Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #41  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love photo cards and I love Christmas letters. I even like other people's Christmas letters.. people I have never met in my life! I don't think I have noticed them being unsigned...this year I am going to pay closer attention.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Christmas card 2years ago LOL!

It made it everyone's day to receive one
is it just me?!-328776_476990962340332_2026106537_o.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Hey guys, pull the knife out of my back please! Good greif, all I said was I don't like photo cards that are not hand signed. I still do. I know that familes are busy. I raised one myself. But I did find the time to sign my Christmas cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiyanne1View Post
It made it everyone's day to receive one
Attachment 299339
Oh how cute! I have two Boston Terriers and my next dog is going to be an English bulldog!

I would take this card any day over those braggy long letters!!!:o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
Hey guys, pull the knife out of my back please! Good greif, all I said was I don't like photo cards that are not hand signed. I still do. I know that familes are busy. I raised one myself. But I did find the time to sign my Christmas cards!

"seems very impersonal, and downright insulting to someone who makes all their cards!"

Quote from your first post as I understood that you "think" it is insulting to "receive" a photo can "Because" you make Homemade cards.

Therefore insinuating that if someone makes homemade cards, others should make homemade cards in return for that person.

This is how I interpreted your post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #46  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Just a reminder of our site posting rules here please.

You may not disparage other members in your posts here, ever, regardless of how you do that, or you risk your account here.

Express your opinions politely and without ever making someone the subject of a negative post.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

I now remember why I quit posting on this forum for a yesrs. Goodbye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I'm Jewish and I still appreciate receiving Christmas cards. As you say, it's the thought that counts. Most of the ones I get are "seasonal." However, I do think it's inconsiderate when I receive a very religious card, with a very religious newsletter. The sender is well aware of my beliefs.

I sign cards with my just my name if I'm in frequent touch with the recipient. I only enclose a letter to my "once a year" friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I'm Jewish and I still appreciate receiving Christmas cards. As you say, it's the thought that counts. Most of the ones I get are "seasonal." However, I do think it's inconsiderate when I receive a very religious card, with a very religious newsletter. The sender is well aware of my beliefs.
I agree. I have several Jewish friends and also I have friends that are Atheist. When I send any of them cards I just put on the cards "Happy Holidays".

With my atheist friends, if I send them a sympathy card, I never say you are in my prayers, I just put as the sentiment "Thinking of you".

I always try to make the card and the sentiment match the persons belief that I am sending it to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I agree. I have several Jewish friends and also I have friends that are Atheist. When I send any of them cards I just put on the cards "Happy Holidays".

With my atheist friends, if I send them a sympathy card, I never say you are in my prayers, I just put as the sentiment "Thinking of you".

I always try to make the card and the sentiment match the persons belief that I am sending it to.
A few years ago, I worked at a company where one of my co-workers is a Jehovah's Witness. I wasn't sure how to handle giving her a card at Christmas since I was giving everyone else in the workplace a card. I felt a bit awkward, but I did ask her if she would mind. She said that she doesn't celebrate Christmas, but she still likes receiving cards during the season. So I gave her a winter-themed "Thinking of You" card.

I gave winter-themed cards to the folks there who are Jewish. I didn't want to make them uncomfortable by giving them a Christ-centered card or one that said "Merry Christmas."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

For what it's worth--- I love photo cards. Love them!! Save them for years and have used them as decorations for Christmas parties. People were thrilled to see their cards displayed during the neighborhood Christmas party. Although I make all the rest of my cards throughout the year, I send photo cards every Christmas. Have I been clear enough? Love them -- love choosing the photo, love sending them, and love receiving them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I hope you read the supportive comments as well. Everyone has things they like and don't like. If we all liked the same things life would be dull and so would the GALLERY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no problem with photo cards, store-bought cards, or anything else. I think what the original poster was complaining about wasn't about receiving a non-handmade card. It was about receiving a card from someone that wasn't signed.

Sure, I know we all say we agree with the sentiment "it's the thought that counts" but when I open a card and there is no signature, I feel a little saddened. Yes, so-and-so did send me a card and I should be grateful, but would a signature really have been too much trouble?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #54  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Quote:

Please dont go away. So often these threads develop a life of their own, and people are expressing their own frustrations or agreement...I dont believe it is ever personal to the OP.

It is true that I dont love cards with no name and the only way I know where it came from is the return label on the envelope (not pic cards). Then I write the name in so DH will know when he looks at it.

It's embarrassing if people do this with kid pic cards as they can grow so much in a year and I may not recognize them, esp in costume. :oops:

So I say, dont care what it is, just put your pawprint on it!

I do appreciate when friends send me Judiaca cards when I know they had to get them special, just as I would anything they went out of their way to do. But Seasons Greetings works just fine too!

It might be very interesting to see what happens if I send a Jewish card to Christian friends who send me a Christian theme card....hmm. I never thought of doing that before. It has to be the right one...not the senior who does not have the wherewithall to do extra or whatever.....

I think you guys are going to get me in trouble one of these days! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,127 Likes on 508 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
It might be very interesting to see what happens if I send a Jewish card to Christian friends who send me a Christian theme card....hmm.
If it were me... I think I'd just be touched that at a time of celebrating something very meaningful to you, your thoughts included me. I can't find anything offensive about that. We send cards *to* people, not *at* them... I hope so, anyway!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
We send cards *to* people, not *at* them... I hope so, anyway!
Exactly.

There is a difference between sharing joy and being callously indifferent. It is the second group I am thinking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Exactly.

There is a difference between sharing joy and being callously indifferent. It is the second group I am thinking about.
The irony is I think unless it was the right person they may think you are "proving a point" rather than just seeing what happens and may get offended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #58  
Proud Fan Club Member

Perfect word: Irony. To me the irony is that if it is right person, they will definitely get offended instead of realizing. Which is why I wont do it upon further consideration.

I'd like to say it's only about a holiday card, because that is easy to overlook. But people like that-it isnt. It would not change anything. Just cause bad feelings. I'm too tired these days for that. If I dont have to deal with them all the time, it just isnt worth it. If I did, I would have dealt with it already, and not with a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

FWIW I am happy to be wished "Happy" just about anything - though I reserve the right to ask very thorough questions about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
If it were me... I think I'd just be touched that at a time of celebrating something very meaningful to you, your thoughts included me. I can't find anything offensive about that. We send cards *to* people, not *at* them... I hope so, anyway!
Well said.
There are so many holidays between September and January, and I think "Happy Holidays" means happy whichever holiday(s) you celebrate. Sort of a "Happy Whatever."
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Well said.
There are so many holidays between September and January, and I think "Happy Holidays" means happy whichever holiday(s) you celebrate. Sort of a "Happy Whatever."
Dea
I am one of the guilty ones who says and writes Happy Holidays. I send Hanukkah and Kwanzaa cards too. I do say Merry Christmas to my friends who celebrate Christmas. I celebrate Solstice and Orthodox. I fall in the category of all the holidays are in December, lol. There are so many beautiful holidays in December I don't want any of them forgotten. I am sentimental like that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Although I am never offended when I get a card that says "Merry Christmas," it is sort of like buying a gift for someone that you would like; not something the recipient would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
Yesterday when I posted I was in a snarky mood. That being said I am really a to each her own type of girl. But something in the first post struck a nerve. Only my stamping friends make cards. For me to expect everyone I send a card to put the effort I do when I make a card is crazy. Before my card making days, I would spend alot of time at Hallmark selecting the "perfect" card. I still try to make cards that fit the person I'm sending it to. Favorite colors, interests, ETC. My one SIL sends cards she gets from the places she donates money to. Do I toss the card aside because she didn't either make it or go to the store and spend $5.00? NO I don't because that dear girl has NEVER forgotten a birthday or occaision.
The whole point is SHE REMEMBERED ME!!! I am thankful for each and every card I receive.
BTW I'm going to be a Grandma for the first time in October...Guess who's sending out another Photo card this year!!!!
LOL When I can, I STILL love to spend time in the supermarket greeting-card aisle looking at cards! If I see any I love love LOVE, I still buy them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

I'm not Christian but I send cards every December. I used to keep my message generic and only used "Peace on Earth" on cards I made. I would sign them "thinking of you this holiday season".

I've relaxed a bit and now use my "Merry Christmas" stamps. I also started making Hanukkah cards for my Jewish friends. I try to be sensitive to others religions.

My biggest fear is that people will be judging me because I print address labels for my card. I know that is considered tacky under old - school etiquette rules.

I, like the OP, am bothered a bit when cards aren't hand-signed. I've seen his on 95% or more of the photo cards I've received, so I guess most other people aren't bothered by it or it wouldn't be so common. So I let it go. There are more important things in the world.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't bother me when people don't sign their photo cards, because some pens do not write on that coated paper! It can be hard for me to remember that, because I have practically every type of pen known to man and alien in my stash, but there are people of my acquaintance who use only basic Bic Stic ballpoints in black or blue - and it would never cross their mind to go out and buy a special pen just for their holiday cards.

Just like the address labels - I know it's supposed to be tacky to use them, and I don't. But if my son didn't, 95% of his outgoing mail wouldn't be delivered, because that young man's handwriting is nearly illegible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Just like the address labels - I know it's supposed to be tacky to use them, and I don't. But if my son didn't, 95% of his outgoing mail wouldn't be delivered, because that young man's handwriting is nearly illegible.
Good Lord, I had no idea that using address labels was tacky. Why? What is so wrong with address labels? I keep all my addresses in a Excel spreadsheet, and when it is time, I print them all out and attach them. I have taken the time to make a handmade card, I have added handwritten messages inside, handwritten updates on family if appropriate, or at the very least, hand signed the card. Then I put it in the envelope - and after all that using an address label is "tacky"? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Good Lord, I had no idea that using address labels was tacky. Why? What is so wrong with address labels? I keep all my addresses in a Excel spreadsheet, and when it is time, I print them all out and attach them. I have taken the time to make a handmade card, I have added handwritten messages inside, handwritten updates on family if appropriate, or at the very least, hand signed the card. Then I put it in the envelope - and after all that using an address label is "tacky"? I don't get it.
Omigosh, I am so sorry, I didn't mean to offend! I actually don't have a problem with them, and I think when I've read about the labels being tacky, it was more in the context of invitations and that sort of thing (where a gift is expected). The main reason I don't use them is that I'm too lazy to set up the spreadsheet with the addresses in the first place ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

I no longer use them BECAUSE one year we had quite a few of our Christmas cards returned. As the addresses were correct I can only presume it was because the Post Office/Royal Mail presumed we were a business and got lazy about delivering it. The previous year and the next year no problems when I hand addressed them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

I always hand write the name and address on a card. But I do use our pre-printed return address labels or stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Obviously I don't think they are because I use them. This is a very old school etiquette thing where personal correspondence is supposed to be hand-addressed. I have a coworker who still hand-addresses her business correspondence because she refuses to use labels or the printer for that. She even has perfect cursive handwriting. However, her envelopes get returned from time to time because the machines can't read her perfect cursive handwriting.

There aren't many people left who follow such strict etiquette.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I use labels for all my cards, year round. My arthritic hands cannot hold a pen steady enough to write out names and address especially on Christmas cards. Once a year I print out labels for family and friends for Christmas cards as well as birthday, anniversary, get well, congrats, etc. The only cards I hand address are sympathy cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I'm not Christian but I send cards every December. I used to keep my message generic and only used "Peace on Earth" on cards I made. I would sign them "thinking of you this holiday season".

I've relaxed a bit and now use my "Merry Christmas" stamps. I also started making Hanukkah cards for my Jewish friends. I try to be sensitive to others religions.

My biggest fear is that people will be judging me because I print address labels for my card. I know that is considered tacky under old - school etiquette rules.

I, like the OP, am bothered a bit when cards aren't hand-signed. I've seen his on 95% or more of the photo cards I've received, so I guess most other people aren't bothered by it or it wouldn't be so common. So I let it go. There are more important things in the world.
I sign my cards like that too. I write I hope you have a blessed and joyful Holiday season. I also try to be sensitive to other religions too. I have a few recipients I sign Merry Christmas.

Don't feel bad I am paranoid about the address labels too. I am dyslexic and all those numbers are a nightmare. I send cards to Europe, Australia and New Zealand. International addresses are a nightmare. I am using address labels. I do decorate my envelopes.

Reply With Quote Likes