Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marker users or marker avoiders...

Please share your opinion...

I must confess that I am a new SU collector (okay, user too!) and will be signing my demo paperwork soon. I only have one marker that I won as a door prize and am wondering if I should just buy the whole set with my first demo purchase and 30% off discount on my first order. Will I use them that often?

My initial thought was that I could use them instead of having to buy every ink pad that I want (which is many!) Would I just be better off to get the spots?

Do you all do much "coloring in" on your stamps? Any recommendations or offers of advice?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I do not know how I lived without mine. I have been stamping for 8 years and just got the whole set in the past few months. I use them ALL the time now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to "color in" but my preference for larger areas is the Watercolor Crayons. The markers are great for coloring directly onto a stamp -- particularly if I want a green stem and a black outlined flower for example. I love to use them for small items that need to be colored in -- like a tiny flower or shoe. You can also use the markers with the new spritzer tool to make splatter effects.

It is tempting to get everything with that first 30% off isn't it?? I recommend loading up on paper, paper and more paper. Gee, that stuff goes fast. The markers are an excellent buy so I recommend getting them, but if you want something for coloring in, get the WCC instead, and buy the markers later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I just pick up colors that I really want to use. I don't feel like I need the whole set. Even with a 30 percent discount, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather have. I love using markers to color different parts of stamps, but there are some that I don't really need. I love the really light colors to color images directly, but I don't usually use dark colors directly on paper like that. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the whole set, use them all the time.....would be LOST without them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I love my markers. I'm glad I ordered the whole set at once, because that way I got the case to keep them in. My set is a couple of years old, so I bought the new colors that came out last year. Now I need a place for my retired markers. I've never used watercolor crayons, although I hear they are great. I sometimes color with my markers. I always sign my name on the back of a card in the same color as the cardstock. I also like to write on the inside in a coordinating color marker. They are great, as Joan said, to color the stamps. I find that when I buy things a bit at a time (like stamp pads) I always end up in the middle of a project wishing I had some color that I don't have yet. That's why I buy everything in sets now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with Joan about the paper. When I signed up I didn't have any SU paper. It makes planning workshops more difficult when you don't have a lot of the paper. Heck, I even want the paper for my own projects. A little while back I had to go to the craft store to finish off a project and boy was I dissapointed when the paper there was flimsy. I've made a vow on my next order to make it a big one and get lots of paper.

When I first signed up I got all the ink pads. Since I already have all the colors I can squish my inkpad and use a blender pen. Not as good as having the markers but perhaps I'll purchase those next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I'm w/ Joan - I use the crayons to color in stamped images. I vote for the markers though because you can color directly on the rubber in all 48 colors. The markers are great for floral or multi-color designs. It took me about a year to work up to all the ink pads, but the markers and crayons can tide you over.

Good luck!
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have all the pads or the markers (yet), but for every pad I do have, I bought the marker. If I were to do it all over again, I would have purchased the markers in sets. Heck, I would have purchased the pads in sets too. But 8 years ago, when I started collecting stamping stuff, I didn't know I would still be stamping now and wanting so many colors. :-)

--Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I may not be the best person to answer this. I have all of the markers and all of the classic ink pads. I tried to just get the colors that I thought I would like, but when you want to use a certain color and make a card NOW and you don't have all the tools, it can be very frustrating. I took a few months and got all of the pads and then the markers by getting one color family at a time. THe thing that I love about SU - you can get all 48 colors at once, or by family or by itself for most items. I didn't buy all of the markers at one time and I don't miss having a case at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

I think markers are a more affordable way to get every color (cause I don't really care for spots). That way you can slowly build your ink pad collection.

(The TAC starter kit actually only comes with one ink pad- black- but that doesn't mean all my images are black right now! I color on the stamp for ink!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to mariewick

I would go for the markes first. I do have the crayons and I love them but those you can collect when you want. My markers I would die without them! Coloring in the small stamps and using them like someone mentioned before like a green stem and maybe a purple flower. I would also agree on getting paper! you'd be surprised how fast you go through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I tried pastels, watercolor pencils etc......ended up with good old markers, in all of my favorite colors........trust me....this is what you want a good color selection in. The chalk, etc...you can mix and match....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the markers! I got them with my second SU! order and it was so wonderful to have all the colors at once without having to buy all the stamp pads...I think they are my most used SU! purchase in the two years I've been buying from the company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I guess I have to disagree with the OPs. I would pick a color family of Classic Pads. Since the seasons coming up are Fall and Winter I would choose either Earth Elements or Rich Regals. These are much more versatile to work with than the markers. You would be surprised what you can do with just ink pads. The spots have their place, but to me, those are for later. You can watercolor or use blender pens, omitting and many other things. You may want to purchase the markers to go with the stamp pads for the first purchase. This is what I did and it helped a bunch with sales down the road. I slowly acquired the other color families as the seasons changed, but according to my budget. HTH

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I agree, get them even before all of the stamp pads.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first started as a demo, I had all the spots. I loved these for their convenience, their cost, and the ability to tote them to and from workshops without hurting my precious larger pads I was collecting. I think for the money, they are so worth it! As for the markers, I bought the BB and SS in their family sets...I LOVE THEM! I use them all the time!! Sometimes, when I'm super duper lazy, I just grab them instead of getting out all my pads, cleaner, scrubber, etc. You can also use them to color on the backside of vellum for a softer effect...color in stamps with multiple colors...color in images once stamped...journaling with the thin tip...or if you're super anal like me and you make a boo-boo, you can use the thin or broad tip to fill in a messed up spot (like if you didn't press hard enough or get enough ink on a certain spot)...the uses are endless! It's not like you save that much buying them all together (in fact, I don't think you save anything), although the marker case would be nice! I second that being a newbie demo, you'll want other supplies first like paper, adhesive, simple embellishments, etc. You can always start a marker club with a group of ladies or get the markers yourself with hostess bennies, or at least money towards them. HTH! Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the markers...and just about every other coloring media! LOL! I use the markers the least of all. They come in handy on occasion, and I guess I'm glad I've got them, but I don't think I'd miss them much if I didn't.
I use my Prisma pencils and WW Crayons the most. I hated coloring before I got my Prismas....just never liked the look of the markers at all for coloring in an image! Looks like I'm in the minority, though![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I love my markers and I use them a lot! I bought them with my first order
(30% off) 3 years ago and I'm glad I did. I use them for everything including faux stitching, adding a second color to solid stamps (more precise than rock n roll) and omitting parts or words of a certain stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Ok, where's the edit button! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I love my markers but I'd have to agree with some of the posters when saying that I use my WWC and Prismacolor pencils more for coloring. The markers are great for omitting or making parts of the stamp certain colors.

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

�What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Markers!!!!!! Good idea to get them on your first order with the 30% discount.
I use mine all, all, all the time. For direct to stamp, omitting, coloring images, signing the inside of cards to coordinate, signing the back by the copyright stamp. Couldn't live without them.
In 3 1/2 years as a demo, I have only replaced the ones that went with the new colors.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

In would definitely go for the markers! I have the full set and use them all the time, I would be lost w/o them.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe you could just get one color family of markers and one of crayons to start. That way you will have them both to demonstrate without investing a lot initally. I only have 3 markers as I just buy individually when I need for a project. I have personally only use the markers for writing in cards. I do have all of the crayons and use them all of the time, I just prefer that more blended look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVE the markers!!! I bought them one color family at a time. I wish now that I would have got them all at once so that they would all be in one place with that great case. I love coloring in images with them! As others have said they are great for stamps. I also have the color spritzer too; headed my way tomorrow and can't wait to use the markers with that! Thay are a great buy - you will not be sorry and at 30% off too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use my markers all the time. Either to color different areas different colors on stamps or I use them with my aqua painter (I scribble marker onto a stamp case, then lift the color off with my aqua painter). I don't have all the stamp pads, so having all the marker colors has been great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

I was fortunate enough to get my markers in a SU donation box for my Girl Scout troop. I totally love them!! I have been putting off ordering the newer colors in markers, but I kick myself everytime I don't order them. I like them to ink up certain parts of stamps, signing the back of the cards, addressing my envelopes, etc. I use my watercolor crayons for coloring in stamped images, but I use markers for just about everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the markers, all the classic pads, all the craft spots, the pastels came in my starter kit, and I just bought 3 families of WWC in my first demo order. Wow, that sounds like way too much when I put it all out there! LOL I use the classic pads the most, and the craft spots for scrapbooking and other special effects. I haven't touched the pastels. I haven't had a chance to play with my 2-day-old WWC. :-)

I am surprised that I use the markers as much as I do. I find that I use them in some way every time I stamp. Whether it's for omitting or coloring right on the stamps, or for touching up a little spot in the stamped image, I use them quite often.

I don't use the markers as much for coloring as I thought I would. That's originally why I got them. But as others have said, there are better methods of coloring in. I find I use the markers for the little touches that really make a card work.

It's a tough choice, and so very individual. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

The markers were not one of the first things I bought but they should have been. I love them and use them all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Absolutely - get them! Just last week, I wanted to make something - took me forever to come up with the colors and design - cut all the paper, went to grab the ink pads and it dawned on me that I don't own a Really Rust pad. Luckily, I have all the markers though and was able to color directly on the stamp! I was still able to complete the project without having to start all over. (Or this could just be a good lesson for better planning!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I were in your shoes, and had the $$$ to do it, I would get 'em! I love my markers and use 'em all the time! Have fun placing that 30% off order!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my markers. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get them. I use them all the time.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really wanted all the markers when i first started, too, but just couldn't bring myself to spend all that money, lol! So right after I joined, I started a marker club. I had three other gals and we just took turns for four months; one would get the case along with her 1/4 of the markers each month, until we all had the full set and a case to keep them in. It was a much less painful way to get them, since my instant income from the order (we had a minimum order so each month's order would qualify for hostess benefits) pretty much paid for my share...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

I once went to a friend's house to make cards. I brought along my markers, and I was amazed at how versatile they were. You don't need *any* ink pads if you have markers and patience. You can color in any stamp with the markers, huff, and stamp. I made several cards using Island Blossoms and markers only.

I also like using my markers for coloring, and for watercoloring -- scribble on an old CD and go!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I really wanted all the markers when i first started, too, but just couldn't bring myself to spend all that money, lol! So right after I joined, I started a marker club. I had three other gals and we just took turns for four months; one would get the case along with her 1/4 of the markers each month, until we all had the full set and a case to keep them in. It was a much less painful way to get them, since my instant income from the order (we had a minimum order so each month's order would qualify for hostess benefits) pretty much paid for my share...
I did exactly as Betsy did. It was painless. Now that I am able to show the markers, I also have customers who are interested in purchasing them and new clubs are great for them (and for me). As a brand new demo, I invested in all the pads one color family at a time. In those families where I had duplicates, the new pads became hostess gifts.

I appreciate being able to ink a big stamp in one swoop v. coloring with markers. JMHO

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 03:15 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

A few weeks ago I was debating whether to buy all the markers or just a few - well, I went ahead and bought the entire set, and I am NOT sorry I did. They are AWESOME! Made me look at some of my stamps in a whole new way now that I can color them with my markers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

I only wish I had bought the marker set BEFORE I bought all the stamp pads.... I use them each and every time I sit down to stamp. I also have the watercolor pencils and watercolor crayons, which don't see the light of day quite as much as the markers. And frankly love being able to leave the markers in their nice box on my desk to simply reach out for a color anytime I need one.

Oh yeah, and I purchased mine in a 4 month marker club with my SU demo. Was the best club I joined! And I have been in many with her. The marker club was outstanding --- although I often added to my order during those months....lol....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

I'm in the majority: I use my markers all the time. I agree with everything that's been written herein---so many multiple uses for the markers. I especially like to use them to coordinate my handwriting on the inside of the card.
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Smile Markers

I love my Markers too! I decided to get the markers instead of all of the ink pads, and it works for all but backgrounds. If you really don't want to invest the money, I went to Wal-Mart and bought the 72 pack of Rose-Art Colored Pencils, and some Gamsol. I think it was under $10 and it colors items in nicely too! Just some advice!

Kelly :0)
Reply With Quote Likes