Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Colored Pencil - Whatcha Think?

To all you ladies who bought the Prismacolor pencils and have tried the Magic Colored Pencil technique, what are your thoughts? I played a little bit tonight and thought it was okay and had a hard time figuring out what all the brew ha ha is....

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

i haven't busted open my 120 pack but I played a little with my 24 pack. I like it because I am a bad colorer and it helps to get rid of those little lines that i always live

but my stuff sure didn't come out like Lana's or PrincessInks.

i guess i just have to keep practicing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Got all the stuff, but haven't even tried it yet. :oops:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I REALLY like how the technique turns out personally.

I did a couple tests of comparing it other techniques: watercoloring, watercolor pencils and the blender pen.

The technique works a lot like the watercolor pencils and blender pen, but the color blending is so smooth with the magic colored pencil technique. I could still see pencil marks where I colored with the blender and watercolor pencils and I find that if I use blenders too much they will tear my paper up some.

With the watercoloring it's just a completely different look to me, so I have to decide what look I am going for when I decide how I am going to color.

Anyhow, the technique itself can be a little putzy, but I like doing that kind of thing - I stamp up pages at a time of images and then color away.

It's like with everything.. some people will like it and some people might not!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just a couple of things that I've learned over the years on using this technique. Make sure you're using the right blending stump. The solid kind that are called blending stumps work better because they don't bend or break. You can also sharpen these down to a point. Keep an emery board or sanding block to keep them clean and to rough up the tip (sometimes the tip gets shiny and you will notice it just squeaks on the paper and doesn't move the color around). When you're coloring in your image with the Prismacolor pencils don't press too hard or you will dig the color into the paper. I just apply the color to the outer edges of the image. Then in a small circular motion start working the color in toward the center of the image with your blending stump dipped in the Gamsol. Sometimes you really have to rub hard in order to move the color around. Don't worry no matter how hard you rub your paper won't tear. You can also remove some color with a white vinyl eraser or pink eraser. Large open images work better then very fine detailed images. Have a Heart, Toucan of my Love, On the Farm are some of the sets that are great for this technique. Stamps with too much stippling or shading wouldn't show up the colors as well. Not to say that you can't use it, it just looks better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

thanks for posting the tips on this technique! I bought the supplies the other day & now I am going to experiment with them tomorrow ...yippie
I do love to color :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was so excited to get these pencils, but I think I'm a little intimidated by this huge beautiful box of 120 brand new pencils! And the whole mineral spirits thing...yikes.

I'll just have to play some this weekend!! Thanks for the tips.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default Gamsol technique

I only bought a package of 6 pencils, I'm just a chicken. I need to jump right in there and play with this a little bit. I've been so impressed by the examples in the gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 04:06 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the tips princessink. I need to play around a bit more with it I think. I was using Seaside Sketches last night with the technique and maybe those images are not open enough? I did like how I could shade in the waves tho - looked very cool.

Oh yeah, also ladies I found that some of my pencils lead broke! I figured it might be the sharpener I was using but I'm not sure. Still have to figure that one out....

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 04:48 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyandtheStamp
Thanks for the tips princessink. I need to play around a bit more with it I think. I was using Seaside Sketches last night with the technique and maybe those images are not open enough? I did like how I could shade in the waves tho - looked very cool.

Oh yeah, also ladies I found that some of my pencils lead broke! I figured it might be the sharpener I was using but I'm not sure. Still have to figure that one out....

Karen
I called Sanford on Wednesday and their customer relations department told me to send the pencils that did this (and are about 2-3 inches shorter than the others) to them, attn: Consumer Relations and they will replace those pencils.

I tried this technique out and it's works geat. Very pretty shading and blending. I'm so glad I got them. I love to color, so this is perfect for me.
Reply With Quote Likes