Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Michaels: What would you buy if you couldn't buy anything there for 2+ years!

... Because that's what's going to happen!

I'll be visiting a Michael's soon and need to know:

If you couldn't buy anything for 2 years, what would you buy?

I live overseas and won't be in a Michael's for probably another 2 years, maybe a little longer. :

It's a shame that they don't have an online store - that would be perfect to see what's on offer now and what I'd like to stock up on, so I'm asking the SCS'ers! :o

What would you buy?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I would stock up on Tombow tape refills, three packs by the boatload. Probably some Christmas decorating things, too. Good luck shopping!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, great question. I think first I'd have to take stock of what I have. Making sure I had inks embossing powders, adhesives, paper. I try focusing on how to make my own embellishments instead of buying alot of stickers and things that get used up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Adhesives, cutting plates for my big shot, mats and blades for my silhouette and cricut.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I think I would stock up on my basic colors of card stock. Black, white, vanilla, kraft. I think when the packs are on sale they are 3 or 4 for $10.00. I would also stock up on adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to be unable to shop for craft supplies at all for 2 years, or just not from Michael's for two years? If it's just that you won't be at Michael's, I might pick up some of their recollections items, fun things from their dollar spot, etc. Anything that is a brand name, you can buy online elsewhere and have shipped to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Where are you going??????

I would be making "CONTACTS" for "SHOPPING"!!!!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Depends on where I'm going. Seriously. I know Tim Holtz just did an Italy craft excursion and people bought tons of papers etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Good responses so far! Questions about where I'm going! Thanks for asking!

I won't be *in* a *Michael's* for two years - specifically just Michaels, but will have access to other crafting stores.

Brand names are here but expensive, so might pick up a few items that I've been wanting to try but haven't because of the price point.

I'd like to stock up on things that will last a while, not consumables that will go quickly (stickers, thickers) and may concentrate on stamps, etc.

I live in NZ and the market is starting to thrive a bit more but this will be my big chance to get items that aren't available here.

Last time I was at Michael's the dollar spot DROVE ME CRAZY, I think I spent 30 minutes looking at everything in the dollar spot and then trying to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by rathercraftyView Post
I won't be *in* a *Michael's* for two years - specifically just Michaels, but will have access to other crafting stores.

Brand names are here but expensive, so might pick up a few items that I've been wanting to try but haven't because of the price point.

I'd like to stock up on things that will last a while, not consumables that will go quickly (stickers, thickers) and may concentrate on stamps, etc.
Well, in that case... I would stock up on Diamond Stickles (they go with everything). Some ink (memento tuxedo black, versamark, etc.). Mmmm... some new nestabilities if they're on sale when you go in. If you scrap, maybe a new album. I found out that I like perfect pearls, so some of those. I'm not crazy about M's stamp selection, but there might be some there that appeal to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rathercraftyView Post
Good responses so far! Questions about where I'm going! Thanks for asking!

I live in NZ and the market is starting to thrive a bit more but this will be my big chance to get items that aren't available here.

Last time I was at Michael's the dollar spot DROVE ME CRAZY, I think I spent 30 minutes looking at everything in the dollar spot and then trying to make a decision.
You must still have and "OLD" Michaels". Mine was just "Remodeled about 4 months ago. The one I used to work at. Stock has pretty much been cut in half. This "Remodeling" is for the birds!!!

Last time I was in there to shop, I had a list of 7 items to buy, only bought two. Went directly to Hobby Lobby. My friends said shopping traffic has dropped, so their hours have dropped. Sure glad I am not working there anymore, fighting for hours! It is a shame! They cut stock in some stores to open stores in other states! Well, at least that is how some employees are looking at it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

TBH it depends on the Michaels you hit. I'm equidistant from 2 and they couldn't be more different.

Depending on how long you are here/some weeks the sales are better than others.

Do you have your "artist" supplies? I got my prismacolor pencils with a coupon from Michaels.

Personally I can't live without my ATG and they do have them and the tape, though I get my tape in bulk elsewhere.

I do like their Recollections line, it isn't premium quality but great for layering and stamps that I wouldn't want to over invest.

I would get paper pads and an envelope punch ... I haven't used mine yet but I think the punch is a great option for using the parts of the pad that aren't a favorite.

Apologies for not seeing the Kiwi location.

And TBH (having lived in England) 16 yrs the things that might be really useful or fun from Michaels might be their seasonal products that you just can't find at home. HTH

Last edited by RiverIsis; 11-05-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd sign up for their coupons. You can save on the stuff that's not on sale, and you could print one out or use your phone every day. Heck, if you have a spouse , get him to sign up and go with you to use his coupon.
Tape for the ATG, B plates or whatever cutting plates you need, blades for your paper cutter.

I don't know if they carry the We R Memory Keepers envelope maker. I got mine through my LSS. One thing about that, use WD40 or some other silicone on the cutting/punching part. Mine was sticking, so I had to do a little surgery to lubricate. Now it works nicely!

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I moved away from my Michaels, sniff, sniff. I use to go at least once a week. Now, it's too far across town so my excursions are really cut down. Even though it's not two years I do the stock up thing too because I know I won't be going there for awhile.

My big things I stock up on are-
Recollections paper packs- Love the paper for my e-die cutters.
Recollections washi tape & bling

Artist Loft paint supplies- These are student grade art supplies. They are just wonderful to work with. I love the watercolors. The basic watercolor set goes on like chalk ink. I just got a metallic set. I love the pastel chalk sets.

Michael's has great sales on canvases & art paper- watercolors, acrylics, mixed media, etc.. The Canson XL Mixed Media pad is a must have for me.

I always buy a few pieces of scrapbook paper. I have been picking up scrapbook albums. They also just got in Project Life too.

That is mainly my must haves for paper crafts. Other crafting items I grab are polymer clay, acrylic paints. I love Crafts Smart & Folk Art for acrylic paints. I always walk out with beads and charms.

It's not a Michael's trip unless I get something Hello Kitty. ;) I also have been buying home decor pieces.

I hope you have a great time and find lots of great sales. Let us know what you got.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #15  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I would probably go for embossing folders first and then use coupons for the artsie type things like pencils, chalks, watercolors. I wouldn't get paper only because that is heavy if you have to carry it back....UGH. Plus you could find that online and get some free shipping or discounted shipping deals. The Michael's near us doesn't have that great of a stamp collection (at least it didn't the last time I was there - but must admit that it was a llloooonnnnnggg time ago) so I would probably pass on stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother's daughterView Post
I'd sign up for their coupons. You can save on the stuff that's not on sale, and you could print one out or use your phone every day. Heck, if you have a spouse , get him to sign up and go with you to use his coupon.
I make using coupons part challenge and part art form. As soon as my kids are old enough to hand the cashier a bill and the coupon, they 'buy' stuff for me. Hubby definitely helps and I've even recruited friends to come with me! I almost never pay fill price for anything, I always but on sale or with a coupon. Retail price sucks!

I'd definitely get Cuttlebug cutting mats if you have one. What about a self healing mat or craft sheet? I'd also get some of the recollections flowers as they are cheaper than prima (esp e coupon!) I'd stock up on silk flowers too. Look for ones that can be taken apart to use each later separately or that have multiple flowers on each stem. Maybe dies or cricut cartridges if you like them? Some Tim holtz inks, stamps or embellies? Silicone molds and air dry clay? Besides the clay aisle, check out the MS molds and the glue section for mod melts molds.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I'm a die and punch fanatic, so I'd go for those. Considering their weight, I imagine they're expensive to ship to NZ, so they're probably expensive to buy online. If you don't have a Big Kick/Big Shot, then get one (with a coupon, of course) while you're here!

The Hobby Lobby stores near me are very nice, as well. If you end up near one, pop in. (The Joann's are crummy and I don't shop there.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I'm a die and punch fanatic, so I'd go for those.
I'd do the same. If you run out of embellishments you can make more with punches and dies using all kinds of materials that are available...old books, magazines, wrapping paper, interesting packaging, pop cans, cereal boxes, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I rarely go to M's. Same old stuff. I buy tombow mono glue from an office discount supply. But I do look for ribbon and white buttons. I have Spectrum Nior markers and with white ribbon/buttons, I can color to match my card stock.

Tara Stampin' Up Demo in training
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I was in Michaels recently and walked out rather quickly. The aisles were so crowded, you could barely get through the store. It has "junked" up quite seriously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Our Michaels seems to be really behind the times. For example, their "new" Cuttlebug folders were released 1-2 years ago. So I almost never shop in the store, I don't think I've set foot in any of our big box craft stores in 3+ years!

if I really want the latest and greatest product, I shop online at small retailers. I also have 4 kids and another on the way, so shopping in stores is more of a chore than a pleasure right now.
Reply With Quote Likes