Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make a Living Stamping???

Anyone here that honestly makes a living from stamping/scrapping? Or selling a particular line of supplies? My husband died 21 months ago and I took on a new career selling insurance, but it just is not working for me, I love scrapping and stamping and wonder if anyone truly can make a living at this craft? It's been a while since I've been on splitcoast and thought I could turn back to my old favorite site and pose this question.

Any inuput or your thoughts would be great, I truly appreciate it.

God Bless,

Mary D

I have a small blog (take a peek)

Join the best RAK Club around....
:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first Mary I want to say I am so sorry for your loss.

I do not dedicate all my time to Stampin' so I can not honestly answer your question. I think there are people that can and do it. I sell Stampin' Up! and now is a great time to sign up. If you would like more information just let me know. I have a FAQ sheet that I can email you about signing on with Stampin' Up! I think it is something you would have to work with and build up your business. But you can definitely make money at it. I just can't say how much, it all depends on how much you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry for your loss, Mary.

This is a topic that comes up from time to time at SCS and I think the usual consensus "no, not really". Selling SU! or another direct sales company's supplies is probably the closest you'll get and it takes a long time to build a business to a level where you're likely to be making real money (having a downline and so on). I don't know why you feel the insurance business is not working for you but you might want to do some soul searching about how you feel about selling before you decide to take the direct sales route since that's what the job really is, it's sales first and stamping second.

In terms of making income from actual stamping/scrapping there are options but like any craft, you're unlikely to make a bundle at it. You can sell items you make but I think most people find it hard to cover all the costs (materials, booth fees at fairs or selling fees for online outlets etc) and still have a decent return for the time they spent making the stuff. Teaching or demonstrating might be an option if you have those skills and can identify a demand in your area but again, it's unlikely to pull in a living income for you, just because it's not generally something you can find a full time outlet for. Worth talking to local stores about though if it's something you might feel you want to do.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue, hope you can find something that suits you and makes you happy.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an article in The Crafts Report that mentioned only a small percentage actually make a living with crafting.

Here are some highlights on my blog on this post:
http://www.seasidecreativity.com/?p=989

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know at least people who are successfully making a living selling - Markie's Mom of http://www.marksfinestpapers.com/servlet/StoreFront
and Nichole Heady of http://papertreyink.com/

Gina K too, of http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/main.sc (but she also draws - that's not just stamping/scrapping, so dunno if that counts here). Of course, if you can draw too, you can sell your own line of actual stamps or digistamps.

Markie's Mom (aka Faith Hofrichter) and Nichole Heady both have a huge online presence with blogs with huge followings. They both know how to whip out awesome cards in just moments AND they know how to photograph those awesome cards brilliantly. Apparently, both are also awesomely talented at marketing, advertising, etc...the business end of things. They both also seem to delegate things - both have awesome design teams and other people doing other business things like shipping, website maintenance, etc.

If you have the talent and the knowledge (oh, and the ENERGY) to do this, or you are not afraid of delegating to others, I think you could do it.

If you want to make a living selling a direct-marketing company's products, I think the same applies - you'd have to have the ability to crank out awesome card after awesome card and know how to dangle those in front of potential customers to turn them into adoring loyal customers. Anything helps - a blog combined with awesome photography skills, um... well, that's all I can come up with, seeing as how I myself am NOT making a living doing any of this... *grin*
Reply With Quote Likes