Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice or sympathy

I have worn contact lenses and have not had glasses for 32 years.
This week I nad to start wearing glasses --graduated lenses--for two weeks before an eye evaluation for surgery.
Everything is slanted including the grid I've tried to use.
Tell me it gets better please. I have lost my perspective, mojo, and joy of card making. I need to send an apology with every card. I have new respect for good eyessight-- just saying.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been crafting with a cataract, and some blurry vision due to a condition I have. It is possible to craft, by making some adjustments! I have found that I just have to get used to how I see, and make corrections for it.

For instance, things that I glue or stamp are usually weighted to one side or the other, rarely centered on the first go. I try to do designs that are more random and less dependent on exact measurements. I have tried to develop more patience :-) I refuse to let it steal my joy. Best of luck on the surgery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I can give you sympathy - are you working with progressives? I can tell you it DOES get better but you have to learn where to point your head. OR - do what I do and take your glasses off if you can still see at the desktop level. I normally color with my glasses off for sure.

But I do do some crafting with my progressives - it just takes practice. There's hope. And I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

What encouraging and sweet replies. Took three hours to make two simple cards today. Felt rather down. You have lifted my spirits. You gals are the best. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I returned my first pair of progressive lens. On top of the slanted perspective, they made me busy. My optometrist had me try Varilux and I love them. Recently, I was talked into trying digital lenses. Those gave me a headache and were returned. Back to the Varilux! Here's a website that has a find a provider Progressive Lenses | Natural and Sharp Vision | Varilux Lenses

Good luck, hope things improve quickly!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear progressive lenses, can't wear contacts, and have to color with my glasses on to see! I do find I take breaks and come back to what I'm doing to give my eyes a break. As I'm getting older, never thought if it was a vision thing, or just an age thing of working on my card, breaking, and coming back to it. I do find I can't intently work at something for long periods of time, whether it's my eyes or concentration, or physically getting up and moving around. But a short break and coming back to it easily helps me refocus and get back into my creative mode.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Hope things keep getting better for you.
Along with my progressive lens glasses, I also have a pair of prescription reading glasses (just the "close" vision prescription). I prefer to use those when I'm reading or crafting or other close work instead of the progressive lens pair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

Sorry for your issues. I have progressives but I find I am always taking off my glasses doing close work as in putting bling on a card etc. I am myopic which means I can see really good up close. But only up close. I am blind as a bat otherwise. I tried contacts years ago, but even 75% water contact lenses made my eyes look like I had been on a bender. I find progressives are a pain and I lift my glass frames up a lot when reading something too. Such are the joys of being older. I also had a pair of "computer" glasses made years ago. I take off my progressives and wear those when I am at the computer. They are just for the distance I am sitting from the screen and reading something beside the computer. I am much happier with those than wearing my progressives at the computer. I do feel your pain. Hang in there.

Hugs,
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 740 Likes on 360 Posts

I am thinking that I want to get one of those swing arm lamps that have a magnifier in the middle-they are highly adjustable, and screw clamp onto the edge of your table.

I am not in progressives. I might be. I am waiting to get glasses. They have trouble rating my eyes-they are very dry. So I have to use fake tears 4x a day for a good month and then go back. I am using cheaters-the strongest there are but they are not really good enough but I cant read without them. My last script gave me headaches.

I have to say, fake tears make my eyes SO happy. I am suprised I havent become a junkie for them. I do see better after using them. I think a lot of us dont realize how dry our eyes are. My eye docs have been saying since I was 40 to use them several times a day to relieve eye strain and for general eye health. Oddly I keep forgetting to use them, and then I do and it's like AHHHH. I highly recommend them to everyone, esp if you do a lot of close work.

DH has progressives and he said the first bit was hard but he adjusted and now is fine. Just be really careful with stairs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 384 Likes on 208 Posts

I use to wear contacts and now wear progressives. Ditto to most everyone's comments. It takes some getting use to. I still find myself taking my glasses off for some tasks - coloring, aligning layers and embellishments. Making cards I try to sit, but find I mostly stand because I move my head a lot to bring the card in focus.
Lately, I have had pain in my wrists and sometimes my fingers - thinking this must be the beginning of arthritis. Oh, the joys of getting older! (and I'm not even retirement age yet!) lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know how you feel. I bought my first pair of contacts 35 years ago at the age of 17. I had just started my first part time job and I was so excited. They cost me 300.00 and took me 6 weeks to save up for them. Up until that point I had to wear what I call " Coke Bottle Glasses" because my glasses were so thick and heavy. I couldn't pick out any pretty or stylish frames that my lenses would fit into and I hated them. Currently I only wear my glasses if I have to find the bathroom in the middle of the night...or if I'm doing precise craft work where I can take them off to see things crisp, clear and up close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I need reading glasses, but did not not buy progressive or bifocal lenses for my glasses. And I have gotten very lazy about putting my contacts in; it's much easier to put my glasses on!

So, when I am in my studio, I put a pair of reading glasses on over my regular glasses Hey, I live alone, so I can do what I want, right? lol When I am at my stamping friend's house, I'll take my glasses off for coloring or other "close up" work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I concur! I have a degenerative corneal eye condition ( and approaching the magical age for reading glasses ;) ) and was talked into progressives. I discovered I can only use the reader part very occasionally. The DO help me see my car dash and the debit machines at the checkout, but only seeing the "middle" of the line you are reading, that isn't good for artwork or crafting and it is tiresome on the neck for reading ;). But I rely on my reading glasses to read, do PC work and crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

With 'progressives' or Varilux lenses its very important to have them measured very carefully so you are looking through the correct part of the lens.

I had a pair where I had to have my head tilted back all the time in order to focus! My optician remade them with the same prescription but with the middle of the lens further up in the frame and what a difference it made. You should hardly have to move your head at all to find the focus.

Hope that makes sense. Difficult to describe!

My optician told me that you will never see as well with glasses as you do in contact lenses and also that for some prescriptions you will always see close up things better with your glasses off. :(

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried progressive glasses a few years ago but couldn't stand them. I took them back and got regular "old lady glasses". (Trifocals). I can see far, inbetween, and close without putting on or taking off my glasses.

I really don't care that there are lines, most people I know don't see that well anyway so they don't notice!

The problem I do have is back issues from sitting at my craft table. My chair is probably not the best but I tend to get on a roll and sit there for a couple of hours making cards. I'm hunched over coloring, trying to glue things straight, adding bling, etc. Next thing I know SPASMS! Take a muscle relaxer, fall asleep! Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As the daughter of an Optician I can tell you that there is a period of adjustment where things seem to slant away from or towards you. Even a prescription change can give you that feeling temporarily but once your eyes adjust to the change everything gets better and you perspective will correct itself. The first time is always the hardest to "get over" but the world will not always be slanted, promise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

OMG - how timely is this discussion! I just had successful cataract removal surgery on Thursday and am typing away now. I hope the healing continues so I can have the other eye done in early December.
Prior to this, I wore the thick glasses, the slender glasses, the cataracts, and then my myopic prescription included no line bifocals, which were very helpful for reading at some distance, but got removed for reading in bed and some crafting requiring alignment. I have no recall of good vision in my life, but when I read that chart at 20/20, WOWIE! I was bursting at the seams. I will probably need the readers for close work, but I simply cannot be more excited now, especially after all the fears.
Funny thing, I was listening through the surgery, heard something like a sewing machine and he said it was a correct noise. Then I told him he had the plastic or polymer lens implant getting set, and he corrected my term but agreed! Then I told him he was sanding and buffing, and he agreed. I don't think he had a patient as mentally alert and communicative as I was. All from being a crafter!!! I even had Halloween socks ready in case my feet got cold! Since I was on that short-term anesthetic and it was soon to be Halloween, I thought the background music would have been "Thriller" but no - Band on the Run. He needs a change of music for my next surgery! Of course, he may just tape my mouth shut...
estamps, I hope your vision issues correct themselves soon. Our crafting gives so much pleasure and relaxation. Missing that was a serious concern of mine. Besides, you can probably tell that like my work sometimes could be described, I am a little "off!" Hope to be posting soon! Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:26 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

Congrats Diane on your successful cataract surgery! Glad it was such a positive experience. Thanks for posting this as down the road I too may need this.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #19  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

sending sympathy your way! I understand the frustration in getting your card making right with changes in your eyesight.
I have worn glasses almost all my life. Every single year my prescription got stronger. I never could wear contacts (just about passed out just trying them on) so have always stuck with glasses.
As I reach middle age I now have two pair of glasses…bifocals and single lens. I cannot wear progressives as I get motion sickness very easily so I ruled those lenses out. So I went with single line/traditional bifocals. I can only wear them when I read or craft. If I get up and walk around my motion sickness kicks in. I do take them off when I am coloring or doing fine detail/up close work on my cards.

It is frustrating losing your vision. But I do thank God that we live in the era that we do as there are many options to correct bad/failing vision.
I have always cherished my eyesight. Maybe because it has been bad all along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 266 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Give me the line!

I'm with Dorie95. I have worn glasses since before I turned 3, and have had bifocals for 55 years (! -- since high school) and always with a line. I tried the progressives once and was way beyond dizzy and disoriented. It sounds like estamps, the OP, is at the stage of having to find what works personally. It isn't fun in the process, that's for sure. Best of luck with the surgery and finding the right combination of aids to continue stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

estamps...If your problem continues for more than a week, go back to your eye doctor.
I had a check up with my Optometrist and was given a new prescription. His office didn't have any frames I liked, so I went to the mall store. Got my new glasses (progressive lenses) and my eyes felt like the were being pulled to the side. I went back to the mall and a different man said they were not made right, and "I'll take care of you." with a wink. Got the 2nd pair and felt pulling in the other direction. I took them back to the Optometrist, they checked them and said they were made incorrectly. I went to a reputable company who finally made them right. Mall store fully refunded.
When I got Progressive lenses, I did seem to see a dip in the ground, and had to be careful stepping off a curb, and my books appeared to be falling off my podium during class, but that only lasted a week.
I am very far-sighted and must wear correction all the time. I was wearing contacts with readers over them before Progressive. Keep pursuing proper correction, I believe you can get it....then Craft On!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

When I got my first progressive lenses two years ago, the optometrist told me it would take "a while" to get used to them. I was so frustrated for the first 2 weeks I could have cried. But I persisted and after 4 weeks I could actually see again - hallelujah! The next time I saw my optometrist I told them that I spent 4 weeks cursing the ground they all walked on, but that I am now a new woman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

After wearing contacts for 55 years I had to stop due to a corneal abrasion in one eye and wearing only one lens meant I couldn't see hardly anything out of the lens-free eye since vision in that eye was 20/600! When my eye healed it was time for cataract surgery with a lens implant in the left eye in June and the right eye in July. It truly was a miracle to be able to see across the room first thing in the morning! I never wore progressive lenses but had to wear one pair for distance, another for reading or close up and had a 25 year old pair of Rx sunglasses that I had to use for months between the eye injury and both surgeries. During this time every image was stamped wrong, cards were cut wonky and I too was so frustrated. I hope you can have your surgery and that all goes well and you will get your mojo back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Perhaps a pair of reading glasses with the correction you need for working only at that distance would help. Progressive lenses can definitely take some time getting used to using them and how to hold your head for what you are wanting to look at...

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Just caught up with all your comments. For some reason I did not get alerts there were posts. You gals are the best. Thanks for inspiring me to trudge on. It is Thursday and on Tuesday next week, I go for evaluation. Longest two weeks in years. Waiting is not a biggy with me. Thanks again. Things are looking a bit straighter and I finally drove yesterday. I've learned, its better to take the glasses off for close work.
If I should have to wear them after next week, I will take your advice and have them re-evaluated. What an expense in time and money to feel so miserable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad things are a little better. I wore contacts for 20 years but had to stop due to my corneas swelling. I'm very nearsighted and had to go back to glasses. Talk about adjustment! I had to learn to move my head instead of just looking one way or the other.

It's been about 6 years now and with the change in lighter lenses and all of the cute frames you can buy, I actually like wearing glasses now!

I hope your surgery is uneventful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 03:31 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can totally relate. I've worn glasses/contacts for 47 years. I wore mostly contacts until about 10 years ago and I've bounced back and forth as the ideal solution varies from situation to situation. It does get tiresome and does give an appreciation for good vision. Corrective surgery is not an option for me. Corneas too thin for LASIK and until my cataract gets bad enough that surgery is cost prohibitive on my own. Even then the doctor has told me I will still need to wear glasses.��
Crafting with progressives does get better but it couldn't hurt to check with your optometrist to make sure all the vision zones are where they should be. It also helps if they are aware of what activities you will be doing most while wearing your glasses. My sunglasses have a larger mid to far range because I wear them most while driving and watching sports. The glasses I had while I was working had a larger mid range because I worked on a computer all day.
A good light, like an OttLite, is really helpful to me while crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Update: First thank you all for the advice and encouragement. There are so many of you bravely coping. You helped me to appreciate what I have and to stop over reacting to a temporary problem.

My appointment was yesterday and the result is that today I can go back to my mono vision contacts. The surgeon wants to wait and see( no pun intented). I am to go back in five months but must not wear my contacts for a full month before. So that I don't have such an adjustment, I plan on wearing my glasses part time but regularly such as evening tv watching.

On the funny side, I realized I was seeing so much better outside or elseware, but having trouble at home. Realized I have striped wallpaper in living room and bedroom, plaid in the kitchen AND pic below is the checked wall in my dungeon studio. Just maybe that helped me to see a bit crazy.

Im hoping to spend some time making straight cards in the meantime. Treating myself to dungeon time --my happy place--for the next few days to make up for time missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice or sympathy-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 04:27 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. I've had 3 eye surgeries in the past year and still lost the vision in my right eye. My problem has been depth perception. At first it really bothered me to the point where I did not want to craft any longer - but I've been doing some type of crafty every day for years, and would not let it get the best of me! I just took things slow at first, it's not a marathon. And if there are little boo boo's on your cards it ok, that's what makes them special and unique! I'm pretty OCD when it comes to crafting and to learn its ok to have something just "not right" was hard to grasp ~ but that's ok. After all your card is handmade and only you know that whatever is not supposed to be there. That's what embellishments are made for😉 Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

I use cheap reading glasses while doing crafts. Go check them out and see which ones help you see good enough to read. Those are the ones I get for crafting cards and scrapbooking. Progressive glasses are great and you do get use to them. You can see far and you can see close with only one pair of glasses! I just don't like having to look down through the bottom of my glasses for scrapping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

When I was originally prescribed progressives I was told to hang in there. And I did. I literally almost finally gave up one day .....and then somehow, it seemed like it was overnight that I became used to them. I can't remember how long it took.....but I think it was a few weeks......so hang in there!!! In the meantime, you have my sympathy!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 258 Likes on 139 Posts

I understand your delima. I wore contacts (hard and then gas permeable hard because I have severe astigmatism) for 45 years before I decided to get LASIK surgery. The very thing the hard lenses did to change the shape of my eyes to reduce the astigmatism, made the time I had to spend without them and use glasses before all the tests and measurements for the LASIK, was lengthened. Even at that, I had to have a second surgery to further fix the astigmatism. I have loved being glasses and even contact free, but now at 68, I think I need surgery again. I'm wearing generic reading glasses to craft, but finding things aren't clear near or far even though I had the mono vision version done. I have a small range that I can see well in now, so have to stand, sit or hold stuff to have proper vision. Getting old is no fun. Hopefully these few weeks will go quickly and before long you will be seeing and crafting like a pro again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you considered doing your sentiments on computer and cutting out with punch or die cut. Computers' always line up straight when enter the verse. Mostly, all my inside versus are computer generated. I was without vision in one eye; a few years ago; for months, infection from procedure and I did better with glasses off, for closeup work

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes