Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default michaels, joanns or hobby lobby?

how is the best in selling stamps, embellishments, papers, punches, craft tools etc?
Let me know.
stampowl1
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I like all of those stores for different reasons Each are nice for the fact they run nice sales & offer coupons as well. HL typically runs stamps and ink pads 50% off every 4-6 weeks. They also run great sales on there designer papers as does M's and Joann's.

M's carries a lot of wonderful punches. As for embellishments you can find somewhat of a different selection in each store. All run good sales on these items as well.

Happy shopping, Janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Truthfully, I think it depends where you live! I've heard of horrible Jo-Ann stores and fabulous Hobby Lobby stores in one town, while another SCS member will post that where she lives it's the exact opposite! Michael's seems to have the worst overall reputation, but lately they have been steadily improving their inventory -- first time in years that they've had new patterned paper!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I have a Michael's and Hobby Lobby near me.
Hob Lobster pros:
Cheap brads, rhinestones, and other embellishments (when they're on sale)
Patterned paper packs (when they're on sale)
Rubber stamps (you guessed it...when they're on sale)
Copics (but small selection)
Hob Lobster cons:
They stopped selling brand name single sheets and now just sell their house Paper Studio brand, which I'm not too impressed with
Inventory doesn't seem to change much
Cash registers/returns are annoyingly ancient, you have to be careful the cashiers discount everything on sale that week (although normally they're pretty good with remembering)
Does not accept competitors coupons, and they don't have a 40% off every week

M's Pros:
Punches
"Upscale" embellishments
Martha Stewart
Brand name single sheets (but pricey)
Seems like they are expanding their clear stamps
Accepts competitor's newspaper coupons in the same transaction
Cons:
Small rubber stamp selection
Inventory doesn't seem to change much
Usually a bit more pricey than HL, but not always

Joann's pros:
Opening soon near me!
Joann's cons:
Not open yet!

As Rachel said, each location is different so YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

My Hobby Lobby carries more wooden stamps than Michaels or Joann's, bur their acrylic stamps are lacking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Our Michael's won't take competitor coupons. :( I find that M and HL do not change their inventory frequently. However, HL will order for you if they are out of stock or low on items. Ms will not do that. Personally, I prefer AC Moore, but you may not have one near. My AC Moore is 1 hour away, and totally worth the drive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #7  
Vintage Vixen

In my town we have just a Michaels and a Joann's. The Joann's is small and has very little for the paper crafter: usually just some el cheapo decorative paper packs and stickers. I didn't even know that people went there for stamping/scrapping stuff until I heard people talking about it here on SCS. But seriously, our Target or Walmart has just as much if not more than Joann's has.

Our Michaels is definitely better. Apparently we are one of the "lucky" bigger stores to get the new clear stamps (Inkadinkadoo as well as other companies), Bazzill cardstock and new decorative papers (including some Basic Grey), Tim Holtz products, etc. However they haven't stocked any new Cuttlebug folders in over a year and they don't carry any of the Nestabilities. I also like Michaels because they have the artist/paint section where I can get Prisma pencils, odorless mineral spirits, gesso, acrylics, etc. I like the fact that they have regular coupons--although I've been getting their email ad for well over a year and it does not include a coupon, just the ad. Some times I can get the coupon out of our Sunday paper, or I find one online.

There is a Hobby Lobby in a town about 30 miles away and I like their store, too. They have different decorative papers than Michaels and carry newer Cuttlebug folders and the Nestabilities, as well as Bind-It-All accessories (Michaels carries nothing related to the Bind-It-All). HL also ALWAYS includes a coupon with their email ad that arrives every Saturday night. But sometimes the HL coupon is for a specific product or item unrelated to paper crafting. HL is a road trip for me, whereas Michaels is in town. And HL is not open on Sundays.

So overall I end up at Michaels more often but it's more a matter of convenience since it's right here in town. Just last week I had the opportunity to visit my parents while they were on vacation in a town with a Hobby Lobby. I printed out 3 coupons and spent about $70 (after coupons--my mom and her friend went through separate lines for me :mrgreen.

Ohh---and you didn't ask but I also fortunately have a local scrapbooking store in my town that carries all kinds of great decorative paper, Bazzill and Core'dinations cardstock, embellishments and tools. The owners are great about stocking items that are specifically requested by customers. I like shopping at locally-owned shops. Plus I get a discount for teaching classes there. So I do a lot of shopping there, too. :mrgreen:

WOW! Sounds like I do a lot of shopping and spending. LOL! But really I don't. I'm just very familiar with the stores because we have so few options here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #8  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

We have no Hobby Lobby - not even within a 5 hours drive. Our Michaels seems to get more new stuff in than our AC Moore does but our Joanne's is pretty much worthless for stamping. So it really does depend on your local stores. Wish we had an Archivers and a Hobby Lobby within driving distance.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

my joanns has nothing. I only have a Michaels, and they have gotten much much better in stocking now.
so I go there when I can to get packs of patterned paper and punches ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I am fortunate that I have both a JoAnn's and a Michael's. That being said, our JoAnn's is getting better and better things all of the time. They now have some of the Fall 09 EK Success punches!!! And they are constantly upgrading. PLUS they don't charge outrageous (to me) prices whereas Michael's has as others have mentioned upgraded their papers, etc but their prices are just too high. Even with a coupon the price is what I would regularly pay @ JoAnn's across the street. I try to shop as much as possible at JoAnn's but if they don't have it I will go to Michael's. Just my thoughts and experiences.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably depends on your town. In my town, Jo's has nothing new and doesn't seem to change the stock at all. But takes competitors coupons and has the nicest staff. M's has started to get in some new things, not the clear stamps but I'm holding out hope! I won't pay for their new paper at $1.50-1.99 a sheet. Nice but too pricey for me. Always have coupon in paper or email. Not very friendly or helpful. HL would be my pick, usually have coupons at least twice a month, either paper or email. Good selection of stamps both wood and clear. Great clearance sales. Staff nice. LSS not friendly, but great paper selection.
My 2 cents worth-just go shopping and feel them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I live in a large metro area and we have several Michaels and Joann�s. The smaller Joann�s stores have almost nothing, but we have a Joann�s Etc (larger) store nearby and it is by far my favorite.
Here Joann�s is way better about taking coupons, they will take as many coupons as you want to use as long as they are not exactly the same, and they also take competitors coupons.
Our Michaels won�t take competitors coupons and they won�t let you use two 40% off coupons at the same time (like a register coupon and a newspaper coupon). Also their prices are higher. But I do go there for Martha Stewart punches and sale items.
Our nearest Hobby Lobby is 75 minutes away. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentView Post
I like all of those stores for different reasons Each are nice for the fact they run nice sales & offer coupons as well. HL typically runs stamps and ink pads 50% off every 4-6 weeks. They also run great sales on there designer papers as does M's and Joann's.

M's carries a lot of wonderful punches. As for embellishments you can find somewhat of a different selection in each store. All run good sales on these items as well.

Happy shopping, Janice
Should have mentioned our JoAnn's is a superstore. I have a new upgraded M's (Recollections?) as well too and Archiver's is relatively close. All in all I have it pretty good with selection choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I have each of these fairly close to me and my vote would go to JoAnn's, but only if it is a Superstore. My Michaels is brand new and super tiny; the selection isn't always there. The closest Hobby Lobby just seems dated, but maybe that's all of them!! JoAnn's is the farthest away, but by far my favorite! They have a good selection and decent prices. I also have a LSS, but I pretty much only go there for things I know I can't find at the others, they can be pricey!! (but they do take competitor coupons on Tuesdays and Thursdays...)

Some other posters have mentioned competitor coupons, but I wanted to add my two cents about them. (and this could be specific to my stores) Hobby Lobby does not take competitor coupons, but I usually get a 40% off from them at least twice a month in an e-mail. Michael's will only accept one coupon per transaction, theirs or a competitors; and they usually won't let you do multiple transactions to use more than one coupon. (Sometimes I'll split it into two visits to use more than one coupon; and then they also (usually) give you a coupon that prints out with your recipt) JoAnn's gets my vote though because you can use as many coupons as you want per regular priced item, JoAnn's or competitor coupons.

Ok, so I totally feel like this is appropriate at this point:

My name is Sara and I am a (craft) Shop-aholic!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The nearest Michaels store closed recently which I think was due to high prices and unfriendly staff. Joann's is a bit better. They listened to the customers complaints and now have 2 or 3 people at the check outs during sales and on Saturdays. Inventory and selection are better than they used to be but still limited. I normally order from J's on line store when they run specials and give free shipping.

Hobby Lobby is the best of the 3 stores as far as sale prices and stocking more name brand items like Penny Black and House Mouse stamps. They don't seem to change the stamps they stock very often though so once you have been there, it will be the same in the next 6 months. They do have Copics and Prismacolors markers, but not many colors in stock. I think Pat Catans has better prices than any of the other 3 stores, but the clerks aren't very friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I really think that the quality of these chain stores varies widely. I have a bunch of these stores within, say, a 25 mile radius. Some Michaels are GREAT--some not so much. Joannes doesn't have a lot for the stamper/scrapper, at least the ones near me; and HL is, in general, probably the best in terms of comprehensive selection for the stamper/scrapper. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Coupons, local store policies, and size of individual stores all make a very big difference in the decision of "where to shop". Personally, I think it is our responsibility to help support our LSS--even though the prices may be higher than at the chain stores, the level of personal service and support of the stamping community is a factor to take into consideration.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

We don't have a Hobby Lobby but I have a JoAnn's Superstore and a new format Mikes.

JoAnns - great sales, good for discounts on seaonal decorator items, better cuttlebug embossing folders. Stamps selection good for clear awful for wood mount. Magazine selection and books - awful.

Mikes - good selection of paper, better embellishments, clear stamps, getting better on wood stamps. Magazines and books and prisma pencils - poor selection. Better selection of storage items and art supplies.

In California we have a small chain called Beverly's - they have a good selection wood stamps, good embellishments but not great on 12x12 paper. They carry a line of 8 1/2 x 11 solid paper that is awesome.

I shop all plus Aaron Brothers for prisma pencils. Basically, I have to shop them all to find what I want and more and more I find that I shop online for the special items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Michael's seems to have the worst overall reputation, but lately they have been steadily improving their inventory -- first time in years that they've had new patterned paper!
I too noticed the inventory at my M's improving and commented on it to the manager (I used to work for her), and she told me that M's now has 2 new corporate buyers for the scrapbooking dept. that are women. The previous buyer was a man! I know there are a few men who do papercrafting, but I can only assume that this one didn't. So I thought that explained a lot. LOL

I don't go to JoAnne's very much because ours is a small store with an even smaller selection. M's and Robert's are both not to far from me. Which one I shop at depends on what I am looking for. I so wish we had a Hobby Lobby here!

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our Joanne's has a small stamping/scrapbooking area that seems to get smaller every time I go in there. The last time I went, the items that were on sale were not in their system correctly and would not give the sale price. The cashier had to back it all out and re-do the order before it would accept the pricing. Half the time they are ou of what ever it is that is on sale and that is on day 1 of the sale!

My Hobby Lobby is pretty decent, I love the 40% off coupons every other week. The one thing they are bad about is enough cashiers covering checkout. When I have DS with me so I can use 2 coupons at once, it is nice to get thru the line asap!

The Michaels near me seems to have the same stuff over and over again. I can't tell you when I saw a new Cuttlebug folder in there! They do have one of the nicest cashiers that I have ever met!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

We have a Joann's about 15 miles away and it's a smaller one. As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't have known they had stamping stuff if I hadn't seen it here. But it's a small selection -- I've bought some ink there. The next time I'm in a town with the big store, I'm going to check it out though.

The nearest Michael's or Hobby Lobby are each an hour away :(. The Michael's is a new one (used to be Linens & Things, I think). They have a central area right in the front of the store with all scrapbooking/stamping supplies, on lower shelf units that you can see over... kind of nice - you can tell they made extra effort here. And of course, they have art supplies in another area nearby also.

I only first went to HL about a year ago!! Until I saw this newer Michael's, I really thought HL and M's were very similar. But again, I don't go often enough to see the finer points, product turnover, coupon policies, etc.

Because they are so far away, I don't shop at any of those stores very often - I usually shop online. But I'd love to make the 2-hour drive to the nearest Archiver's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our Joanns here is awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Michaels reallly doesn't have a good inventory of stamps, and what they do have is pricey. Big negative for me is that they don't sell online.

Hobby Lobby = nice selection of inks, but seems like mostly wood mounted stamps. Good sale when you're in the right place at the right time. BUT - if you wander beyond the scrapbook section it feels like I'm in church - I mean really, what's with all the crosses and religious stuff? Huge turn-off for me, and they're not open on sundays nor do they sell online.

JOANNES WINS for me hands down! Specifically because they sell online. I can usually get the tools and products I want without having to go to a store which may or may not carry the item I want.
Reply With Quote Likes