Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #41  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv FlowersView Post
Holly, your measuring really is apparent. Your cards are always crisp, neat, and exact looking. I'd like it if rulers were't necessary. The idea of trying to be exact gives me anxiety.
That's a good thing, I think! If HANDMADE cards were meant to be exact, then a machine would make them, kwim? I have more fondness for the cards that are flawed just a bit. To me, it shows the human factor ;)

Thanks for the compliment, though. My OCD requires the ''order" and such. I still have some of my older cards that were not so crisp and neat. I will treasure them always!

Hugs!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am and have always been horrible at math.

I got tired of bothering my hb so I went looking for something easier.

I found this website, printed this out and have it sitting on my desk.

It's been a huge help. ;)

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58167
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Isn't it funny that we've probably all said to ourselves, why don't I know measurements, and felt like idiots......and there are probably more people than the ones who posted here who have the same issue. I'm SO happy I'm not alone. That ruler guide.....perfect!! Thanks.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

When I am doing a "standard" card size (A2, 5 or 6 inch squares, etc.) I always measure, however if I am working around an stamped image with edges that I need to crop I eyeball it. Also, why the US doesn't work in metric is beyond me. It's easier. I'm pretty sure it is what I learned in school and when I had to deal more in standard it drove me nuts. With that said, I use standard all the time because it is what everyone else was using when I started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

I'm another that has always enjoyed math, but I only cut to measure when I am preparing multiples. I usually just cut to fit the main image, and then size my card accordingly.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use 2 rulers all the time-an old 1 by 6 inch see thru quilting ruler with grid lines on it and Tim's ruler with the centering edge. But I'm much better at eyeballing things than when I first started!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Measuring and cutting are not my problem. I've relearned how to use a ruler, but no amount of perfect measuring and cutting can solve my inability to line layers up when assembling the card. I really should get the perfect layers tool, but I keep eyeballing the assembly and mess up everything. Then I explain it away as it being handmade so it can't be perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I HATED math in school. I am surprised I graduated. Believe it or not, I never took Geomotry and actually just figured out fractions (in regard to measurments) recently. (I'm 38 yrs old!!) I work as a bookkeeper for a living so basic math is easy to do. My joke is, I don't do math, I'm just a bookkeeper for a living. My boss laughs everytime.

When I got started making cards, I did them just like my SIL did (who got me started). The cards were simple one layer cards with just stamping, nothing else. Nothing to measure other then cut the base paper down to size. A few years later, I got hooked on scrapbooking and was showed layering by eyeballing it. That got VERY frusterating for me, as I couldn't get stuff cut right. One side was too short so I would cut the other to match and then that side would be too short. Most of my layouts in the beginning didn't have layering/matting because I hated to do it. After a year of scrapbook, I
"discovered" card making again when I joined CTMH. There they had measurements for their cards and scrapbooking. I was in heaven!!!! It was card making these last few years that I finally learned fractions when it comes to measurements. I still have to check my ruler/trimmer 2 or 3 times before I cut, but I am much happier now that I measure!!!

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I never measure for layers. I just line up two corners of the paper I need to cut along the cardstock I'm layering it onto, make two marks for the other two sides I need to cut and that's it.
If I need to measure something, and it's not a 'common' measurement, I have to ask, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Math is hard for me but I measure 99.9% 0f the time. I am very detailed, however, I am also a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity so measurements come easy to me. A lot of time, I can look at something and know what size I will need to make the element for cards or scrapbook layouts or building supplies because of how I am at Habitat and vise versa. At Habitat, we always say...measure twice, cut once.

I know a few who just eyeball. We joke when we get together because I am so picky about it. It's very hard for some people.

Last edited by AZShann; 05-31-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZShannView Post
Math is hard for me but I measure 99.9% 0f the time. I am very detailed, however, I am also a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity so measurements come easy to me. A lot of time, I can look at something and know what size I will need to make the element for cards or scrapbook layouts or building supplies because of how I am at Habitat and vise versa. At Habitat, we always say...measure twice, cut once.

I know a few who just eyeball. We joke when we get together because I am so picky about it. It's very hard for some people.
I do however eyeball once things are cut/after they are measured to layer or place elements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also measure absolutely everything. It would drive me insane if I didn't LOL I do find however, that if you don't have a cutter that cuts square, you're going to go nuts whether you measured or not. My cutter does not cut square *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
I also measure absolutely everything. It would drive me insane if I didn't LOL I do find however, that if you don't have a cutter that cuts square, you're going to go nuts whether you measured or not. My cutter does not cut square *sigh*
Not to hi-jack this thread, but that brings up another point. If you are going to make/sell a cutter for making crafts, wouldn't you make a cutter that is square and cuts straight and the ruler on it is accurate!! Am I silly in thinking that any cutter I buy would be correct? Food for thought, I guess.

Hi-jack over. Back to your regularly scheduled day.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeneyView Post
When I am doing a "standard" card size (A2, 5 or 6 inch squares, etc.) I always measure, however if I am working around an stamped image with edges that I need to crop I eyeball it. Also, why the US doesn't work in metric is beyond me. It's easier. I'm pretty sure it is what I learned in school and when I had to deal more in standard it drove me nuts. With that said, I use standard all the time because it is what everyone else was using when I started.
I was going to ask the same thing! The US has a metric currency but uses an outmoded measuring system. Here in the UK, as in the rest of Europe and Australia, we mainly use the metric system of measuring and it is so much easier - no fractions just millimetres (mm) or centimetres (cm)
However saying all that I still get wonky lines and I blame either my rulers or the fact that I wear spectacles, can't possibly be me

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #55  
Compulsive Stamper

I've read through this whole thread hoping to find the answer to MY question, but it seems that no one is as stupid as me. I'm more interested in the physical action of measuring, not whether you do it or not. For example, when you start to make a card, what do you do? Do you start with the base measurements and then hope that you end up with a large-enough layer for your main image? Or do you do the exact opposite, i.e., stamp your main image and then layer that until you get to the base and hope you end up with the correct size card? Measuring multiple layers is my biggest problem and after years of eye-balling, I WOULD like to know what the correct method is.

Also, do any of you have the problem with your trimer that the area between the trimmer base and the pull-out arm is JUST where you want an exact measurement? In other words, the plastic border is right at 5" - 5 1/4" and you end up HAVING to eyeball?

I would just LOVE to hear back from you smart and experienced gals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

I have some pre-made cards I got at M's...so I've made myself some templates for 3 layers. Bottom, middle, and top. I like to leave a little of the actual card or cardstock showing.

I usually will do my focus image....stamp that...then go to layering and adding embellishments. I don't have many large stamps so I usually have lots of room to layer. That's why I made the templates...got tired of measuring everytime!

I'm not sure this is the "correct" way as I'm new to card making. I have had that problem with my trimmer...I usually just use a ruler and make a dot where I need to cut.

I really would like to have a bigger trimmer...one without the arm and one that really cuts straight. Mine seems to be off sometimes.

Hope this helps ya!

Tammy

ETA~I'm bad at measurements too!! I hate 1/8, 1/16, 1/32. I'm older than 38 and graduated highschool...but I have problems reading a ruler.....still!! Go figure!! lol

Last edited by suni19; 06-11-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #57  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MenagerieView Post
I've read through this whole thread hoping to find the answer to MY question, but it seems that no one is as stupid as me. I'm more interested in the physical action of measuring, not whether you do it or not. For example, when you start to make a card, what do you do? Do you start with the base measurements and then hope that you end up with a large-enough layer for your main image? Or do you do the exact opposite, i.e., stamp your main image and then layer that until you get to the base and hope you end up with the correct size card? Measuring multiple layers is my biggest problem and after years of eye-balling, I WOULD like to know what the correct method is.

Also, do any of you have the problem with your trimer that the area between the trimmer base and the pull-out arm is JUST where you want an exact measurement? In other words, the plastic border is right at 5" - 5 1/4" and you end up HAVING to eyeball?

I've been stamping for over 10 years and I never start in the same place as far a measurements for a card I'm not using a predetermined layout (like from a book or a template).

I would say that for me it starts with focal point. What do I want the person to see first. If the focal point is 2 x 3 and I'm going to do layers I usually cut the layer to be 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 to give a 1/8 edge around all sides.

If I want a really thin edge I cut the layer 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 and then I shave of 1/8" from each side. This may waste a bit of paper but I use a Tonic paper trimmer that has 1/4" grid on the cutting plate so it's easier to get exact measurements at 1/4" increments. The paper trimmer also has a line for 1/8" so I can easily align for shaving off the extra. I belive in cutting a little larger as I can always trim down but once it's too small it's always going to be too small.

I use the swing arm for larger pieces but I don't really trust the measurement so I do measure my paper to make sure I'm getting it right.

I rarely "eyeball it" for the exact cuts. I may start out with thinking of putting a strip of paper that 3 x 5 and then decide oops, should be 2 1/2 by 5. I trim and cut until I find a design I like. I probably waste more paper than I should but I'm not into laying out everything until I get a design I like. I just futz around until I get a design I like.

One big thing you need to do is make sure your ruler has the same measurements as your paper cutter. Not all rulers are the same - really, check it out. I had some cheapo rulers that were off up to 1/16". If you measure with a ruler and then try to get the same on your papercutter that has different tick marks, you'll always be a little bit off. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Quote:

Originally Posted by MenagerieView Post

I always start with my card size in mind. I know I can't have a layer that is longer than 4 1/4" on one size or 5 1/2" on the other. I typically measure my main image (the actual stamp) and then decide how much space I want around it. That's how I come up with my main layer. I prefer to cut everything by 1/4" increments. That way it's easy to decide how big the next layer would be. I also tend use my ruler on my card base and eyeball what I'd like it to look like and then measure. I then cut my layer to that size. I don't know if there really is a correct method. I think that whatever method works for you is best.

My trimmer arm is also at the 5" - 5 1/4" mark. I can usually line up the 5" fine if I use the mark lower on my trimmer (it's curved so in the middle of the trimmer the 5" line is there). And I'm so used to using it I know where the 5 1/4" mark should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know if you've seen the thread about Perfect Layers tools but although I don't have these products yet, I think they may just solve my cutting and measuring problems. With these products even if you screw up your card, you can fix it.

HOW TO VIDEOS - Perfect Paper Crafting
Creative Tools for Scrapbooking, Card Making & Paper Crafting!

YouTube - ‪Perfect Layers 3-tool Set with Perfect Squares and Instr...‬‏

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes