posts

Oops! Check out the Clean and Simple gallery. There are some soooooo simple but very pretty Christmas cards there. I'm sure I would just send store bought cards if I got in this situation. Too much pressure.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These go together quickly--just add your favorite Christmas sentiment. A touch of glitter never hurts, either ;).

If you don't have SU's Baroque Motifs, any large flourish would work with a small snowflake, pinecone or poinsettia-type flower, maybe even a star. . . .

Good luck--be sure to save one to share; we'd love to see what you decide on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't show you an example, but I would recommend something very simple using 3 colors of papers (all solids) and 1 or 2 stamped images.

Using colors like a shade of red, green, and a metallic color chossing one of these as the base. Stamp 1 image on each card and a simple X-Mas greeting on the front.
Layer the greeting with pop-dots and use a very pretty image that you don't need to color in or anything. Then do the cards idental.

Even though I hate doing the same card over and over and really only tryed it once, that cards can be done bery quickly this way.

This is just a suggestion, and personally I can feel your fustration.
No need for loads of embellishments or time consuming techniques.

Just Simple and Elegant.

sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

This card goes together very fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #6  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

If it was me, I'd go with store bought - no need adding more stress to life. I used to be the one up til all hours and even finishing things up on Christmas eve - came to realize that it's just not worth it. Folks still aprreciate the things I make but also enjoy those that I've purchased and they have a happier, less stressed me to be with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Default Thanks

Thanks to all of you who replied so quickly. After work today I'll try making one of the simple cards you all recommended - if I find that even that is going to be too much (I'm away all this weekend with a group of teens at a winter retreat), then I'll opt to buy them tomrrow and write them all on Thur & Fri. Keep the suggestions coming though. You never know who else needs super simple cards in a hurry. LOL

This group is really great about helping each other out. I DO appreciate each and every post I read.

Blessings to you all.
~Louise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSView Post
If it was me, I'd go with store bought - no need adding more stress to life. I used to be the one up til all hours and even finishing things up on Christmas eve - came to realize that it's just not worth it. Folks still aprreciate the things I make but also enjoy those that I've purchased and they have a happier, less stressed me to be with.
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I have store bought cards for this year. I just couldn't get in the mood to sit still and make cards this year. Or gifts, for that matter. Most everyone is getting gift cards this year. About the only things handmade this year are lotion and chocolate Christmas cakes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

You know, I just decided to buy cards for "those" family and friends that we only keep in touch with during the holidays. Chances are these people don't even know I make cards, so no harm done:p Know What I Mean!!!

Any Way, make it easier on yourself, why stress on making all these cards. Just make for your hubby and kids-They are the ones that count!!!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #10  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

How about this one

Limelight Sketch by hobbywoman at Splitcoaststampers

just ommit the chipboard, would still look good, and cheap to mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbywomanView Post
How about this one

Limelight Sketch by hobbywoman at Splitcoaststampers

just ommit the chipboard, would still look good, and cheap to mail!
I *really* love this one of yours too. So classy!

CAS40 by hobbywoman at Splitcoaststampers

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I put 50 of these together for a company for about $40 in supplies...

I had some "help" (DH) with the cutting of the nestie shapes, but otherwise it was a quick card to put together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the 'Christmas Greetings' stamp set from SU. It has the greeting and words to stamp inside the card. If you don't have that particular set, you could stamp a holiday greeting from a stamp you have in your choice of holiday colors, maybe do some score lines, stamp a saying on the inside or write something and then you'd be done. If you want, you can add some bling - stickles, rhinestones, glitter pens, etc.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

My Christmas mouse card was really simple and cute and easy to reproduce a lot of

Check out my blog! www.sunfaeriecreations.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
Oops! Check out the Clean and Simple gallery. There are some soooooo simple but very pretty Christmas cards there. I'm sure I would just send store bought cards if I got in this situation. Too much pressure.
I've looked for the Clean and Simple gallery several times, but I can't find it! Where is it at in the gallery area?

And thanks for this thread, Louise. I love the ideas I'm seeing. Here are a couple of CAS favorites that would be easy to recreate but are GORGEOUS:

'Tis the Season - CCC09 November by ceedee at Splitcoaststampers

Simple Xmas card by Paperella at Splitcoaststampers

Snowy Crystals by k dunbrook at Splitcoaststampers

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do 100 Christmas cards in bulk - if I had left it til this point to start I would do plenty on the computer - there are links about ink settings to match different cardstocks and other inks of some manufacturer on SCS somewhere.

In fact I tend to do my sentiments and greetings by computer at Christmas and just stamp my image, color it in and this year I am adding patterned paper.

(and yes I am really bad and type out the yearly update and all our names like cards you can order- though I do still tend to sign them)

Last edited by RiverIsis; 12-08-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintagechickView Post
I've looked for the Clean and Simple gallery several times, but I can't find it! Where is it at in the gallery area?
you go to the gallery and search "CAS".. it will bring up all the cards with the keyword CAS (Clean and Simple)..

here it is
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Have you given any thought to skipping the Christmas cards and sending New Year's ones instead? I started doing this a few years ago. It's nice to have time after the holiday craziness has passed to work on cards. I enjoy it much more and friends have commented that they like receiving something special after the holidays.

Kim/SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #19  
kt3
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmiegView Post
Have you given any thought to skipping the Christmas cards and sending New Year's ones instead? I started doing this a few years ago. It's nice to have time after the holiday craziness has passed to work on cards. I enjoy it much more and friends have commented that they like receiving something special after the holidays.

Kim/SC
I did this one year, too, and I think it was still nice. I've received a few others like this too & you're right, it was nice to get a special piece of mail... not just bills!... after the holidays

I'm going about 1/3 homemade and 2/3 purchased from a store this year. The really close family & friends get homemade, the more distant relatives, etc. get the ones from the store. On a few of the store cards I did quickly add a few stamped snowflakes, etc. to the envelope to make it a little more unique... seemed like a fine compromise. There are too many other things to worry about in life, no need to stress about Christmas cards in my opinion.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Kim/SC
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and opted for Valentine's cards in place of Christmas cards (I had even more time to write them). I'm doing it again this year, except for a handful of older relatives, and they're getting store bought Christmas cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Technically, Christmas-tide goes through Epiphany--so, in my book, if the three kings didn't get there 'til Jan. 6, it's okay if Christmas cards don't arrive until then either.

Anything after that, I'd send a Chinese New Year card. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I put 50 of these together for a company for about $40 in supplies...

I had some "help" (DH) with the cutting of the nestie shapes, but otherwise it was a quick card to put together!

aw shucks, i wish i saw your card last week before i did my batch cutting and folding of blanks for my x-mas cards. i love your card!!!!!!!!!
i am also behind on my cards-go to school part time, final exam tomorrow and i have a 4 year old & 4 month old. ACK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Have you given any thought to skipping the Christmas cards and sending New Year's ones instead? Kim/SC
I really like the idea of sending the cards after Christmas so people continue to get mail. The thought of New Years, Valentines Day, and even Epithany are all great. As a Christian, I do like spreading the gospel at Christmas - but I have a great three kings stamp so sending Epithany cards (still the Christmas message) really does seem like it might work for me. I have the whole week between Christmas and New Year's off from work (except for one day) so... that might be the perfect time to put together my Epithany cards if I plan them out ahead of time. Thank you all for your suggestions.

The good news is that my shopping is done. My tree is up and beautiful. The church Sunday School program is over... and now all I have to do is go on a weekend retreat with the Sr. High (at our church) and get watch my husband, my sons and my d-i-l do their solos and special music for our Candlelight Cantata. Yeah! And of course - enjoy the holidays.
~Louise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
you go to the gallery and search "CAS".. it will bring up all the cards with the keyword CAS (Clean and Simple)..

here it is
OH! I was looking for a gallery labeled "The CAS Gallery". Silly me.:oops:

I sent Valentine's cards one year instead of Christmas cards. My friends liked them. My mother thought it was terrible, but she disapproves of a lot of things...

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi everyone...just a thought for those of you who might be interested...I am "hosting" the Christmas Card Challenge for 2010. Doing a few cards each month might help each of us be better prepared for the holidays...just an FYI and an invite to come on over and join me! smiles and I hope everyone has a great Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Talking BTW

BTW, if my hints were as effective as I think they were, a Cricuit expression may just be under my Christmas tree from DH. That would certainly make doing a bunch of cards after Christmas more fun and a whole lot easier. <g>
~Louise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldumont999View Post
BTW, if my hints were as effective as I think they were, a Cricuit expression may just be under my Christmas tree from DH. That would certainly make doing a bunch of cards after Christmas more fun and a whole lot easier. <g>
~Louise
ohhhh! how wonderful that would be! best wishes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

~Louise
LOL! I was going to ask if you had one when I posted earlier! :mrgreen: I remember there was a lady last year who was behind and 8.5 months pregnant etc. and she had posted a beautiful Cricut card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollylogicView Post
Technically, Christmas-tide goes through Epiphany--so, in my book, if the three kings didn't get there 'til Jan. 6, it's okay if Christmas cards don't arrive until then either.

Someone needs to make a stamp with a sentiment that says something like that!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Maybe something like

Christmas--it ain't over 'til the kings arrive

?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

I like this logic, hollylogic! LOL How nice it would be to send a Three Kings card too! My mother always hung the first Three Kings card she received above the doorway....does anyone else do that?

Here's a nice, quick card I spotted earlier today...

red and olive swirled by Chris in Memphis at Splitcoaststampers

...I was looking for ideas....I haven't started mine yet either! Last year I made 40 in one swoop on the 21st and mailed them on the 22nd....still on time! There's just so much to do this time of year...don't beat yourself up over it, and take time to enjoy and reflect on the season. (wish I had some eggnog right now......)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm so tired of people rushing through Christmas... Christmas is that time between Christmas Day and Epiphany and should be enjoyed as such. I know when I lived in England we pretty much entertained or went out with friends/family every day for at least the week after Christmas (we didn't quite sustain it until the 12th night but it felt so much less commercial than buy everything and gorge on Christmas Day and that's it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Maybe something like

Christmas--it ain't over 'til the kings arrive

?
PERFECT! OK, stamp companies, are you listening? I'd love one like that.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I'm so tired of people rushing through Christmas... Christmas is that time between Christmas Day and Epiphany and should be enjoyed as such. I know when I lived in England we pretty much entertained or went out with friends/family every day for at least the week after Christmas (we didn't quite sustain it until the 12th night but it felt so much less commercial than buy everything and gorge on Christmas Day and that's it.
I like this idea. I confess: I'm one of those people that takes her decorations down ASAP after Christmas is over. I think I'm going to keep them up a little longer this year and savor this wonderful time.

Thanks!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Just call me the thread hog here...

I haven't finished mine yet. My DH has Guard drill this weekend, so I won't have him home finding "projects" for me. ;) I'm going to finish my cards then. And, we might get a little snow this weekend. Nothing puts me in a Christmas spirit more than that.

Breathe. Slow down. Enjoy the moment.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
LOL, we light our outside lights every night from Thanksgiving night to Epiphany night.

DH gets a little embarrassed that we're the last ones with lights on, but I'm like, tough--if God wanted us to take our lights down earlier, He would have had the kings ride in on cheetahs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I wouldn't stress...tis not the time for stressing.....I have looked at all the suggestions here and many are pretty doable, I reckon....

But if push comes to shove....to the shop bought ones....a good percentage of people won't notice anyway!

My friend Cheryll, has been stressed out with work, busy with a new romance, and travelling o/s in the last couple of months...so when my BIG birthday came around in November, I was given a store bought card which had....this is just an interim one until I can get organised!....written neatly on the envy...

Now that did garner a smile or two!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Talking 3 Kings Notation

Just a little side note. If we are being accurate, the kings (and there were not necessarily three of them, that is just tradition because of the three gifts mentioned - gold myrrh & frankincense) didn't come for nearly two years. Yes, Jesus was a toddler when they arrived. So.... does that mean I have two years to send my Epiphany cards?
~Louise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Just a little side note. If we are being accurate, the kings (and there were not necessarily three of them, that is just tradition because of the three gifts mentioned - gold myrrh & frankincense) didn't come for nearly two years. Yes, Jesus was a toddler when they arrived. So.... does that mean I have two years to send my Epiphany cards?
~Louise
:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Talking Right Back At Ya RiverIris

Quote:

~Louise
Thought some of you would enjoy this... lol
~Louise
Gotta keep laughing...
Reply With Quote Likes