Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm sure this has been asked but...

I heard from some SU Demonstrators that you don't need to store your ink pads upside down, that the ink pads will always be moist and other SU Demonstrators have said to store them upside down....Which is right? If I store mine upright it seems I have to ink the stamp several times before it is fully covered and that is even when I get a new pad...Same for the stazon and all others..anyone have an answer to this dilemna I'm having?

What about markers of any kind? vertical or horizontal storage?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #2  
neglecting the kids and housework

The pads are stored upside down when closed. And yes that keeps ink at the top of the pad. Some colors are wetter than others. I've had pads for five years and only have had to reink one so far.

Markers I don't know about sorry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

The pads are made so that the pad flips upside down when the pad is closed. Therefore, it is stored upside down when the case is rightside up. Therefore, no need to turn it over as it already is. Hope that makes sense. If you intentionally turn it upside down, then the ink sinks to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

It depends on what style ink pads you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the markers, I know SU markers need to be stored on their side or horizontally. And I know Copics can be stored either way.

As others have answered, the new style of SU ink pads are made so the pad is upside down when it's closed.

HTH
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Question

I have the new pads...so that means when I am stacking them..I stack them in my container, I stack with the printed label on top or down? Sorry to be dumb about this....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #7  
neglecting the kids and housework

putting your pads with printed label facing up is correct. The pads are flipped when you slid and close the lid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Smile

okay. I think I've got it right in my pea brain. LOL!!! Thanks ladies for all your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think it makes logical sense to have the pad upside down when not in use so that gravity can do its thing. The confusion might be over the fact that the SU ink pads are designed to be upside down when the case is closed, meaning that you don't flip the whole case upside down like you would with other ink cases. I hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

When I went to Ranger U, Tim told us that you don't have to store your ink pads upside down.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeateView Post
When I went to Ranger U, Tim told us that you don't have to store your ink pads upside down.
Beate, thanks for sharing that! I have my distress pads stored upside down and they would be so much easier to remove from their stacks if they were right side up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Smile

Quote:

Thanks Beate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Pigment pads need to be stored upside-down after being used for a while. Dye only need to be stored upside down when they need to be reinked. If you turn new die pads upside-down they can leak, BIG MESS! New SU! are already upside down so presumably they are designed to do so without leaking! Pigment pads need to be stored upside-down more so than dye ink because the ink is thicker and takes longer to rise to the surface. Any type of pad may need to go upside down for a short while if you are stamping repeatedly like when stamping multiples assembly-line style. You simply use up all the ink near the top of the pad quickly and turning it upside-down for a while brings more ink to the surface.

Thank goodness when I was embossing wedding favours that I had two Versamark pads so one could sit upside down while I used the other.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting - I store all my non-SU pads upside down and I've never had one leak even after just reinking except cat's eye and cube style stamps which leak. Since all my pads have labels that I can read with the pad upside down I'll just keep with what I'm doing. Plus the gravity issue just makes sense to me as I want the ink at the top of the pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

the advice i've always been given is when new store upright and only when they are starting to dry out should you need to store them upside down. most new inkpads are juicy enough without requiring to be stored upside down. in fact, they'll be too juicy to stamp properly with and you'll over-ink your stamps.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default RANGER DISTRESS INK LIDS

Quote:

Aaaaah, good to know. I have been storing my distress pads upside down. When I select and pick up my pads, the older pads have lids that are snug and I have to take them off. When I bought my two newest pads, I noticed the lids were quite loose. In fact, when I pick them up, the lids actually fall off. I would think that the lids should all fit snug to preserve the ink, right? I have had some of the pads that have snug-lids for two yrs. Even though I use them a lot, they are still pretty inky. Logically, I would think that loose-fitting lids on my newest pads, will cause them to "dry out" fast? Any thoughts or suggestions, other than letting Ranger know? Oh, and how do you use the refill bottle "droppers" to re-ink your distress pads? :confused: I looked for a video as I'm a visual learner, but I couldn't find one. The other reinkers I have are all little "squirt" bottles and I know how to use those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I've always stored my dye-based inkpads upside-down and my pigment inkpads right-side-up. It has worked for me for almost 10 years, and I don't think I'm going to change what I'm doing. I will have to respectfully disagree with those who say that you don't have to store your dye inkpads upside-down. I've found that the ink does sink to the bottom of the pad if you don't. Whatever works for you, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with Scrapjanny... and I've had some of my ink pads for almost 15 years. Dye inks upside-down because they're on felt pads, pigment inks right side up because they're on foam pads. However, I have two exceptions to the dye pads: Ranger Distress Inks and Memories Shadow Inks - these I store right side up because of the nature of the inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Default Loose Distress Lids

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabalotView Post
Aaaaah, good to know. I have been storing my distress pads upside down. When I select and pick up my pads, the older pads have lids that are snug and I have to take them off. When I bought my two newest pads, I noticed the lids were quite loose. In fact, when I pick them up, the lids actually fall off. I would think that the lids should all fit snug to preserve the ink, right? I have had some of the pads that have snug-lids for two yrs. Even though I use them a lot, they are still pretty inky. Logically, I would think that loose-fitting lids on my newest pads, will cause them to "dry out" fast? Any thoughts or suggestions, other than letting Ranger know? Oh, and how do you use the refill bottle "droppers" to re-ink your distress pads? :confused: I looked for a video as I'm a visual learner, but I couldn't find one. The other reinkers I have are all little "squirt" bottles and I know how to use those.
I have a really loose distress lid, too. Do others know if this is a concern?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same Ranger questions with re-inking and loose lids. Hopefully someone will have some answers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

subbing

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Team Member

Quote:

I just opened several of mine up to see if they are loose or tight. I don't think the ink will dry out faster with your looser sitting pad tops. The pad top edges are imbedded into a ridge inside the pad. I think that design alone will prevent the drying out. But that's just my guess.

Reinking ink pads is easy. I just fill up the dropper the reinker comes with completely and while moving it slowly across the pad I squeeze. If it doesn't soak in completely right away at some spots, I use a piece of scrap cardstock to smooth it out over the pad. Does that make sense?

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Team Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
subbing
Do you know you don't have to post to a thread to subscribe to it? Check above the thread you want to subscribe to and click on thread tools. There click subscribe. Easy peasy!

Hugs and smiles

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just opened several of mine up to see if they are loose or tight. I don't think the ink will dry out faster with your looser sitting pad tops. The pad top edges are imbedded into a ridge inside the pad. I think that design alone will prevent the drying out. But that's just my guess.

Reinking ink pads is easy. I just fill up the dropper the reinker comes with completely and while moving it slowly across the pad I squeeze. If it doesn't soak in completely right away at some spots, I use a piece of scrap cardstock to smooth it out over the pad. Does that make sense?
Thanks for letting me know how to use the dropper. A little more difficult than the convenience of a squirt bottle, but the same back and forth across the pad movement. Re the pads - it's pretty much like the lid is just laying loosely over the pad ... like if you were to lay a lid atop of a bowl, instead of pressing it down and sealing it. I'm storing both pads upside down on a plastic lid (to catch any leaks, which thus far, are none.)

I know this has nothing to do with storing ink pads but I did a couple searches and I can't find an answer. I'm sure you have the answer and that you can direct me! If I make a card and it isn't for a specific challenge, it's just my own card, can I post it on SCS? When I tried to do it, I couldn't. I think I had to choose from a list of challenge codes to post it, and my card was just my card? Thanks for directing me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Quote:

Do you know you don't have to post to a thread to subscribe to it? Check above the thread you want to subscribe to and click on thread tools. There click subscribe. Easy peasy!

Hugs and smiles
Beate, thank you! I had no idea I could subscribe that way! Much better than putting unnecessary postings in a thread.

Cheers,
Susan

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

If I make a card and it isn't for a specific challenge, it's just my own card, can I post it on SCS? When I tried to do it, I couldn't. I think I had to choose from a list of challenge codes to post it, and my card was just my card? Thanks for directing me.
Yes, you can post a card that isn't for a challenge! I've never participated in a challenge and still have a gallery. I am not sure what didn't work for you and someone will probably know in a second what wasn't working, but they just haven't had time to answer your question yet. If you don't get your question answered here try posting it on another thread. Good luck posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about StazOn inks? Store right side up or upside down???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravengirlView Post
What about StazOn inks? Store right side up or upside down???
I store every ink pad upside down (except SU KWIM). I only put enough ink in my Stazon for a one time use and reink as needed. I find that I don't need to use as much ink and it's always fresh. I'm starting to do this with all my pads that I don't use on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Likes