Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
He should tease his hair up higher so things won't go over his head...
Ha ha ha! I'm still laughing!! Good one! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

To Jobear and Victoria: I recently saw a quote on Pinterest " Nothing says love like a folded piece of paper."
Yes, give him construction paper and a pencil...maybe stickers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sue, I do the same. Each time I use a set, it "costs" $1. . . $27 set used 27 times, "paid for." Great thread and lots of laughs.
I like to think they just don't understand the time it takes and that making multiple cards isn't that much fun. . . But .50 is a bit cheap even if they don't get the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 02:40 AM   #44  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly CreationsView Post
Sue, I do the same. Each time I use a set, it "costs" $1. . . $27 set used 27 times, "paid for." Great thread and lots of laughs.
I like to think they just don't understand the time it takes and that making multiple cards isn't that much fun. . . But .50 is a bit cheap even if they don't get the other.
I love that idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I don't think people realize how incredibly expensive these supplies have gotten over the last 10 years. My sister was struck dumb when I explained what stamp sets cost now, DSP pads, what good 110lb card stock costs, the price of the Silhouette, all the Spellbinder dies on my wall, the paper trimmer and Big Shot... She said "You have a FORTUNE invested in tools and paper! How come this stuff is so expensive when I can buy a set of 20 cards with matching envelopes for $5?"

It does make me wonder some times. People are shocked when I tell them how much it really costs me to make a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote:

The one I don't get is "I'm bored." Really? Truly? With all of the books and movies and games and puzzles and national parks and local parks and a bizillion recreational activities and countless supplies for every imaginable interest readily available at any given moment you're BORED?!?!?!?!?!
I've always told my sons "only boring people get bored". One time, when Joey was about 12, he started whining that he was bored. He quickly found himself washing windows and doing housework. He never told me he was bored again. He's now almost 18. LOL

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
I've always told my sons "only boring people get bored". One time, when Joey was about 12, he started whining that he was bored. He quickly found himself washing windows and doing housework. He never told me he was bored again. He's now almost 18. LOL
I wish I could "like" this post 20x's. What a great Mom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

He should tease his hair up higher so things won't go over his head...

Hahaha.....love it!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

It would have been more flattering to your hobby and talent if he asked you to gift him the cards. 50 cents is just an insult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
It would have been more flattering to your hobby and talent if he asked you to gift him the cards. 50 cents is just an insult.
Yes, that's exactly it! If he had something along the lines of: "I really like your cards. Would it be possible for you to make me some sets of cards that I can give to others?" - then I would have been happy to do so. And the way that he put it that "he would tell people that I made them so it gets my name known & would possibly lead to more people asking" really rubbed me up the wrong way.

I have made sets of cards for others before and they were all gifted because I love to give people something from my heart. I couldn't care less whether people "know" my name - I'm not doing this hobby to be famous or to earn any money. I just love (and I quote from Jennifer Maguire) to "Share Handmade Kindness". Every card I make has a small piece of my heart in it - I think of the person when I make it - it is created with love and emotion.

I know how much it has meant to me when someone has surprised me with a card. I have had cards from quite a few SCS members & they are posting from overseas to Australia! I had a card from a member (from the UK) a little while ago because they had noticed that I hadn't been uploading cards & were worried about me & wanted me to know they were thinking of me (my husband had unexpected major surgery & unable to do anything at home so I was being a Carer for him as well as my daughter = no time for crafting + I have no family support which is tough). I cried when I received the card & just to know that someone noticed I had been missing meant so much to me. I still get teary when I think of the kindness of this member.

And that's why I do this hobby - not for glory; not to save money by making my own cards instead of buying them; not to show off - and certainly not for 50 cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #51  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by loyceView Post
I save by making cards... I save the hours I used to spend trying to find the perfect card for each person on every occasion.
Could we have the same BIL? Mine grudgingly asked me how much he owed me after I made all the window treatments and home decor items for a new master suite and bath. Coy B--ch that I am, I replied, "You could NEVER afford my work. It was a labor of love for Sis." He actually looked relieved but I still felt smug. That may be small and mean, but hey, that's the kind of person I am!
Seen the rubber stamp that reads, "If you think I made this card because I'm cheap, you never bought a rubber stamp."?
I NEED me one of those stamps!!! I have a variety of "back of the card" stamps that are fun, but my most used stamp of all time? It's the word Hallmark, with the circle and slash printed over it. That "Not Hallmark" goes on pretty much every card I make.

The OPs bil is who he is, nothing is going to change him. If he wants cards, though, and he's that handy, I'd work up a remodel plan for the craft room, with sketches and swatches, and inform him that as soon as he has bought the materials at his expense, and finished the remodel TO YOUR SATISFACTION, then you'll get right on his cheap cards.

btw- I also am in love with the teased hair remark!!! Genius!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
Reminds me of the time my youngest decided once again that he was too sick to go to school. I let him stay home, but he stayed in bed. No video games, no TV. Bed all day. He never played hookie again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Reminds me of the time my youngest decided once again that he was too sick to go to school. I let him stay home, but he stayed in bed. No video games, no TV. Bed all day. He never played hookie again!
OMG! We did the exact same for my nephew Jake. It just killed him to only lay in his bed. He quit pulling those shenanigans when there was no reward, only boredom!

Reply With Quote Likes