Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me, or is this funny?

There are lots of ads that pop up in various places for those cupboards/closets/desks/filing systems for crafting, mostly scrapbooking and papercrafts, but what I always get a kick out of is the size of them. I mean ... who has so FEW supplies and such SMALL stashes that they would fit them all into such a tiny storage space? Anyway, I always have a chuckle when I see these ads because they certainly look totally inadequate for a cardmaker like me (and many others I know). Just my thought for the day ...
Happy Fan Club member.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean one of those Scrapbox things?

I think they are cool, but totally impractical for someone like me. These things are for someone who is VERY organized, puts things away after use and lives the life of a minimalist. Unfortunately, I have a tiny house with tiny rooms. Once set up, I'd have a hard time finding room to open the doors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need the entire master bedroom (minus the bed) for my craft tools and supplies. My things would never fit into those kind of closet systems. I'd find them impractical.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the open concept, in houses, in my personal life and interactions, and for my craft supplies.

If I can't see it, my mind says I don't have it. I like things to be in sight in a somewhat orderly fashion. I don't like drawers or cabinets for frequently used items. The closest I come to putting my craft stuff "away" is in a see-through plastic container on a shelf unit.

But I know that lots of people love to have everything put away and out of sight when it's not being used.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have this fantasy of a big room, with a table going all around the sides of the room, and "stations" set up at intervals - a stamping station with all the stamps and inks within arms reach, a heat embossing station with all the embossinng powders arrayed in front of me and the heat gun and silicon mat always laid out and ready to go, a die cutting/embossing machine always set up with the dies and folders right there, and so on. Even a sink for easy clean up. However, I live in a small apartment, and our small spare bedroom serves as a shared space for my crafts and my room mate's office. I have just enough room for this desk Crafters Desk with Hutch Kit L - Maple, White or Walnut - Crafter's Desk and Hutch - Products

and this unit Craft and Bead Organization and Storage Unit

plus an armoire, small bookshelf and a cd/dvd rack for stamp sets. It's very tight, but convenient. I have a work space on the desk 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep, so in order to use the Cuttlebug I have to put the papercutter back, etc. Unti I win the lottery or a rich relative I don't know about remembers me in their will I make this work.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a tiny house, excessively organized, put everything away after a project and I am a minimalist. Those Scrapbox things make me a nervous wreck, lol. I would constantly rearrange it. All those little boxes would drive me bonkers. I always think What if you outgrow it? or The crafting companies start changing sizes and you can't fit items in there any more? I think those Scrapboxes are great for so many people but not me. I would be rearranging it all the time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

love my scrapbox. I'm a bit of a mess, but it helps me stay organized and let's me know when I have too much junk (well, sort of)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping to downsize enough so that I could fit into one of those. For years I've had too much and have been way too quick to order more--paper, new tools, etc--which all too often just sits there. If I haven't used something in a year, do I really need it? I really am trying to be more wise in my buying and controlling my urges. If I am not going to use it right then, I don't need to order/buy it. I'm hoping to use my money for helping others in need instead. If you believe that God answers prayers, pray that God will help me succeed in this goal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

a friend of mine just got a scrapbox, and it's really amazing just how much can fit in there. she said anything that didn't fit (and she has plenty of supplies!)she was giving away. she managed to get it all in there! i do have a cabinet that closes up with a side table with a file drawer in it. a few things (seasonal paper; my rarely used sizzix) are in my closet. my cabinet is definitely busting at the seams!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I sorta wish I had one of those big scrapbox things. I have too much schtuff and maybe if it was in one of those things all organized and easy to find, I would use more of it, instead of buying more, cause I can't find what I need......

I would have to have someone come organize it for me though... LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i LOVE my cabinet! the desk part rolls out, so i can leave my trimmer and whatever i'm working on spread out, and then just roll it back under and close up the cabinet when i'm done. but once my oldest child leaves for college, i may be taking over his room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

But have you ever seen photos of a scraproom where they actually HAVE/USE a Scrapbox? I haven't! And I have seen lots of scraproom photos.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I look at those storage systems and think, ok, and where do I put the rest of my stuff?

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TillyView Post
There are lots of ads that pop up in various places for those cupboards/closets/desks/filing systems for crafting, mostly scrapbooking and papercrafts, but what I always get a kick out of is the size of them. I mean ... who has so FEW supplies and such SMALL stashes that they would fit them all into such a tiny storage space? Anyway, I always have a chuckle when I see these ads because they certainly look totally inadequate for a cardmaker like me (and many others I know). Just my thought for the day ...
just like on a home type show. they re do the overstuffed closets. in the end they only have 5white shirts hanging. who has just 5 shirts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

After my oldest son moved out I converted his bedroom into my craft room. I too have accumulated a lot of stuff, but I just close the door. One of those storage systems would never work for me.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUKView Post
But have you ever seen photos of a scraproom where they actually HAVE/USE a Scrapbox? I haven't! And I have seen lots of scraproom photos.
Our Joan B uses hers. ! She has an amazing Scrapbox. I love it. I do really like Joan's Scrapbox and what she did with it. I would still be organizing it if I owned one, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
just like on a home type show. they re do the overstuffed closets. in the end they only have 5white shirts hanging. who has just 5 shirts?
Oh, ME ME ME! <waving> I only have FOUR shirts! Less clothes, more stamps!! I'm extremely lucky that I have a job where I can just wear the same four shirts (and four pairs of jeans) over and over and over. When they wear out, I buy another four shirts. They are just generic, long-sleeved, solid-coloured shirts, so I can wear them anywhere else I go too. I don't even use a closet for my clothes - they just hang right over the washing machine.

I would love a Scrapbox. I do have tons of stuff, but well, I'd still LOVE to have a Scrapbox!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Oh, ME ME ME! <waving> I only have FOUR shirts! Less clothes, more stamps!! I'm extremely lucky that I have a job where I can just wear the same four shirts (and four pairs of jeans) over and over and over. When they wear out, I buy another four shirts. They are just generic, long-sleeved, solid-coloured shirts, so I can wear them anywhere else I go too. I don't even use a closet for my clothes - they just hang right over the washing machine.

I would love a Scrapbox. I do have tons of stuff, but well, I'd still LOVE to have a Scrapbox!!

I do not work anymore and only wear maybe 6 shirts (per season) I need to get rid of the extras. I got rid of lots of my stamping stash but still have way to much for one of those scrapboxes. :( I wish I had more willpower to clean out even more and maybe one day soon I will.

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Default Goals

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfmorganView Post
I'm hoping to downsize enough so that I could fit into one of those. For years I've had too much and have been way too quick to order more--paper, new tools, etc--which all too often just sits there. If I haven't used something in a year, do I really need it? I really am trying to be more wise in my buying and controlling my urges. If I am not going to use it right then, I don't need to order/buy it. I'm hoping to use my money for helping others in need instead. If you believe that God answers prayers, pray that God will help me succeed in this goal!
I hear what you are saying about others. I'm buying embossing folders right now in HOPES that I am able to put together enough cash to buy a Big Shot or something similar to USE them in. [The cart before the horse for sure!] BUT, in the back of my mind I am saying, "Just think what missionaries could do with that little chunk of change." The Lord uses them...missionaries...to do so much with so little. I'll pray that you can keep your goal in sight and succeed with what your heart wants you to do.
Reply With Quote Likes