Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Y'know, I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one that saw the new Stamp It (and it's only once a year, sadly) as PTI-heavy. I even started counting the cards that didn't have PTI in them at all, and there were VERY few! Even though I'm an SU demo, I enjoy seeing a variety of companies in these magazines, and in the current Stamp It, there were TONS of cards with those PTI sets with the buttons! It was just goofy - like the whole magazine is a Papertrey advertisement!

I've been a Paper Crafts subscriber since it's FIRST issue and I still enjoy it, but less and less. I think it's very likely that they publish so much PTI because Nicole Heady used to be a Go-To Gal there - she was a BIG part of that magazine for years, until PTI got so big and she just didn't have the time! I think Gina K is just as popular as PTI, but I didn't see much Gina K there. Not to mention SU....

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who noticed this! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #162  
clean and krafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
Y'know, I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one that saw the new Stamp It (and it's only once a year, sadly) as PTI-heavy. I even started counting the cards that didn't have PTI in them at all, and there were VERY few! Even though I'm an SU demo, I enjoy seeing a variety of companies in these magazines, and in the current Stamp It, there were TONS of cards with those PTI sets with the buttons! It was just goofy - like the whole magazine is a Papertrey advertisement!

I've been a Paper Crafts subscriber since it's FIRST issue and I still enjoy it, but less and less. I think it's very likely that they publish so much PTI because Nicole Heady used to be a Go-To Gal there - she was a BIG part of that magazine for years, until PTI got so big and she just didn't have the time! I think Gina K is just as popular as PTI, but I didn't see much Gina K there. Not to mention SU....

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who noticed this! :-)
Actually, I think she was a Paper Crafts Pro, and after her term ended she started PTI...but I am not 100% sure on that.

Have you checked out the newest Go To Sketches mag? I think it was pretty diversified, and I heard the new April issue is starting to hit mailboxes now also!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #163  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
I don't think that's the problem. For your Card Creations 8 coming out next month, I think there were only 14 new designers out of 68. Where's the tru competition in that? That's the same problem with CARDS Magazine as well, which has also dwindled to less than half it's size within the past year. Both magazines feature the same handful of people over and over and over again. While their work is fabulous, we all know their style, it's all the same, and it's featured month after month after month. Frankly, it gets boring. All of us can slap down 3 pieces of DP on a piece of kraft paper, zig zagged together with a button with twine tied through it and a cutesy sentiment, and that's the stuff we're seeing published. There's no true handmade creativity when all that's used is stickers and chipboard. It's like putting together a prefabricated card and there's no talent in that. It's placement luck. I want to see new designers because there's more than 30 people out there who deserve to be published. Get back to the basics of stamping and coloring and having to use your imagination rather than go to Mike's and buy a package. So what do the rest of us do to get published? Study that magazine and they style that they want, which is all the same, try to make a card like what they see, submit it, and still don't get published because the individual is not staying true to their style. That's the only thing that's been a pet peeve of mine in this industry is that we're being deprived in a sense of new blood and talent.

Before I'm accused of sour grapes, I'm published monthly in various industry magazines, but specifically what I'm seeing is the trend mentioned above. I think that CARDS might be catching the clue because I've seen quite a few new names lately and I'm loving it!

I did not mean to ruffle feathers, but that's just the way that I feel.
Cindy,
Before I start, I have a positive tone, so you don't take what I have to say the wrong way
I know you probably didn't mean to, but the tone in your post could be taken negatively. I for one got my feelings hurt just a bit from it. I am newer to getting my work picked up, and I happen to love a simple graphic card. Making a clean and simple card look fresh and new is hard, really hard. I feel like your statement is devaluing my work just a little :(
hugs
Latisha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #164  
Hardware Hotshot

Hey Latisha -- I wanted to let you know that I LOVE your cards. Every time I would see a card in Stamp It or Go To Sketches that I thought was especially cool, I would see your name as the artist. I am your new fan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #165  
Glitter Guru

I'm with the OP . . . imo Paper Crafts has gone downhill. I bought the very 1st issue and subscribed shorty after that and enjoyed the magazine for years. However, I let my subscription go a couple of years ago when each issue was feeling like a repeat to me. I haven't missed it. And that makes me sad! I do flip through the new issues but I've yet to feel the need to buy one.

And Cindy, I thought your post was right on -- thanks for saying it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #166  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1busymomof2View Post
Cindy,
Before I start, I have a positive tone, so you don't take what I have to say the wrong way
I know you probably didn't mean to, but the tone in your post could be taken negatively. I for one got my feelings hurt just a bit from it. I am newer to getting my work picked up, and I happen to love a simple graphic card. Making a clean and simple card look fresh and new is hard, really hard. I feel like your statement is devaluing my work just a little :(
hugs
Latisha
Latisha, I am an admirer of your work and you know that I've CASEd you several times and have given you credit for it as well. That probably wasn't a good example to use so I'll change it to a piece of kraft paper and gluing a Prima flower on. That was the gist of my message, because you (collectively) are popular name with a huge following who get published, not the underdog who might have done a spectacular card but got turned down for the kraft and flower card. That's what I meant and I hope that explains it better.

The last thing that I wanted to do was hurt your feelings, or the feelings of anybody else. I hope that you forgive me.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #167  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't mind simple cards, and I know from first-hand experience that what has a clean and simple look is often one of the most difficult and challenging cards to create. That's not what bothers me about PC and most of the other stamping/scrapbooking magazines out there. What continues to bother me is that we keep seeing the same people published over and over and over again. I feel as if I know some of the designers' children personally because I've watched them grow up over the years in their layouts. And I can often tell who has designed a card simply by looking at it. And I don't think it's a lack of reader submissions. I'm not tooting my own horn, but I'm a pretty good scrapbooker and stamper. I've submitted many cards and scrapbook layouts to various magazines over the years, and I have never gotten published. I've seen the work of many talented stampers and scrapbookers on SCS and other online communities to which I belong. Many of these creative people have submitted their work without being published also. There are many out there whose work is as good as, if not better than, some of the "same old, same old" people we see every month. I also want to see less from their staff and more from their readers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #168  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will admit it seems really hard to get into Papercrafts. I have been sending stuff for years. I don't think I stink and my style is pretty close to the "Papercrafts style". I don't know what the deal is. I mean I still love the magazine, but I WANT IN! haha.

I actually have a stack of cards that are pretty good that I have not shown anywhere. I think I'll submit them all.

OH I wanted to add I was looking in the Go To Sketches book-a-zine and there are a LOT Of cards that are not standard size. All different sizes. So maybe they actually look for that? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #169  
Pearl-ExPert

i agree too - same people over and over again. i have always wondered if they work FOR the magazine and that there are really only a few cards that are actually reader submissions........this is not JUST papercrafts though. i just browsed both the go to sketches and may june issue and they are papertrey heavy but not exclusive.

the style in the magazine is DEFINITELY NOT the style that is so popular on the web scene - it's like two different realms of papercrafting. i too think i am not half bad, have submitted loads of stuff, but have never gotten published in papercrafts. just don't have the thing they are looking for i guess...but i don't geet to hung up on it.

PC DOES seem fairly repetitive and should maybe have more variety and different levels of cards as well as SOMEthing that involves technique....but then again that's what technique junkies is for! i do really love crafts n things - great variety in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #170  
Hardware Hotshot

Paper crafts is one of my FAVORITE magazines...I love every page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #171  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
i agree too - same people over and over again. i have always wondered if they work FOR the magazine and that there are really only a few cards that are actually reader submissions........this is not JUST papercrafts though. i just browsed both the go to sketches and may june issue and they are papertrey heavy but not exclusive.

the style in the magazine is DEFINITELY NOT the style that is so popular on the web scene - it's like two different realms of papercrafting.
i too think i am not half bad, have submitted loads of stuff, but have never gotten published in papercrafts. just don't have the thing they are looking for i guess...but i don't geet to hung up on it.

PC DOES seem fairly repetitive and should maybe have more variety and different levels of cards as well as SOMEthing that involves technique....but then again that's what technique junkies is for! i do really love crafts n things - great variety in there.
I would DEFINITELY agree with this-

Just like what's overwhelmingly popular here as far as card style goes, is totally opposite over at 2peas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #172  
Hardware Hotshot

Strange, but this post seems to have disappeared so I wanted to post to it to see if it will reappear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

I subscribe, but have been disappointed recently too. When they did the recent survey, I replied that Magnolia Rubber Stamps are so HOT and yet they are never featured in the magazine. Magnolia has been around a while, so it's not a case of a new kid on the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #174  
Matboard Maniac

Default I agree....

PaperCrafts and Cardmaker have been bit of a letdown for me. I still do rubber stamped images but since the Cricut has come out, it seems there is less cards with stamps on them.

I do love Stamp It! That mag still is a rubber stamping joy!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #175  
Stazon Splitcoast

I subed to this magazine two months ago. I let my Creating Keepsakes go. What a mistake that was. I am really disappointed in Paper Crafts because it only cards in it! The name is misleading. It's just cards. I got this because I figured there would be several paper projects. Oh well. I just won't get it again. Hopefully the powers that be at this magazine see all of these posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #176  
Pearl-ExPert

I do like their new Go To Sketches issue.

I do agree that there is a smallish group of women who get published, and it would be great to see that expanded. From a business perspective, I wonder if they focus on designers who also have popular blogs, updated daily, etc. Since they are in business to sell magazines, I'm sure they want these ladies to tout their publications on their blogs. That's actually how I found out about the Go To Sketches issue -- seeing it promoted on so many blogs like Dawn McVey, Betsy Veldman, and others. In addition to promoting specific issues, there is the general, "here are my cards that are being published in this month's issue" blog posts. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm wondering if there is a connection between having a popular, active blog and being published and selling more magazines.

As for Magnolia stamps not making it into PC or CARDS, I think it is just not the style of those magazines. Each magazine has its own style, and theirs tend to be more graphic and scrappy. For example, you would also not find the Tim Holz/Vintage/Pointy Hat images from Take Ten/Stampers Sampler in these magazines either.

Both magazines also have blogs with challenges. These challenges tend to draw a larger crowd and more variety than the magazines themselves. That said, their blogs still hold true to their style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #177  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I do like their new Go To Sketches issue.

I do agree that there is a smallish group of women who get published, and it would be great to see that expanded. From a business perspective, I wonder if they focus on designers who also have popular blogs, updated daily, etc. Since they are in business to sell magazines, I'm sure they want these ladies to tout their publications on their blogs. That's actually how I found out about the Go To Sketches issue -- seeing it promoted on so many blogs like Dawn McVey, Betsy Veldman, and others. In addition to promoting specific issues, there is the general, "here are my cards that are being published in this month's issue" blog posts. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm wondering if there is a connection between having a popular, active blog and being published and selling more magazines.

As for Magnolia stamps not making it into PC or CARDS, I think it is just not the style of those magazines. Each magazine has its own style, and theirs tend to be more graphic and scrappy. For example, you would also not find the Tim Holz/Vintage/Pointy Hat images from Take Ten/Stampers Sampler in these magazines either.

Both magazines also have blogs with challenges. These challenges tend to draw a larger crowd and more variety than the magazines themselves. That said, their blogs still hold true to their style.
You may have something there; but from everything I've read, PC insists that the decision to print submissions is done anonymously. They supposedly don't know whose work they are choosing. I find it hard to believe that they just happen to pick the same people over and over without even knowing it. I hope they aren't just publishing people with popular blogs, but you may be right on the money with that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #178  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
You may have something there; but from everything I've read, PC insists that the decision to print submissions is done anonymously. They supposedly don't know whose work they are choosing. I find it hard to believe that they just happen to pick the same people over and over without even knowing it. I hope they aren't just publishing people with popular blogs, but you may be right on the money with that one.
But let's not forget that their blogs are popular because their cards are good and people like them. The intention of my post was not to take anything away from these ladies, because they are talented.

I'm just wondering if there is a virtuous circle going on here: the better their cards are, the more popular their blog is, the more they are published, the more they promote their publications on their blogs, the greater publicity the magazine gets, the more it drives people to the card maker's blog, and so it continues. The key thing is that they have to have good cards to begin with.

I subscribe to both PC and CARDS, and agree it would be nice to see a larger number of cardmakers published. On the other hand, I do like their clean and simple style and would not like it as well if they changed their style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #179  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
But let's not forget that their blogs are popular because their cards are good and people like them. The intention of my post was not to take anything away from these ladies, because they are talented.

I'm just wondering if there is a virtuous circle going on here: the better their cards are, the more popular their blog is, the more they are published, the more they promote their publications on their blogs, the greater publicity the magazine gets, the more it drives people to the card maker's blog, and so it continues. The key thing is that they have to have good cards to begin with.

I subscribe to both PC and CARDS, and agree it would be nice to see a larger number of cardmakers published. On the other hand, I do like their clean and simple style and would not like it as well if they changed their style.
I wasn't saying their cards aren't good, and I'm not trying to take anything away from them either. I just don't think a magazine should "focus on designers who have popular blogs." If they are going to publish only the work of "designers" and not their "readers," and if they know whose work they are publishing, then that's what they should say in their page calls, submission guidelines, and other information. Not everyone has a blog, and not all their readers are designers. It has also been my experience that not all the talented people in this world are popular, and vice versa. Again, my intention is not to take away credit from anyone. I used to really enjoy looking at the readers' galleries, but now they seem to have become designers' showcases.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 04-12-2010 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #180  
Gabfest Goddess

I disagree with the popular blog thing being the reason for getting published. I find that many of the ladies published in PC don't have the most popular blogs out there (in the beginning anyway). I personally think they get the opportunity to serve on some design teams because of the publications. So the blog following tends to come after the publication in many cases. What I mean is it seems that some companies ask people to join their design teams after seeing their work in PC magazine not because they have a large blog following. Obviously, I can't prove this, but it's just a suspicion I have with certain companies (which I won't name ). So after being asked to join the design team, then their blogs become more popular because they are getting more exposure in the online world. It's kind of the chicken and the egg thing. With some designers, I think their card publications came before their blog became more popular. (Nothing wrong with it either way, just my personal observation.)

PC also doesn't send out every call to the public. Some calls are only sent to the designers on "their list." So, you're only going to see their work, if they're the only ones getting the calls for certain things.

I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone published in PC magazine. It's my favorite magazine and the ladies published are very talented. Just a couple observations. :grin:

Last edited by NikiE; 04-12-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #181  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to add to Niki's comments (which I agree with!).

I spent 2 years regularly submitting to PC before I got my first card accepted. This was about 3 years ago. I've submitted fairly regularly since, but I haven't had anything accepted in almost a year. I think the number of submissions per spot in the magazine are high (probably higher now that they have the blogs).

You have to have a thick skin when submitting. You never know exactly what they are looking for... so you throw your best work in the pile and just hope for the best. The main thing is to not take it personally if they don't accept your work.

I have always said that submitting to magazines is a great way to keep your ego in check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #182  
Crimping Master

I can assure you that the submission judging is 100% blind. The editors print out the submission photos and go through them, section by section, without any personal information attached to the card.

As for designers who maintain blogs... well... there sure are a lot of us ;)! Blogging does not affect judging in the slightest. However, I will say that if someone is doing a good bit of blogging, my guess is that they are probably also doing a good bit of creating (meaning practicing)... making a lot of projects and honing their style, etc. That is probably a good thing when it comes to both having a lot of cards to submit and producing cards that are super cool. And that can do nothing but help them out when it comes time to submit, right?

Niki... PC does make nearly every call available on their website. I only know of one issue in the last several years to have not been made into a public call for submissions. You can find the current calls for submissions on the Paper Crafts homepage, under the submit tab. For example, we are already working on the next Holiday Cards and More issue and there are 4 calls for submissions up for that issue right now (they're due tonight!).
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #183  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

I believe (Jess... correct me if I'm wrong) that once you are published the calls are emailed to you. So basically the calls are open to everyone, but previously published peeps get and email about them and everyone else has to check the site for calls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #184  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I believe (Jess... correct me if I'm wrong) that once you are published the calls are emailed to you. So basically the calls are open to everyone, but previously published peeps get and email about them and everyone else has to check the site for calls.
That's right! I don't know how it comes about that one gets added to the list... I do know the Stamping Royalty winners used to be added as that is how I got on it!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #185  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

I think I got added to the email list as soon as I got published the first time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #186  
Hardware Hotshot

May/June 2010 Issue:
102 cards
2 boxes
2 bags
1 wall hanging
1 journal
2 tags (then a page of DIY embellies on tags)

Another issue that should be called Cards, NOT Papercrafts.

Why couldn't the Mom & Dad section have Papercrafts projects of gifts to give Mom and Dad? Are you having a dinner for Mom or Dad ~ why not fun projects for that?

Garage Materials section ~ are a bag and a tag the only things outside of cards that garage materials can be used for? Think of the gorgeous washer necklaces here at SCS. Or some really cool frames etc. etc. etc.

I could go through every section in this mag and find the same thing - it seems like only cards are published. And THAT continues to be my beef with this magazine. I have no problem simple card vs. elaborate and I don't care if the items have stamping or not.

Go back to your roots and get creative with all forms of projects.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #187  
Gabfest Goddess

True that there are often calls on the PC site. Just as an example, though, are those 4 sections for the Holiday Cards and More issue the only 4 sections that are going to be in the magazine or are there other sections that have already been filled by those on "the list?" In the past, there are usually calls for certain sections of the magazine posted on the blog (like say the sketch column), but I don't think calls for every section are always posted online. Obviously, I could easily be wrong, but this is just how it has seemed in the past.

Getting on the list is also somewhat of a mystery to me. I was lucky enough to win in the stamping royalty contest last year and have had a few other cards published over the last year, but I don't ever get the email for submissions. I've emailed the editor a few times and am always assured I'm on the list, but I still never get them. Weird. It's honestly not a big deal to me because getting published is not high on my list of priorities. I only submit once in a while anyway. Just too many other things to do and I'd rather spend my time creating a new card than typing up submissions on the computer.

Jess, please know that I'm not trying to offend you by talking about the calls stuff. It's just the impression I have gotten over the last year or so of watching the calls that go out and seeing what is published in the magazine. Like I said before, it's my favorite magazine for card inspiration. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #188  
Crimping Master

No worries, Niki... I'm not offended! Just tellin' ya (the little!) that I know.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #189  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
True that there are often calls on the PC site. Just as an example, though, are those 4 sections for the Holiday Cards and More issue the only 4 sections that are going to be in the magazine or are there other sections that have already been filled by those on "the list?" In the past, there are usually calls for certain sections of the magazine posted on the blog (like say the sketch column), but I don't think calls for every section are always posted online. Obviously, I could easily be wrong, but this is just how it has seemed in the past.

Getting on the list is also somewhat of a mystery to me. I was lucky enough to win in the stamping royalty contest last year and have had a few other cards published over the last year, but I don't ever get the email for submissions. I've emailed the editor a few times and am always assured I'm on the list, but I still never get them. Weird. It's honestly not a big deal to me because getting published is not high on my list of priorities. I only submit once in a while anyway. Just too many other things to do and I'd rather spend my time creating a new card than typing up submissions on the computer.

Jess, please know that I'm not trying to offend you by talking about the calls stuff. It's just the impression I have gotten over the last year or so of watching the calls that go out and seeing what is published in the magazine. Like I said before, it's my favorite magazine for card inspiration. :grin:
that is odd Niki.

I started getting the email after my first card was also published, however- they ALWAYS post it online- and now even more so. They announce it on FB, on twitter, and it's posted on the websites.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #190  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I just received an email offering a one year subscription to both PaperCrafts and Creating Keepsakes for $25. I've subscribed in the past to PaperCrafts because of the card examples so this seems like a good deal. PM me & I will forward the email they sent me - there's a note on the bottom of the email to share w/friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #191  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

I just saw this after submitting to Paper crafts for the first time! Funny! I tried to write the supply list like it is in the magazine, but I know I messed up at least once. I could totally go for a simplified supply list.
I have loved the past several issues! (I would like to see more stamp companies in there.) I don't subscribe though, I just buy them off the stands and only get the issues I want.
I'm going to bed as at least one of my boys is going to wake up soon. :rolleyes:;)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #192  
Pearl-ExPert

NikiE, Jess Witty, and Jeanne S -- thanks for your perspectives. I have always wondered if there was a connection between having an active blog and being published, and appreciate your first-hand information and perspectives.

ScrapJanny -- I didn't take your post the wrong way--sorry if my reply seemed that way. I wanted to clarify my own post and make sure it was not misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #193  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jessica- I wanted to add my thanks for taking the time to provide some insight into PC!

PC can't possibly be all things to all people, but I think they do a great job of showcasing a variety of styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #194  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
I don't think that's the problem. For your Card Creations 8 coming out next month, I think there were only 14 new designers out of 68. Where's the tru competition in that? That's the same problem with CARDS Magazine as well, which has also dwindled to less than half it's size within the past year. Both magazines feature the same handful of people over and over and over again. While their work is fabulous, we all know their style, it's all the same, and it's featured month after month after month. Frankly, it gets boring. All of us can slap down 3 pieces of DP on a piece of kraft paper, zig zagged together with a button with twine tied through it and a cutesy sentiment, and that's the stuff we're seeing published. There's no true handmade creativity when all that's used is stickers and chipboard. It's like putting together a prefabricated card and there's no talent in that. It's placement luck. I want to see new designers because there's more than 30 people out there who deserve to be published. Get back to the basics of stamping and coloring and having to use your imagination rather than go to Mike's and buy a package. So what do the rest of us do to get published? Study that magazine and they style that they want, which is all the same, try to make a card like what they see, submit it, and still don't get published because the individual is not staying true to their style. That's the only thing that's been a pet peeve of mine in this industry is that we're being deprived in a sense of new blood and talent.

Before I'm accused of sour grapes, I'm published monthly in various industry magazines, but specifically what I'm seeing is the trend mentioned above. I think that CARDS might be catching the clue because I've seen quite a few new names lately and I'm loving it!

I did not mean to ruffle feathers, but that's just the way that I feel.
It's fine to say that it's not your style, but why is it necessary to say that their style is not creative and requires no talent? It just seems needlessly rude. Some might argue that stamping in general does not require any creativity or talent because we aren't drawing our own images, but I'm sure we stampers would not agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #195  
Rubber Obsessor

Nothing against Paper Crafts, but their cards are a little bit too "scrapbooky" for my taste.

I believe Paper Crafts when they say that the submissions are blind, but I also think that the regular contributors know what the editors are looking for, so that may give them an edge over someone who has not been published.

I've noticed that the same people are published over and over in the Stampington publications also, and it's getting to the point where I can recognize some people's work before reading their names--and I certainly don't buy every issue. If we can recognize the artists, I'm sure that the magazine editors recognize their work, also, even at magazines where there is a blind submissions process.

Don't know if this is happening with Paper Crafts, as I rarely read it anymore, but the Stampington publications seem to be reserving more space for their go-to artists, which leaves less room for cards and projects outside of that circle of talented ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #196  
Pearl-ExPert

i think the mag i get the most out of right now is crafts n things - it does not have a ton of stamping/papercrafting in it but the stuff t does have is very creatve and usually NOT a card but more dynamic.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 05-05-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: removed promotional per TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #197  
Die Cut Diva

My biggest beef with PaperCrafts is that as soon as I subscribed, I began receiveing more junk mail than any one household needs. It happened before when I got Creating Keepsakes and again when I got Simply Scrapbooking. There wasn't any way (that I could find) to contact them and opt out.

I understand ads for those items, although I HATE those stupid tear out cards (blow cards? is that what they are called?) but I don't want to be signed up to receive Oriental Trading Company's catalog again. I don't want any kit-of-the-moth clubs. If I do, I'll sign up for them ON MY OWN! Drives me crazy to be constantly cancelling these things I never asked for!

That being said, Jess, I appreciate your gracious responses here. You've been very encouraging and I never felt that you were pushy or negative or "toeing the company line" in any of your posts. Can you pass along that we don't want the dang junk mail subscriptions? Or threatening mail to send us to collections because we don't choose to renew? Recently I chose to not renew my subscription to Creating Keepsakes and received SIX renewal notices, each one more stern until the 6th one which said if I didn't pay, I'd be sent to collections! Never got any magazines, just the renewal threats. :(

Thanks!

~Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #198  
Glitter Guru

And what's up with sending readers to blogs to see the directions for making embellishments on cards in the magazine? I shouldn't have to do that. I don't even like it when magazines send me to their website for directions. That's why I bought the magazine - for the directions.
Reply With Quote Likes