Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IF you were a SU customer what would

you like to see in a demo?...I'm a fairly new one and would LOVE to know what customers would like?....do you like classes, if so what kind?...how much?...clubs? workshops?...What kind of things do you like to do???....
Drawings during clubs, etc.....what kind of giveaways?...how about blog candy?...does it draw you to a blog???...what does draw you to a blog?...nosy aren't I....lol

What days and hours are good for you..????...I'm just trying to get a feel for the general population here...I have 2 scrap clubs going....right now...I am trying to build up a better online customer base but that is secondary...

Just was wondering as a demo what type of customer service can be given...what is that little *extra* that has you go with one demo or another?...

I live in a very very rural area....and truly love creating and being with people....just want to be sure that I do something that they want not just what *I* want....lol...kwim?

thanks to all of you....I do appreciate any constructive input...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

My best friend signed up as an SU demonstrator & I helped her do her last few parties. What seemed to be the biggest drawing point for the customers was showing them how versatile stamps are. We did a card, a gift bag & a gift tag for the party just before the holidays. And even though there were only 5 people at the party it ended up being over $250 party. Not bad for only her 2nd party ... or at least I think so :P

I also think that people need not only inspiration but also to learn new techniques that they can easily incorporate. I've talked to several people and most of them say "Oh I could never make something that looked like that" or "I'm not creative enough". Showing them that it can be easy, getting them into it and liking it, will ultimately lead to more satisfied customers. Besides, they call you guys "Creative Coaches" for a reason ;)

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Speaking from a customers point of view, what makes me the happiest is learning a new technique or using a new tool or product. I love the monthly clubs too. My Demo usually has something for everyone, meaning there is a real easy card or two and then some more challenging ones for us seasoned stampers.
I should add too that I am also in a very rural area so getting together with others to stamp and have some giggles is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I love having a variety of classes to choose from since I love all papercrafting. My demo had THE best workshops. She would find really neat projects to show us. I think she actually subscribed to some online blog that offered PDF's of projects.

One thing that I really, really loved was when my order came in, she would drive over and deliver it to me. I know not all demos do that. But for me, that was the little extra that made a huge difference to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

My demo is great. She does a technique class every couple of months, which is great to try new things. At her last couple, we get to go home with a card that has an example and has very specific instructions so that we can reproduce them at home.

She always gets the newest catalogs to us, and sends an email newsletter each month. She also has a hostess club that is a great way to get new things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I like getting to make 2 of most of the cards. Sometimes it takes me twice to get it right, but mostly it means that I can keep one and give one away. I like seeing the newest stuff, and getting to try out techniques that seem complicated but where you just have to have good directions. We hostess club it and it means that every so many meetings you get the hostess deals. Other than that, it is more about the group of ladies who come together for a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

This is a really great question. My demo recently started something called Bring Your Own Project night. She holds them on a Friday night, once a month, and we are free to use whatever stamps, punches, etc. of hers that we want. The cost of the class is $5, and it's free if you are in Stampers Club. There is a small fee for buying her paper/ribbon/etc. but most people bring their own stuff.

I like this because it's on a Friday night. I get up really early for work so I don't have to worry about getting to bed at a certain hour. I can try out whatever stamps I want without being held to making the same card as everyone else.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

This has been such a great and helpful post to me.

I am also new at being a demo and live in a rural area as well.

One thing I do at my one ;) club - I print out a list of items that I use for the projects. I have a template in my Word file for this. I name the item, the item ;);)#, the page #, the price - and also if it is in the mini or the regular IB&C. My "girls" like this because they can see at a glance what is used (stamps, punches, CS, embellies, etc), where to find it and most importantly, how much!

Thanks, ladies, for all of the good ideas here. They have given me food for thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have had the worst demo and now the best demo! To address the worst, totally unprepared for classes, she must have been a hobby demo because she didn't seem to care if you were happy or not, lack of communication even when I contacted her. If I am spending my hard earned money on stamping supplies, I want to feel good about it. My best demo, written supply list and general instructions, so when you get home you can easily recreate project, a little thank you note (blank) added to the products bought. Kept aware of specials and any news. Also, I appreciate projects using products I own, just in a different way, once in a while. I don't need my demo to be my BFF but I do want to feel like a customer who deserves basic services. Wow, I bet that was more than you wanted to know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks everyone this is being a HUGH help to me....
being disorganized is one of my problems..most of my customers know me well enough but for those that don't I can see where that can be frustrating....

I always say Improvise...lol....and do as I say not as I do....

sooo I need to change my thinking here....I think of us more as *friends* but I guess I also need to remember they are *customers* buying things with their hard earned money!...trust me I don't take them for granted, just really enjoy being with them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I feel all these ideas are terrific and ones I would want in a Demonstrator. I also would really stress that I want to learn different techniques using various products. How to use products I currently have (that may even not be Stampin' Up products) in conjunction with the Stampin' Up products.

Also a Demonstrator who knows the products that Stampin' Up sells. One that can give me more info than even the catalog offers. Yes, this means that she would need to be first hand familiar with the products.

I don't need a gathering where I am needing to rush and make several cards or other projects within 2 hours or so. I would rather sit and watch the Demonstrator teach me new things. Then I can go home and experiment with what I've learned.

Lastly, informal classes or get-to-gethers where we are creating a project from start to finish, but not necessarily being pushed all the time to make purchases.

I think most of all though, that a Demonstrator has to be a crafty person, not someone who is just learning herself. Someone who can teach and inspire others.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

My 2 cents, as a demo who went from business to hobby....

have a variety of projects. My take on classes was that if you were paying, you should learn something complicated. However, when I surveyed my ladies, the classes where we did simple, quick, very easy to duplicate cards were the winners, not the ones needing lots of supplies/complicated steps.

They loved it when we pulled out oldies but goodies instead of new stamps all the time (I tried to balance that 50/50). Also revisiting 3-D projects, but with a new twist usually, such as adding coordinating tags and mini cards.

Finally, you can't be all things to all people. Find your comfort zone, don't overload your schedule, and offer great customer service.

good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the $15 a month stamping club my demo offers. Affordable and I never run out of supplies I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in a stamp club that meets every other month on a Saturday morning from 9 to about 12. It's informal...she generally teaches a new technique, shows new products, talks about specials, etc. then we're free to create whatever we want. We often bring show and tell items and she doesn't get bent out of shape if we happen to have something non-SU on our cards. She encourages us to invite friends, so we have new people exposed to SU all the time.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Not pushy! My demo demonstrates the products, lets me see the quality and try it out. I want to see how versatile a product is and what different things can be done with it. I have never felt pressed to purchase anything.

We have no minimum dollar amount to purchase. My demo did have to start charging $5 to cover her cost of supplies for anyone who attends that doesn't purchase anything. She had one group of 5 women who were friends with each other that met monthly. Only one of them ever bought anything and she was losing money every month. It's never been a problem for me as I always have a long wish list and I usually end up spending more than I planned after seeing something new from the projects we've done.

My demo's "style" is very clean and precise. I'm more vintage and grunge. She makes an effort to show different styles and doesn't get upset if I alter it to make mine a little different than the project she is demonstrating! We have a variety of experience levels in the group that meets monthly and we do projects in a range of simple to a little more complex so there is something that appeals to everyone.

We usually do one or two cards, a 6x6 scrapbook page and maybe a 3d project/tags/embellishment/something with a unique twist. Usually, one of the projects will have a new technique. She has at least one or more samples of each project setting in the middle of the table for us to see when we arrive and to look as while we are doing the project.

She has the pieces of DSP and cardstock precut (which probably saves her money) and embelishments in a 3 ring binder with a pocket page for each project ready for each of us. In the front of the binder she has a product list for each project and instructions for any new technique for us to take home. She has scissors, adhesive and scrap paper at each spot at the table.

She has the supplies for each project in basket ready to go so when we start a project she just grabs the basket for that project and everything is ready. Being organized is hard for some of us but it makes things go smoothly and we're not left sitting while she hunts for something!!

Good Luck with your new venture!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

After reading a few of the posts since I last posted on this topic. I will add a few comments.

My Demonstrator had everything all pre-cut. All we had to do was paste. I found that boring and no creativity on our part. We had no choice but to do all exactly as everyone else did.

Also, as a previous poster said about the levels of people. I found that the people that attended the "classes" my Demonstrator did, they were really not crafters. They made a card here and there, but not on a regular basis nor for each occasion they would send a card. They store bought most they sent.

I more prefer a group where we can share ideas with one another and have time in the class to do just that. I don't like to rush just to get all the cards done in the allotted 2 hours.

I realize people are not at all the same level, but that's what makes it difficult for more experienced crafters. Some people are not interested in advancing in the craft. I also think that some are there just to support the Demonstrator in her business.

Just my personal thought also....I don't feel it's necessary to serve food at these gatherings. I don't eat/drink while I craft. Too messy.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a Hobby Demo. I still need to learn the 'basics' of stamping. Would love to see a series of 'lessons' started up for the newbies. I can sponge - a bit - and mask - a bit- now. Still don't know how to do 2 Step, rock and roll,, etc. Need to learn how to use markers, etc. I am in a small town but lots of women already stamp (with other demos) lol. My demo lives about 60 miles away unfortunatley so I am teaching myself in bits an pieces.
Love SU for the fact that they coordinate there stamps, and papers. Monthly clubs would be fun if you could focus on beginners for a while. Just remember to let folks know that it is a beginner level series of classes.
Good luck with your business!
Reply With Quote Likes