Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Looking for Craft Ideas for VBS!

Hello everyone! I have searched the board, but cannot find where this topic has been posted, so hopefully there is not a duplicate that I overlooked� Anyway, I would love to get input on craft ideas for our church�s upcoming Vacation Bible School (VBS). The theme will be western and is from Lifeway - Saddle Ridge Ranch. I helped with VBS several years ago, but have never been in charge and want to make sure the crafts this year are fun, but useful. We are trying to steer clear of things like those foam craft kits that make it into the trash as soon as they are brought home. These will be crafts for school-aged kids, kindergarten through 5th grade. It is my understanding that the crafts for kindergarten through 2nd grade can be one item and then something a little more �challenging� for the older kids.

I thought about a tote bag that the kids could stamp with western themed foam stamps or decorate with paint pens. Also we could paint or stamp or use western themed paper to cover wooden door hangers for their bedroom door. Another idea I thought of was to make a �Memory Board� using 12x12 pieces of foam board or cork and cover them with 12x12 bandana paper (I have seen this at Hobby Lobby) and then use brown ribbon or hemp to make the criss cross pattern where pictures or notes would be stored and then finish the seams with buttons or brads. Do you think this would be too complicated? I was thinking about making a mock up to see how complex it would be to explain. The Children�s Pastor said that one or two of the projects could extend over two days, if necessary. My other concern was if the board would actually be used if it did not match the home d�cor or theme of the child�s bedroom? Something like this? http://stampwithbeth.typepad.com/.a/...fb31f4b970c-pi

What crafts have your kids made at VBS - or at make & takes, school, birthday parties, or wherever - that are useful and were not thrown away? Or other kid-friendly craft ideas that could be adapted to a western theme?

Does anyone have ideas for making some sort of �cowboy canteen�? In the Oriental Trading magazine I saw little canvas holders that you can decorate that hold a water bottle, so I guess those are an option, but maybe someone has made a water bottle holder or somehow crafted an insulated travel mug???

Also, if you would share any inexpensive, simple ideas you might have for decorating our classroom in a western theme, I would appreciate your help. I thought about making an indoor camp fire somehow and decorating the walls with cardboard horses and a hitching post. I also thought I might cut brown construction paper into fringe and hang it around the doorways. Of course, I plan to put cowboy hats on the tables and also saw a cute idea on making cacti out of cucumbers stuck with toothpicks.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Still looking for some crafty input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I helped with VBS, we always had a book that showed crafts for each day for the kids.
I think your ideas are great. You could use empty paper towel rolls for logs. A bail of straw could add to the theme somehow. Or you could get a bundle of real wood for the campfire set up. Use red orange or yellow tissue paper for the flames. All your ideas are great!!
I still have a couple of the magnets that my son made when he was in VBS on the refrigerator. (He is in college now).
I don't know how much $ you have for all your projects. Could you have everyone take a turn to have their picture taken. ( Each wearing a Cowboy hat, bandana neckerchief) , develop them, make a frame from popsicle sticks and a bible verse.
It sounds like a fun theme for VBS. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Kate, a friend of mine (Holly/catrules) did some darling western wear items--bandana, bolo tie, wristband etc.--for a recent Stampin Addicts blog hop. Hers are obviously the whole nine yards, but I think they'd be easy to scale down for the appropriate ages.

They're toward the end of her post; just keep scrolling down.

She also added a badge and goody bag a few days later.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

How about wrapping rope/twine/hempe around empty soup cans. Then take those bandanas and cutting them in strips to tie around can. Add a cut out star or something to attach to where the knot was tied.
Then with your bandana papers wrap #2 pencils with bandana paper.
It would be a pencil holder and a pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also, horse shoe cut outs would look cool. Sheriff badges from the party store would be a cheap and easy decoration to put on a craft. Signs made out of kraft paper or paper bags...you know those 30 miles to......(like those old wooden signs on a post).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

When I did the arts and crafts for VBS last year, there was a handout that listed all of the crafts that they recommended that tied into the theme. Even if you don't use their supplies (or even their exact idea), you can definitely get some good ideas and the text for teaching the lesson and how the craft ties in. Good luck! Sounds like fun.

Jodie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Ladies, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great input! Yes, Lifeway does publish a craft magazine as a guideline for the crafts to use each day that correspond with the theme Bible verse for the day, I was just trying to get some other ideas. I think their crafts can be pricey, which is why Oriental Trading might be an option because their items seem to be very reasonably priced.

Bev, your crafts ideas are very helpful, as are your decorating tips! I think we will probably do some sort of picture frame and also there was a cute cactus magnet in the Oriental Trading magazine that would be fun, especially for the younger kids.

Holly, I looked at (and bookmarked!) your friend's blog and her western-themed crafts were great! I definitely think I can incorporate some of her ideas.

Thanks, Jodie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

With help from the Lifeway website and Oriental Trading, I think I have my crafts planned out for the week. However, if anyone has more input on easy, western-themed decorating ideas that would be great. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Well be sure to show us pictures of what y'all do--sounds like the kids are in for fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

We are doing the western theme too this year... anymore ideas... thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I was thinking if you knew someone you could borrow a saddle from to use as decoration, but depending on how it was displayed it wouldn't be good if the kids sat/climbed on it.

Go to a thrift store/second hand store and get some old cowboy boots for decoration.

Maybe they would have some western clothes too for adult workers/helpers to wear.

Yes, please post pictures when you can.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I just finished VBS and I was in charge of Crafts. Our theme was SonQuest Rainforest. We only did 4 nights...
Night one...planted a seed and let them decorate the cup...they loved getting their hands dirty

Night two...took everyones photo dressed in a vest, hat and holding a butterfly catcher net. Put it in a acrylic frame for them to take home. They love to have their picture taken every year.

The little ones got to put stickers on a handmade color book that also had the theme scripture verse for the week in it. Each child got stickers, colors and coloring book to take home.

Night three...they made a doorhanger with bells on it. More sticker fun...I made the doorhanger from cardboard backing from designer paper...used my Sizzix die for the hole.
The older one made TIC TAC TOE games. I just cut out some more cardboard, spaced out the nine spots for the game pieces...let them choose 2 different colors of cardstock...let them punch out 5 hearts and 5 butterflies for the game pieces. Made labels for the top that said TIC TAC TOE and VIOLA!!!!

Night 4 each class got to share what they did...and we had a birthday party for one of the small ones.
Hope this helps...if you want to know more...pm me ...Wanda50
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

By the way...If you have a Cricut...look on your carts to see if there are any die ideas you can use...Do a mini-album with a picture of them on the front. I got my room decorations from the Dollar Tree...They had several VBS themes this year. Also check out Hobby Lobby they did too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 609 Likes on 249 Posts

The person who buys all the craft stuff for our VBS gets the supplies and lots of ideas from a company called S&S. Check it out. Also, check through any bins of leftovers that may be at church -- last year the littlest kids made stuff from scraps that came out really cute.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Not much help, but I wish you good luck!! We are working on VBS now- we start on July 12th. I am doing pre-school crafts again this year. We are doing the Bolo ties (I found an inexpensive source for wooden stars, kids will glitter them up and add beads to the tie), Patchwork wall hangings, paper bag cowboy bags, rattlesnakes (made from wooden spoons) and a message board.
I love the ranch theme this year, I need to get hubby busy building my stable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My church is doing Saddle Ridge Ranch this week. My kids made Beate's Bracelets yesterday. I was surprised at how inexpensive they were to make - 50 from each package of Grungeboard, and the kids loved them! This was my youngest daughter's class.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Our 4-6 grade students always do a wood-burning project. The wood shape this year is the boot. Students sand, draw designs with a pencil, and then spend the rest of the week burning it in. Designs include the main verse of the week, blackline designs from the VBS kit, rubber stamp designs from my stash, their name, and many other ideas from their imaginations. A retired gentleman cuts them out for us, so nice. We actually only have wood burners for half of the students at one time, so we plan smaller activities for the rest of the time. We always make it hangable some way.

My daughter made these all through her elementary years, and now she helps with VBS as a youth volunteer and she makes sure to go in for craft time to make the most recent plaque. She has quite a collection on her walls, and lots of memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

We completed our VBS (Lifeway's Saddle Ridge Ranch) last week and it was fun, but a lot of work! I was in charge of craft for grades 1 - 5 and the kids seemed to enjoy the crafts and we got compliments from the teachers / helpers too because they were glad to see a little more "substantial" crafts this year and not just "junk".

Here were our crafts for the week:

VBS 2010 - Blazing Star Stables (Crafts)

Day 1 – Who am I?
Craft: Craft stick door hanger (print verse of day on label for back of door hanger)

5 jumbo craft sticks
2 regular craft sticks
12" jute or hemp cord
tacky glue
western foam accents
label
paint pens or paint (optional)

Paint craft sticks and allow to dry (may need to skip this step if time does not allow). Glue jumbo sticks close together on regular sticks. Select foam accents and glue or adhere onto sticks. Tie cord to each end of stick for hanging. Put some glue on the knot; trim after it dries.

Day 2 – Does God care about me?
Craft for 1st – 3rd grade: Prayer Box from Oriental Trading to remind us that we can share our cares (worries, concerns) with Jesus because He loves us. http://www.softsaints.com/productdet...3-0a0088f791de
4th & 5th grade for Days 2 and 3: Craft stick lantern (we are the “light” of the world) http://www.ssww.com/item/craft-stick...id=900&aid=FRG

Craft Stick Lantern
16 craft sticks
oval wooden accents “biscuits” (16 small & 16 medium)
wax paper
tacky glue
small battery operated candle

Lay a 24" piece of wax paper on your work surface. {NOTE: I folded the wax paper in half to make two layers for added stability of the lantern.} Start at the left bottom and glue four craft sticks on the wax paper to make a box. Right next to it make another box of four craft sticks. Repeat two more times so you have four boxes. Arrange wooden accents in each box to make an attractive design. Glue in place & allow to dry. Trim the wax paper along the top. Trim down the side but leave a half inch to glue. Fold wax paper to make a box. Glue flap to secure. Set a candle in a votive inside and see how pretty it looks when the light shines through.

Day 3 – What is God’s plan for me?
Craft for 1st – 3rd grade: Peat pot horse http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/HorseCrafts.html
Craft for 4th & 5th grade: Finish working on craft stick lantern

Peat Pot Horse
One Jiffy-5" biodegradeable peat pot
One Jiffy-3" peat pot
2 google eyes
Brown yarn
2 wooden jumbo craft sticks
1/2" manila rope
Brown and black paint
Strong adhesive glue
Brown craft foam or construction paper.

What to do:
1. Glue the small peat pot on the bottom of the large peat pot to make the head.
2. Cut two jumbo craft sticks in half and paint the halves to make the legs of the horse. When the paint is dry glue the sticks onto the large peat pot as shown in the picture to the right.
3. Cut the rope to the length you want for the tail. Separate the strands and use only one strand. Pull the fibers apart at one end. Glue the other end to the back of the large peat pot.
4. Cut ear shapes from craft foam or construction paper and glue them to the head.
5. Glue on google eyes or draw them on.
6. To make the horse's mane cut pieces of yarn about 8" long and tie them together with another piece of yarn about 2" from one end. Glue the tied end to the top of the horse's head. Give the horse a "hair" cut so that some of the hair is different lengths. This will give the mane more fullness.

Day 4 – How can I be like Jesus?
Craft for 1st – 3rd grade: Craft stick picture frame
Craft for 4th & 5th grade: Memory Board (to remind us that God is always thinking about us)

Craft Stick Picture Frame
8 jumbo wooden craft sticks
glue
paint of any color
foam western accents / gems
verse of the day printed on cardstock (cut slightly smaller than stick frame)
adhesive magnetic tape

1. Glue the wooden sticks together as shown above (this can be done the day before).
2. Let the child paint the frame and allow to dry completely.
3. Attach desired decorations.
4. Glue the verse to the frame.
5. Attach the magnet on the back.

Memory Board
Foam board cut to 10x10
Bandana paper
Glue stick
Ribbon
Buttons / western foam accents / gems
Tacky glue
Jute cord

Day 5 – What do I do now?
Craft for 1st – 3rd grade: Finish working on craft stick picture frame
Craft for 4th & 5th grade: Finish working on memory board

Last edited by Krafty*Kate; 06-23-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great ideas... any more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

anymore ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

We had 222 kids this morning!! The little cowpokes enjoyed making the Cowpoke saddle bag- and it was handy to keep their Bible story paper and mission papers together.
Here is a picture of our stable. It is made from recycled fence. =)
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Craft Ideas for VBS!-stable-855-x-642-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisadwbView Post
We had 222 kids this morning!! The little cowpokes enjoyed making the Cowpoke saddle bag- and it was handy to keep their Bible story paper and mission papers together.
Here is a picture of our stable. It is made from recycled fence. =)
cool... keep me updated on your other days..

Our plans are

to make a necklace
make a bracelet
make a picture frame
make sheriff badges
making a wanted poster
making a cowboy hat magnet
possibly making a tie dyed bandanna
plus whatever I can come up with...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Not VBS, but we did a horse camp and did the Peat Pot horses and they are adorable. I'd hot glue the small on top of the big, and we ended up punching holes for the forelock, but we also had smaller kids doing them.

I have a great book called "Horse Crafts" that has a lot of cute ideas in it. It is by Linda Hendry. Anohter idea would be to contact a farrier (horse shoer) and ask if he has any old horse shoes that he'd be willing to donate. Clean them up a bit (and spray paint if you want). Have the kids decorate them, then cut a photo to fit inside and glue it on the back. Cover the back with felt and you're done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can strongly suggest going to the Nicole Crafts website for ideas for Vacation Bible School (assuming that's what VBS stands for) projects. There are many crafts for all age/skill levels there that can be adapted to Bible Study or a religious theme. Most if not all the items can be purchased at either AC Moore or Michaels craft stores. I'm sure they are also in other major craft stores but those are the only two in my area of the country.

I've used the book found in AC Moore (by Nicole Crafts) for the projects. Website gives full instructions and patterns can be downloaded and printed.

I love the projects!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks... I'll check that out!
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
i can strongly suggest going to the Nicole Crafts website for ideas for Vacation Bible School (assuming that's what VBS stands for) projects. There are many crafts for all age/skill levels there that can be adapted to Bible Study or a religious theme. Most if not all the items can be purchased at either AC Moore or Michaels craft stores. I'm sure they are also in other major craft stores but those are the only two in my area of the country.

I've used the book found in AC Moore (by Nicole Crafts) for the projects. Website gives full instructions and patterns can be downloaded and printed.

I love the projects!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all the great ideas girls...
Reply With Quote Likes