Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #41  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 644 Likes on 451 Posts

I agree and everyone's best work will vary-as a swapper you expect that. Send something that you are proud of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
All skill levels are always welcome in standard swaps. Cards that are falling apart, smeared, glue oozing out all sides, and crooked are NOT welcome. That's all that has been discussed in this thread. That has nothing to do with being an expert, it's about sending out your best work.
Exactly... one of the ones I just got had so much double-sided tape that it stuck together and was sticking out... even my husband commented, which he usually does not. Now, she knew what she sent. I just don't get that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #43  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not trying to start any fires (or stoke any), but this exactly why I have not joined any swaps here. I am a fairly new SU! demo, but I've been on SCS a while now and seeing the comments that have been made about swaps (even before I considered doing one) has totally turned me off of them.

I *KNOW* that I would be considered just slightly better than a beginner and the stress of worrying if my cards were "up-to-par" would take the joy out of it for me.

I am sure I would learn faster if I had examples in front of me to look at and figure out how they were done, but because I would hate to be the "sub-par swapper", I'll just look in the gallery and hope they've put enough description in it for me to figure it out.

Last edited by Springpatchlady; 04-14-2009 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: for clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

*sigh* I guess there's no convincing folks that in general people will not look down on swaps done by beginners or those whose style is more "clean and simple" than others. The blame for that, IMO, falls on the relatively small number of genuinely careless swappers who spoiled the enjoyment for their more conscientious counterparts. :(

I'm not saying that swap snobs don't exist, because too many of us have encountered them. Maybe those of us who host swaps can help weed out the ones who don't care to follow the guidelines and end up ruining things for everyone. As they gradually disappear, then maybe more of the folks who are being scared off by the backlash (that really doesn't apply to them) will be able to start participating without fear.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
*sigh* I guess there's no convincing folks that in general people will not look down on swaps done by beginners or those whose style is more "clean and simple" than others. The blame for that, IMO, falls on the relatively small number of genuinely careless swappers who spoiled the enjoyment for their more conscientious counterparts. :(

I'm not saying that swap snobs don't exist, because too many of us have encountered them. Maybe those of us who host swaps can help weed out the ones who don't care to follow the guidelines and end up ruining things for everyone. As they gradually disappear, then maybe more of the folks who are being scared off by the backlash (that really doesn't apply to them) will be able to start participating without fear.
Bravo! Well Said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #46  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post

AGREED!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

I have participated in a few swaps her on SCS..and like others have said everything that I get back is by no means knock my socks off awesome, but what I have taken from each and every swap is that everyone has different taste or style of stamping. And each of us can learn from each other...something!!
Just like every person in unique so is everyones idea of great. For people to say hurtful things to other fellow swappers clearly makes me angry. And yet again this is very high school!! And it really comes down to "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all" Think outside of the box sometimes people....."one man's trash is another man's treasure"
With all the war and turmoil in the world do we really need to be so petty??

My avatar is me with my kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

All skill levels are always welcome in standard swaps. Cards that are falling apart, smeared, glue oozing out all sides, and crooked are NOT welcome. That's all that has been discussed in this thread. That has nothing to do with being an expert, it's about sending out your best work.
I agree with this completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljwh02View Post
I have participated in a few swaps her on SCS..and like others have said everything that I get back is by no means knock my socks off awesome, but what I have taken from each and every swap is that everyone has different taste or style of stamping. And each of us can learn from each other...something!!
Just like every person in unique so is everyones idea of great. For people to say hurtful things to other fellow swappers clearly makes me angry. And yet again this is very high school!! And it really comes down to "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all" Think outside of the box sometimes people....."one man's trash is another man's treasure"
With all the war and turmoil in the world do we really need to be so petty??
I agree tottaly.
For those that worry about there cards.....I love them all....I started (not knowing better) with heavy printer paper. Glad to say that great people have helped me advance and there is always room for me to improve.
;)So if you don't want your cards I'll take them. I still have cards from my daughters 10th birthday party that all the kids made. She looks back at where is is and her style has changed. Happy stamping!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I have only participated in one swap over at the Unity forum. I was super nervous since some of the ladies are on their design team but i decided to participate anyway. I LOVED it! In the end i was very happy with what i came up with and LOVED every card i received. Some were a style that i would never do but they were all beautiful in their own way. I keep them in my stamping space for inspiration. I don't think i'll ever be a frequent swapper since I work full time and just can't commit to that much work but i'll definitely join another one if it peaks my interest.
And just as a side note I love what EVERYONE does on this site and try to comment positively as much as possible. Usually I try to hit the cards with zero comments since I think every card deserves one.
Hope you all have a great evening.
Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringpatchladyView Post
I am not trying to start any fires (or stoke any), but this exactly why I have not joined any swaps here. I am a fairly new SU! demo, but I've been on SCS a while now and seeing the comments that have been made about swaps (even before I considered doing one) has totally turned me off of them.

I *KNOW* that I would be considered just slightly better than a beginner and the stress of worrying if my cards were "up-to-par" would take the joy out of it for me.

I am sure I would learn faster if I had examples in front of me to look at and figure out how they were done, but because I would hate to be the "sub-par swapper", I'll just look in the gallery and hope they've put enough description in it for me to figure it out.
Hi Joyce! I know we are both in central IL...you can join my swaps anytime girl! I have hosted 2 "new demo" swaps on the SU demo side just for this exact reason!! I listed them as "New Demo Swap" and put specifically that I wanted those who were new to swapping to come and feel welcome...to get their feet wet with swapping. I got great response and lots of swappers in those swaps. I guess its time for me to do that again. I also did list "rules" which tend to be pretty common to swaps. I also happily answered questions and PMs when swappers had them. I wanted them to get over the "fear" we all were feeling about swapping. I also made a great swapping buddy from hosting those swaps and she joins all my swaps now and we swap with each other all the time...jsut randomly send each other packages. So joining swaps is a great experience!

Again, I think the point of this is to say...when you are making cards, please print out the "rules". Follow those rules. Make cards that fit the guidelines of the swap. If you are overextending and you have to rush to get your cards made, either drop out or join a few less swaps. I think that if you are whipping cards together and not making sure things are done properly, then its not in anyone's best interest for you to send those cards. Beginners (and everyone is at some point!) are more than welcome. Sloppy work isnt.

And to the lady who's daughter was so hurt...I feel just awful that happened! What a disappointment. I do think that I consider swaps mostly for adults. It honestly never even occurred to me that something sent to me could have been made by a child. I have personally never said to someone "OMG! Your card it awful!". That is totally rude! I can always find elements I like about a card. I am sure my cards arent everyone's cup of tea either. I think if you didnt ask permission to have your daughter participate, let the hostess know the situation and let her share that these were made by a child, then unfortunately, people didnt know the circumstances. Albeit, they were rude,but they might have been more compassionate knowing the situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #52  
Crimping Master

Springpatchlady, I just went and checked out your gallery. You only have 3 cards in it (well 2 look the same) but I would hardly call them 'barely above beginner', they are lovely, especially the one with Upsy Daisy (I think that is the name of the set). You do great work, I haven't participated in a card swap (as I said earlier, I have only done image swaps) but I would be thrilled to have received either of your cards in a swap that I was involved in.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Just my 2 cents here, I agree I have gotten some fabulous cards back from swaps and then again I have gotten some that aren't the best to me but maybe to the creator of the card they were.
When swapping you have to keep in mind that everyone isn't as experienced and that might be their best work right now. We all have had to learn and grow, I know when I first started stamping I thought my work was absolutley fabulous but looking back now I know it wasn't.
Don't stop swapping, just remember that everybody is new at something at some point and time and pratice makes perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #54  
Watercolor Wizard

That is why I do not do swapps, I am just learning, and I would hate to disappoint any one, by sending something I thought was ok and wasnt. I have learned so much this year from SC, and when I look at my first card I made, (mind you I thought it was fabulous) and see how far I have come, I still have a way's to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi there,

I have been in so many swaps over the years and I really do have to agree with some of the comments here.

Let it be known that I am NOT known as a stamping snob. I have been to many conventions and swapped out at those conventions. I have seen in person the snobbery mentioned earlier when someone's work was rejected as not being to standard. Now, that blew me away!!!!! My friends and I swapped with everyone....kids incuded...there are always a complement of kids wanting swaps at these things...so I make extra! Never would I have imagined to say no to swapping with someone. That would have been uber rude.

In all the swaps I have hosted, I try to match back quality work with quality work, purely because I can see the time and effort put into the work. Now, by quality I mean a card put together well. A beginner stamper is quite able to put a card together well...straight cuts, no smudging, stamp stamped fully not partially, no tape seen etc. The card may be simple....but that is not the point. Some people's style is CAS. Experienced stuff often goes out to a beginner and vice versa. AND THAT folks is where the learning begins.

When I receive stuff from an experienced stamper who I know does not have anything going on that is sub standard...and here I mean....tape hanging out, base card not even lining up, stamping only part of the stamp or half embossing it...the other half just wiping away...etc etc....That is when I begin to be disappointed.

A Kristy Lee has so eloquently put...it is NOT about being an expert ...it IS about giving out your best work!....I think whatever you swap should be something you would honestly be proud to place up there on the mantlepiece for everyone to view.

I have had people with all sorts of disabilities swap out. Usually the others in the swap are aware....as most of these swaps have occurred through Yahoo Groups (who DO have standards by the way! I have owned and moderated them) and the people within those groups tend to know a bit about each other. I have always encouraged these lovelies as stamping is their passion. (Just an aside...I have taught people with mental and physical disabilities...Some of the stuff they produce isn't half bad.)

Molly, I don't think people here are meaning to be petty in any way, shape or form. I think everyone is more than willing to help a beginner along the trail. It is great for someone to have steered you in the right direction.

Swapping is a bit of a minefield IMO as no matter how well the "rules of the game" are set out, there will be people who do not follow. I have an idea! Yeah....yeah...no falling off your chairs... OP....Why don't YOU host a swap yourself? You could include all those items you want to see happening as part of the requirements of the swap...with a disclaimer that only those people willing to abide by them, enter.

Cheers,
Michelle

No shooting me pretty please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi...If you are doing work you are proud of, why not swap? You will learn much....I think the OP did not want to preclude learners (am I right?)...just sloppy, couldn't give a hoot type stuff...that's what she was commenting on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIRed2View Post
That is why I do not do swapps, I am just learning, and I would hate to disappoint any one, by sending something I thought was ok and wasnt. I have learned so much this year from SC, and when I look at my first card I made, (mind you I thought it was fabulous) and see how far I have come, I still have a way's to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Inexperienced

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie-DidView Post
I think there is a huge difference between someone who is new and learning and their technique is simpler and straight up sloppy work. Let's be honest, if you stamp something and it's all cockeyed and crooked you do it again if you are careful and concerned about your work. That's how you learn. If you are swapping and your work is messy that's not fair. If your work is simpler but meets the swap requirements that's a different story.
All this makes the newbie swapper to SCS like me nervous though. Maybe I should rethink the swaps I signed up for and wait until I have one pass everyone's muster?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #58  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This subject does come up every once and awhile. We all know that people who swap cards have different levels of experience. I've gotten some really great ideas and I've also learned new techniques and methods from card swapping, but best of all was getting to know some of the wonderful people that we have here on splitcoast
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #59  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallnPetalView Post
All this makes the newbie swapper to SCS like me nervous though. Maybe I should rethink the swaps I signed up for and wait until I have one pass everyone's muster?
No, Jump right in...you'll be glad you did. Don't let someone else's opinion ruin your fun.. We were all newbies once..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #60  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881View Post
No, Jump right in...you'll be glad you did. Don't let someone else's opinion ruin your fun.. We were all newbies once..
I agree with you!

Anyone is welcome to join any swap that I host. We all had to start somewhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Lesley...I am not getting why this comment by Katie would make you nervous!

Katie is trying to make the distinction between beginner and sloppy. There is a big difference.

On another note, I didn't begin swapping (in the dark ages) until I could stamp a stamp without smudging, and have a base card all lined up. Then I agonised over every detail forever thinking it would not be good enough. I think this agonising is part of the growing process. Actually, I still get a niggle if I am swapping (I do swap mostly ATCs now). Tis natural, but doesn't stop me from participating.

Cheers,
Michelle
Better go do some chores or the morning will be all gone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie-DidView Post
I think there is a huge difference between someone who is new and learning and their technique is simpler and straight up sloppy work. Let's be honest, if you stamp something and it's all cockeyed and crooked you do it again if you are careful and concerned about your work. That's how you learn. If you are swapping and your work is messy that's not fair. If your work is simpler but meets the swap requirements that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

Michelle, all I meant by being petty was that there are far more important things to be thinking about in this world than getting back a few "less than standard" swaps. I join swaps for the experience and fun I have putting them together, waiting for the postperson to arrive, and finding some new idea, layout, technique, color combo in the swap. I guess I try to find the good in all things in life!! I just wish more people would do the same!

My avatar is me with my kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I so am the same with the mail...but I have to go get mine from the PO...no delivery here as this is too small a community to warrant it....But...I have been known to haunt the place come 9am in the morning...lol!

Seriously...I am sure the OP and others here (including myself) see and find lots of good things out there....(not in all things though...I would have a huge list of things there is no possible way I could find anything at all good in.) I know I do try and look for nice things.

I was just expressing my thoughts on this particular topic. I don't believe that takes away the enormity of all the other stuff around me. Just something to talk about...nice change from the topic of.....RAIN and how we cannot plant our crop because of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

This topic does come up frequently, doesn't it? I think what it all boils down to is the purpose of the swap. If it is a demo swap for a particular company, then the guidelines that pertain to that swap must be followed. I also think that hostesses should be clear about the criteria to be met for the swap, whether it is a demo swap or not.

I have participated in many swaps, and I have hosted many as well. Most of them were just for fun and for sharing ideas with each other. I welcomed stampers of all levels. Some of the cards I received were absolutely gorgeous, and others not so much (in my opinion); but I would NEVER berate someone whose cards I didn't like. We all have our own ideas of what is good and what isn't. Opinions are by nature very subjective.

The reason I don't participate in or host swaps has very little to do with the quality of the items I've received. What really bothered me was the lackadaisical attitude of some of the swappers/hostesses. Every single swap I've been in has been returned late. There were times when I waited months for a swap to be returned. In a few cases, my return packages were lost, but the hostesses didn't really seem too concerned.

As for "demo quality" work, I'm not sure exactly what that would be. Every demo has to start somewhere. Many people become demos when they first start stamping. It saddens me when stampers and scrapbookers consider themselves "inferior" because of lack of experience or skill development. I wish there were a self-confidence pill that we could take when we feel this way, because I'm pretty sure that we have all been there at one point or another in our lives.

My best advice to potential swappers is this: Read the swap guidelines carefully. Ask the hostess questions and clarify anything that you aren't sure of before you join. Turn in your best work, whether you are a beginner, an expert, or somewhere in-between. If you know you have done your best, be confident and proud of what you have done. And above all: Don't let the comments of an insensitive few prevent you from having a good time learning from and sharing with others.

Happy scrapping and stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #65  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
My best advice to potential swappers is this: Read the swap guidelines carefully. Ask the hostess questions and clarify anything that you aren't sure of before you join. Turn in your best work, whether you are a beginner, an expert, or somewhere in-between. If you know you have done your best, be confident and proud of what you have done. And above all: Don't let the comments of an insensitive few prevent you from having a good time learning from and sharing with others.

Happy scrapping and stamping!
Really well said! I really enjoy the swaps I have been in. Join one, get your feet wet and HAVE FUN!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

This whole thread still has me worried about the calibre of my card making skills. Doesn't matter if I want to ramp up my game by learning on here, if I end up on someone's black list because they think my work not worthy of their time, I really don't get the chance or many chances to learn.

My husband is an artist. He puts himself out there every time paint touches canvas and yet, had he not been allowed to "show" his work in its early stages, he wouldn't have grown into the "Markus Wade" he is now.

Not that I'm ever going to be in his category or even that my card making would compare to his God given talent for oil painting but the learning curve is where we all start; even the pros!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #67  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

This whole thread still has me worried about the calibre of my card making skills. Doesn't matter if I want to ramp up my game by learning on here, if I end up on someone's black list because they think my work not worthy of their time, I really don't get the chance or many chances to learn.

My husband is an artist. He puts himself out there every time paint touches canvas and yet, had he not been allowed to "show" his work in its early stages, he wouldn't have grown into the "Markus Wade" he is now.

Not that I'm ever going to be in his category or even that my card making would compare to his God given talent for oil painting but the learning curve is where we all start; even the pros!
I wouldn't join a swap with anyone who even had a "black list." These are card/scrapbooking swaps we're talking about, after all. I'm sure you will find swaps hosted by people who aren't so closed-minded.

I really hope you decide to take a chance and join a swap or two. You are right: We all have to start somewhere. Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I'm so sorry, but I am surprised that you would allow your daughter to participate in an adult swap without clearing it with the other participants first. I also don't understand how/why she would have seen comments about her swaps without you seeing them first and shielding them from her. Can you elaborate on the circumstances?

I'm so sorry, but when I join a swap, I expect an adult's best work unless the swap is listed as being for children.
I agree Kristie....

I'm Retiring from SU! and hocking my stash here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #69  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

He he...this made me laugh! I think anyone who cares as much as you do about the work you are going to produce is going to be just fine in swaps, trust me! =)

Seriously, tho...the truth of the matter is this...I have been in and hosted swaps. Everyone does different work...it would be totally boring if everyone's card were the same! Jump in with both feet and be proud of your work!! to me, unless you just put a piece of tape in the middle of a half stamped image and throw it on an uneven piece of construction paper, you have nothing to worry about!! I think that people think they have to be a "Beate" or a "Jan Tink" (or some other SCS superstar) for people to like their work and guess what, we dont! I love my cards becuz they are MINE! I CASE cards, I come up with my own designs and sometimes, I fail miserably but to me, thats part of the fun! It wont stop me from creating and from swapping either.

I do think this topic comes up becuz when you are new to a swap, sometimes you get back things that you dont like. So what? I am sure I have made things people dont like but I have never seen anyone call anyone out. the OP was just asking a simple question and making an observation. I dont want her or anyone else to be deterred from swapping....its a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

I am relatively new here but I am in 2 swaps right now. One was an image swap. The hostess very graciously accepted me as a swapper although she knew nothing about me. She took a chance on me and I' so glad she did. I received back a pile of the cutest House Mouse images to play with!
The other swap I am participating in is a recipe swap. I have to admit that I am nervous about my skill level with this one. I have been a scrapbooker for 8 years but I have only recently fallen in love with cardmaking (and SU!). I am taking great pains to make sure everything is put together to the best of my ability. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my creation is up to par with the rest of the swappers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #71  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

It shouldn't make you nervous, listen when you make your cards for a swap it should because you want to make the cards, because you enjoy it, and because you either want the challenge from the theme of the swap or you want to build your collection of a type of card. I have been a demo for going on three years and stamping for four. I still get excited to see the envelope come in the mail. I really don't care what the card looks like. It is frustrating when there is glue oozing as kristie says or images half colored. I have made cards I am not a fan of and swapped them off and got back cards that were amazing and thought wow! I have posted images to my gallery I thought were awesome and got no comments. The common thread between both were that they were made with quality card stock and they were not messy. Are my cards always the best color combos, probably not, do I expect everyones to be? No, but construction paper, copy paper, and obvious lack of attention to the basics of the craft isn't fair.

I'm Retiring from SU! and hocking my stash here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess I'll know more shortly as I am sending out my first swap on Monday. If I'm not invited back, I'll leave with my tail between my legs! LOL

I guess in the Yahoo groups I'm in I've seen some snobbery come out (not even toward me) and I got worried. As DH says, "don't fret your pretty little head anymore, get back to what you do best and serve God and the women he has entrusted to you." He's right.

Thanks for keeping my courage up though.

Especially since I'm ordering my baja breeze and kiwi kiss for another swap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #73  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default You brought tears to my eyes!!

Curly Chick/ Pamela,

Thank you so much for your kind, kind words. Part of the reason I don't have much in my gallery is just the kind of insecurity I mentioned - worrying that mine isn't "good enough". Those 3 I put in there was just a few days after I signed up as a demo and I kind of dared myself to post a few of my cards. The other reason is that usually I forget to photograph them before I send them.

Your encouragement literally made me cry a little. Thank you! You have no idea how much it means to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
Springpatchlady, I just went and checked out your gallery. You only have 3 cards in it (well 2 look the same) but I would hardly call them 'barely above beginner', they are lovely, especially the one with Upsy Daisy (I think that is the name of the set). You do great work, I haven't participated in a card swap (as I said earlier, I have only done image swaps) but I would be thrilled to have received either of your cards in a swap that I was involved in.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #74  
Proud Fan Club Member

Smile Thanks Kelly!

You know, I may just join one of your "new demo" swaps! Thanks for your encouraging words. I think some people who are "born artistic" have no idea how insecure those of us who have to work at being creative can be about our work.

I am not 'naturally' gifted artistically. That's the thing that really drew me to stamping - I could be artistic without necessarily having 'talent' - I could "learn" artistry. But then to read some of the comments that have been made - knowing that my work is often crooked etc. has made me shy about sharing in this forum. My non-stamping friends and family go nuts over things I make - but I doubt that I'd such a reception here. And I guess that I really don't need it. Just trying to explain how those kinds of remarks can intimidate others...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
Hi Joyce! I know we are both in central IL...you can join my swaps anytime girl! I have hosted 2 "new demo" swaps on the SU demo side just for this exact reason!! I listed them as "New Demo Swap" and put specifically that I wanted those who were new to swapping to come and feel welcome...to get their feet wet with swapping. I got great response and lots of swappers in those swaps. I guess its time for me to do that again... Beginners (and everyone is at some point!) are more than welcome. Sloppy work isnt...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #75  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was involved in swaps for about 1 1/2 years on SCS and stopped doing them because so many of them were poor quality. My definition of poor quality has less to do with novice vs. experienced stampers and much more about the quality of the materials and embellishments used. In the swaps I submitted I took great care and pride to ensure everything was straight, used only SU paper and high quality embellishments and always tried to put forth my best work. Unfortunately many of the swaps I was in the participants did not do this - I had one swap of 6 in 2007 that I actually threw away every single card and only could salvage a 2" bit of ribbon that was worth keeping. I never throw anything away at all so this speaks volumes about how bad these cards were! IMO some swappers bite off more than they can deliver and then saldy rush through the swap not focusing on the quality of the final product or effort to "wow" the recipient!

On the upside I did paprticipate in many wonderful swaps that yielded great samples and techniques!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are talking PURELY about really sloppy, messy cards, then maybe I can understand some of the complaints.

However, complaining about the "quality" of the materials assumes that the other swapper didn't care enough- when maybe, that was the best she could afford. Maybe she has to use the $1 stamp pads and the $1 stamps from Michaels if she wants to stamp. Maybe construction paper is the best she can do financially. Maybe she is totally self-taught and no one has shown her the better way.

As for never telling someone that their cards were awful- well, the OP just did that, didn't she? Don't you think that quite a few people who have been in swaps with her are wondering, unhappily, tonight if they are the ones she is talking about? As possibly are the swappers who exchanged with the ones who agreed with her about receiving "bad" cards. How do you think the folks who were in one of the above poster's swaps feel now that she has announced that she threw everything she got in a swap away?

It's no wonder that many are intimidated. Why would anyone risk this kind of public hurt and humiliation?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
If you are talking PURELY about really sloppy, messy cards, then maybe I can understand some of the complaints.

However, complaining about the "quality" of the materials assumes that the other swapper didn't care enough- when maybe, that was the best she could afford. Maybe she has to use the $1 stamp pads and the $1 stamps from Michaels if she wants to stamp. Maybe construction paper is the best she can do financially. Maybe she is totally self-taught and no one has shown her the better way.
That depends. Was it an NVR swap, or did the guidelines specifically state the sorts of materials the hostess was expecting everyone to use? I don't participate in the "anything goes" swaps because, as a SU! demo, I don't want to get back cards that use House Mouse stamps, Bellas, card stock from Michael's, Bazzill papers, etc., no matter how lovely they are. It really annoyed me on several occasions when I got back cards from the monthly swap in my upline's local demo group where the person used a Cuttlebug embossing folder for the base layer of the card, or featured an old hostess set. Hello, you're swapping face-to-face with a small group made up exclusively of SU! demos and you use something retired or non-SU! as a major part of your card? That's a very big no-no, especially since my upline reminds everyone every couple of months to use only current SU! product on their swaps.

Along those same lines, if you can't adhere to the swap hostess' guidelines as far as materials, I don't think it would be out of line to say that you should not sign up for that particular swap and should instead find one of the many, many NVR swaps where it's perfectly okay to use those $1 stamps or ink pads. Heck, I've seen several where stuff from the dollar bin was the theme, LOL! :mrgreen:

Call me callous if you wish, but I'm a firm believer in following the parameters laid out by the swap hostess. If you sign up but do not do what the hostess has asked of every participant, then you should be prepared for the possibility that people will not want to swap with you, and have no right to be upset about it.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #78  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryb3View Post
I've been stamping for 5 years and only recently became active in SCS....Yes, call me addicted! I've joined a lot of swaps and have tons of fun making cards and kits to trade. I have received some beautiful artistically made cards and some wonderful kits. You can tell that alot of thought and care went into these. Sadly, I have also received some of very poor quality- crooked sayings, smudged images etc. Just wanted to put this out there. I'm now being more selective in those I join. Thanks especially to all the hostesses who set standards and stick to them.
I am more of a quilter than a stamper, but I don't participate in quilting swaps for this same reason. The officers can plead for only high-quality fabrics and workmanship, but there are always those who don't abide by those guidelines. Maybe it's a difference of standards in people, but I just stay out of them to avoid the aggravation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #79  
Crimping Master

As for never telling someone that their cards were awful- well, the OP just did that, didn't she? Don't you think that quite a few people who have been in swaps with her are wondering, unhappily, tonight if they are the ones she is talking about? As possibly are the swappers who exchanged with the ones who agreed with her about receiving "bad" cards. How do you think the folks who were in one of the above poster's swaps feel now that she has announced that she threw everything she got in a swap away?

It's no wonder that many are intimidated. Why would anyone risk this kind of public hurt and humiliation?[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I have seen my mother make cards (all SU! products from me). She has done it for years- loves doing it- spends HOURS on a card- and it breaks my heart to read this thread and know that many of the swappers would be unhappy. Even though it is SU quality products.

Yes, i've seen swappers roll their eyes when someone hands them a card- right in front of the creator. Grumble, walk off, shove it in a bag. It is hurtful.

Can't we all just follow thumper's mom in bambi ---

"If you can't say somethin' nice- don't say anything at all!":mrgreen:

And you know what- my mom's friends would love to have a card made by Sherry- knowing the time, effort and heart being put into it. So maybe some of us are better off sending to family and friends and not putting our stuff out there to be judged... Isn't that the oppsite of what this art-pass time- creative outlet (what ever you are using it for) is all about?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #80  
Mad Swapper

i was in a swap in another group, for Christmas cards, and there were rules placed on the swap that i followed and others didn't. I exchanged 16 double-mounted, two embellishment cads, and one i got back was single mounted and the only embellie it had was a single embossing.
i was disappointed, not because it was not a pretty card (it was one of my favorites, actually), but because the rules hadn't been followed. If there had been a ribbon or brad slapped on the card it would have met requirements and i would have been happier.
i understand 'quality products' are subjective (although construction paper is pretty bad LOL), but following the rules is pretty concrete.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes