Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for Ideas for organizing my SU Sets

I just finished making a notebook with all my stamp sets stamped and put in alphabetic order. I have a cabnet with shelves and I want to put my sets in
some sort of easy to maintain order. I was thinking about numbering the sets and putting them on the shelves them in box size stacks. Numbers would be noted on the sets page in the notebook and on the boxes.
Then I was thinking of sorting them by catagories ie: Flowers, halloween etc.
Please tell me how yours are organized if you use catagories what ones do you use and how did you set it up. What other ways are there to organize SU sets?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend stores all her stamps by numbers, and like you mentioned has them cat. in a "master" book, this works very well for her, she also uses a color dot system to identify current sets apart from retired sets.
I organize mine my catagory.. Christmas, nature, words & alphabets, backgrounds etc. I label the shelf so even if I have a guest using stamps { or teenager} they know where to put them back, and I never have to dig through a stack looking for a zoo set, because I know that it is in the animal stack KWIM! I have 4 sets of upper cabinets full of stamps and I always know where each one is, that is a real tme saver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you!!
I appreciate your answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i also have mine stamped and 'cataloged' in a binder.

mine are sorted by box size, then alphabetically.

my alpha sets are stored separately and so are my backgrounders.

i have stickers to note retired, hostess, SAB and sentiment sets.

here is a picture... if you'd like to take a look. (mine isn't a fancy space but i LOVE it!)
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Ideas for organizing my SU Sets-img_7266.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

here is a picture... if you'd like to take a look. (mine isn't a fancy space but i LOVE it!)
YOur space looks pretty fancy to me! It's awesome!

In response to the original poster - I keep my sets alphabetically sorted. Sometimes a "theme" set like birthday or mother's day will have an awesome stamp that can be used for something else. I find it I put them together by theme then I don't get as much use out of them.

I also have a binder with a stamp set stamped on each page and sorted alphabetically. That way I can flip through the book (although now I have two of them!) and look for a certain stamp that I just know I have but can't remember what set it belongs to.

My next plan is to make a spreadsheet with all my sentiments and sayings and which set they belong to so that when I just need some words I can find them easily. Good luck with your project.

Do you think we have too many stamps? Never mind! What a silly question!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have numbered mine and also have a catalog in a binder. I just started this and have'nt finished stamping my binder. My only problem so far has been if I shelf them in numerical order then the box sizes will be mixed up. I keep the number on the boxes and then I write the numer on each stamp for that set. When I do classes sometimes I mix up the sets and this allows me to easily find its home. I also keep track of how many are in a set so I know if one is missing.

So I may have to shelf them like they are split in the catalog or find another way.... I remember the days when I only had a few sets to worry about
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #7  

I WISH I had started a binder when I started stamping. SOME of us were too excited to get started to be organized. SOME of us are now looking at our sets, thinking of starting a binder, and saying :(.

I have my sets in the categories in the catalog. Each category is on its own shelf, except my backgrounds, which are on the wall (I stole this TERRIFIC idea from someone on this site--have no idea who, but kudos for a great idea!) on brick molding from Lowe's. DH was happy to cut the molding and nail it to the wall...:twisted:

Once the stamps are in categories, I sort them by box size.

That's it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a binder system, and have almost all of my stamps unmounted and stored in CD cases. I simply scan the CD full of stamps and then copy the scan as many times as needed. I place one copy in the CD case, and then put other copies in my binder in whatever category it fits. So for instance, if I have a set that has a flower, heart, and a saying appropriate for a sympathy card, I would have it in my binder in the nature and bug section, love section, sympathy section, and in the sentiment section. I loved the way the category sections were working, but the sentiments were driving me crazy. I am just re-doing that section of the binder, and I already think it is going to work great.

What I have done is to cut out the saying image from my CD copies. I sat and brainstormed possible saying categories, ie; thank you, sympathy, fall, etc. I came up with 28 or 29 categories. I then put a 31 day divider tabs thing in my binder with an index on the first page. I placed each of the stamp images in the appropriate section or sections. So if it it is a good graduation sentiment, but also fit in the quotes section, it would go in both places.

All of my stamps have a little card in the binder that lists anything I want to know about the set. I list the name of the set, or the name that I gave the CD, how many pieces it has, which other section I have it filed it in the binder, etc. I have my CDs stored alphabetically in IKEA CD tower bookcases. It took awhile to set up, but it is very easy to maintain. I just took it slow and it wasn't difficult. You know you can eat an elephant, as long as you do it one bite at a time! This system is easy to use and is organized. I love it! Good luck with whatever organizational system you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I too have a binder with stamped images from most of my sets -- what I have started to do, though, is when I get new stamp sets, before I cut up the labels to put on the blocks, I photocopy the label sheet -- that way I don't have to stamp anything!

If that makes sense.

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks everyone!!! I just finished my Binder..89 sets I will make sure I copy those stickers EVERY time I get I new set!!!! When I started this project I had 35 sets that I needed to cut and mount. I thought about going unmounted but I really like SU sets
to be mounted the way they were intended. I have them all on the floor just waiting
to go back into my cabnet. I'm leaning toward just plain ol' numbers by box size...
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Wow! So organized and neat! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

Everything in clamshells-- all clamshells labeled with white tape and black lettering
all sentiments only sets on top shelf and small sets of all kinds finish out the shelf
all house mouse stamps in clamshells stacked together, all wildlife stacked together,
all snowmen stacked together, all Halloween together, all Thanksgiving together --you get the drift
as for the others that I have,,,,all the flowery things together, all the backgrounds tucked in where I can---things that are seasonal have the season on the label if the title doesn't do it for me......
then I have them stamped in a binder for carrying to stores with sentiments from all sets stamped on pages for what they fit and set they are from noted.
It works for me but could probably be streamlined some.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You have all inspired me to make a catalog of my stamps now, yay...is it sad that I'm excited about it, haha!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

mine are by categories. then stacked by box size. I also used colored dots for the categories so they can go back easily with their stack mates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #15  

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a good idea to mark whether they're SAB, hostess, retired, etc. I never thought of that, but it could come in handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
You have all inspired me to make a catalog of my stamps now, yay...is it sad that I'm excited about it, haha!
You will not regret it! Check back after you get it made and let us know what you think.
Annie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i love the idea of having a binder- it's very easy to forget what i have. it must be very handy to look through when looking for ideas! but, with as many sets as i have now, it's a pretty overwhelming thought to start now! maybe for a summer project....

what kind of paper do you use? cardstock or just plain ol' paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I actually use a combination of things. Since I scan the stamps instead of stamping each one, and then having to clean them etc., I find this is pretty easy to set up.

I have purchased large binders ( I think they are 2" rings) and photo album refill pages. I bought my pages at WalMart. I use two sizes. The sizes are for 5 by 7 photos, and 4 by 6 photos. The 5 by 7 size has two pockets and a place to slide in the card with the set name etc. You can file 4 set pictures, by using 2 on one side and 2 on the back side. The 4 by 6 has 3 pockets. I use them for smaller sets, or a group of my individual stamps. For the sentiment section I purchased the photo sheets that are like the old photo albums we used to all have. They have a white cardboard piece that has sticky stuff on it, and a plastic covering that you peel back, place your image and then cover again. I hope that makes sense!;)

The album pages were all very easy to find for awhile, but a few months back a couple of the local WMs stopped stocking the 5 by 7 size. They said they could easily order them if you give them the order number. The number is RF1591 SKU # 50807 03159, if you are interested. I have found similar pages at Hobby Lobby, but they were quite a bit more expensive.

Deciding to make this binder was the smartest stamping decision I have ever made. My girls think it is great. It makes looking for a certain stamp so easy, and you can quickly see all of your stamps at one time. If you're like me, you will not regret taking the time to make a binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by duranfanView Post
i love the idea of having a binder- it's very easy to forget what i have. it must be very handy to look through when looking for ideas! but, with as many sets as i have now, it's a pretty overwhelming thought to start now! maybe for a summer project....

what kind of paper do you use? cardstock or just plain ol' paper?

a summer project sounds like the perfect way to get it done! just set a certain number of sets to do each day and you will be so glad when you get it done. it is one of the best organizational plans i have done.

i just use regular copy paper. i have one folder for all my SU! sets and another for 'other' stamps (this one is VERY small)

here is a picture of mine (taken some time ago)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i definitely think i'll try this- it's so easy to forget what i have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default stamp organizing

Wow, stamps accumulate don't they? Main reason I've resisted becoming a demo. I've started with the binder idea. I haven't done the catagory thing yet though. I'm going to scan or copy the label sheets on new sets as soon as I get them and just put that in a binder. Saves inking, etc.

Another thing I've done is combined some smaller sets into large ones, so I free up a box. But I've saved the boxes in case I change my mind or wqnt to sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks all, for your great ideas . . .

Having recently acquired a lump sum of 44 sets to add to the 30+ sets I already had, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with the magnitude of it all . . . the binder idea sounds like an awesome way to organize my collection and make better use of all my stamps. I also sometimes scan and print wallet size pics of the cards I make with each set to use for future design ideas/reference and those could be included in that binder as well. I can't wait to get out of work, go home and start working on this project!

Happily Stamping (and organizing),
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I went from stacking my stamps to putting them like books on a shelf. I sorted them by catagory like flowers, sentiments, alphabets, Christmas, Halloween, animals, Valentines, etc. It is much easier to get the sets off the shelf when they are put on like books than stacked. It was not my idea. Saw it here on SCS and decided to try it. My husband put shelves in my closet the so the largest clam shell box fits on each shelf. That way, I do not have wasted space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
You will not regret it! Check back after you get it made and let us know what you think.
Annie
I think I'm already regretting it, hahaha. I started last night and it took a LOOOONG time, maybe that means I have too many stamps...hahaha nahhhhh. It did take a while though, I worked through DWTS and got about 10 sets done.

Although I am kind of trying to make them pretty while I'm doing it. Think from now on, I'll just copy the sticker sheet before I put them together=)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I think I'm already regretting it, hahaha. I started last night and it took a LOOOONG time, maybe that means I have too many stamps...hahaha nahhhhh. It did take a while though, I worked through DWTS and got about 10 sets done.

Although I am kind of trying to make them pretty while I'm doing it. Think from now on, I'll just copy the sticker sheet before I put them together=)

it does seem daunting...

but when it's done you will be so pleased! and it will be easy to just do each set as you get them.

my new sets are not allowed to be shelved until they have been cataloged AND used! i have about 4 sets waiting...

NEVER! i don't think that is even possible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I have a binder system, and have almost all of my stamps unmounted and stored in CD cases. I simply scan the CD full of stamps and then copy the scan as many times as needed. I place one copy in the CD case, and then put other copies in my binder in whatever category it fits. So for instance, if I have a set that has a flower, heart, and a saying appropriate for a sympathy card, I would have it in my binder in the nature and bug section, love section, sympathy section, and in the sentiment section. I loved the way the category sections were working, but the sentiments were driving me crazy. I am just re-doing that section of the binder, and I already think it is going to work great.

What I have done is to cut out the saying image from my CD copies. I sat and brainstormed possible saying categories, ie; thank you, sympathy, fall, etc. I came up with 28 or 29 categories. I then put a 31 day divider tabs thing in my binder with an index on the first page. I placed each of the stamp images in the appropriate section or sections. So if it it is a good graduation sentiment, but also fit in the quotes section, it would go in both places.

All of my stamps have a little card in the binder that lists anything I want to know about the set. I list the name of the set, or the name that I gave the CD, how many pieces it has, which other section I have it filed it in the binder, etc. I have my CDs stored alphabetically in IKEA CD tower bookcases. It took awhile to set up, but it is very easy to maintain. I just took it slow and it wasn't difficult. You know you can eat an elephant, as long as you do it one bite at a time! This system is easy to use and is organized. I love it! Good luck with whatever organizational system you choose.

This is how I want mine to be like. Wanna come over and do mine? ;)

Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Wink

I had the same problem, so since my craft room is up stairs with the slanted ceilings I bought the storage biens with draws,:???: I did my by season and events first. Fall, Christmas, Mother's day, Father's day, Baby, Friendship, Sympathy, Words, stamps I have the exact punch it goes with, (punches are stored separately), Animal, Backgrounds and Borders, Red Hat stamps. This has really worked out for me. At one time I had all my stamps out of there boxes and just put together buy the type of stamp. That was to confusing for me :confused:especially if I wanted to check out an Idea on SU stamps. I think you are one of those women like me that has to have a place for everything, makes sense, and makes you able to be creative.:grin: I hope this help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #28  

I unmounted all of my SU stamp sets and have a binder with the pictures and listed alphabetically. My stamps are stored alphabetically as well.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I have PLANS to put a binder together, but I want to use old catalogs and cut out the picture of the set as it appears in the catalog. Same thing as stamping them - you get "life-size" images. And it would take a WHOLE lot less time, that's for sure! That would work well for the full sets.

I also want to "index" them - at least the sentiments! That job I *have* started - I have a page (will be at least 2-3 by the time I'm done) for "thank you" sentiments. I'll stamp them all, and list what set they're in. Then I can use my Punch Pal (go here for more info: http://www.catscreativeplace.blogspot.com/ to see if a particular thank you sentiment will fit in the punch that I want to use on my card. It's amazing how many sentiment stamps are in sets that aren't all sentiments, you know what I mean??

Cat (see above link) also keeps an SU Excel spreadsheet of ALL the SU stamp sets and she keeps it up for date. For $10 you can get a copy and she sends lifetime updates. If you've put in your own info (like which ones you own, etc) and don't know how to transfer the info, she'll even do it for you - she's GREAT!

I have many hundreds of SU stamp sets, but this is a project that I'd LOVE to have completed (my binder project, and my index of sentiments). Cutting the stamp set pictures out of old catties will help a lot. Then I'll just adhere them to cardstock or printer paper, whichever I decide to use for my binder. If I have a set that doesn't appear in any of my "spare" catalogs, then I can just stamp that one (or two or ten or twenty <g>).
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Almost Done!

I labeled all my sets, alphabetized them and lined them up like books on shelves and created a card-stock page for each set to file in a binder. I scanned old catalogs for most of the set pics, downloaded index pages from the SU Galleries for some and stamped the sets that I couldn't find in any of my catalogs. I'm guessing it took me 10 or more hours to do all that over the weekend but it was well worth the effort. I can already see how convenient it will make things in the future. I have sets that I didn't even remember having and can't wait to start using! And, of course, I saw more sets while browsing through the catalogs that I want, want, want.

Next I need to start loading some of my creations into my gallery which is currently empty . . . such an wonderful addiction!

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara_k33View Post
I labeled all my sets, alphabetized them and lined them up like books on shelves and created a card-stock page for each set to file in a binder. I scanned old catalogs for most of the set pics, downloaded index pages from the SU Galleries for some and stamped the sets that I couldn't find in any of my catalogs. I'm guessing it took me 10 or more hours to do all that over the weekend but it was well worth the effort. I can already see how convenient it will make things in the future. I have sets that I didn't even remember having and can't wait to start using! And, of course, I saw more sets while browsing through the catalogs that I want, want, want.

Next I need to start loading some of my creations into my gallery which is currently empty . . . such an wonderful addiction!

Barbara
Barbara,
How do you keep your sets from falling over? Books will stand up by themselves but with the edges on the SU boxes, mine seem to slip all the time and tumble over on top of each other. Suggestions? TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Wow!! That looks awesome!! Will you come over?? ;) The color dots are a great idea!!
TFS!
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
This is how I want mine to be like. Wanna come over and do mine? ;)

Tammy:cool:
I just read your post. Too funny! I think doing it once is enough to drive a normal person close to going over the edge, but it is so worth it when it is done. Maybe if I had less stamps...... what am I saying, not possible! Good luck with the binder. I know you will love it when it is done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennikView Post
Wow!! That looks awesome!! Will you come over?? ;) The color dots are a great idea!!
TFS!
jennik

thanks! i am glad you like it.

i wonder if i could convince by huban that a little trip out west was my opportunity to 'pay it forward' LOL

now just to find a pkg. of ALL RED dots!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Stacked like books...

[Barbara,
How do you keep your sets from falling over? Books will stand up by themselves but with the edges on the SU boxes, mine seem to slip all the time and tumble over on top of each other. Suggestions? TIA.]

Tia, the sets are currently stored upright like books on 3 CD storage stands which are about 4 feet high and a foot wide. I'll see if I can upload a photo in my gallery.
--Barbara

Update...camera cord is at work and I'm not...it's been one of those days. I'll upload the pic soon!

Last edited by barbara_k33; 04-01-2009 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes