Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 828 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Magic Mat

Has anyone used a Magic Mat? I wonder if it really would improve cutting ability on a couple of older machines I keep at church for Card Ministry? Spellbinders and Big Shot.

I'm spoiled, because at home I have a wonderful machine that always cuts well with no shims ever needed. If these Magic Mats work, that would be great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Here is the discussion of this mat: Self-healing Magic Mat by Bahb at Splitcoaststampers

I own one for my Big Shot Plus. It helps, but I wanted to use my magnetic plate so I put it away.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
sc magnolia (01-28-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 01:53 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

I use mine in my Big Shot. It needed a shim for basic framelit cutting and I use one sheet of thick cs. It allows dies to be cleanly cut in one pass and the paper/cs pops right out of the die. I use a clear mat for the top layer and I don't use it for embossing folders. For detailed dies I use a precision cutting plate, the Sizzix Chrome. I don't know if the magic mats will save money over time but, so far, I'm glad I bought them.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lutheran:
LizSwickley (01-29-2022), pepperann (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:01 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 828 Likes on 336 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I use mine in my Big Shot. It needed a shim for basic framelit cutting and I use one sheet of thick cs. It allows dies to be cleanly cut in one pass and the paper/cs pops right out of the die. I use a clear mat for the top layer and I don't use it for embossing folders. For detailed dies I use a precision cutting plate, the Sizzix Chrome. I don't know if the magic mats will save money over time but, so far, I'm glad I bought them.
Mary Beth
Thanks Mary Beth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I bought one, and I wasn't very impressed. I needed a shim, the mat warped, and the cut marks don't "heal." I've tried the straightening technique that SB.com recommended, but it is very temporary. The next time I used it, it was warped again.

I guess it's a good alternative if you can't find replacement plates, or to have on hand in case one of your plates breaks or warps badly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love them. I was skeptical at first. My BS gets heavy use from card-making classes I hold. My customers/attendees are a variety of age and skill sets, and of course after several class sessions, these mats can warp. So about once a month, or as needed, I follow the instructions to resolve, and it works like a charm. The instructions don't mention cleaning, but before I start I clean the mats with a silicone scrubbie, warm water and mild dish soap to get out the little bits of paper that cling in the cut marks. I don't soak them, just use running water for as short a time as I can to get out the bits. They say they are self-healing, but what I see is that the cuts mostly close up where I can feel with my fingernail and see the little marks, but they don't get in the way or cause another die to catch in it. Keeping the mats clean and cutting all over the surface really helps. I clean them regularly even when they are not warping. Then I dry off the mats and set aside while I get my heat gun, and oh yes, a hair dryer will work too use up to a medium heat. It took about 10-15 minutes with me moving my heat gun (on high) over the surface, pressing down the mat with my hand to flatten, flipping over and repeating the process on the other side. I did this a few times, back and forth between the two sides, and before long, it was flat. I think you really have to get it heated to the core for it to work best. I put the now flat mat my counter and set something heavy on it, like the BS or a heavy binder, then leave it to cool completely. I pick it up later and it's good to go!

I use a mat on top of the thick Sizzix magnetic base with a clear plate on top. I've had the mats for about 6 months now and am very happy with them. Yes, I have lots of fine marks but they are spread over the full surface of the mats, not just in the middle. I think part of the secret to any of the mats and plates is to cut ALL OVER the surface area, not just in the middle. Repeatedly cutting in the middle seems to warp them quicker. Once your bottom mat or clear plate starts to warp, it can cause the top clear plate to warp too. Rotating/flipping the mat and clear plates regularly, and having the stack of clear plate, mat and base lined up properly (side to side, end to end with nothing hanging out) also helps minimize warping.

You're cutting into them.....they WILL warp. I do what I can to slow that process.

Last edited by dcmauch; 01-29-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dcmauch:
ChrisO (01-29-2022), kazeka (02-01-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcmauchView Post
I love them. I was skeptical at first. My BS gets heavy use from card-making classes I hold. My customers/attendees are a variety of age and skill sets, and of course after several class sessions, these mats can warp. So about once a month, or as needed, I follow the instructions to resolve, and it works like a charm. The instructions don't mention cleaning, but before I start I clean the mats with a silicone scrubbie, warm water and mild dish soap to get out the little bits of paper that cling in the cut marks. I don't soak them, just use running water for as short a time as I can to get out the bits. They say they are self-healing, but what I see is that the cuts mostly close up where I can feel with my fingernail and see the little marks, but they don't get in the way or cause another die to catch in it. Keeping the mats clean and cutting all over the surface really helps. I clean them regularly even when they are not warping. Then I dry off the mats and set aside while I get my heat gun, and oh yes, a hair dryer will work too use up to a medium heat. It took about 10-15 minutes with me moving my heat gun (on high) over the surface, pressing down the mat with my hand to flatten, flipping over and repeating the process on the other side. I did this a few times, back and forth between the two sides, and before long, it was flat. I think you really have to get it heated to the core for it to work best. I put the now flat mat my counter and set something heavy on it, like the BS or a heavy binder, then leave it to cool completely. I pick it up later and it's good to go!

I use a mat on top of the thick Sizzix magnetic base with a clear plate on top. I've had the mats for about 6 months now and am very happy with them. Yes, I have lots of fine marks but they are spread over the full surface of the mats, not just in the middle. I think part of the secret to any of the mats and plates is to cut ALL OVER the surface area, not just in the middle. Repeatedly cutting in the middle seems to warp them quicker. Once your bottom mat or clear plate starts to warp, it can cause the top clear plate to warp too. Rotating/flipping the mat and clear plates regularly, and having the stack of clear plate, mat and base lined up properly (side to side, end to end with nothing hanging out) also helps minimize warping.

You're cutting into them.....they WILL warp. I do what I can to slow that process.
That sounds like way too much work for me. Not being judgmental. I'm glad you've found a process that works for you, and that you're happy with the mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2022, 11:05 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries. It doesn't seem like anything more than usual tool-related maintenance to me, and I just remind myself of the money I'm saving on clear plates! haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 871 Likes on 519 Posts

I bought them, and didn't care all that much for them. They do warp. Now if I didn't have any plates, that might be a different story. But I am not planning on buying them again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2022, 02:18 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

Hmmm. Mine has not warped at all. Maybe rotate it more? The cut marks don't bother me, they do not feel as rough as the cut marks on the clear plastic plates.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Interesting reading about these mats, as I've wondered about them. My BS cutting mats warp and have cut marks all over them, because I use them A LOT. However, I just keep flipping them, and trying to cut all over the surface in order to spread the pressure. I get a lot of use out of my regular cutting plates before I end up replacing them, and always have one or two sets stored away. I don't replace both plates at once, but just the one with all the warping and cut marks. From the sound of these reviews, I don't think I'll spring for a Magic Mat yet.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes