Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MO Regionals - should I go even though I'm broke?

Okay, I really had planned on going to this regional. I'm from this area and I thought it would be great to combine a trip home to visit family with the regional. Okay, my dilemma: we are broke this week, not to mention pretty much all the time, as my husband is a grad student, we have three kids, and with my job I get paid by the work I complete, and I have a 3 year old (extremely hyper child) home all day, a 4 year old home half a day, and a 7 year old home after school. So, we are in a situation that is bringing in little money at this point. Anyway, I have a workshop this weekend and I was going to use the money from that to pay for regionals when I sign up, but we do not get paid until the 23rd and we are already broke! But the thing is, is that we are always broke, nothing new! Should I still use my SU! money to pay for regionals, or should I just use the money for us as a family? I know that I would regret it if I didn't go to regionals, but I also do not want to be selfish to my family. What do you all think?

Lisa Morgan
www.lisamorgan.stampinup.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Lisa, I feel for you. Money seems to be tight for everyone, my family is not excluded. I think you have to make the decision for yourself but it may help to have reassurance that's it's okay to spend money on yourself and your business. I skipped out on convention last year because I wanted to save some money....however I bought a truckload of new products when the new catalog came out because I was pouting and had to have my way. So do what's best for YOU and your family at this time. If you decide not to go, maybe make it a goal to go to convention next year and start saving $20 bucks here and there, quarters in a jar, etc. It makes a BIG difference to have a stash saved up. If you're unable to go this time, maybe treat yourself to an extra stamp set, some logo merchandise, the DD gallery, etc. Good luck to you, we've all been there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm the last one that should be giving advice seeing how my husband is about to move so we have to maintain two households and I still can't seem to stop buying stamps, but here goes. What does your DH say? Would you feel guilty if you go? I think our guilt is God's way of telling us not to do something. Take it to Him in prayer and he will provide you with the answer. Most of all make sure you can "live" with your decision. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Its really hard to be in your situation, but I think with God's help, He will help you to make a decision that you can live with. Its not the end of the world if you don't go to regionals, and your family should always come first. At the same time, if you decide to go, make sure it is because YOU need it... to refresh, to get away, to see relatives at the same time... you name it. Perhaps it will help you in this way.

Do you have a wonderful friend that can assist you with the children while you are gone so that you DH won't feel stressed about school and caring for 3 kids without you?
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 07:08 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Actually, I'm planning for all of us to go together. My husband would just have to take off school on that Friday and we would leave on Thursday evening after I get off work. So, we would all get a "vacation" and visit with the family. So, it would be nice for the kids to see their grandparents and aunt and cousins. We last went to visit in August, so it will be quite some time since we have seen them by the time January rolls around. Almost all of our family is there, so it would be a nice trip. I haven't said anything to my husband about it yet. He knows of the regional meeting and that we are planning to go, but he doesn't know that the deadline to pay for the meeting is coming so soon. I'm going to see what he says tonight, but I'm afraid he will say no! But knowing him he will say do what makes you happy, that is his usual statement!

Lisa Morgan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In all honesty, I personally would feel more comfortable if the time I invest in SU! if the profit from it went to help my family, if my family were in the financial situation you describe.

While Regionals are fun, and it's good to reinvest in yourself with training as a demonstrator, I honestly would attend it more for the "fun" than anything else.

As a demo'r of 7+ years, I decided this last year NOT to attend Convention in Orlando. We had considered taking the whole family, Disneyworld, yadda yadda yadda. But, as the costs added up, I realized it was going to be hideously expensive and we began to realize it was just not something we could afford.

I elected not to go and instead used what I would have spent on my Convention expenses towards helping pay for a less costly family vacation in California, where we spent 2 fabulous weeks and I got to visit my little sister and meet my new niece for the 1st time.

I missed Convention and seeing friends, but I wouldn't trade that family trip for anything--it was a blast and my whole family enjoyed themselves immensely. Convention happens every year, and Regionals, too . . . but a family vacation of that kind is an infrequent thing with our family's budget; we can only do it every few years and it's especially gratifying to me to know my SU! biz helps pay for it.

However, my dh is the breadwinner in our family and I am a SAHM. If I were in your position, working to cover the family, my perspective would probably be different . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2004, 06:02 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, I talked to my husband last night. He said to do whatever I wanted. I decided that I'm going to use my SU! money to pay for whatever we need this week, and just hope that if a last chance registration comes up that I have the money then or I may just go to the San Antonio REgionals, as the rest of our family lives there. Hopefully, some miracle money comes my way! YOu just never know, otherwise, I will just be happy and get the scoop about regionals from all of you!

Lisa Morgan
Reply With Quote Likes