Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia_sView Post
Speaking of favorites, it takes forever to delete a favorited card-- I've had some in my file for years now because it takes so long to sit there and delete each one manually (and wait for it to happen). Am I missing an easier way of doing this?

Just wanted to say, Yes, it does take ages, unless you use two windows. Go to your faves and right click on the one you want you want to delete, open in new window. Then remove it from faves, then close that second window. This way, you are always back where you were at in the gallery in your first window. Just repeat as needed.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavablustamperView Post
Hey Kelli!!! I LOVE ya man!! Haha!! You ROCK!!!
Hiya my Friend!!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #43  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bspinksView Post
I totally agree....Amen!
Thanks Becky, glad you understand my comment!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #44  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
I find the comments I get to be sincere and they are encouraging. Getting a favorite is a nice compliment too. Unless it was like someone said they were saving it to show someone later and say "Look at this guy's stuff. ***?" Which actually would be understandable in my case...lol.
LOL!!! I REALLY doubt that.... :mrgreen: Thanks for "getting" what I was saying...:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #45  

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post
My personal rule is that if I favourite a card, I will comment to let the person know why. Even if I don't put something into my favourites but I like something, even just an element about a card, I will leave a comment.
I actually find it discouraging (lol) if tons of people look at my card and I don't get any comments. You know, the whole "if you can't say something nice" thing!
exactly! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #46  

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz_r_usView Post
I think coming in here and yelling at people in red font is kind of rude, KWIM? ;)

Anyway, about leaving not leaving comments and marking as faves, yes, I'm guilty. But if I had a gallery here, I know which I would prefer. And that is my personal feeling, and everyone has the right to their own way of looking at it.

The vast majority of comments I do read on other people's cards are rather gneric, so it's hard to imagine they are actually helpful in terms of future cardmaking. A lot of people here are already upset they don't get enough comments, so I don't think making new rules up about comment-leaving is going to be productive. Just my thoughts.
:confused: ummm, not suggested....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #47  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I just don't understand.

You post a card and would prefer that no one click on it, favorite it, or otherwise look at it unless the person leaves a comment?

When did inaction become rude? When did clicking on favorite become rude if it isn't accompanied by a comment?

What difference does it make? Do you really think the value, beauty, skill, etc. of a card is enhanced if 10 people say they love it? What about only 3? How about 50 favorites and no comments or 50 comments but no favorites?

What if 100 people view, 50 hate it and 50 love it? Or the card is awesome, but it is posted at midnight and no one views it at all? What if one "dirty dozen" designer loves it? Is that worth more than 25 comments from no name stampers?

What if the card is done as part of a challenge and it gets 35 comments but none of the people really mean them, they just comment to be polite and to get comments on their cards?

I don't mean to sound flip or to demean your desire for comments, as I totally understand the fun of getting comments, but I just find the whole thing unrelated to the value of our hobby.

A comment/a view/a favorite is a gift, freely given with no strings.
**sigh**:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #48  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaenasmommyView Post
how about you come here and hold my son so i can have my hands free to type up comments. i'm usually nursing or just holding him. i only have one hand free to control the mouse and dont like typing one handed. takes too long-heck i am doing it now.
i think favouriting a card is even better than a comment because usually it is means someone REALLY loved it.
I think its far more rude to come in here, yell in huge red caps that we aren't commenting.
Right after I get done working my 54 hr/week job not to mention the 30 hrs of OT per 2 weeks, running my DD all around, helping keep my son in College, partake in the FUN of forums, leave comments on cards I see, read blogs, and of course my ALL TIME FAVE... FACEBOOK... :rolleyes: I understand we all have time commitments, so please enjoy holding that baby and nursing typing one handed as you may be, they grow up all too fast!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
:confused: ummm, not suggested....

Okay, maybe I misunderstood your OP. Wasn't it that you want people who fave cards to also leave comments?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #50  

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz_r_usView Post
Okay, maybe I misunderstood your OP. Wasn't it that you want people who fave cards to also leave comments?
LOL!!! Yes , but NOT MAKE IT A RULE... LOL

I want to know WHY it was a fave as another poster pointed out so I know what is "working" on my card.... that's all...:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: The avie is my granddaughter & the bike that she races

I agree with KJ here. And it's odd to see that the ones knocking her have so few posts & NO GALLERY.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just don't understand.

You post a card and would prefer that no one click on it, favorite it, or otherwise look at it unless the person leaves a comment?

When did inaction become rude? When did clicking on favorite become rude if it isn't accompanied by a comment?

What difference does it make? Do you really think the value, beauty, skill, etc. of a card is enhanced if 10 people say they love it? What about only 3? How about 50 favorites and no comments or 50 comments but no favorites?

What if 100 people view, 50 hate it and 50 love it? Or the card is awesome, but it is posted at midnight and no one views it at all? What if one "dirty dozen" designer loves it? Is that worth more than 25 comments from no name stampers?

What if the card is done as part of a challenge and it gets 35 comments but none of the people really mean them, they just comment to be polite and to get comments on their cards?

I don't mean to sound flip or to demean your desire for comments, as I totally understand the fun of getting comments, but I just find the whole thing unrelated to the value of our hobby.

I guess that you would know what rude is. And I suppose that you don't enjoy the comments left in your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #53  

Quote:

Originally Posted by celestial_stamperView Post
I guess that you would know what rude is. And I suppose that you don't enjoy the comments left in your gallery.
Hi Kate!!!! **waving wildly!!!**:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I'm really bothered by this. I don't believe Joan was being rude. She was voicing her opinion, and even said she didn't mean to sound flip or demean the OP comments. So why jump on her??
To the OP, I guess I am just thankful to anyone who comments or favorites. In a perfect world when we all had unlimited time for the gallery we could comment forever. But with the size of the gallery and the number of people on SCS it is just not realistic. And to come up with a detailed post about why you like a card just takes too long. Some cards I just like. Or maybe it is the layout not so much the card. But overall I am just thankful for a comment or a favorite - one in the same to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #55  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have stuff in my gallery that have been viewed over a thousand times and there's only 2 comments on some of them. I think the cards kick butt and if no one else does? (shrug) Meh. If you like your card and had a good time making it, the rest is just gravy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

**sigh**:rolleyes:

A few of us have been around SCS since the dawn of time. OK, at least I have. *chuckle*

At any rate, we've seen nearly identical threads on this topic pop up too many times to count any more, as the population on SCS has grown (OK, more like exploded).

Once upon a time it'd be phenomenal to see 100 uploads in the course of a month.

Now, the average exceeds 1,000 PER DAY. :shock:

I'd venture to say there are many stampers who share their creations regardless of views, favorites, or comments because the focus for them is more about the exchange of ideas and inspiration than anything else. ;)

There are plenty of valid reasons why folks don't leave comments when they favorite, or don't favorite when they comment, etc. but, I'll refrain from listing them tonight.

But, if you're sharing in the gallery specifically to get feedback or constructive criticism, you might consider including a direct request for such in the comments section of your upload so that viewers realize this is something you would particularly appreciate. :-D

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

LOL!!! Yes , but NOT MAKE IT A RULE... LOL

I want to know WHY it was a fave as another poster pointed out so I know what is "working" on my card.... that's all...:mrgreen:
but that's what you want. not everyone wants the same. nor can i/we read your mind.
i comment when i have time & i want to do so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I agree with KJ here. And it's odd to see that the ones knocking her have so few posts & NO GALLERY.
i'm not knocking her. i simply don't feel the same..
as for having a gallery. again my choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
A few of us have been around SCS since the dawn of time. OK, at least I have. *chuckle*

At any rate, we've seen nearly identical threads on this topic pop up too many times to count any more, as the population on SCS has grown (OK, more like exploded).

Once upon a time it'd be phenomenal to see 100 uploads in the course of a month.

I'd venture to say there are many stampers who share their creations regardless of views, favorites, or comments because the focus for them is more about the exchange of ideas and inspiration than anything else. ;)

There are plenty of valid reasons why folks don't leave comments when they favorite, or don't favorite when they comment, etc. but, I'll refrain from listing them tonight.

But, if you're sharing in the gallery specifically to get feedback or constructive criticism, you might consider including a direct request for such in the comments section of your upload so that viewers realize this is something you would particularly appreciate. :-D

HTH.
to view 1000 uploads a day. could take alot of my time. add commenting on each-my house would be falling down around me.
i actually try to look at each day's uploads. 96 cards per pg. i click & enlarge when 1 catches my eye. i send that to my email. or print it out.
i do comment-when i can. and i choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #60  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

HTH.
Makes Sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. What would number of posts have to do with anything being discussed in this thread? I fail to see the connection. Does not having enough posts disqualify someone from stating an opinion on what is being discussed? Perhaps I need to know how many posts are needed then.

As for having no gallery, I don't think you should find that odd at all. I'm sure there are lots of reasons people choose not to have a gallery on SCS, especially if they have a gallery eleswhere. I guess not eveybody needs to have a gallery here too. Again, what difference does it make to the discussion at hand?

I already stated that it's basically different strokes for different folks. A lot of the comments on cards are generic, repetitive and feel good. And that's fine. But OP is suggesting they should also perform a function, to assist in future cardmaking. I'm sorry, but that's starting to sound like, "New gallery-viewing and Comment-leaving Rules".

And anytime a card is favorited without a comment, that constitutes rudeness. *I* just feel it is a little ironic to be labeling anyone rude in a post with blaring all caps red font. Least of all, people who found a card they loved for some reason and decided to place in their faves. I mean really, think about it: "Oh, I love that card, I'll put it in my faves so I can look at it again. Oh, wait, better not, I might offend someone if I favorite it and don't leave a constructive type comment". :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #62  

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
to view 1000 uploads a day. could take alot of my time. add commenting on each-my house would be falling down around me.
i actually try to look at each day's uploads. 96 cards per pg. i click & enlarge when 1 catches my eye. i send that to my email. or print it out.
i do comment-when i can. and i choose.
OK, works for you, great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

I give up. This subject is a dead horse. I'd get banned if I really spoke my mind. You have your opinion & I have mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I give up. This subject is a dead horse. I'd get banned if I really spoke my mind. You have your opinion & I have mine.
exactly:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #65  

Quote:

I agree, I guess it doesn't pay to speak your mind if you aren't a who's who as you just get attacked/questioned/accused of being a poor me-er!!!

C'est La Vie...

Night ladies and Carry on!

unsubbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry if I came off rude. That was not my intent and sometimes on the internet what is meant as helpful just comes across wrong.

Just expressing my thoughts. I hope your post encourages others who favorite your cards to leave comments on why they have done so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

So....... after we beat this dead horse can we favorite it without commenting? Or can we just view the dead horse and slowly back away from it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

So....... after we beat this dead horse can we favorite it without commenting? Or can we just view the dead horse and slowly back away from it?
ROFLMAO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

I try to leave as many comments as I can, but I certainly don't have the time to comment on everything! If I did, I'd have no time for making cards myself! I don't comment on stuff that already has a lot of comments, I go to the ones that have few or none.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #70  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I just don't understand.

I agree...

I don't have much in my gallery as I just haven't had time to put them in.

I do love comments and it's fine with me if someone just says "TFS" as it takes time to write comments and what is "meaningful to me" may not be to someone else. I have something in my gallery that has over 1500 views and 5 comments... maybe they just hate it so I don't want to go asking for a truthful comment... ignorance is bliss!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #71  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
ROFLMAO
cracks me up - I was watching Bizzare Foods and they were eating horse... wonder if it's this dead horse?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I agree, I guess it doesn't pay to speak your mind if you aren't a who's who as you just get attacked/questioned/accused of being a poor me-er!!!

C'est La Vie...

Night ladies and Carry on!

unsubbing
i just find it odd. you can state your view. but let others voice theirs. and you leave.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

i just find it odd. you can state your view. but let others voice theirs. and you leave.:confused:
Yeah this was my thought too.

It was a nice reminder until you couldn't handle anyone disagreeing with you. Your ideas aren't the only ones that matter.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #74  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Guess some need to be stroked and told how great they are more than others. Some like to just go about quietly doing their best to make the world a better place for a moment by making and giving cards to those who could use a lift, without the need for recognition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I just don't understand.

As usual, Joan. I totally agree. You really saved me a lot of typing with your post! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That's because the attack on her was made personal & not left as "general". Not everyone posted their opinions here. Enough said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #78  
Rubber Obsessor

:rolleyes: It seems some people just join in threads to stir pots rather than share their opinions on the subject of the discussion. I think I'll go do what I do best: browse the lovely gallery. I'll try to refrain from marking too many as favorites and causing any offense to the cardmakers.:o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

My love langauge is words of affirmation - so a comment to me means more than many may understand. And that's fine. Not everyone feels the same way as I do. I try to always leave a comment when I favorite someone's card - that way when I case it, I remember who to give credit to (believe me, with my memory, I need all the reminders I can get).

Sometimes I click on a card b/c the thumbnail is too small for me to see properly. Ah, the joys of getting old.....no memory, bad eyes..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #80  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Quote:

That's because the attack on her was made personal & not left as "general". Not everyone posted their opinions here. Enough said.
Everything's personal, if you're a person. ;)

Joan's response was to offer a valid difference of opinion to the OP, not an attack.

The Favorite button functions as a bookmark, so you can find something specifically (unless the owner deletes it from the gallery, of course) again. It doesn't necessarily mean the design is "favored" for any specific reason.

In essence, what the OP truly desires, from what I gathered, is detailed (non-generic) affirmation from peeps who view or favorite her designs.

Ok, that's fine; some folks will give it, and some folks won't. Some have time, others don't. Some folks are wordy, and for others, the best they can offer is, "TFS", which means they appreciate the time you took to share your creation, and certainly no less genuine than a lengthier accolade.

But you (generally speaking "you", not you specifically) do tend to get more flies with honey, than vinegar, eh?! *chuckle*

Rather than asserting in a forum post that folks who favorite without leaving a comment as to why, are rude (by this standard, the majority of the SCS population would therefore be considered rude ), I think anyone is more likely to get what they desire if they indicate quite specifically, as I stated before, that they'd appreciate feedback or commentary on why the design held appeal or was favorited.

By the same token,however, most people are loathe to leave unsolicited constructive criticism unless it is asked for, to avoid being rude or perceived as unkind. So, if you *really* want it, you need to ask them for it. And be prepared for the answer. Some will sugar coat it, and others will provide brutal honesty. LOL!

Occasionally someone will post here in the forum, including a link, when they really want/need some constructive criticism or help from their fellow stampers with a particular project design. And, many will respond--most people want to help/be helpful!

Everybody appreciates positive commentary or affirmation on their work. But not everyone shares their artwork here for that reason; many share to give back as so many have generously shared with them, in the sole interest of inspiring each other, no strings attached, as Joan said.

And some peeps don't care one way or the other; they just need a place to archive their artwork. LOL!
Now, where's that horse . . . ?

;)
Reply With Quote Likes