Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Murphy's Law Strikes Again!

I'm sure there are at least some here who will appreciate this. A few years ago, I needed a new powder bag for heat embossing. I had more than a bit of "sticker shock" when I went to Michael's and found one--for $8.99! Since they don't last forever, that seemed rather much for a bit of fabric & powder. So I walked down to a fabric shop, bought about 1/8 yard of muslin for (I seem to recall) under $1, cut it into many small rectangles, and have been sewing my own ever since. I found a stash of outdated cornstarch in our kitchen (basically free!), so I purloined that and have been using it to fill my little powder bags.

Recently, I decided I needed to make a few more bags, as my current ones were all getting rather low on powder. So I got the baggie I keep the muslin pieces & a spoon for adding the powder in, and looked for the baggie of cornstarch. Nowhere to be found! I finally decided I had cleaned it somewhere in a fit of reorganizing and just forgotten where. Since I needed it, the next time I went grocery shopping I got a 1-lb. box of cornstarch (smallest I could find).

The other night, I went back to the craft room to do or get something--and you guessed it--there was the baggie of outdated cornstarch right where I keep it! Apparently, I had looked all around it when I was searching, but not at it. At least, I hope I didn't look right at it and not see it! I had also gotten a small canister at Dollar Tree for my new cornstarch, so now (because I am NOT throwing away the older stuff), I probably have enough cornstarch to make powder bags for the rest of my natural life, plus a few years! :lolo: Yes, people--Murphy's Law is REAL! :rolleyes:

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

So - make more of the little bags and sell them (or gift them). I'm pretty sure you'd have buyers when the competition is so high-priced... Otherwise, rest content in the knowledge that you are fully stocked for life, lol!

And yes, Murphy's law is all too real...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Of course it is real! It lives/sleeps in my house before going out into the world and practices on me every day.

I can't tell you how often lately I HAVE looked right at something and not seen it. I am convinced now I need to have clearer surfaces and hope that works. (good luck to me on that)

As I have white hair, I got my glasses w clear plastic frames thinking it would be as low a profile as I could get with a large lens. Do I need to say more? I think I have to make a glasses string for around my neck. (Is there a name for that?) so I dont put them down.

I think Sue had a great idea! Make gifts of them to crafty friends!

Is that what is in a bag we buy? I thought it was a talc? Then yeah, that is a very expensive markup!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Murphy is real! I see his handwork on a regular basis although I have never laid eyes on him. I wonder what he looks like... any features stand out to you?

A Grinchy evil laugh perhaps...
Reply With Quote Likes