Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside of cards?

I am wanting to make some note cards. I would like to use colored cardstock for the base of the card. What do you do for the inside of the card so it can be used as a note card?

Marilyn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Probably 99.9% of my cards have a white insert taped inside. I cut about 1/4" off each side of the white. Sometimes I'll computer-generate my message.. By taping it in, if the person doesn't like the message, they can remove it and put their own inside it. HTH.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I also cut a piece of white (or some other light color to coordinate with the front of my card) about a 1/4" smaller that the card and adhere that inside. Besides a sentiment, I usually do a little decoration on the inside that goes with what I stamped on the card front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Most of the time I also layer a piece of white cs to the inside, but a lot of times, I layer it with 2 layers to coordinate with the front of the card too, ending with a white or ivory layer in the inside. I also try to stamp it to coordinate with the front. It really adds a "wow" factor (at least to me).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 689 Likes on 355 Posts

I layer a piece of white or vanilla cardstock on the inside. I always stamp something on the inside that coordinates with the outside design, besides the sentiment. If you check my Gallery, I have several cards where I also show the inside of my cards. HTH! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a piece of white cardstock inside the card or some designer paper and then white cardstock. I also sometimes emboss one side of the insert.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

i usually leave the inside pretty much blank white...if i figure out what or whom i'm going to give the card to...i may add as i go along! giving a clean surface that is easy for anyone to write a message on is always a good plan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2twinsView Post
I am wanting to make some note cards. I would like to use colored cardstock for the base of the card. What do you do for the inside of the card so it can be used as a note card?

Marilyn
I buy a pad of VELLUM paper (clear colored) from Joann's for this purpose! It works beautifully in my computer--using a decorative font if I want to "write a note", or just have a nice piece of paper inside a (dark colored card).

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I never thought of using Vellum inside. I'll have to try that now. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I've found that people who don't craft will get confused by a card that's too thick or has too much bling on it. Last year I used a Basic Gray kit to make Christmas Cards for my mother. When I was done I had to take them to the post office and get them stamped before I gave them to her because they were too thick. To avoid frustration or disappointment I always make my gift-card sets out of standard blank white cards that you buy in bags at the craft stores. I create whatever front of the card I want- using whatever colors I want, including blacks. But the back and inside of the card are just your traditional white or ivory. If you are making the cards as gifts it's not about you, it's about them, so scale back your creativity just a bit and make the card easy to use!!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I have some really nice resume type text weight paper (typing paper weight). I cut a piece in half then cut about 1/2 inch off all around (If you are going to computer generate a greeting for the inside, don't cut the 1/2 in. off yet). I then fold in half and run a glue strip down the right side of the fold, match folds and there you have it, a thin layer that lets you put your greeting inside a dark base. If you look at the expensive Hallmark cards they have it like that. If you are going to use a computer generated inside greeting a lot, play around with your settings on your Word or whatever program to set it up and then SAVE the document. You will have all your margins and centering done for the next time. You can save a lot by using computer generated insides and not buying stamps for all of those that you don't use often enough to pay to buy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I use Avery's postcard template to generate computer messages for inside my cards.It saves a lot of measuring and guesswork for placement of computer generated messages.

I center the message in one of the postcard sections, being careful to leave enough white area around the wording so the insert can be cut smaller than the card. If I use the 2 bottom squares, I can cut and fold the paper like an insert or I can print in all 4 sections then cut and mat them for inside the card. A nice resume weight paper in soft pastel shades works nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default inside card

I usually don't do anything. If it's a lighter card stock I leave it along, if it's darker I will layer it with white or vanilla but I die cut it with the top note die cut from SU. Gives it a nice finished look. I'm sure you could also die cut it after running it through the printer, just be careful with placement on the die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I often use an insert......this way, if the receiver wants to "re-gift" the card, all they to is swap out the inside panel.

Rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually use white printer paper. I like to use a sheet that is trimmed to 5.25x8.25, then I fold it in half, then attach it to the inside on just the one end. It is similar to fancy cards you can buy. I received a card like this from my friend once and thought it was super classy. (am I describin this right? When you open the card the white paper goes on both sides and is attached only on the left edge. You line it up so the fold of the white paper nestles nicely into the fold of the card. )

I read on a similar thread about people buying quality but inexpensive stationary to cut down for these type inserts. I'm very interested in that. I plan to do it in the future. Nice writing paper, even if it's not expensive would be so nice in a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpearmanView Post
I often use an insert......this way, if the receiver wants to "re-gift" the card, all they to is swap out the inside panel.

Rita
That's what I am thinking when I use vellum...it's light..you can poke it with a brad at the top...or some decorative smudge of something with a flower, ribbon or doodad on top...If the recipient wants to reuse...just tear it off the inside and resend!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another cheat trick....Lets say you want to repurpose a card and it has been written -in inside....Cut off the front flap and re-glue the old card design to a NEW card base....INSTANT CUTE CARD!!! If you want to change the look a lil'...make the NEW card base just a lil' larger, add a ribbon before gluing and bada-bing-bada boom! DONE!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimarinemom2006View Post
I never thought of using Vellum inside. I'll have to try that now. TFS
Vellum paper is wonderful--I ink-emboss on it...use it as a shade ontop of a designed piece of paper...punch with it...Joann's seems to always have it in stock at a reasonable price (compared to buying it by the page at Acmoore of Michaels--if they even have vellum paper)...use your coupon...go buy some... it makes great clean "snow" when ripped at the ends...I could go on and on--call me VELLUM GAL! haha It's a staple in my work room!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

we need to clarify what vellum is being spoken about here. there is vellum which is the weight of writing paper and is commonly sold at stationery stores and then there is the vellum which is often used by stampers which is like a foggy not entirely transparent paper - guess it might be called opaque and it comes in different weights.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I put a layer of white card stock on the inside after cutting it down 1/4 on all sides. I don't put a sentiment but often stamp a design that matches the theme of the front....I like to not put in a sentiment as ........it leaves room for adding their own written message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacquie SiemensView Post
we need to clarify what vellum is being spoken about here. there is vellum which is the weight of writing paper and is commonly sold at stationery stores and then there is the vellum which is often used by stampers which is like a foggy not entirely transparent paper - guess it might be called opaque and it comes in different weights.

The vellum I use is from JoAnn's...it's in a package next to their assortment of 8.5 x11 card stock items (looking around room here for name/lb on the vellum)The Paper Company-sold right next to this brand-assuming its the same-I don't have the label on the vellum It's definitely not heavyweight...just regular weight...I have had absolutely no problem using this vellum paper...and nothing leaves my work room w/o being embossed with permanent ink...heavy duty heat gun (the wall paper remover kind--so it's a bit more powerful then the rinky dink ones you get at Michaels)...Love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 489 Likes on 362 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
I layer a piece of white or vanilla cardstock on the inside. I always stamp something on the inside that coordinates with the outside design, besides the sentiment. If you check my Gallery, I have several cards where I also show the inside of my cards. HTH! :-) LM
Thanks for posting those cards where you show the inside of the cards - it gave me some really good ideas for decorating the insides of mine. Your cards are gorgeous!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

This is great advice. I get so carried away making what "I" want in a set that I forget that it is for someone else to mail out. A set I made for my Mom is still sitting there because she is confused about how much postage to put on or if it is too bulky to mail. I learned my lesson. I will now go put postage on there for her so they are ready for her to mail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I've found that people who don't craft will get confused by a card that's too thick or has too much bling on it. Last year I used a Basic Gray kit to make Christmas Cards for my mother. When I was done I had to take them to the post office and get them stamped before I gave them to her because they were too thick. To avoid frustration or disappointment I always make my gift-card sets out of standard blank white cards that you buy in bags at the craft stores. I create whatever front of the card I want- using whatever colors I want, including blacks. But the back and inside of the card are just your traditional white or ivory. If you are making the cards as gifts it's not about you, it's about them, so scale back your creativity just a bit and make the card easy to use!!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, this is a big thing with my mother and my aunt, and most of their friends come to think about it, lol. They like a card so much they either cut off the signature if it's in the bottom corner, or they'll tape something over it. Their actions make me laugh, but when they like a card so much they want to share it, I say, go for it! Took me a long time to make and I'm proud of it, so when they are excited and want their friends to see it, I take it as a compliment!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

The cards I send go with my complete approval and appreciation for re-sending. With the work that is put into them, I would rather they be used again and again rather than sit on a shelf or be dumped in the trash. I insert a removable liner inorder for the recipient to be able to use it as a template then replace it with their own words and signature. Who knows, I may get my own card back someday. Wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
Oh, this is a big thing with my mother and my aunt, and most of their friends come to think about it, lol. They like a card so much they either cut off the signature if it's in the bottom corner, or they'll tape something over it. Their actions make me laugh, but when they like a card so much they want to share it, I say, go for it! Took me a long time to make and I'm proud of it, so when they are excited and want their friends to see it, I take it as a compliment!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

RubberTrucker....This topic was discussed in another thread on this site also. I agree with you, I would be very hurt if I sent a card to someone and they in turn sent it on to someone else. I made the card for them, not for the general public!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I have re-purposed cards, and I also put a removable liner in most of my cards in case someone wants to pass it on. Most of the people I know don't/can't save every single card they ever get (especially if they aren't crafters). I'd rather my card be shared than to be tossed, or put in a drawer to be forgotten about.

A question for Susanne-- How do you adhere your vellum in the card? When I use vellum, I usually add an embellishment to hide the adhesive, so I'm wondering how that is done on the inside. Do you ever stamp an image on the reverse side of the vellum on the inside? I wonder if you applied the adhesive behind a stamped image if that would hide it. Sounds like a great idea-- I love the look of vellum, and think it would be a perfect card liner!
Reply With Quote Likes