Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Michael's sale

Lately I don't think Michael's has very good sales . Is it just me thinking this?
This week they have Bazzil paper 2 for $1. Normally 59� -69� That is not much of a bargain
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be happy if the paper was normally 59 - 69 cents. But up here, we'll pay upwards to a dollar or more for a single sheet.

Can't say I know much about the Michael's sales anymore. I don't hardly go there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I agree. I think Michael's used to have much better sales. Also, at least at our store, I swear they have the same paper and stamps they've had for over a year now. I do shop the store and find some things I like, but I wish they'd change their inventory around. I also miss the clearance section our store used to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I was thinking the same thing. It's okay if your walls are bare and need a lot of frames since they seems to constantly have those on sale. I guess maybe they either put stuff on sale that they're either hoping to get rid of or that people buy a lot because some categories of the store never go on sale or only have a tiny bit of a percentage off on the rare occassions they do go on sale. I wish they'd have a sale on their magazines and books occassionally since you haven't been able to use a coupon with them in a very long time and so many of them are very expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I rarely ever go there anymore, because there stock never changes, just like our
JOanne fabrics; luckily, we do have one store that keeps up with the new products

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Michaels makes most of their income from their Framing and Floral Depts. So that's what you'll see most of advertised in the store and flyers.

I don't shop at Michaels but for very little anymore. Never more than one cashier on duty even with a line of 5 or more people. Also their inventory in the paper crafting isles doesn't seem to change in more than a year. They just don't carry the selection in the brands I use.

I agree, their sales are (or seem to be) no more than 25-30% off where other stores it's 40%. Just the coupon is 40%.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I wish they'd have a sale on their magazines and books occasionally since you haven't been able to use a coupon with them in a very long time and so many of them are very expensive!
I hear ya about the books! I asked once why we couldn't use the coupons and they told me it was because they make so little profit on the books that they would be taking a loss with the coupon. I still think they could throw us a bone every so often and put them on sale! Every time I consider books I ask myself if I can find the ideas and techniques listed on the net. If I think I can and the price is too much, it will stay right there.

Our Micheals and Joanns irritate me. it seem like the same sales rotate over and over. And last week NOTHING at Micheals was on sale because they just had a big sale (not THAT big). But, Joanns had their Daffodile Dash going on. The biggest thing that screws me up is Micheals has a great selection but horrible prices. Joanns on the other hand has great prices, but horrible selection. I end up bouncing between the 2 sometimes trying not to spend an arm and a leg. I almost think that what I saved on the item was paid out in gas, time and energy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Michaels makes most of their income from their Framing and Floral Depts. So that's what you'll see most of advertised in the store and flyers.

I don't shop at Michaels but for very little anymore. Never more than one cashier on duty even with a line of 5 or more people. Also their inventory in the paper crafting isles doesn't seem to change in more than a year. They just don't carry the selection in the brands I use.

I agree, their sales are (or seem to be) no more than 25-30% off where other stores it's 40%. Just the coupon is 40%.

Patti
I agree, they just don't carry a nice selection of items. It always seems to be the same things when I go there. They've had the same Cuttlebug folders for almost a year now. If I want to find any new folders I have to travel to Hobby Lobby or order online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have noticed lately that the paper stacks are only 25% off when on sale...not 30% or 40%...anyone else notice that?
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I've noticed that lately every time they have a "special" 20% off regular AND sale items coupon nothing is on sale so essentially it's just a 20% off coupon! I got sucked in a couple of times until i realized that I'm never able to save more than 20%

Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have noticed lately that the paper stacks are only 25% off when on sale...not 30% or 40%...anyone else notice that?
blessings.
yes...and it's driving me crazy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I wonder if they've taken a hit on lack of magazine/book sales since they banned use of coupons. I used to buy my magazines from there all the time..with my coupon of course, but I now buy my mags from Joanns. Thankfully they still accept coupons for it.

Wouldn't it be better to make a small profit on magazines (w coupon) vs not selling them at all? Plus it would lure us in to pick up a magazine & maybe do a little unexpected shopping too.
Oh well, their loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
blessings.
I have noticed that too... same with ACMoore, I think that this week they have stamps for 25% off.. not much of a sale. I would rather wait and use a coupon.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

Patti
If what you say is true about them making the income off floral and framing, then their regular prices on frames must be way higher than I thought. I don't shop for a lot of frames so I don't know if Michael's regular prices are comparable to other places' regular prices, but Michael's always seem to have their frames on sale and usually 40-50% off. Lately they seem to be having a bunch of the 40-50% off all frames and then there's the extra coupon for an additional amount off of that sale price. I recently purchased some of the nice Trendsetter poster frames. They were on sale for 50% off, but then I got the sale ad for the next week (while the previous week sale was still going on) and I saw that if I waited until the new ad started that I'd save the 50% and another 20% on top of that, so I waited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

While I do love me lots of sales and discounts, businesses are there to make money. I'm amazed that some of these places actually stay in business with the discounts they give.
I've worked in the wholesale/importing side of the "alternative" (non-Hallmark, non-American Greetings) greeting card business and I have a fairly good understanding of how pricing works - both at the small store and volume chain levels.

We've gotten used to and come to expect deep discounts from lots of our favourite retailers, but really we shouldn't whine, just take advantage of great prices when they come along!

That said, Joann online has really spiffed up their selection of scrapbooking/cardmaking supplies and have more and more "current" products available. The stuff goes on sale regularly - really good sales too. I never pay regular price for anything there. Additionally, I subscribe to the online newsletter so I always get notified of their sales and get sent coupons for discounts and free shipping. I also discovered that if you do a search for "joann coupons" you can pretty much always get free shipping.

I live in Canada, but am lucky enough to have a friend in the States I can ship stuff to.

Ok, end blog ;)

Oh and really, I do NOT work for Joann, just a pretty happy customer who has saved TONS of money on craft supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Our Joann's is not that awesome, but I did find out you can use the teacher discount on top of a sale, so when they have paper crafting tools 40% off it's a pretty good deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I dont shop at Michaels much anymore at all. I never seem to find anything I want there - and there is never anything "new" that I can find. And if I happen to find something I want, I can usually buy it elsewhere for so much less - even if I have to order online, I would rather pay less and wait for the package to arrive. I'm definitely not a big Michaels fan anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

geogymnast82.....My comments were in reference to their custom framing and custom floral (those items created in store). I have no idea of the frames on the floor or the floral items that are pre-made.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I dont shop at Michaels much anymore at all. I never seem to find anything I want there - and there is never anything "new" that I can find. And if I happen to find something I want, I can usually buy it elsewhere for so much less - even if I have to order online, I would rather pay less and wait for the package to arrive. I'm definitely not a big Michaels fan anymore.
I do this as well. One of the reasons I stopped going to Michaels was that anyone I asked for help, I would just get blank stares. No one knows anything at our store. So because of their poor customer service, I just don't bother anymore. I just find it elsewhere.

www.paperandthings-renata.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Our Michael's has 30% all Slice products this week. While it's not the 40-50% off, I'll take it. I am however going to write to them about their "green" policies, they say they take the competitors coupons but will not take an electronic one (ie. iPhone's Yowza app. that has Hobby Lobby coupon code for 40%). Frankly, between this and the extremely long, overdone receipt and coupon, they are wasting way too much paper in my opinion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

My store is almost completely revamping its stock in stickers and paper. Almost all of the aisles have new stuff and it is going to be easier to shop with everything by themes(i.e. school, holidays and events, travel, baby, kids, etc.) I can't wait.
------
Caren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't shop Michael's anymore. I much prefer Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to jennysbugbites

I have some 'gripes' lately at my Michael's. First, this is the 3rd time this has happened to me, I picked up a clearance stamp yesterday and it rang up for a penny but they wouldnt sell it to me cause its a recall and its one they 'forgot' to grab off the shelf... BULL! Its happened more than once so I know they didn't 'forget'!! They should have to sell it to me for the price on the package not a penny.

Secondly... lately when I have been going the store is totally disorganized and dirty. I hate going to it anymore. The employees are unfriendly and slow and no ones ever around to answer a question.

Lastly... they dont update products. They have had the same Hero Arts clear stamps for the last year or so. Get some new stuff!!

I sooooo wish we had a Hobby Lobby!!!! From what ive seen they are great but there are none here. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I think they are struggling and more and more folks are opting for Hobby Lobby. I personally used to really have a beef against HL but I realize with our new store management, the same issues don't hold true. They once ripped me off for $13.79 (long story) and I boycotted the for years. Took me a while to realize that it was that particular manager and not the overall company.

I shop there because they are a clean and bright store and our Michaels, though they are in a less than five year old mall, is always dirty, dark and don't encourage me to stay long. But in Hobby Lobby, I feel like I could roam around for hours and be welcome the whole time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I did hit our Michael's today. They are having a big 2/$1 clearance on ribbon. All the stamps have been moved, virtually none left and almost all on sale. One of the staff (their staff is extremely nice and helpful) told me that they are switching out their stamping stuff and getting lots of new in. As I do like the ladies that work here locally, I can't wait to see what the new inventory is! Hopefully, they're trying to increase their inventory and variety.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Will Michael's/Joann's price match the other's ad?

Our Michaels moved to a new store about a year ago. They have LESS space total and even less selection in stamping/scrapbooking so it's really disappointing. You would think that they would expand!!

We have all 3 here so I can usually find something to buy!!! LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the sale is us ing the 40% off coupons....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

The trick with the 40% coupon is if what you want will be regular priced. It some times feel like when I have no coupon, that is when what I want is regular price and when I do have a coupon it is like 10% off... Oh well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do 90% of my shopping online.

I don't shop Michaels, plus ANY chain store in this day and age that will not do business on the internet is in my opinion wayyyyy behind the times and therefore in my mind they have a stupid business model.

Hobby Lobby has a decent inventory, and a pretty good clearance section. I only go there if I have no where else to go. I get the feeling that it pushes religion at their customers. It's a craft store - when I go to a craft store I don't want to be met with major displays of crosses, and Amazing Grace being piped over the sound system ..... ad nauseum. Once I've made my way past the crucifix's and tuned out "What a friend we have in Jesus" I am content to browse around. BUT now that they have joined the 21st century and opened an online store, I will likely shop there. No crosses, no hymns.

Joann is merely ok. About 80% of the time they do not have what I want at the store - but they have a great selection of stuff online. I will only buy what is on sale or has a free shipping coupon.

Out of these big 3 I guess Joanns is my first choice - only because I can usually find something I want online - onsale.

But in answer to the OP - Michaels is a waste of my time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I'm happy that Michaels is gettin in new stuff!!!! I find that my Hobby Lobby doesn't change their product either and I get tired of looking at the same stuff. I too shop a lot online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I do like my Michael's better than before. They made a major effort about a year ago to bring in new merchandise, but it seems things have slowed down recently.

One thing I've noticed is that only their store brand scrapbook paper goes on sale now. I brought a bunch of American Crafts and Anna Griffin sheets up to the cash register, and it was not on sale, only their own brand paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Last year our Mike's witched to the new format and I like it. Recently I noticed they have expanded their store brand Reflections. The quality is what you would expect from Mikes and the paper has some good designs. I'm mainly happy that they added Basic Grey. That is when I use my 50% coupons.

As for sales, the only one I really like is when the storage goes on sale for 40% off the rest is not that great unless you are buying in bulk.

One more note - since the new format change the service is much, much better and the store is clean unless they are in the process of swapping out seasonal stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes