Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #481  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feb 1st...not a single$ spent on any papercrafting supplies! Now, I have added a few items to my "want list". But they must stay on the want list for at least 2 weeks, preferably a month before they get serious consideration. I have used my supplies, purged a few items and feel great! Yeah for everyone who made progress toward their goal, whatever that goal for your papercraft budget is. And here's a big hug of encouragement for anyone struggling. It's a new Month. A new beginning. This is such a great thread! Thanks to all who have bared their crafting souls. (Oooh, the word bare made me shiver as we are in a blizzard warning in Kansas today!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #482  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 516 Likes on 360 Posts

Yep I have to agree, adhesive and blades can't count. If you can't cut you can't use what you have. Without adhesive your can't create!

Gwen your avatar cracked me up! He's adorable!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #483  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in the stamp to spend challenge adhesives don't count. A whole new cutting system when the one you have works fine I would consider an extra, but replacement blades for one you already have and use regularly seems like the same thing as adhesive.

I had no purchases in Jan either - at least not stamping stuff but I did buy $100 worth of jigsaw puzzles to go with the new puzzle board my mom bought. BTW, I did carefully consider each one and sat on it for a week first, so I applied the same cautious attitude and am happy with my end decision.
I still plan to use my gift certificate and saved stamping money in Feb, but I will take another hard look at my order before placing it to be sure I'm not just impulse buying.
Congrats to everyone who didn't spend or really thought about it first this last month.

Last edited by dogzruleca; 02-01-2011 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #484  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikkijoView Post

Gwen your avatar cracked me up! He's adorable!!
Thank you! I assume you were talking about my boxerdog, Katie.

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #485  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't read all the replies. I lost my job and had a part time minimum wage job all last year. I HAD to go cold turkey. I haven't bought anything scrapbooking in over a year. I'm actually looking forward to breaking my no spending streak now that I have a good paying job and can buy something. It won't and can't be much but first thing I'll be buying will be glue...*sigh* haha.

Good luck to you all to not spend! I hope you have GREAT success!!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #486  
Compulsive Stamper

When I started this craft it was because I spent so much of my time and money on my family. I work very hard and have provided my children their every desire(dance classes, show choir shoes and dresses, prom dresses, show horses, college educations, etc.) My husband has raced stock cars, has a car addiction and a shop full of tools. The money I spend on stamping in 1 year does not equal what they spend on any of their hobbies in 1 year. I have my wish list and I refuse to cut it down just because I have enough supplies to last me a lifetime. Everyone in the family must have their own hobby and until I took up stamping my hobby was supporting them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #487  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Smile

Sounds like you deserve it, and you can afford it, so that is a good thing! I don't blame you a bit. We all deserve to have something that is just "ours"!
Everyone's situation is different.
I just need to "cool it" for several reasons. One is so I can accomplish some goals; pay off some bills, save money etc... The second is because I have literally run out of room. I get overwhelmed when I get too many supplies. Also, I want to "use" what I have. I've become more of a treehugger lately, and I don't want to waste what I have.
On the beneficial side, it is good therapy. I just want to exercise some control. I want it to be for my benefit, and not my detriment.
Krista, congrats on your job! That is awesome!
Hope you are all enjoying your hobby, no matter how much or how little you spend!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 02-01-2011 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #488  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so proud of myself! I'm in a stamp club. I only spent $20 inc. tax and shipping (our minimum is $15) for January AND it was a SAB month AND it was my BFF's month as the hostess. I am the hostess for March, which is the last month of SAB. Since it's my month, AND it's the last month for SAB, I prolly won't be good. But I vowed that it will be my largest purchase of SU for the year. The rest of the year I will only order the minimum and THAT'S IT!! LOL! This is a big deal for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #489  
Matboard Maniac

I did well in Jan and spent Zero and used a lot of stuff. I am going to keep my budget at zero this month too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #490  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default please don't feel guilty if yopu buy something!

Hi girls,
I read a lot of "guilt" on this thread from some of you, please don't feel guilty that you have a hobby you love and want to but bladses, adhesives and the occasional stamp set. For the woman who has supported her familys hobbies, it is your turn now and good for you!

Instead of thinkingh of where you slipped up think of what you have not bought since January. I seem to be drawn to the same type of stamps and this thread is making me think before I but ANOTHER set of cute vintage children or callendar stamp sets. I do not NEED everything I see esp. if it is not much different than what I have already.

Every year I allow myself to place a generous SAB order from my SU demo friend, this year will be no diffrent (although the SAB set are not to thrilling) and I think looking forward to that curbs my appitite for the other stamps out there. Weather we are gong cold turkey or dieting we are all doing great! We are thinkinh about our purchases and that will make us better

good luck everyone, no guily, if you slip just get back up and start walking again, think of how far you have come!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #491  
Pearl-ExPert

What I am enjoying most about this thread is that I feel more "in control" and I am thinking through my purchases more. I just got an email from one of my fav on-line cross stich stores having a 20% off sale and I deleted it. Cold-turkey might not be an option for me but thinking about what I am spending my money on is working!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #492  
Stazon Splitcoast

yes more in control ;)
love the stamp to spend thread, keeping more control and not feeling bad when buying, because i'm using what I have ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #493  
Gabfest Goddess

I have to agree that not only do I feel more in control of my spending, but I really like the fact that I am actually USING the supplies that I have on hand. I actually think I am more creative. Instead of spending hours online looking at all the new and old stuff, I spend more time making things. What a concept!
Now, today I am going over to my LSS to do a make n take and they have a back room where you can bring your used craft items to sell and get store credit. I have a box of stuff I am bringing to sell and it will allow me to buy stuff like cling foam (that I really need right now) and other things like adhesive. So I am, slowly, cleaning out my craft room and by selling the stuff and getting store credit I am not spending any additional money.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #494  
Crimping Master

I would like to congratulate you people who can stick to your resolutions! I personally know shopaholic women who have had to check into rehab and were at a point where their credit and financial situation was in shambles because of hobbies or just because they were compulsive buyers. Don't let this happen to you! This is such a great thread. Support and no judging is great, but at some point you have to stop shrugging it off when you see yourself slipping too frequently. I'm TERRIFIED of losing control of my life. Had a wake up call about 2 months ago when I was going through my stuff, and saw so much I never used and never will, because it's just not my taste. Got rid of that stuff. It's very good I have developed my style, and from now on I can stick to it and save myself lots of money. I have made myself see that I don't need 100 different flower stamps, or any sentiment stamps (those can be printed off the internet in any conceivable font or color directly into your cardstock of choice), nor every single stamp I think looks cute. No need to have a monkey in 20 different poses. No need to have 15 stamps of the same bear in different backgrounds, etc. There's no need to have 40 different embossing folders, nor 100 different nestled dies- most of them are only slightly different from each other! Also, I honestly don't see the point of an electronic cutter when I can piece stamped images if I want them to be in different colors or have some part of them pop out. I am SO happy I've become aware of these things and that I won't be doing needless spending any more.
I will join you girls on a diet. I can't not spend anything at all, as I use TONS of flowers and adhesive rhinestones and some colors of brads, so I'm constantly running out and restocking on those. I'll not use a coupon every time there is one, not even to buy adhesive, because I've noticed a single roll of double sided-tape lasts for over a month, and there's coupons out every week, if not multiple ones a week! Doesn't that work out to more tape than you use, if you buy some every time you have a coupon? If I DO need something, I'll wait for a coupon or sale and get it then, when I notice I'm running low on a specific thing.
I also worked out to not go and buy a single sheet of paper every time I see one I like. That's pretty useless in my case (me being a scrapbooker), as I can't do double layouts with any of the single sheets I've bought. I saw I had over 300 single sheets... even if they cost each, on average, 50 pennies, then that still amounts to over 150 dollars! It's a definite eye-opener! I will instead only buy a pad of a collection I adore and which suits my tastes and style, and can probably get a whole coordinating scrapbook out of that pad, not single random pages here and there.
I really like the idea of exchanging stuff for credit or just swapping. Will have to do that if a particular stamp or die becomes boring to me, and I can get a new one of the same category (example - robot stamp or label die), and start afresh! Otherwise, I think I am very well stocked in regards to cardstock and patterned paper and basic tools. I have a few stickles, but don't intend on buying any single other ever again. 2.50 each amounts to over 150 dollars in glitter glue, when a glue pen and a set of fine glitter doesn't even add up to 25.
I wish you girls success and resolve if you really want to cut back/not spend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #495  
Glitter Queen

Money Saver A LONG POST THAT MAKES SENSE

I read your post and all of it makes so much sense. I have enough stamps, cardstock, paper to last me until I'm pushing up daisies. I find myself buying instead of sitting at my craft table and creating. I go from blog to blog and print out gorgeous card samples that I plan on recreating. But here it is almost Valentines Day and I have yet to create any valentines. What is with that??
Is it time to stop this insanity and close up shop. Have a big garage sale and when I need a card just stop at Target, Hallmark and purchase one. I've seriously thought about this.
I do enjoy making the cards if I could just stop with the buying. You can never keep up with all the new items coming out. Every company has something new every month. If a added up all I have invested in card making I probably would flip. And if my husband knew he'd do a double-flip.
And then there is the craft room. What a mess. Buying cabinets and storage units is another expense.
Anyone out there have any more suggestions on how to cure this scrapbooking/cardmaking compulsive buying or should I just close up shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #496  
Stampin' Fool

Very well said and I have to admit I'm guilty of buying when I really don't NEED the product I'm buying. I don't over buy with any other type of product, clothes, household items etc. Craft items are my drug of choice. I do make an effort to stop myself because it gets to the point of being ridiculous. I have enough Twinkling H2O's to twinkle for a lifetime but, oh look...new colors....and out comes the charge card. I totally understand people who do this. I'm doing better. I don't use every coupon for the 3 craft stores in my area every week like I used to. Am I still buying stuff? Yes but alot less than I used to. I'm also not looking at the on line stores I used to shop. I'm buying things to improve the look of the cards that I don't already have and I'm keeping that at a minimum. Not buying nearly the amount of things I used to. So...I'm getting better - I think.
Judka - don't close up shop. Just make up your mind to use what you have - and then you can go shopping again. If you really enjoy what you're doing don't give it up. Before you buy something just ask yourself if you already have that product, do you really need it, and just talk yourself out of it. That's what I'm trying to do. Good luck.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #497  
Crimping Master

Judka, no need to close up shop! If you accept and agree that you have a buying problem, get help and join support groups. Everyone needs some sort of distraction from everyday stress- a hobby. Don't let BUYING become your hobby (unless you have limitless money/storage, then go all out !). You enjoy crafting, and that's great. As the previous poster said, focus on using what you have! You'll notice you don't need anything else if you're stocked on the products you use most. Try to challenge yourself to create, and, say, buy a pack of embellishments you use (no hoarding!) or a pack of cardstock you are running low on when you've created, say, 10 projects. I can't believe how much joy and fun I'm having now that I decided to stop buying except when I'm running out. I'm not worrying or in fear of losing control because I accepted I had a problem, and decided I was not going to let it ruin things for me, nor let it win. I worry if you close up shop now, without getting help or anything, you'll shop for some other thing instead. My shrink told me of a lady that would spend hundreds of dollars a month because she bought new flowers every single day! As in, bouquets for the house. Like, maybe really rich people can afford to spend all that money, but she certainly wasn't in a position to spend so much on something she'd throw away the next day, over and over again. That's why she got help. Even if you don't want to visit a shrink or psychology doctor, please seek support and guidance. Honestly, support groups can do wonders for people with ... well, it IS a shopping addiction. I can attest to that. I don't do the shrink thing anymore, but I have many loved ones who help me keep in track, and who are there for me when I call at 4 pm or so with a craving to go buy something or other that I totally do not need!
If you need my support or advice or whatever, feel free to send me a private message if you'd like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #498  
Embossing Fanatic

I was feeling stifled and overwhelmed with all the supplies I have, and not an idea where to start, in which direction. It was crippling and, like Judka, I was considering giving it up. But recently I've gotten involved in two new groups... One is an ATC trading group of 9 and the other is an altered dictionary project 10 of us are doing round-robin style. I've found that these new projects/commitments are helping to get the old creative juices flowing again.

So, Judka...... maybe you can "mix it up" a bit and see if you can get out of the rut. It's been working for me so far. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #499  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been on a diet, since January, and its been going good, I have bought stuff but only what I need and have been crafting so making up what I bought.
Love the Stamp to Spend thread.
I do need to downsize some of my stuff, but everything so far so good ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #500  
Gabfest Goddess

I made it through the first week of February with no purchases (yeah!!!). But my G40 copic marker - which I use often - is drying out. I will need to get a refill for this color very soon. It means I will be treading into dangerouss online store waters.....

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #501  
Pearl-ExPert

I DID IT!!! I made it through the first week of the month and bought just some neccessities. I needed some fibers to work on a punch needle project so I ventured into my local cross stitch shop. And I made it out with JUST the floss on my list. Then, tonight I went to Joanne's to pick up some blades for my cutter. And guess what? That's all I walked out with (and a Twix :rolleyes:, I felt I had earned it). In my mind I kept asking myself, Want or Need? When I stop and think it is an easy question to answer. Thanks for the support, ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #502  
Crimping Master

Nancy! May I suggest you first look around for coupon codes for the online store you're using? And then, coupon or not, since you really need this to go on, go to your fave store, search for the specific item, add to cart, CHECK OUT! No browsing allowed browsing leads you into temptation...
I was on scrabpook.com the other day, since I need a few tools like an Xacto (with a retractable blade for safety measures-trust me, this isn't a whim :O) and a non-stick mat to leave on my glitter/embossing area (a total globby mess right now!), and I found myself adding like hundreds of dollars of merch even though I KNEW I was doing it "just because it was on a deal". I've been slowly emptying the cart out as my whims dissipate. Been considering this purchase for a week now. Every single day more than 2 items leave my cart. I hope to only stay with what I wanted and a few other things like the Glossy and Crackle effects, which I consider tools, as I have so much use for them that they're not just to embellish. I'm conscious I'm not justifying myself to get this or that paper pad, or a HUMONGOUS bag of prima flowers (which I might ask for as a treat for birthday or present, since my average project uses up 20 of them or more!), or several packages of brads only because they're on clearance, etc. As I whittle down the shopping cart, I feel even better for not spending compulsively like I used to do, just load the cart and not think twice before making a $400 purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #503  
Insane Embellisher

I want to thank you all for your posts on this thread. I have WAAAY too much stuff, especially since I like to make my own embellishments and recycle. I have been so much more observant of my wants vs. needs since I started reading your comments, and I have cut back on expenditures (not able to go cold turkey yet), and I have noticed that the spending was a symptom of my depression. Now I am exercising more, crafting (rather than buying) more, and wondering what I was thinking! I love the positive energy and great suggestions that have been posted here. Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #504  
Crimping Master

Way to go, Kathy! I'm proud you get to exercise despite depression, which makes you want to do absolutely nothing. I've been there. Are we posting our stash-depleting creations under a certain code or something in the gallery? Does anyone know more about this? I'm new here and am not sure how things work, but we could inspire each other with well-deserved oohs and aahs over all the beautiful things that can be done without having to buy a single other material- just from using the tons of things we have stocked up on over the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #505  
Crimping Master

lol Jen, I just read your post. Still getting used to a forum, so I sometimes completely skip over a some stuff without meaning to. I think you DID deserve that twix! Way to go!

If anyone feels frustrated at dieting or going cold turkey, share your frustrations as well! It's not as easy for some as for others. Maybe you feel like you must have something, and it's actually causing you stress not buying it. Vent and I'll gladly talk you through it if you'd like, lol
Also, if anyone kinda needs something specific for an upcoming project, please post and I'll see if I can help out. Should help motivate not to spend, when it can be gotten for free, right!?
Support is so important with these kinds of things... I can't stress that enough. I'm thankful to have found this thread, and thankful for the thread creator for braving up and starting it! Maybe soon you'll have lots of followers/cheerleaders/supporters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #506  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just cleared out three big bags of "stuff" from my craft room - things I'll never miss that have been clogging up my drawers. It was very liberating. Sold some at a crafting garage sale (made $45), gave some to a friend who has just started scrapbooking and stamping and the rest I will bring to school for my students to use to make Valentines and other cards with. Win win for all involved!

I'm enjoying following this thread. Haven't gone cold turkey but have definitely reduced my purchases. Good inspiration here.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #507  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Smile

Still loving this thread! Been enjoying reading everyone's progress! Getting my room in order and decluttering helped a lot! Actually have made some cards and using supplies I haven't used in a long time. Using my scrap papers and supplies I have on hand. Using my stuff and spending so much time getting my room organized has really curbed my desire to buy anymore stuff. I hope you are all having a blessed day and doing well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #508  
Pearl-ExPert

You are all amazing!!! As someone offered earlier, let's share if we need anything and help each other... I'm willing to help out with what I have a lot of like cardstock, stamped images, patterned paper... Should we start a 'Pay it forward thread'?

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #509  
Inking Addict

I am enjoying this thread so much. I have way too much in my scraproom. I am using it up now but now but not by choice. I became disabled 3 years ago and had to quit my well paying job. That MADE me go cold turkey and that is when I realized how much I already have. I now call my scraproom my "therapy room" because that is just what it is. So dont ever give it up completely, I think that would be a very dangerous thing to do. And just a note on those 40% off coupons. I just got a set of Prismacolor pencils that I have been looking around for for a long long time. The cheapest place I could find online was at Amazon.com.. but then there was that 40% off coupon at Michaels. So I thought oh maybe that would be the route to go... WRONG. Even with the 40% off.. they were still WAY more expensive than the Amazon price.. so really BEWARE of those coupons and really shop around. I thought long and hard about my pencils before buying them knowing they were of a high price.. 3 months at least. Good luck to all my fellow crafters. This is such a great hobby to have. Hugs to all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #510  
Die Cut Diva

I went to Michael's last night. I came away spending $9. I got a 3/4" square punch for $3 on clearance and some bling (again on clearance) for my Caribbean cruise scrapbook.

I went to a crop Friday and got 6 layouts done. But even more importantly, I dug through everything that I had thought might work for my scrapbook and identified where I was short some things. This bling fit the bill perfectly AND it was on clearance. I passed up lots of other clearance "deals" that did not fit the project that I'm working on. That is a big success in my book!

I also had a strong urge to shop on Saturday night, so I filled up two online shopping carts. And then exited both sites without buying a single thing. So I "shopped" but I didn't buy. That seemed to curb the need without spending a penny.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #511  
Insane Embellisher

Feeling very proud of my self. A lady I just met helped me with a contact for a professional job, and I felt like I should do something for her. My husband suggested I make her cards. Last night, I made a set of cards (actually a one sheet wonder, so they all coordinate) with all matching papers and such. And I did it all without going to the store to buy one single thing, including ribbon or embellishments. They look fine. In the past, I would have been tempted to find a ribbon that matched more perfectly, but I have too much, so I will use what I have. Will anyone really notice? And I even used an embossing folder that I had never used, when I couldn't find the right background. That way it was a different texture, but the right shade, if that makes sense. I didn't start on the cards until 7 and I was done by 9:30 without ever leaving the house. Big accomplishment for me.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #512  
Kookie Creator

Well, my committment to spending nothing on crafting this year (except for adhesive) lasted 6 weeks. I had finished up my scrapbook for 2010, and there were 3 pages that needed some birthday embellishments, and one needed an 85 (for the 85th birthday) in a rather large size (2" or more). And, I had run out of all of my regular vellum for computer journalling - I had some lovely pearlescent and shimmery pieces, but I didn't really think they would suit the football and hockey pages!! After hunting through all of my embellishments for well over an hour ensuring that there just wasn't anything suitable to use in my own stash, I broke down and headed off to Michaels with those three pages with me (with my 40% coupon too). I spent quite a long time drooling over so many embellishments, and even worse over ones not even related to my task at hand...so-hard-to-pass-up...

Anyway, after pricing out the cost of buying two sets of balloon embellishments, I decided that it was really in my best interest to instead buy the Martha Stewart balloon punch - that way I could have balloons any time I want in whatever paper I want. With the coupon, it worked out to $10 plus tax, while the two sets of balloon embellishments would come to $8.50 plus tax. I also spent what seemed like an hour deciding if I should pick up three sets of Thickers numbers for $3.50 each, even though they weren't as big as I wanted, nor the colours I needed. Just as I'm getting ready to leave, I see a clear stamp set of just numbers, in a really nice font, and the perfect size - oh, what to do....
I walked around the store with those stamps in my hand forever, went looking for stencils which would be much cheaper...Would I use them beyond this page enough to justify the cost? Was I really sure that I couldn't figure something else out?? Then it hit me - just find an "open outline" font on the computer, type my two numbers out, make them the right size, run my patterned paper through my printer, cut them out, ink the edges, and mount. Probably more work than just stamping directly to the page, but a lot less money.

In the end, I left the Thickers and the stamp set there, walked out with just my punch & the pack of vellum, and felt pretty good about the trip. Broke my promise to myself, but boy did I really think about what I was doing! I guess now I am dieting instead of cold-turkeying it, but I'm okay with that for now. Just have to keep that resolve going....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #513  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
You are all amazing!!! As someone offered earlier, let's share if we need anything and help each other... I'm willing to help out with what I have a lot of like cardstock, stamped images, patterned paper... Should we start a 'Pay it forward thread'?
There is actually these types of threads already.. They are quite fun!!

This one is called the big wish.. its for items over $5
CLOSED......Big Wish RAK #17 ~~ Everyone Welcome!! by bjlee717 at Splitcoaststampers

And this one is called the Recycle .. for items under $5
Recycle #19 CLOSED..... by jenjoy71 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #514  
Crimping Master

flash&rusty, that was very well thought out! The punch instead of embellishments is an excellent idea. I do that technique as well, with the printer and the free fonts, and I LOVE it. Recently completed a project with printed out letters from the internet instead of having to go out and buy a stamp alphabet set or stickers or whatever.
I have also have sets of naked chipboard which were bought at clearance over time for a bit over $1, and I use those as templates. I trace the shape I need out on whichever color cardstock or patterned paper and then cut them out by hand. It's SUCH a money saver, versus buying, say a pack of butterfly 3D stickers for $4!
I don't buy square or rectangle nestabilities, except for the ones that are scalloped or laced, because I can cut out a square by myself on the paper cutter... Same applies with punches. No square or rectangle when it can be done so easily without spending a penny more.
I did allow myself to in the future purchase a butterfly die, so I can layer those in the really intricate ways, like with the mariannedesigns dies. Those are absolutely beautiful. I'm considering later on investing in a few of my favorite shaped flower dies from there and saving a ton of money by not buying costly packages of prima flowers. And this way, they would match perfectly with whatever color I'm using, and could use up my cardstock scraps as well.
Another thing I'm considering doing is, instead of buying lace/ paper doiles for my designs, just get the lace punch and punch the edges myself out of a scrap of paper, and there's no need to buy any of those type of embellishments. I'll see if also instead of the lace punch, the lacey rectangle nesties can be substituted... like, cut a die cut rectangle in half and use that instead to frame a part. Same goes with the scallops I use so much. Instead of buying a pack of scalloped strips, I can do those myself with a die or an edge punch.
There's really tons of ways to save.
Oh, about the stamped images... wow, do I have hundreds of those. I think it's a 2 gallon bag stuffed full! They came with some lot I bought off ebay ages ago. I threw out some that were kinda smudged or yellow-y paper, but the rest I kept and I think I don't really have to buy a stamp ever again in my life. I'm covered for any and all occasions as far as images go. If anyone is looking for, say, a person image or a flower image or something like that (general category), then let me now so I can mail it out. I believe there's a few tildas and some bellas and ... well, lots of things!
I love using flourishes, and was considering getting a flourish stamp, but then I thought a die would work better, because I can cut it out of any color I'd like, whereas if I bought the stamp, I'd also need several colors of ink so it would match with the colors I'd be using on a layout.
These things will all be gotten when I find a deal/coupon here and there. I've been price comparing, and have an idea of how much the usual price is, so now I can keep an eye out for these things at a heavier discount, and will buy them when I see them at a satisfactory price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #515  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a great blog, The Counterfeit Kit Club Challenge, helping people use their stashes by challenging them to search for items in their stash to replicate a current kit club offering. I'm not connected to this blog --just enjoying it. It started with scrapbookers in January, but already people are also making cards and other projects with their counterfeit kits. It's so much fun to visit this blog. I'm not participating, but it's giving me lots of ideas. Each month the blog hosts pick a current kit from a number of companies, post their own versions, and then invite others to play with them. During the month they have tutorials for creating your own versions of the embellishments, but participants are also doing this on their own and posting the tutorials on their own linked blogs. The blog hosts also post online free print-outs and other free resources to help with the kits. Here's a link to the challenge blog: Counterfeit Kit Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #516  
Crimping Master

I don't know about starting a thread when there's already some established ones, but maybe if we post a request right here and someone can meet it, then that would be awesome. I'd love to help anyone out if I can. I also have tons of cardstock and patterned paper.. way too much, in my opinion.
The benefit of having so many ugly papers (again, came with a lot... if I got $10 worth of things that I used out of that $80 lot, I'd be lucky), is that when I wanted to make the A2 box, one of the tutorials here by Beate, I used those instead of wasting expensive cardstock or the papers I actually liked. And thank goodness I did, because I messed up a few times before getting it perfect. Same with when I wanted to try a variation of the box, but I wanted it to be only half an inch thick, and with different dimensions.
I must have messed up more than 5 times, since I was winging it. Those 12x12 ugly papers came in so handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #517  
Crimping Master

Thank you for sharing that, Louisa May! I'll be reading that soon. I'm off to visit some nieghbors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #518  
Polyshrink Goddess

Today I brought my cuttlebug and embossing folders, some packs of paper that have been languishing in my craft room, a few spools of ribbon and a bunch of stickers I've had for several years to school with me. I taught my students how to emboss (they thought it was amazing) and then I let them go crazy with all of the materials to make Valentine cards for their friends and family. Made me think - why have I been holding onto all of these things and not enjoying them. My students sure had a blast making the cards and it was fun to share my passion for paper crafting with them too.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #519  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 373 Likes on 202 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixxiewacorgiView Post
I don't know about starting a thread when there's already some established ones, but maybe if we post a request right here and someone can meet it, then that would be awesome. I'd love to help anyone out if I can. I also have tons of cardstock and patterned paper.. way too much, in my opinion.
I agree! The swap threads are fine - but right now I don't need anything; however, I would love to share my stuff with others for free.
On the swap threads - you grant something to someone and then it's your turn to have something granted to you. If I don't need anything, then I am only going to add to my collection and I don't need that!
So, I suggest if someone is needing something for a project or just because you want to try it - POST IT ON HERE - If I have it - I'll send it to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #520  
Crimping Master

Arlene C- that's exactly what I meant, lol, thanks for expressing it better than me. I don't really need to exchange for more stuff, I need to unload!
Rebecca- how great that you got to share your hobby with the children and you all had a blast!
Reply With Quote Likes