Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inking or Embossing Ink?

Fairly new to all the inks and that kind of stuff as have not stamped much for about 16 year. :cool:

Can someone please tell me about the different inks and when to use them There seem to be so many and I find it confusing.

My first questions would be...

If you were embossing what would be the best ink for that.

If you were wanting to sponge edges, distress etc what would you use.

Which ink is best if you want to paint or colour it?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Tim Holtz distress inks are good for embossing and sponging (using a sponge or dauber).
I also like the ColorBox chalk and pigment inks for sponging edges - I just have the little CatsEyes.
Versafine Black is my regular embossing one, as well as for colouring with any water-based media, pencils, crayons... StazOn is good with water-based media too, but is NOT good for embossing as it dries quickly, and not good with alcohol-based media.
For colouring with Copics I believe Memento is probably the best.
Those are just the ones I am familiar with and use regularly. I am sure others will be along with their own advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If you were embossing what would be the best ink for that. Versa Mark or Versafine Inks with Clear Embossing Powder

If you were wanting to sponge edges, distress etc what would you use. Stampin' Up Classic Inks if you are wanting to mix your colours without muddying them. Ranger Distress inks work great too but they do have a longer drying time.

Which ink is best if you want to paint or colour it? - Ranger Distress or Stampin' Up! Re-Inkers

These are just what I use and have had much success with them Hope that helps!

Last edited by blondie090277; 06-22-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Distress inks by Ranger only take a minute and half to dry at the most- so anyone new to Distress inks don't think it is like pigment ink where it can take a lot longer! It only dries a little slower then SU die inks because you can blend several colors or you can heat emboss if you move quickly, to get unique looks on your card.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabby ShazView Post
Which ink is best if you want to paint or colour it?
The answer you get to this will depend on how people read the question. If you want to use the ink to do the colouring (ie use it like a watercolour) then Distress inks are absolutely the best as they don't separate into different colours when you add water. Any dye based ink will do the job but sometimes you get nasty surprises when you add water!

If you're asking which ink is best to stamp an outline that you then paint with a watercolour type medium then you want something waterproof like Versafine or Stazon.

You're getting lots of brand names here, if you want to go to the basic info then...

Dye-based inks (e.g SU Classic, Adirondack by Ranger, Distress by Ranger (which dries a bit slower so you can actually emboss with this one, you can't with most dye inks)) - fast drying inks that basically soak into the page and stain it. Kind of transparent and good for sponging as well as stamping.

Pigment ink (eg SU Craft, Versafine, Adirondack Pigment by Ranger, Brilliance by Tsukineko)) - slower drying, good for embossing powders, they're opaque and basically sit one top of the paper surface more like a paint than a stain.

Solvent ink - Stazon is the one you're likely to find. You can stamp on slick surfaces (glass, glazed ceramics, CDs, acetate) etc with this and it's waterproof so good for stamping images you want to watercolour.

There are lots of inks that are "hybrids" (all the chalk inks, for example) that have a mix of the qualities of dye and pigment ink.

Most inks will tell you on the package what category they fall in to and if they don't then a member of staff in a LSS should be able to tell you.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Ladies - thank you so much.

I have been "collecting" inks as I have opportunity over the last couple of months and don't know how/where to use them.

Your answers are very helpful and now I can go through and match up what I have with the technique.

Awesome!!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #7  
Swapper of the Month January 2012

Definitely use Momento inks if you color with Copics. The others just ruin my markers.!!!

Goals for 2015 50 scrapbook pages/50 cards---progress 35/50 cards
Complete my daughter's wedding scrapbook album
Spend more time enjoying my friends and not so much time obsessing on work!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks - I have not tried Copics, mainly because they are not available here.

What about if you wanted to ink on the edge of photograph paper? How would you get that soft distressed look but get it to dry without getting all over everything? Has any one inked glossy photo paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #9  
Swapper of the Month January 2012

Quote:

What about if you wanted to ink on the edge of photograph paper? How would you get that soft distressed look but get it to dry without getting all over everything? Has any one inked glossy photo paper?
My only suggestion-and it might not work- would be to mix SU! reinker with a little alcohol on a cotton ball-that makes it alcohol ink. Then lightly edge the photo paper. I know it works on the glossy white paper that SU! sells. Or you could use any alcohol ink the same way I guess. Someone else might know more.

Goals for 2015 50 scrapbook pages/50 cards---progress 35/50 cards
Complete my daughter's wedding scrapbook album
Spend more time enjoying my friends and not so much time obsessing on work!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've used Stazon to sponge the edges of polymer clay pieces (I bloggged them here) - not quite the same but I can't see why it wouldn't work on glossy paper. I should say though that the Stazon discoloured badly after a couple of months (the Timber Brown ended up looking more like a lime green!) so it depends a bit on the project you're working on as to whether that's a suitable solution, I guess. Samswindle's idea of adding a couple of drops of dye-based reinker to some rubbing alcohol sounds well worth a try too.

The other ink that dries on glossy is Brilliance by Tsukineko. It's a pigment ink so you wouldn't usually choose it for sponging but you could try it with a light hand on some scrap and see how it works, I guess.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ditto on using Versa Magic Momentos for any colouring with copics. You can get deals on copics on ebay... your best best

I also use Versa Magic Chalk Ink for the cheap stamps you get at dollar stores and at the counter at Jo Anns and other places as the chalk ink won't "bead up" on your stamp. If you've ever used a dye ink on your stamp and when you stamped it some of the lines were "blotchy" (little pools almost of ink some places and no or very thin lines of ink other places) it's because the dye ink (water based) "pooled" on the stamp. The CHALK ink is "heavy" and when you put it on the stamp it won't move and you can also see it so you know if there is any part of the stamp that is not inked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

My understanding is that you can use Distress Inks for this. I haven't done it myself - but I've seen plenty of projects where people color portions of b&w pics with them. Here is what I found on the Ranger site:

ON PHOTOS: FINALLY an ink formulated for photos! Whether you're a scrapbooker or not you can use all types of photos (vintage or new ones) on your cards and pages. The Distress Inks work on all types of photos - inkjet, laser, toner copies, regular photos (matte or glossy) and even color photos! Start by using the lightest colors ANTIQUE LINEN or OLD PAPER with either a brayer or DTP (direct to photo). Cover the photo in the lighter colors, blend the colors with
a small piece of Cut n' Dry Foam after you apply the inks - these inks stay
wet long enough for you to blend out any lines or marks other ink pads leave on
photos. Next age the edges with VINTAGE PHOTO or WALNUT STAIN by applying the pad directly to the edges - soften and mix the tones with a small piece of Ranger Cut �n Dry� Foam. Of course to complete the aged process lightly sand - YES SAND - the photo with medium grit sand paper. Don't go over anyone's face, but just make a few scratches here and there.

PHOTO TINTING:
Distress Inks acid-free, easy to blend formula makes them your best choice
for photo tinting. Make a black and white copy of your favorite photo onto
Ranger Gloss Paper. Select areas of your photo to colorize. Pick up ink directly from the Distress Pads with Cut n' Dry Nibs and color. It's that easy! Cut n' Dry Nibs provide the control you need to place colors exactly where you want them. Distress Photo Edging Make any photo look antique. Cut a small square of Cut
n� Dry Foam. Ink the foam on one of the Distress pads. Rub the inked foam
around the edges of the photo for an aged effect.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Default Inks!

Here are my comments about inks and their applications.

Heat Embossing: Use a pigment ink or watermark ink. Can use either clear ink like VersaMark or coloured pigment ink pads like Colorbox, Brillance, or Stampin� Up Craft. Note if embossing on velum can almost use any dye or pigment ink as it takes a while for any ink to absorb.

Using on clear stamps: I mostly use Ancient Page ink but have also used pigment inks and StazOn.

To stamp outline images to colour in: My favrourite is Versa Fine ink that has been heat embossing � works great for aqua painters, paintbrush, watercolour crayons, gamasol, etc�

For watercolouring, sponging and stippling: Can use any dye ink (water based inks) except the permanent ones. For using an aqua brush I often just use my SU Classic dye inks as I have a range of colours but have also used Distress Inks. For sponging and stippling I mostly use distress ink s or SU Classic Dye ink.

Glossy Card Stock or Acetate: For stamping an image, I prefer to use Ancient Page by Clearsnap as it dries with a nice even coverage, whereas I find StazOn dries with outside area light and the inside much darker � it�s like to pools in the middle. Alcohol Inks work wonderfully on glossy card stock!

For dying ribbon or paper flowers: Use dye ink re-inkers or alcohol inks. Dye re-inkers give a lighter colour and alcohol inks are more vibrant.

For coloring metal: Alcohol inks work really well for adding colour to silver brads, charms or other items. I often use a Q-tip to apply ink to small items.

Other resources: If you want to find out more about inks and their applications I would go to the manufactures website such as: Tsukineko, Ranger Inks, Clearsnap & Steward Superior

Hope this helps!
Treena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #14  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

I inked on photos here with Walnut Stain
and here with Aged Mahogany
I used the TimHoltz Distress inks.... did have to set it aside to dry, but not like HOURS
if this is what you are meaning

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Ladies, thank you so much!!!

I broke out my inks and tried a couple of different ones with some new stamps...joined in on the Card Sketch with my stamps here with it for the first time too.

This is an awesome resource and I am sure to keep referring back here as I learn/buy more.

Last edited by Shabby Shaz; 07-09-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes