Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Another take on this: Although my sweet mother and father passed away many years ago, I do still make Mother's Day and Father's Day cards.

I send them to some of my friends and family each year who are mothers and fathers. Several of them called to say they are appreciated, and were the only cards they received in the mail! Turns out their children just call, come by, or send an email and they loved getting something in the mail!

Here is last year's Mother's Day card that I sent:
Hilarious! Love it...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp0654View Post
I have a hard time finding sentiments coming from more than one person. For exmple, we, our, from both of us, from all of us. Seems like everything is Me and I. Great thread!
And I have the opposite problem: I can't use the "we" sentiments unless I include the dog. Well... on second thought, some of the people I know would totally get that I was including Toby.

But I would love to find a "Merry Christmas from my house to yours." I have the "Boards & Beams" stamp set from Papertrey Ink; they came out later with additions, which includes a snowman, a Christmas tree, snow for the roof and eaves, a wreath for the door, etc. I've had the set for years, and although I've used it, I haven't been able to use it for my Christmas cards.

So if anyone reading this is able to do some enabling, I would appreciate it. Toby? Not so much... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
And I have the opposite problem: I can't use the "we" sentiments unless I include the dog. Well... on second thought, some of the people I know would totally get that I was including Toby.
Use a little paw print stamp along with your signature, that way it is officially from you and Toby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE that idea, Melissa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #45  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine who makes lots of cards doesn't care for the wishes stamps. What does Birthday Wishes mean she says. I really have trouble with the command stamps or message stamps. I only send thinking of you type sentiments to ill people. Get well soon doesn't work for chronic illness. If you have a grandchild with the flu, "I hope you get well soon" works, otherwise not. I actually throw away the preachy ones in sets. I have one that says "....well that stinks" that my closer friends think is funny. I have a "life is difficult, nap hard" that can work. Hope you have a lovely birthday is one of my favorites. I do some puns but only for little grandchildren. There is an Ali Edwards thanks set that I use a lot. One of them says "big time thanks to you for lots of reasons." Another in that set allows you to actually list the things you are thanking them for by leaving blanks, "thanks for this_____ and for this____and oh yeah this_______" that works for very close fiends. Otherwise I play it safe and just put a little note inside and maybe one word on the outside like congrats, thank you , etc. Glad to hear that others struggle with these odd greetings. I thought I was just being a curmudgeon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing wrong with curmudgeons: they bring new life to sarcasm, and they create a whole new market for stamp designers. ;>)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe that sentiment is one you would use cut up from other sentiments Not a bad Idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #48  
Crimping Master

Like the paw print idea. Nice touch. Just ordered a paw print and some dog/cat sentiments from SSS. This new set has nice sentiments. When our vet sent us a card some years ago after we lost our dog I realized how important that was to people I knew to get those kinds of cards. Most of my friends include their pet in their family Christmas pics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
How about this from a Unity set...

all our knowledge has its origin in our perceptions

Maybe an art journal thing? Anyone want this stamp? I'll send it to you.
I wanted to let everyone know that Victoria very generously sent me this stamp...which I will find good use for in collage art! And she sent a lovely floral card in a homemade envelope (great way to use up some of the paper stash!). THANK YOU!
Attached Thumbnails
Lets talk sentiments...-img_20160224_175802123.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm standing on the side of the room with the other Pun lovers.

I have problems with Sympathy cards. I am not religious and neither are many of my family and friends. It's hard to find a good sympathy sentiment that doesn't involve prayers or God and that say more than just "With Sympathy".

I don't think I can have too many "Happy Birthday" or "Thank You" stamps. I prefer having many different sizes and fonts.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdyBethView Post
I'm standing on the side of the room with the other Pun lovers.

I have problems with Sympathy cards. I am not religious and neither are many of my family and friends. It's hard to find a good sympathy sentiment that doesn't involve prayers or God and that say more than just "With Sympathy".

I don't think I can have too many "Happy Birthday" or "Thank You" stamps. I prefer having many different sizes and fonts.
I feel the same way you do about Sympathy cards. I finally found some sentiments I liked. I usually put "With Sympathy" on the front, and print out one of these verses on my computer for the inside. I print it on a liner and attach it inside the card:

"Wishing you strength for today
and hope for tomorrow."

"Sending you loving thoughts and
heartfelt sympathy."

"May you find peace and comfort in this difficult time."

"May you find comfort in your loving memories."

"Words convey so little when the heart feels so much.
You are in our thoughts."

"May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead."

"May you find peace and love in the memories you cherish."

"May hope sustain you, friends surround you, and love give you strength."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

How did I miss this fun thread!? I am glad it surfaced again!

You know I *had* to look at the sentiment on the card Victoria sent the stamp in LOL Pretty card! And btw that creation was AMAZING Marge!

Having all kinds of friends, I need all kinds of sentiments. Some need plain and some love snarky and sometimes a bit of mush is good when an old friend has stepped up and done something extra special...it's not likely I would make the same card for Grandma I would for my GFs.

Being a curmudgeon...well. It's just expected I might whip out a crack on a birthday...like I love that Mother's day card! AI is my good pal and partner in crime on those. There are a few others who just do the sentiments and then I pair them with an image.

I never view a sentiment as a command. It would just never occur to me unless they put a soldier with it. But that's just me. Hey if you commanding me to get better works, yay for me! Rattle at me every time I get a cold!

Stating the obvious is not my thing..."you've had a baby" for example. I dont know anyone who wouldnt say "Really? Is that what that is?" LOL

I agree the bliss, etc stuff is for journals.

Yes, mixing snark and regular is not necessarily a good thing in a set. Snark is definitely a niche group. It's kind of like the maker is saying "shhh...we are going to slip in this bit of naughty!"

I have gotten images with sentiments I will never use...but that's what sales were made for! Never pay full price for that! And then throw in the trading/giving pile for the next time your friends come over! I always say it isnt that there is something wrong with the sentiment-just isnt my thing

It is true I havent seen any from "my" house-it's always "our" house...can you cut it up and stick in my? The companies could make some sets to come from single people!

Speaking of...I have some "I" based sentiments and I like them, but then again, who sends that? It's one thing to tell someone to pursue their dreams, but "I dreamed and therefore I soared" (I made that up but you know what I mean) is an odd thing unless that's for journals too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 495 Likes on 274 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
How did I miss this fun thread!? I am glad it surfaced again!

You know I *had* to look at the sentiment on the card Victoria sent the stamp in LOL Pretty card! And btw that creation was AMAZING Marge!

Having all kinds of friends, I need all kinds of sentiments. Some need plain and some love snarky and sometimes a bit of mush is good when an old friend has stepped up and done something extra special...it's not likely I would make the same card for Grandma I would for my GFs.

Being a curmudgeon...well. It's just expected I might whip out a crack on a birthday...like I love that Mother's day card! AI is my good pal and partner in crime on those. There are a few others who just do the sentiments and then I pair them with an image.

I never view a sentiment as a command. It would just never occur to me unless they put a soldier with it. But that's just me. Hey if you commanding me to get better works, yay for me! Rattle at me every time I get a cold!

Stating the obvious is not my thing..."you've had a baby" for example. I dont know anyone who wouldnt say "Really? Is that what that is?" LOL

I agree the bliss, etc stuff is for journals.

Yes, mixing snark and regular is not necessarily a good thing in a set. Snark is definitely a niche group. It's kind of like the maker is saying "shhh...we are going to slip in this bit of naughty!"

I have gotten images with sentiments I will never use...but that's what sales were made for! Never pay full price for that! And then throw in the trading/giving pile for the next time your friends come over! I always say it isnt that there is something wrong with the sentiment-just isnt my thing

It is true I havent seen any from "my" house-it's always "our" house...can you cut it up and stick in my? The companies could make some sets to come from single people!

Speaking of...I have some "I" based sentiments and I like them, but then again, who sends that? It's one thing to tell someone to pursue their dreams, but "I dreamed and therefore I soared" (I made that up but you know what I mean) is an odd thing unless that's for journals too.
I'm also a big fan of AI- I find their snarky sentiments very me. But you guys have not seen weird & snarky until you have purchased a pound of unmounted rubber from Viva Las Vegastamps! A veritable cornucopia of the strange and unusual. Among the ones I found funny "Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth" or "Marriage is not a word...it's a sentence" or "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them".

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #54  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I like DRS Designs too..."Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"....

But they also have some really cool stuff like a Fireman's Prayer, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I feel the same way you do about Sympathy cards. I finally found some sentiments I liked. I usually put "With Sympathy" on the front, and print out one of these verses on my computer for the inside. I print it on a liner and attach it inside the card:
Love those sayings...thanks! CTMH had a great set recently that I like a lot.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #56  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I like DRS Designs too..."Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"....

But they also have some really cool stuff like a Fireman's Prayer, etc.
I really like the chewing one!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #57  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Loving this thread!

For those looking for non-religious sympathy stamps I have two "poems" that I use.

This one ("Something Beautiful Remains ") is available as a stamp. I recently PIFd away one from Seaside Stamping Ink (I hope I remembered the name correctly) because I bought the same sentiment from Technique Junkies (it was time for a different font, kwim):

Something Beautiful Remains - Technique Junkies

The second poem is usually credited as an Eskimo proverb. Many companies offer it. I like the one used by susanbri on this card:

Eskimo Legend Sympathy by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

But I own one by Technique Junkies (it's part of the With Sympathy set):
With Sympathy, Set of 5 - Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

I love this sympathy set by Papertrey Ink: https://www.papertreyink.com/stamps/...thy-stamp-set/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #59  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I love this sympathy set by Papertrey Ink: https://www.papertreyink.com/stamps/...thy-stamp-set/
Tha's a nice variety. I also like the font.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
How about this from a Unity set...

all our knowledge has its origin in our perceptions

Maybe an art journal thing? Anyone want this stamp? I'll send it to you.
Seriously? That stamp needs to live at the landfill!

Edited to add: It's just not my thing...lol...but maybe for art journaling, etc.

Edited again: Thank you for still liking me

Last edited by CottageBliss; 02-26-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

I would love a stamp that had only this: "Seriously?"

If there's one out there, and I'm sure there is, somebody point me in the right direction.

Cottagebliss, you're not the one who dumped pizza on Lydia's couch, are you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 06:18 AM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
Seriously? That stamp needs to live at the landfill!

Edited to add: It's just not my thing...lol...but maybe for art journaling, etc.

Edited again: Thank you for still liking me
I can't tell you how happy I was to find a home for it elsewhere. I have probably 20 other sentiment stamps I'll never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

The worst sentiment stamp I have came with a beautiful Bride and groom.
"If nothing lasts forever....Let me be your Nothing" What?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #64  
Cardstock Collector

Maple Leaf

The issue I have now is that I have way too many stamps that are wedding themed. I have 3 of my favorite sentiment stamps. one says "your just jealous because the voices talk only to me" and the other one is "I always take life with a grain of salt...plus a slice of lemon...ad a shot of tequila" and the last sentiment stamp I actually really love but really don't use it all is "Marriage is like a deck of cards, in the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond, by the end you wish you had a club and a spade"
:p
Old 02-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #65  
Kookie Creator

I'm one who loves the snarky, twisted humor, and sometimes punny/cutesy sentiments. They would usually be expected from me though.

I am a fan of sentiments from Ai, Riley & company funny bones, and Dyan Reaveley, etc. However, I do know that they're not appropriate for certain people or situations.

Many not so favorite sentiments can work great (imo) split or paired with other sentiments or images from different sets (sometimes the right image/images make all the difference (I pair and mix and match those too, or use just a part of an image). Sometimes, I'll put a nice sentiment on the outside and then hit them with something snarky inside. You can make your own sentiments up just by changing, removing, or adding one word. I do buy sentiments for images or images for sentiments I have that seem to have been made for each other. I also get more use out of both my sentiments and images because of all this rambling I've done here. There are just so many more options.

That being said, I also agree about some probably being of no use to me (yolo, for example is one I personally don't like, but I would use it if I were making a card for someone who actually says that a lot, just to tease them.) There were also others that I thought of how I would/could use them, even the "meh" for a Valentine. That one took me a minute though. ;)

This thread is making me think ...some of those sentiments mentioned, I never would've thought that they would rub someone the wrong way or offend them. That's the last thing I want to do. Often, I don't post projects because I just know they're questionable or would be offensive to some.

I also try to be careful when making things for people I don't really know but EEEK, I'm kind of more nervous now... I'm in an ATC swap and now I wonder how many times someone has cringed or said, "Seriously?" when receiving some of them, especially because my "style" (lol) is pretty different from the rest of the ladies'. I guess I just need to remind myself that you simply can't please everyone.

Everyone has their preferences and that's part of what makes it fun.

Sorry for such a long post. That's what happens when I wake up at 3, can't get back to sleep, and am feeling chatty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #66  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I have a stamp I bought because I thought it was seriously funny. I don't know who I could make a card with it for but, it really goes well with the farmer in the AI Michaels gardening set. The stamp says: " If you can't be the sharpest tool in the shed.. At least you can be the hoe." The farmer is holding a hoe. 😜
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #67  
Crimping Master

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

But I would love to find a "Merry Christmas from my house to yours."
So if anyone reading this is able to do some enabling, I would appreciate it. Toby? Not so much... ;)
Do you still need one? I'll have a look in my Christmas tub. I might have one I can part with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #68  
Mad Swapper

Yes to "...from MY house to yours" vs. "OUR house." Someone please let me know if you find a stamp like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

I do consider myself a religious person. However, with the exception of my grown sons, most of my family and friends are not. I recently went on a search for non-religious sympathy stamps and ended up getting these, which I think will be perfect for my needs:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

I tend to print a lot of my own sentiments. While I can use a variety of fonts, I just can't get the artistic placement of the words and letters that are available in stamp form. I wish I could do calligraphy and then I could do away with my need for most sentiment stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #71  
Mad Swapper

That sympathy stamp set is so perfect Melissa – thanks for posting about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

That is my kind of humor and it's farm related!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I have a stamp I bought because I thought it was seriously funny. I don't know who I could make a card with it for but, it really goes well with the farmer in the AI Michaels gardening set. The stamp says: " If you can't be the sharpest tool in the shed.. At least you can be the hoe." The farmer is holding a hoe. 😜
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean County StamperView Post
That is my kind of humor and it's farm related!
Wish the AI set included THAT sentiment! I think it's a hoot! (I have the set)

I just made a card for a birthday party yesterday using that gardening set, and had to make the birthday gal read "I'm so excited, I wet my plants" over (and over, and over) until she actually realized it said PLANTS. Sometimes the eye sees what the eye wants to see, I guess. But she did think it was hysterical.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Wondering if anyone else has my occasionally dark sense of humour...
Whenever I'm browsing sentiment stamp sets that have interchangeable words designed to combine into phrases (e.g., "you are" "amazing" "so special" "a great friend") I play a little game with myself to see how many horrendous combinations I can think up. It's not a slur in any way on the stamp set (nor any indication of how I'd actually use it) but for some reason I just find it devilishly fun.

A recent set I was looking at on the theme of "the best things in life..." could produce:
Babies are made of chocolate
Shoes come from heaven
Things aren't free

... to name a few. :twisted:

But on a less kooky note, I do agree with what others have said here that it takes all kinds and one person's "reserved" is another's "staid," one person's "warm" is another's "gushing," etc. But I know the feeling of liking MOST of a stamp set but having something in there that just seems out of whack with the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #75  
Crimping Master

I agree. There is something for everyone. I hadn't thought of putting together some of my own. A friend sent me one that says "Poo Poo Occurs" I bet I could come up with something to go with the poo poo.

I did see a new set today though that I wondered if many would buy. One of the sentiments was, "I'm glad you are stuck with me." It had a cactus, but still. The other one was about thanking the person for putting up with them when they are prickly. I think I would just write a sorry I was a pain note instead of expecting people to put up with me and thanking them for it. I might be overthinking that though.

Oddly with sympathy sentiments my Pawprints set from SSS works the best for close friends who were couples. The ones that transfer to people are "Always Remembered" "Forever in our Hearts" and "Loved and Missed" I think when you have lost someone it helps to know that your friends valued that person and remember, love, and miss them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #76  
Crimping Master

Buggainok I meant to say that I really liked the sympathy sentiments you came up with. Those all set the right tone with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #77  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I did see a new set today though that I wondered if many would buy. One of the sentiments was, "I'm glad you are stuck with me." It had a cactus, but still. The other one was about thanking the person for putting up with them when they are prickly. I think I would just write a sorry I was a pain note instead of expecting people to put up with me and thanking them for it. I might be overthinking that though.
Another one for the cactus, but the audience would almost certainly be limited:

You make me thorny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #78  
Watercolor Wizard

[QUOTE=maryalena;
I did see a new set today though that I wondered if many would buy. One of the sentiments was, "I'm glad you are stuck with me." It had a cactus, but still. The other one was about thanking the person for putting up with them when they are prickly.

I could REALLY use a set like this- Who makes it?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #79  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I am looking for some encouragement stamp sets.... such as, worst day ever.... hope tomorrow will be better, or just keep swimming etc. Does anyone have any ideas/sources? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #80  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I am looking for some encouragement stamp sets.... such as, worst day ever.... hope tomorrow will be better, or just keep swimming etc. Does anyone have any ideas/sources? TIA
Hero Arts has a just keep swimming sentiment in their goldfish set, and Stampin' Up! has a humorous "sorry" type set.

Reply With Quote Likes