Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

So I think my biggest tip is: patience. Another tip is to try to not become a collector � I think that's a dangerous psychological place to be because it really never ends. And the thrill is in the hunt and the getting, not necessarily the having and the using. I'm just too practical � if the item does not have multiple uses, I usually won't buy it.

I sure wish I could get this self-control. I have TOTALLY become a "collector" !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post

Oh, and I delete all e-mails advertising sales without even opening them. If I don't know about it, I certainly don't need it.
I went farther and deleted the company newsletter emails. In their attempt to try to entice me to buy more of their products they made pests of themselves with far too many emails. So I dumped them .
I realize I may miss out on some sales for things I don't need :-D

If I want something I know where to find them

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-05-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

I just became an SU Demo after years of buying their product. I've been stamping since the early 90s and have a room absolutely stuffed to the gills with product. Now, since I have minumums to meet quarterly to remain active, I know most of my crafting $$ will go towards SU product. It's actually really changed my mindset about buying. I don't run to Michaels or Hobby Lobby "just to get one thing" because I know I need to save that money for my SU orders. So I'm still spending, but probably less overall and its much more focused.

I've also joined Stamp from your Stash and Scrap from your Stash challenges in the past. I think it's really fun to go through what you have and USE it. I don't know why, but it gives me greater satisfaction to make a card with a product that has been languishing in my craft room than if I made it with something that I just bought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I'm backwards - I tend to buy less if I make lots of visits to Joanns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby - the three of them in my town take less than 5 minutes to drive to all three, and that's allowing time for stoplights! If I make lots of visits, I get kind of burned out and don't think I need things so much

Amazon without Prime - be sure to check other sellers for your item. I have found quite often that the original search result is fulfilled by Amazon at such and such a price with free shipping over $35 - but if you look at the other offers, you'll find the item for the same price and free shipping without needing to spend $35. Some of the other sellers take a little longer to ship, but how fast do you really need it anyway?

My best strategy is to wait for 6 months after a new gotta-have-it tool comes out. If I still want it after that time, I let myself get it. It's surprising how seldom I really still want it. When new tools come out, everyone thinks they are the be all end all of crafting. 6 months later, most of them aren't using it anymore because they're on to the next big thing. I know I saved myself a bundle on the I-Top brad thing and all the accessories with this strategy

One last thing - most stamp companies policies don't allow electronic reproduction, so scanning them into your computer and using the printouts instead of the stamps is a violation of their copyright/angel policy/license agreement. If you normally only make cards for family members, it's unlikely that you'll be hunted down by the copyright police, but if you sell them you might want to be careful. It would be a real downer if the companies that make the scan and cut function cutters had to disable that function because of a lawsuit by a stamp company. Likely? Probably not - but possible.
A lot of stamp companies have free cut files or inexpensive ones. A person is not using the stamped images but the machine makes a cut file of the outline so you stamp onto the cutout. So you aren't really using the photo/scanned image.
This works wonderfully with the Misti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently returned to crafting after a two-year hiatus. I've come back with a different view of my craft supplies. My craft space is teeny tiny and my income extremely limited. So, I'm taking a new approach to purchasing craft supplies.

1) A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place: This goes against my nature, but I'm doing my best to use this mantra while organizing my craft space. I'm culling years of craft cr@p and creating designated spaces for the stuff I will keep. I gifted my extras to a few ladies without funds to buy craft supplies. Over the years, I've had people bless me. This time, it felt so good to be the one doing the blessing!

2) No more bargain hunting: A 75% off stamp set is not a bargain if it goes unused.

3) My craft wish book: I write down my most-wanted craft items in a small spiral notebook. Not every cute stamp or handy gadget gets listed, but only the things that I can't seem to get out of my head. For instance, I've done several projects where I cursed myself for not buying a Corner Chomper. I also keep drooling over SU's Open Sea stamps and cards that others have made using the set, so both of those items are in my notebook.

4) Save creatively: Recycling money goes into my craft fund. If I'm running errands and think about eating out, but instead go home and rummage through the fridge for my meal, I'll reward myself $5. Last month, I paid myself $20 for losing 5 pounds. (No, I'm not giving back $4 for that pound I regained last week!) Loose change gets dropped in my purse and I occasionally dig it out and put it in my craft fund. (You'd be surprised how quickly this adds up!)

5) Ask questions:
Is this item listed in my notebook? If not, then I probably should take time to consider if I really want or need it. How will I use it? Will I use it more than a few times? Is it too similar to something I already own? Do I have room in my designated space? If not, what am I willing to give up to make room?

6) Finally, I try not to feel guilty when I treat myself. For years I bought "bargains" but would rarely allow myself to buy something I really wanted. That's changed. I have given myself permission to spend money, without guilt, on something I really want so long as I follow my plan.

I should probably print out my post and put it up on the wall to help me stick to my plan. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
(Did you know that junk mail makes great cardstock?)
OK. This grabbed me. How do you use the junk mail? Are you painting it with Gesso?

I did see a YouTube video where a woman used junk mail envelopes to create a memory album. She had all kinds of pockets and envelopes that she bound into a book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #47  
Crimping Master

I thank all of you for your posts. I've spotted a couple of flaws in my thinking that I was not aware of. These flaws were making it impossible for me to enjoy the craft without constantly buying stuff. I am looking at this situation in a new light.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and thoughts with all of us. It's been a big help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree to deleting company emails and their address to buy things. I also watch Create and Craft (the home shopping craft channel) but never buy till the next day, by then I know if I really need this item. So far I have not bought from them. I also wait to buy an item till I am sure I will use it. Example: the envelope maker. I could make my own by cutting apart an envelope, tracing, cutting and gluing. But I did buy it and really use it a lot. Still thinking about the corner chomper. Sure as I buy it, it will no longer be needed. Buying on impulse or to impress is a bad thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
A lot of stamp companies have free cut files or inexpensive ones. A person is not using the stamped images but the machine makes a cut file of the outline so you stamp onto the cutout. So you aren't really using the photo/scanned image.
This works wonderfully with the Misti!
I've seen that done with the MISTI, and it works great! And you are still using the stamp for the image, so that's all cool.

But earlier in the thread, one of the suggestions was to scan your stamps into your print & cut program and then sell the stamps because you won't need them anymore. That's where the copyright problems come in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #50  
Crimping Master

I just found this while reading my morning news. I had to laugh. Who knew there was help right around the corner in an app?

You can now kick your spending habits in the butt with the Stopping Overshopping Text Messaging Program.

Launched in April, the program, which costs $24.95, now has 30 users and is growing by the day. After signing up, you receive two text messages a day, one generic that relates to 80 percent of overshoppers and the second is tailored to the individual user, based on their survey responses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #51  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I just found this while reading my morning news. I had to laugh. Who knew there was help right around the corner in an app?

You can now kick your spending habits in the butt with the Stopping Overshopping Text Messaging Program.

Launched in April, the program, which costs $24.95, now has 30 users and is growing by the day. After signing up, you receive two text messages a day, one generic that relates to 80 percent of overshoppers and the second is tailored to the individual user, based on their survey responses.
Oh my word!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

OK. This grabbed me. How do you use the junk mail? Are you painting it with Gesso?
Sometimes I use Gesso, especially for Gelli printing. I also use it for collage cards. I get my backgrounds from magazine ads, but you could also use any type of paper (or fabric) that needs extra stiffness.

I cut the junk mail to 4-3/4 x 6-1/4" because I use Hobby Lobby's pre-folded 5 x 6-1/2" cards. So the design goes on the junk mail, and then I can just slap it onto a card and it's ready to go.

Oh, and I also use the insides of microwave meal boxes. Excellent cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #53  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Managing my crafting budget.........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

can't even reply.....to busy laughing!!!! And hiding my stash...I am hoarding...I mean crafting supplies ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #54  
Glitter Queen

when I started reading this post, I thought I could have written it. I've had a pretty good month so far with no buying anything scrapbook/stamping related. I would have some months where I bought hundreds, yes I said hundreds, of dollars of stuff - stuff I didn't need, but I fell for the marketing or seeing how someone used something and loved it, and thought I would too! So I'm pretty excited to see the CC bill this month and it should be small!! Do I feel guilty? Darn right I do. Funny how I would poopoo spending $30 for a piece of clothing, then spend $75 on a site to get free shipping. I am weeding out and sold some stuff at a rummage sale this summer and am busy sorting through for next summer. For me, I really think it is a sickness - I am not an addict for cigarettes or booz - but let me at those stamps and paper!! Anyway, I am working on looking at all my stuff and asking myself, do I really like this or not? Then try not to feel too guilty that I wasted money on it. Trying to sell a few items, but I realize that money is gone and I will never get what it's worth, but at this point, I get excited over every $$ recouped. Long story short, I think I will buy some adhesive when I run out, but that's about it. And y es, stay away from on-line favorite spots that suck me right in!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

This thread (a big thanks to the person who posted instructions) has enabled me to seperate all the shopping site emails announcing sales of this and that into a folder called PROMOTIONS. And I never see them any more.

Tossed SU catalog in wood stove without looking.

I was about to purchase paper on sale last night, and I kept deleting items out of my cart, and trying to justifying the rest of it... and I closed the site and walked away.

This might be a muscle of sorts. The more I exercise it, the stronger my willpower is. This is actually getting easier the more I practice walking away from the cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

This thread (a big thanks to the person who posted instructions) has enabled me to seperate all the shopping site emails announcing sales of this and that into a folder called PROMOTIONS. And I never see them any more.

Tossed SU catalog in wood stove without looking.

I was about to purchase paper on sale last night, and I kept deleting items out of my cart, and trying to justifying the rest of it... and I closed the site and walked away.

This might be a muscle of sorts. The more I exercise it, the stronger my willpower is. This is actually getting easier the more I practice walking away from the cart.

GOOD FOR YOU!! It isn't easy making such a turn around. But you have the determination and your original wishes for change were clearly deeply rooted and intentional. Many people 'wish' they could do something about an issue but haven't the fortitude to do what needs to be done to make it happen.

So I commend you and also thank you for the inspiration that can be drawn from your example
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

I stopped craft shopping for a good 5 years. No more email subscriptions. No more just to look in stores or online. Hunkered down and just forced myself to use what I already have. Created kits out of what I have. I have A LOT. I don't need anymore. It's hard in the beginning, but then it gets easier. I had other financial goals and stuck to those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #58  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
GOOD FOR YOU!! It isn't easy making such a turn around. But you have the determination and your original wishes for change were clearly deeply rooted and intentional. Many people 'wish' they could do something about an issue but haven't the fortitude to do what needs to be done to make it happen.

So I commend you and also thank you for the inspiration that can be drawn from your example
Like my mother used to say, "If you can't be a good role model, you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since my husband and I have set a financial goal to be able to pay cash for a home in a few years, crafty spending has to come way down. I look for stamps at goodwill, rummage sale or mighty dollar. I am well stocked on paper, and ink pads for next 8 years. I trade stamped images with friends, then I have something "new" to play with and won't buy it. I no longer buy stickers or washi. That stuff multiplies and then takes over craft space. No emails to lure me into buying. Only carry cash if I go into craft shop. And use coupons always. No impulse buying!Sell stuff I am no longer use. Cute stuff, seeing a card online always gets me wanting that crafty item. So I tell myself make that craft with what you have. It's very hard not to buy it all. I throw change into a mason jar, and that is my craft money. But a home paid for in full makes me a lot happier than crafty stuff. And I can hear my Mom say " Don't spend your money on stupid stuff, if you want that house"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #60  
Cardstock Collector

I Buy Dollarstore cardstock and they sometimes have really pretty clear stamps if a shop went out of business. There are a lot of dupes from well known brand names wich are in most cases well worth to look at. Cutting dies I try to look at different outlet stores as well. I try to stick to them timeless dies and embossing folders. As you can update that with season colors. I still struggle with cost on inkpads though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

The job situation here has been up and down the past couple of years. I have almost stop buying. When we moved a year ago July I packed unopened bags of craft supplies. I knew then I had a problem. I stopped buying, well almost - a Misti and the new TH inks. I discovered quite a few items when I unpacked as well. I am ashamed to say I think 95% of my stamps are uninked. The only paper I have been buying is Graphic 45 and I have been able to go a few released without a purchase. For the rest of this year and 2016 I am resolving to ink every stamp, get rid of duplicates, and use as much DS and cardstock paper as possible without buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I did see a YouTube video where a woman used junk mail envelopes to create a memory album. She had all kinds of pockets and envelopes that she bound into a book.
This brought up lovely memories. While going through my Mom's things this month, we found many scraps of papers and envelopes with writing all over them. Some were journal type entries, other's lists etc.
Reply With Quote Likes