Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my scraps in a large semi clear zip folder. Whenever I'm working on a project and I just need that small bit of scrap to make something and I actually find the color I need, I get a thrill. And I may even woo-hoo to myself! LOL. Is that just a stamper geek or what?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #42  
Forum Fanatic

I currently use the file hanging deal but I am going to use my empty SU! clear stamp boxes and put my scraps in there by color and like colors and then put those labeled right in front of me in a cute square basket for easy access.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use large plastic bags and keep my scraps organized in the rainbow colors + browns, whites and grey/blacks. There isn't a scrap too small -- well maybe the really thin slices -- but I have some pretty itty, bitty pieces and every once in a while they come in handy. In the meantime, they aren't doing any harm in the bag. I always go to my bags before I go to full cardstock. I have patterened pieces in a separate system, but also rainbow + org. (sorta) system. The bags are stored in a bin and like the cardstock, kept away form direct sunlight. I have another place where I keep "extras" of stamped images, but you're not asking about that... and until this post, I never saw myself as anal! Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #44  
Crimping Master

I used to keep the scraps in a pile on my desk so I was forced to use them first before cutting a new sheet of paper. But that didn't work for me because my desk always looked like a mess. Then I went to a file folder from Pottery Barn with 6 pockets. I used one section for each color family, one for patterned scraps, and one for inspirations and color combos I cut from magazines. This works well as it is neat and portable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

This is going to sound so sick and organized... but I swear I am a total mess in many other ways!

I have these amazing 9 X 11 1/2 inch CLEAR stackable bins that I keep my scraps in... I sort them by Color group, and I keep the white and vanilla scraps separately... so in 6 boxes; BB, SS, EE, RR, Neutrals and white/vanilla. The 12x12 colored scraps in a 12x12 box... and the 12X12 PRINTED papers in another box. Then I keep leftovers from workshops (which are usually cards just ready to be made) in zip locks... stacked in a clear tote. I also keep a large bin next to my stamping area.. and as I work I place scraps there and then I sort them when I get the chance....

And unfinished projects go in a big tray... and little embelishments or focal points I stamped/made but never used go in a little bin...

It's a mess really! too many boxes!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

Outta sight, outta mind - therefore I keep my SU scraps in a small (9x7) rectangular bucket ON MY DESK so that I will use them.

I keep anything 1-inch square or larger, and sometimes long skinny strips to use as accents.

I have everything (pads, etc) organized by 'rainbow' and cardstock scraps are sorted in the large gusset cellophane bags:
1. black/white/gray
2. vanilla/cream/brown
3. green
4. yellow/orange
5. red
6. pink/purple
7. blue
8. aqua

Designer Series scraps are stored with the full sheets in their wrapper - I just slit open the top. These are in alpha order in our vertical paper holders.

Non-SU papers are similarly sorted into a zip-close 3-ring binder. These are in the bottom drawer of my desk for quick access.

Guess I should add a few photos to my scrap room gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a rolling hanging file system. Divided into color families, and in the color order of the catalog, each color is in its own file. Full sheets and half sheets go into each color file. A cover goes over the whole thing for dust protection and it just looks prettier (it's a Waverly print). For anything less than that, I used labeled plastic containers, one per family plus neutrals, and they store in a cabinet right under my stamp counter. It works for me.

My patterned papers are an Iris SB cart, and divided into various drawers, and divided within each drawer by the cardboard backing from each paper:

Current mini catalog papers in one drawer
Catalog designer papers, cardstock weight in another
Catalog designer papers, paper weight in another
Retired cardstock in another, both weights.
12 x 12 SU! Cardstock in another
Non SU! papers in another.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep my scraps in page protectors in a binder. They are organized by SU color families, with 2 or 3 colors per protector, depending on how much I use that color. :-) I keep most long strips (depends on my mood when cleaning up) and anything I can punch a tag from.

This binder sits on the floor next to my chair. I always reach there first for a small piece. My half sheets or larger are in my file folders with the full sheets. These take up 2 drawers in a large filing cabinet.

I will confess that when I'm cleaning up, I throw all my scraps in a shoebox bin on my table. Periodically it gets too full, so my daughter and I sort them into the page protectors. It's good to have teenaged daughters. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

i just found this & thought i'd join in...i used to keep mine in a large plastic drawer...then when i was visiting family back home i saw how my aunt (SU DEMO!)had hers.....she puts hers in large hefty ziploc baggies & then hangs them in her closet! she puts like colors together....so i have started to sort mine & i'm getting there! gotta go get some more bags ....started with 5! :mrgreen: i'll still use the plastic drawer, probably for my prints/ BG papers....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Here are my scraps in binders. Each color has a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in the sheet protector so that they will stand up and I just slide the pieces parts infront of the full sheet. The 2 white binders have the four family colors (2 in each binder) and the black binder has the "in colors" and the neutral colors. This is the way I use my scraps and they are kept to a minimum since the binder is right there on the table and I just flip through the colors. Yes it took a little time doing it and yes it brinks on the edge of some serious OCD since the color names are in the color of the paper. But it was all well worth it in the end. No more boxes, bins and sorting through anything.
Hope this helps.:-D
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about scrap storage!-dsc00003.jpg   Let's talk about scrap storage!-dsc00002-2-.jpg  

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

I keep my full sheets in hanging files. I found that I was forever measuring scraps to see how big they were. Now I have boxes that are 1/2 sheet size. I have a box for all 1/2 and 1/4 sheets. Then I measure the width of all my scraps and put them in one of four boxes - an even inch width, something and 1/4 inch width, something and 1/2 inch width, and something and 3/4 inch width. Then when I look in say the 1/4 inch box, I can easily see the difference between a 1 1/4 inch width and a 2 1/4 inch width, or a 3 1/4 inch width. It makes finding scraps much faster for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 05:14 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Smile Scraps

Wow! I'm impressed. What organization for scraps! I keep a huge plastic bin by my work space to just drop my scraps in. No organization whatsoever.

** CHECK ** OUT ** MY ** GALLERY **
"Organized people are just too lazy to look for things!"
and
"Stamping is an addiction and therapy, all rolled into one."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 AM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

I keep scraps that could be reused for ATC-making, or for a stamped card add-on. I don't have a particular measurement in mind--do it by eye. The rest of the scraps go in an oblong 2lb candy box. When the box is almost full, I pull out pieces in coordinating colours, glue them on an 8�x11 cs page, cutting to fit--those little slivers come in handy! When the page is full and dry, I cut it into ATC-sized or 4x5-background sized pieces, or make serendipity squares.
Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, this is what I do.
I have a 3" x 5" snap box for each punch I own. Scraps to little to layer, are punched and put into the labeled box.

Larger scraps are cut into several sizes of useable layers (these are in groups of colors, by size) in a 10" wide by 4" deep by 6" high, clear box I get at Staples. I have 2 of these full of pre-cut layers. I have one full of printed or dual-sides pre-cut layers.

All A-2 cut cardstock is also in the 10x4x6 boxes also, but brand, TAC, SU, DCWV, LSS, SIE, Scenic Route, et. I have 3 of these boxes full of A-2 cut CS ready to make a card.

Any paper that is larger that A-2 size, is placed into one of three Vertical clear sting folder. One of solid CS, one for print CS and one for dual sided CS. This way all usable scraps are at my finger tips and will be used.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

My full sheets are in hanging files (8 x 1/11 in drawers and 12 x 12 on rolling cart underneath desktop. But I keep my scraps in manilla file folders by family - blue/green, red/orange, pink/purple, etc. sitting in a basket ON THE DESKTOP. Any piece that is not big enough to make a card from goes in the scrap basket, and for the most part anything less than an inch square goes in the trash. I find by having scraps just a SMIDGE more convenient than the full sheets when I'm stamping that I use up a lot more scraps. Also having them grouped like I do, there is a natural tendency to use more than a single color - for example - if I'm looking for pink - I can often use a purple scrap while I'm at it.

This seems to work for me as I have not been accumulating scraps since I started using this method.
In quaint, quiet, quirky little Darmstadt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a little late here but I also have my paper in file drawers in folders. I keep the fulls in the back and scraps in the front. I try not to keep anything smaller than 2 x 2 cuz I dont know that I would use it. I typically use the "make a big pile" technique and then when it is sort and put away day I go thru them. If I run across ones I wont use or the nice strips for "weaving" that I dont usually use I put them in a bag and give them to a group of my friends/customers who are new to stamping but like to match with their cardstock. It probably decreases paper sales, but at the same time it helps them save money for stamps and other things they want. I know they will come back for CS when they need it and I dont feel like I am throwing away pieces that might be useable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 06:40 AM   #57  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

This is the first time I've ever e-mailed anything to Splitcoaststampers but couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell you how great your Color Combo is. I am looking forward to trying some of the combinations. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM   #58  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

This is the first time I've ever e-mailed anything to Splitcoaststampers but couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell you how great your Color Combo is. I am looking forward to trying some of the combinations. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by speale
I have a hanging file folder thingy that holds all my CS. One folder for each color. Scrap go in the same folder as the full sheets.
If it is too complicated, I don't do it and they end up in a pile in the corner of my desk!
Ditto for me!
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

When I buy C/S (always 12 x 12), I put each color in a 12.5 x 12.5 plastic bag (I got them on a website years ago...) When I have scrap, I put them in a gallon sized plastic bag, and just slide them in the same bag as the full sheets are kept. This way they are always right there with the same color of full sized cardstock. I've done this for about 12 years and it's always been very easy and convenient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #61  
Gabfest Goddess

I store ALL my scraps that are under 2# in my round file, I guess it is really square and pink. Everything else goes on top of the color. Wow! I can't believe all the scraps that you all save. You would have a hay day in my "round file" that is about to go out and see it's dad "the big square green file" today!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #62  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because I'm a visual stamper (?), I must see my scraps to use them. Therefore, I have envelope boxes (250 envelopes per) that I put all the scraps in. I do a sort-of-organization in each box: blues/purples, greens, red/pinks/rubys, yellows/browns/rusts. All I do is name it greens, blues, etc. and dump them in there. One envelope box is just for whites/vanillas/vellum, etc. It's my biggest envelope box and since I use those the most, it is more subdivided than the colors. Then I just keep these on my desk so I can use those up pretty quickly before slicing into larger paper.

I also keep 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 sized cs in another envelope box. All boxes are on my desk. Works for me.

Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #63  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for sharing the pictures of your craft room. I even shared them with my husband. It inspired him to help me get things in order. You're a life saver. A picture is worth a thousand words!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #64  
Gabfest Goddess

I just went and took pictures. Here is how I store my scraps with my cardstock.......

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #65  
Embossing Fanatic

I saw this on SCS a while back, but I do not remember who posted it originally.

You use the large SU! stamp boxes. I labeled the ends of them - two each - for the color families, plus one for Neutrals and another for In Color. Then I labeled the tops of them with the colors in the box - six per box. Like this:

Bold Brights 1
Brilliant Blue
Gable Green
Glorious Green
Green Galore
Lovely Lilac
Only Orange
Bold Brights 2
Orchid Opulence
Pink Passion
Pixie Pink
Real Red
Tempting Turquiose
Yoyo Yellow

Anything smaller than 1/4 sheet goes in these boxes - 1/4 sheet or larger gets stored with the full 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. The boxes are small enough to keep very handy, the end labels let me know which color family I am grabbing, and since they are in alphabetical order, I know which box (1 or 2) to grab.
Every moment is a treasure to be snatched from the quagmire of beckoning eternity and transmuted, by the magic qualities of enterprise and dedication and sheer damned guts, into the pure fragrant gold of success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #66  
Compulsive Stamper

Default scraps galore!!

I put my scraps in a big ziplock, write the name of the color in the top left hand corner - big - and put them in a basket - easy to get to and easy to see what ya got!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

I have a 9x12 envelope for each color. I keep them in alphabetical order--but I've numbered each one to make it easier to put back. They all fit in a clear sterlite container--without the lid. The size is nice because it fits in one of the wire cubes from Target.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Small scraps in one large ziploc; large scraps in another large ziploc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #69  
Mad Swapper

Default scraps abound

This is so great to read this thread! Just a few weeks ago, I thought about searching the forum for this topic.

I actually do something very similar. When my pile gets too high after my last few projects, I refile them in a penaflex folder. My penaflex folders are stored Alphabetically. The tabs are in color, but I need to reorganize because it seems that I am always looking for ruby red, etc. Anyway, I have a file folder in each penaflex that holds the scraps that are not a 1/2 sheet or quarter sheet. This is easy to pull out and check my scrap situation. My 12 x 12 sheets are organized in a CM 12 x 12 paper holder. The only problem is that it's hard to organize those pages so I end up looking through each one, and the organizer is starting to burst.

I throw away my small scraps about 1/2" or smaller because I know that I will never use all my scraps - Hey! that would be a good challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #70  
Cardstock Collector

I do not have a dedicated stamping space. All my supplies (not stamps) are in a rolling tool box that has two levels. The bottom level is where my paper goes. I have an accordian folder with about 6 dividers. My 8 1/2 x 11 & half sheets go in there organized by color group, or neutrals. Smaller than that goes into a quart size ziploc bag. One quart bag for each color group. Maybe in 15 years or so when my kids leave for college, I'll get a stamping room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

I use large plastic bags and put all the same colors together in one bag. Then I put them in the file cabinet and placethe bags with the simular colors.
works great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #72  
Glitter Queen

I have two large hanging file plastic bins that I got at Office Max where I keep my scraps..I started just putting them in the hanging folders but since it seems I keep even the small pieces it was getting a bit messy. So inside each folder I have a gallon zip lock with all the scraps of that color. When I'm preparing for a class/workshop I grab the bag of the color and try to use up the scraps first. It has worked out pretty well for me...I just need to be less of a pack rat and actually throw away some of the smaller pieces. I keep thinking I'm going to use a punch and make loads of embellishments with all the little pieces!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 02:17 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

Default Scraps organized

I put my scraps in envelopes that are 7x7 and then I put them in a media box (the one from Rubbermaid) in the SU! color groups. Of course you could do whatever grouping you would want..lol Here are links to the pics of them. Or you can see my gallery if you want.

JJ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

I have a wooden box I bought that sits on a metal stand, which is quite nice looking. It holds all my 8.5 x 11 SU color cardstock in hanging folders. They are arranged by color family, with both printed and color labels. The label has the color family, the color name and the color number. One file folder holds one full package of paper.

I put anything sized a half sheet of paper or smaller into one of the cello bags from SU - exactly the size of a half sheet of paper - which are each labeled with the same file label I made for the folder. This goes into the front of the folder.

When I am looking for either a piece of paper, or a scrap, I go to the folder. I pull out my cello bag. If I need a full sheet, I pull that out too. I keep the cello bag handy while I am building my project. When I am finished, all the scraps go in the correct bag, which, even if empty, is labeled (!) and then gets filed in the correct folder.

When I receive new paper, which only has the item number on it, I can easily find the correct folder because my labels have the item number on them.

This system really works for me. I set up the same for my daughter, who thought it was genius. All right - I am excited about organizing paper!

I used to have a scrap box, which didn't work out at all, so I came up with this. I still have scraps in the scrap box that haven't been used!

I did notice that I tend to have more Whisper White scraps than any of the other colors. Probably because it is used most. The cello bag is quite thick with scraps.

I have no hard and fast rule about the size of the scrap, but if it is less than a square inch it will probably be tossed in the trash. (It's not wasteful - my time to organize it is worth a little more than the cost of the scrap I am discarding).

I was thinking of getting another of the wooden boxes for my 12 x 12 paper. I am not as well organized with that, but I also use a lot less of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesiana
I suppose that cascading piles on the right side of my desk doesn't really count as "storage" does it?!?

Would "everything goes in a 12x12 ziploc baggie" count??? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a hanging file folder system for all my SU card stock by color families. The whole sheets are in color order (I am anal - but this allow me to see if I am running out of a color) in their own section. Immediately after that section is another marked "Scraps" (ie. Bold Scraps) Then I have 2 plastic sheet proctectors in that section - 1 with pieces smaller than 5.5 x 4.25 pieces in it and the other with the larger scraps (4.24 x 5.5 or 8.5 x 5.5). I also have a rolling file box that hold 12x 12 card stock that I keep my decorative papers and larger card stock in and that is labels by season. I also use the plastic sheet protectors for scraps in that storage box as well. Since both these storage units are on wheels I can roll them where I need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have sorted all my CS by color families in Hanging file folders. Each color has it's own folder with a tab made from that color CS. Inside those folders I have a manila folder that I keep the scraps in. Just for my personal preference, I cut the tabs off of the manila folders with my paper cutter so they wouldn't interfere with the view of my colored tabs. I have found that I am more likely to use a scrap if I can find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #78  
Cardstock Collector

Default What to Do with your Scrap Paper

I use a accordian file and file in colors of the rainbow. but i only keep pieces that are large enough to work with say 3 inch square is about my limit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #79  
Cardstock Collector

Default Storing Scraps

I went to (where else but) Wally World and bought several hanging shoe bag "things". (I don't like that word, but I don't know what else to call them) They hang over doors and have 20 small pouches and two large pouches. If you buy several you have enough room for each color. Now that we have added new colors, I have to get another one... I am lucky enough to have a small craft room that has 2 closet doors and the door into the room so I can hang 5 0r 6 of them.
As for the regular CS. I bought "bankers boxes" from Staples. It took a few of those to sort all of our CS. They are stored sideways across the closet shelf (which means that the paper is stored vertically). Ditto on the fact that I need another of those too...for our new paper.
Mary Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #80  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesiana
I suppose that cascading piles on the right side of my desk doesn't really count as "storage" does it?!?
Uh, I suppose my old SU shipping box doesn't count either... especially since it's overflowing... :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes