Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I subscribe and I'm very happy with the magazine. I loved the Christmas issue! Yes, there is a ton of inspiration here on SCS, and on all the blogs, but like Erin said, I can't take them with me to the park - and sometimes I just like to sit down with a magazine, y'know?
I do have to agree with the supply list comment above - it is VERY hard to read. Oh, and I also noticed how many PTI projects were featured, and I kind of liked that.
And finally, I think Jessica is absolutely entitled to her opinion and found her comments very helpful. I didn't think she said anything that should make anyone feel bad about expressing their PC opinions, but I am very much a live and let live kind of gal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
I feel like I want to add my two cents worth because I used to love Papercrafts mag very much, subscribed for years, but cancelled 6 months ago because I just wasn't happy with the content anymore. I don't think the projects are above and beyond what I see on a daily basis on the various blogs I visit everyday, or in the SCS gallery. I think they should be though, if I were to resume buying the magazine. Not only above and beyond, but the magazine has to offer something I won't get right here, or on someone's blog. Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, one thing that has irked me since the first magazine I ever picked up is the 'supply list'. It is extremely annoying and confusing to me! If there is a particular product that I am curious about, I have the hardest time trying to match up the manufacturer name to the product. The parenthesis, the colons, the semicolons, aarrgh! It would be much, much easier to read/understand if it was a simple bulleted/numbered list. KWIM? Maybe it's just me but it drives me up the wall...
oh I one thing I will have to agree with is the supply list, I get a little confused.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

thats what I love about the magazines, take them everywhere I want. I carry them in my purse all the time when they come out, until I read everything lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #44  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Oh speaking of Papercrafts (I above stated that I'm still loving them) I will say I noticed in the past few issues that they are Papertrey Ink-a-rifick! If you love Papertrey, like me, it's fun to see so many cards with a favorite company.

It used to be that there would be Stampin' Up on the pages of every magazine I picked up. Now I love Stampin' Up! too but it's fun to see the changing trends. Of course for me I'm more into PTI than SU right now so the change is, again, right with my style.

That's not really a critique or anything, just an observation.
Love papertrey...they are an awesome company and have awesome stamps but I have noticed that Papercrafts is kind of becoming Papertrey magazine. Kind of miss variety.

That being said....Papercrafts has always been tops with trends and great cardmaking ideas. It is not a stamping magazine but a cardmaking magazine so they show all types of designs..including (gasp!) stickers! lol!

I really enjoy the magazine and the Go-To Girls ROCK...always a source of inspiration for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

I want to add that I LOVED the Christmas Issue as well. I guess I'm big on cards on not so big on other paper projects.

I was just thinking the other day that I wish there were 12 issues of the magazine instead of six.

Also, I wish the special issues could be part of the subscription. I'm in Canada and where I am it's really hard to find Papercrafts magazine and especially all the special issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

And Jessica...you rock girl so keep on doing what you are doing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #47  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_wittyView Post
Yes... Card Creations is a special issue of Paper Crafts. I hear what you're saying about having that special issue alongside the regular issues. Don't worry... I'll be sure to take your opinion to the top the next time we have a discussion along this topic.
I appreciate you being here and listening ! Thanks for that.

As someone in Canada - I don't care for too much Paper Trey Content. While I like PaperTrey really well - their shipping prices to Canada start at about $20. 00 no matter what you'd like to buy - one stamp set or whatever. The only discount they offer on Canadian shipping is $10.00 off a $100. 00 US dollar order.

As such - it is very expensive for me to purchase from papertrey -so card ideas from Paper Trey are very inaccessible to me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #48  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

:shock:

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #49  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
Love papertrey...they are an awesome company and have awesome stamps but I have noticed that Papercrafts is kind of becoming Papertrey magazine. Kind of miss variety.

That being said....Papercrafts has always been tops with trends and great cardmaking ideas. It is not a stamping magazine but a cardmaking magazine so they show all types of designs..including (gasp!) stickers! lol!

I really enjoy the magazine and the Go-To Girls ROCK...always a source of inspiration for me.
Gotta agree with Cammie here. I have always enjoyed all of Paper Crafts publications but the most recent issue of Stamp It that I purchased was full of Papertrey stamps. I enjoy Papertrey as much as the next person but with so many wonderful companies out there I would like to see more of them being featured in the magazines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #50  
Gabfest Goddess

One last thing, Jessica, I don't think you said anything that was offensive in any way. Nor did you come off as a corporate spokesperson calling out the little guy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I'm not sure how I called anyone out on their personal opinion simply by posting my own opinion. It seems that people would start threads and post their personal opinions here... on an open, public forum... because they have a desire to be heard. This is, by far, the best stamping forum out there. It only makes sense that lots of people from the stamping and scrapping industry would hang out here.

I didn't get the feeling from anyone who replied to this thread that they were offended by my responses. In fact, those who replied have seemed appreciative and still continued to express their opinions... positive or negative.
I really get what you're saying. I really do. But my position is that because you're a "voice" for the magazine, it feels less like your personal opinion and more like corporate watchdog-ing. It feels like that for me, anyway.
Clearly, I'm the minority here and I'm fine with that.

Didn't mean to get anyone into a tizzy but this is my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Stamp It! is actually my favorite issue every year... it is special issue put out by Paper Crafts.
I look forward to Stamp It! twice a year. I was very disappointed in the latest issue because of the lack of representation from different stamp companies and multiple samples from the same stamp sets. I believe I counted 10 different cards made with PTI's Everyday Button Bits set. That's a great set. I have it and I love it. I am a loyal PTI customer who orders from each monthly release ... but I thought 11 samples from one set was overkill. A few images from that set were featured multiple times in different sections: 3 cards with balloon basket image, 3 cards with the leafy stem, 2 with cherry stems, and 1 each of the chick and balloon string images. That doesn't even count the all the other PTI sets used on other cards.

My point is not to criticize PTI. I am a big fan of PTI and I follow Nichole Heady and her design team blogs faithfully in Google Reader so I won't miss a post. My point is to ask the Paper Crafts editors to consider a wider variety in future issues of Stamp It! and to mix it up just a bit more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also have noticed that it seems in the last few issues, 90% of the projects are made with Papertrey Ink products. I would really like to see a bigger variety of companies represented. I do not buy Papertrey stamps, because I only will buy rubber stamps. (I just don't think any clear stamps are as high quality as rubber, no matter what the manufacturer. I have heard too many stories of clear stamps "tearing".) Except for my "no clear stamp" policy, anything goes as far as manufacturer, I like to mix and match.

I also get disappointed when I see something that looks like a cool stamp image, and it turns out to be a rub on. I really don't care for rub ons, never had good luck with them, plus I don't think they are as good a money value as stamps are.

I used to love Paper Crafts, but it seems the magazine has changed, and I have changed, so it is not really my BFF anymore, LOL. Although I still buy it.

For scrapping, I love CK and SB Etc. For stamping, I think Scrap and Stamp Art, Paper Creations, and Cardmaker magazine are my faves. I also love to browse through Just Cards! magazine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlView Post
I look forward to Stamp It! twice a year. I was very disappointed in the latest issue because of the lack of representation from different stamp companies and multiple samples from the same stamp sets. I believe I counted 10 different cards made with PTI's Everyday Button Bits set. That's a great set. I have it and I love it. I am a loyal PTI customer who orders from each monthly release ... but I thought 11 samples from one set was overkill. A few images from that set were featured multiple times in different sections: 3 cards with balloon basket image, 3 cards with the leafy stem, 2 with cherry stems, and 1 each of the chick and balloon string images. That doesn't even count the all the other PTI sets used on other cards.

My point is not to criticize PTI. I am a big fan of PTI and I follow Nichole Heady and her design team blogs faithfully in Google Reader so I won't miss a post. My point is to ask the Paper Crafts editors to consider a wider variety in future issues of Stamp It! and to mix it up just a bit more.
LOL When I was halfway through the current issue of Stamp It I went back to the beginning of the magazine to see if it said something about Papertrey being the featured company that month. I couldn't figure out why there were so many cards using only Papertrey products. i for one would definitely like to see more of a mix from different companies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

I totally agree on the confusing supply list. Is there a reason you can't say whether the Provo Craft die cut machine is a Cuttlebug or Cricut? I'm still trying to find those lovely cut & embossed labels from pg 40 of July 2009 issue!

I also wish the magazine had more "articles" like current trends, how-tos, pictures of stamping rooms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I love Paper Crafts and I'm always inspired by each and every issue. I think the variety is great. There's everything from more detailed cards (such as the ones Betsy Veldman creates) to the clean and simple ones and everything in between. I like that there are cards with stamping and cards without. Not everyone enjoys stamping and I know I'm not always in the mood to pull out my stamps when it comes to making a card, so I think that kind of variety is great for all kinds of card makers.

I do wish there would be a greater variety of stamp companies represented, though. There are too many awesome stamp companies out there to only focus on a few. I personally get tired of a stamp set I see used too many times, from any company.

It's not as easy to get published as the OP might think. It's a lot of hard work to create cards that are good enough to be considered for publication that will stand out amongst all the other submissions. When I see designers who have numerous cards published in one magazine I have to wonder how many cards they made for that magazine call that weren't chosen.

OP, perhaps there are some magazines that are more stamping focused that would appeal to you a bit more. I also agree with Jessica about letting the editors know what you'd like to see in their magazine. I'm sure they'd love to hear feedback from their readers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post

I think this sentence makes my point. You state that it's not a stamping magazine (yep, agree) but a cardmaking mag. The point is it used to be so much more than cardmaking, hence the name Paper Crafts, not Card Crafts. I'm pleased that Jess will let the mag know that there are those of us out there that want more than just cards.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog

Last edited by lauraos; 02-18-2010 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: spelling - it's hard to type in the dark
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Yes... Card Creations is a special issue of Paper Crafts. I hear what you're saying about having that special issue alongside the regular issues. Don't worry... I'll be sure to take your opinion to the top the next time we have a discussion along this topic.
Jess,

That's awesome. This really used to be the most fabulous mag with it's variety not only in styles but projects. I appreciate you taking the time to listen to our (well, my since it's my post) opinion.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

For those who have mentioned the variety, or lack thereof, of stamp companies being represented in the mag... does it help if I tell you that this topic has been coming up more and more often? We've already been discussing it and I'm hoping that you'll see a few changes in the future. That being said... keep in mind that we work on the mag at least 6 months before you actually see it. We're already concepting the September/October issue to give you an idea of how far out we work on things.

I can also tell you that in terms of submissions... well, there's just been an overwhelming popularity of late in terms of certain companies (cough cough PTI cough cough). (And yes... we all know that I am a die-hard fan of those said companies as well.) Just a tip... if you are creating projects to submit, it wouldn't hurt to have a variety of product represented in your submissions. I'm just sayin' ;).
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #60  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

For those who have mentioned the variety, or lack thereof, of stamp companies being represented in the mag... does it help if I tell you that this topic has been coming up more and more often? We've already been discussing it and I'm hoping that you'll see a few changes in the future. That being said... keep in mind that we work on the mag at least 6 months before you actually see it. We're already concepting the September/October issue to give you an idea of how far out we work on things.

I can also tell you that in terms of submissions... well, there's just been an overwhelming popularity of late in terms of certain companies (cough cough PTI cough cough). (And yes... we all know that I am a die-hard fan of those said companies as well.) Just a tip... if you are creating projects to submit, it wouldn't hurt to have a variety of product represented in your submissions. I'm just sayin' ;).
My design team, many, many published designers that submit on behalf of Gina K. Designs, and I have submitted tons of Gina K. Designs cards to Papercrafts and their special issues. I know there is one Gina K. Designs card in Stamp it this month. (Yay Nina Brackett!!! Your card is just beautiful!!)

I have been published quite a bit in most of the other magazines but I can't figure out the formula to get a card published in Papercrafts yet. I'm working on it and I will keep trying because I really love the magazine. LOL!

I have, on the other hand, managed to run a couple of full page ads with Papercrafts! Ha-ha!! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow..glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed the change in Paper Crafts. I sent an email to the editor of Paper Crafts magazine a few months ago to share my thoughts on why I no longer buy their magazine. I've been collecting this magazine for about 8 years & I noticed a decrease in quality of content & shrinking number of pages. I found more value in their older issues format because they had a lot of step by step projects, templates, more interesting & challenging content, more WOW cards. Of course, this is just my opinion but I was compelled to send a friendly email of my thoughts to the editor. I hope to be impressed by this magazine again but for now..I find more inspiration here on SCS & visiting blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Jess,

Thanks so much for your input on this thread. It's been very useful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

I, too, subscribed after viewing my moms scubscriptions for years. Templates, cool projects and it was a thicker magazine. Once I let my CK lapse I decided to subscribe to this mag. Now I, too along with my mom, re letting our subscriptions run out. I tend to like cards when there is stamping involved not just paper put together to make a card. Not my style. I LOVE stamps and to me a card isn't a card unless there is stamping on it. LOL I am now subscribed to Card Maker and love it as it is stamping, and there is actual articles in there to teach you things about the stamping world. One of the very first issues I bought had an article in it on Tims alcohol inks.

Plus I am with the one poster who said that the submissions are a little weird (my word not hers). There were several times I'd see a card and think to myself "I've seen more talent on SCS or from DT's I subscribe too. Or I think "how in the world did they get published, that sentiment is crooked" (with regards to the sentiment being crooked...it was cleared crooked...it was all in a nesties die cut so you could tell the owner did not do it on purpose). Many comments I have seen was "who picks these cards to get published."

Another small complaint I have and have no idea if this can even be worked out is that I always thought subscribers received their mags before the stores. For the last several months I've seen the mag in stores and its been weeks before I even get my copy. :(

Jess, so appreciative of your coming on here and really listening to our opinions.

I do have one complaint though if you will. I LOVED the card sketches in the issues and had emailed quite a few times asking if they would ever consider a special issue of all the card sketches...Paper Crafts Card Sketches. I never ever recieved a response...not in my spam box or anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh. I think I already started a bit of a firestorm on their Facebook page when I said I wasn't a fan of the latest Stamp It issue. LOL Not that I'm not a fan of PTI stamps...they are pretty and I'm not looking to copy anyone's card completely. I just didn't think it fit my personal tastes.

I won't be buying that magazine again but I have others that I enjoy. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to chuckle at all the PTI comments - I was wondering why SOOOO many projects featured PTI products and actually CHEERED when I saw Gina K stamps used! I enjoy my Paper Crafts issues, but I'd definitely like to see more variety in the stamp companies and styles used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #66  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
My design team, many, many published designers that submit on behalf of Gina K. Designs, and I have submitted tons of Gina K. Designs cards to Papercrafts and their special issues. I know there is one Gina K. Designs card in Stamp it this month. (Yay Nina Brackett!!! Your card is just beautiful!!)

I have been published quite a bit in most of the other magazines but I can't figure out the formula to get a card published in Papercrafts yet. I'm working on it and I will keep trying because I really love the magazine. LOL!

I have, on the other hand, managed to run a couple of full page ads with Papercrafts! Ha-ha!! ;)
oooooh- note to self- should get some halloween/fall themed Gina K stamps!!!:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I have, on the other hand, managed to run a couple of full page ads with Papercrafts! Ha-ha!!
LOL! I love Gina K. stamps...they were some of the first ones I purchased.

With that being said, I can probably guarantee that now that I criticized their mag, you won't ever see any of my cards in their mag no matter which company I use. LOL :oops::twisted::mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
LOL! I love Gina K. stamps...they were some of the first ones I purchased.

With that being said, I can probably guarantee that now that I criticized their mag, you won't ever see any of my cards in their mag no matter which company I use. LOL :oops::twisted::mrgreen:
D'aw, thanks. I'm glad you like our stamps.

Regarding your comment about voicing your opinion- I think that the owners of Papercrafts Magazine want to know what their subscribers and advertisers think. After all, they in business to make money and if the readers and advertisers aren't happy, well you know how that goes.

People are asking for more variety so I'm sure, like Jessica Witty said in an earlier post, the topic has come up and they are making plans to add more variety to the magazine in the future. That's a great thing for all of us! I love to see cards from lots of companies and lots of designers.

And, I have actually spoken to a couple of the people at Papercrafts on the phone and through emails and they have ASSURED me that all submissions are chosen blindly, (they don't know who sent them in,) so you should submit cards to them.

I'm sure your opinion counts and they are taking it in the spirit in which it was put forth. They are a great magazine and they really care about their customers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

I think this is a great thread in that it shows you can say what you feel. However, I feel that Paper Crafts is still one of the top mags out there. Every magazine has an issue or two that you don't like, but you if you like the content, then you keep buying. Paper Crafts is fully aware of their readers and are doing their best to accommodate. That being said, not everyone will be happy with everything. It just can't happen. So find what you really love, and go with that. I am a PC supporter because I love the magazine and want it to succeed where many others have failed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

You know I had to laugh when I saw this thread, my magazine came yesterday, I find that I page throught it hurriedly looking for the "great and unique cards" and don't ever find anything different. There are some awesomely talented artists in there magazine, but it is the SAME people over and over, I want more variety, not 20 projects from one person. And that is not to say that person is not talented, but repitition is boring.

Does anyone know of any paper craft magzines that focus more on the stamps and coloring techniques? Like the cute stamps that are so popular in Europe, Sugar Nellie, Magnolias, Whiff of Joys, etc?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
You know I had to laugh when I saw this thread, my magazine came yesterday, I find that I page throught it hurriedly looking for the "great and unique cards" and don't ever find anything different. There are some awesomely talented artists in there magazine, but it is the SAME people over and over, I want more variety, not 20 projects from one person. And that is not to say that person is not talented, but repitition is boring.

Does anyone know of any paper craft magzines that focus more on the stamps and coloring techniques? Like the cute stamps that are so popular in Europe, Sugar Nellie, Magnolias, Whiff of Joys, etc?
You know.. it's all about who submits... I rarely submit because it takes SO MUCH TIME!! i think the people who submit are dedicated to getting published and it's part of their craft.. for me it's such a nuisance.. I LOVE getting published, but there is often just too much going on in my life to sit down and re-type my information into each and every card i submit.. (i wish the papercrafts website remembered my basic information at least....what if there was a designer login where you remembered the designer info then we would only have to type the card info???) anyway..

it's like my husband says, you can only win the lottery by actually buying the tickets.. (oh right... yah.. i knew that....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Use PTI stamps....heehee.

Seriously, I like Papercrafts better than the other stamping magazines. I read each issue to death and case more cards than I'm willing to admit. I like that the submissions reflect and appeal to a broad range of talent, and am glad that there seems to be more new submitters featured.

I will, however, have to agree with whomever commented that the product list is VERY confusing to me as well. I wish they would change the format. I would also like to see more Q&A from the Go-To Gals, rather than just a two or three questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampkinzView Post
Seriously, I like Papercrafts better than the other stamping magazines. I read each issue to death and case more cards than I'm willing to admit. I like that the submissions reflect and appeal to a broad range of talent, and am glad that there seems to be more new submitters featured.

I will, however, have to agree with whomever commented that the product list is VERY confusing to me as well. I wish they would change the format. I would also like to see more Q&A from the Go-To Gals, rather than just a two or three questions.
Ha-ha! Although that's really funny, your pun actually proves a lot of the points made here.

So again, I'm delighted to hear that they plan to include more companies in the future.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #74  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post

I know it's already been said, but magazines can only publish what they get- and the designers who submit. If only a handful of designers are regularly submitting, only the same few will constantly get picked up.

Someone prior was mentioning the style of cards that are commonly found on this site and how they are heavy with tons of layers, and how PC Mag is not that style- Most mags are looking for cards that can easily be reproduced by the consumer, with products that are easily available.

Maybe coloring hasn't hit mainstream yet(generally speaking as far as publications go), i don't know the answer for that, but it does NOT seem to be an item that is often published.

As for other magazines- there are tons and tons of others- take ten, stampers sampler, just cards, scrap & stamp arts, crafts n things, cards, cardmaker, simply handmade, paper creations, and the list goes on! But hopefully in that list of many mags, there is one for everyone!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Before I start I just want to make sure you read my post and know I am talking in a happy fa la la voice/tone, not being negative or talking down to anyone

Jessica has been a member of SCS since 2004, that is 6 years. She just joined Paper Crafts Jan 2010, that is 2 months. She is a wonderful SCS member, and has only been a positive figure here. Her mother is also a moderator on the forums here. I have met her in person and in no way is she mean or negative at all.
I am sorry you feel that she is a "watch dog", but she is not.
Let me just say a few things
I have been published by Paper Crafts, and it isn't easy, at all.
Making a clean and graphic card look different and have it stand out is hard, really hard.
"Paper Crafting" isn't just stamping, stamping is a part of it but doesn't encompass it.
Like someone said earlier Paper Crafts was a branch of Creating Keepsakes, and was started by coming up with ideas on what to do with your scrapbooking scraps, including, yes stickers.

I encourage all of you to try submitting, that is the best way to change a magazine, is to submit what you like.
I also encourage you all to take the annual survey, the editors need that feedback.
There are several "paper crafting" magazines out there. Paper Crafts is known for showing projects that are easy to replicate and keeping up with the current industry trends. Not to mention affordable (Cards is $18 an issue).
I think we all should be able to have a calm conversation with different opinions without being mean or name calling. Just my opinion.

Oh and for the record I have 5 cards in the Stamp It! issue, and yep on one of my cards I used a chipboard sticker lol and 3 out of the 5 are considered clean and graphic. My husband is in the military and is gone a lot, I cannot afford to send him cards that have 10 layers on them, so clean it is.

happy stamping friends
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #76  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampkinzView Post

The product list is a little confusing.
Let say you use some pattern paper... you have to list the Manufacturer, the line of paper, and the name of the sheet of paper from that line...whew that was a mouthful. Its to give proper credit to the manufacturer and some people really want to know exactly what was used.
Same with inks, say you use Memento you have to say Tuxedo Black water based ink by Memento made by Tskineko, then the mag shortens it by using parenthesis
I hope that helps a little
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #77  

Oh I agree about all the PTI products used, but this is due to the fact that PTI doesn't retire anything. SU! retires stuff every year, so by the time the mag comes out the stamps/paper/ribbon possibly isn't even available. That is why you see the decline in SU stuff. When you make a card for submission, the supplies used need to be available for consumers when the magazine comes out, so the designers have to think 6 months ahead, sometimes longer. Which is no easy task at times
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #78  

One more thing I just thought of
We have had a terrible economy the last few years and people just don't have the money to make an ensemble of projects to submit, and not know if it is going to be picked up. For example I just bought a package of Primas, and it was $5 for 2 flowers!!! (They are beautiful and I had to have them)
My point is, it is very expensive to make projects and cards in the off season (you make Christmas cards late spring, early summer) and have them not get picked up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #79  
Crimping Master

More variety is always a good thing.:-) I didn't realize there's 10 cards using PTI's Button Bits alone in the Stamp It! issue - wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't think it's just PaperCrafts magazine - I think that there is just so much out there that every magazine is starting to look a little less exciting. I used to subscribe to several, now I subscribe to ZERO. I do buy "special issues", like the StampIt issue or Card Creations. Ditto if there's a monthly one that has several items that catch my eye. I agree with what others have said here about being totally inspired by the multiple blogs I subscribe to and the galleries/challenges here on SCS. I very much enjoy the Moxie Fab blog, for example, which is an offshoot of PaperCrafts. One thing I've noticed that I find kind of...not annoying...not frustrating...can't find the word - anyway, I've noticed that there are a lot of cards by the same artists in each issue of several of the different magazines (so much so that I can spot them without reading the blurb under the card), instead of it being "wide open" to whoever submits like they used to be... It would seem that they give assignments to these artists (who are wonderful - don't get me wrong) instead of just doing a call on their website or whatever. I can see this being a great way to go for, say, showcasing multiple ways to interpret the same sketch, but I used to really enjoy the diversity of styles from "unknown" artists, and there seems to be less and less of that. I guess we get to choose what works for each of us individually, eh? Thank goodness...

Reply With Quote Likes