Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:33 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If you make your cards ahead of time

I know some people will wait until fall/winter to make their Christmas cards for that year. But I'm wondering if there are people who make cards all year round and then store them to be used when needed?

If you are one who makes them ahead of time and then stores them, do you find that sometimes the adhesive comes off when you're ready to send them out?

Just asking because I know I have this problem sometimes with scrapbooking. I look back on some older pages and the elements have just fallen right off of the page, so I find myself having to redo the page. I know back then, I had used a regular ole tombow type adhesive but now I'm using the ATG gun, but it still happens when using that too, just not as often I guess.

I'd like to start making cards throughout the year (I mainly do Christmas cards with an occasional birthday or sympathy) and save them up for the end of the year when I need them. But I don't want to take them out of a storage box only to find out that I'd have to re-glue everything down.

Do you have this problem?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had this problem when I used the Tombow monoadhesive, but do not find this to be true with the Scotch ATG. But with the ATG being some much less expensive and more environmentallly friendly, I also use more adhesive on the projects than I did with the Tombow. I adhere along all sides of a panel and not just in the corners.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have always used Sookwang tape and never had this problem. I also adhere on all sides and make sure I have good contact wherever I put the tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Last year I decided to start Christmas cards in March would be a good idea. In October when I needed to count and sort I found that a lot of my cards had fallen apart. I had used scor-tape on the images and it had turned all shinny and released. The next time I used Aleene's tacky and everything held together wonderfully....anyone want to bye a load of scor-tape? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I make Christmas cards all year and I have never had the problem of things falling off. I use the Tombow glue in the white bottle and gave never had an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I make ahead. Sometimes a card will sit in its category box for 2, 3 years before it 'finds' the right recipient. They do not fall apart. I use Tombow monoadhesive. I put a strip around the entire card and an "X" in the middle. Yes a lot of glue by some folks' standards but they do not fall apart. Oh I also "burnish" it with a bone folder to ensure adhesion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some cards that I keep on hand that I made for a challenge or just because I wanted to try out a new stamp and try to use those as the need arises. Sometimes they can sit for quite a long time. I haven't had any problems with them coming apart since I started using the ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Back in 2008 I had an Su demo insist that in stamping class we use SU adhesive. Every card I made fell apart.

I have been using tombow mutil glue in the green top. Now every card stays stays together, never had on yet fall apart!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh and to answer your question, I usually wing-it when I need cares. Unless my muse is by my side, I usually only get made what is needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I make lots, and do cheat, even if I use tape, if it's a heavy element, I add a drop of glue as well, and it never comes off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

When I began making cards, it was through a friend who was a SU demo, so I used the Tombow snail runner. I ran the tape the entire length of all edges, and burnished the edges, only to see a couple of years later that they had fallen apart.

I switched to Tombow mono multi (glue in the white bottle, green lid), and since then nothing falls apart. Once the glue sets, pulling the layers apart will destroy your project!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh my - I make cards all year long - sometimes I make a card I don't like so I put it in the box and its still there - some 3 years later. BUT - it is together perfectly and I use dollar store adhesive - go figure!
Kia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiagcView Post
Oh my - I make cards all year long - sometimes I make a card I don't like so I put it in the box and its still there - some 3 years later. BUT - it is together perfectly and I use dollar store adhesive - go figure!
Kia
Before I bought my ATG and was sick of my stuff coming apart using the Tombow/SU stuff, I had found some dollar store runners that worked great. I used them on some recipe pages and they are still going strong. I bought 5 and gave my niece a couple, but now I can't find them in any of the dollar stores around here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I usually run my brayer over to burnish and make sure I have good adhesion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I make Christmas cards starting in Jan. and other cards that sometimes sit in their box for 1-2 years and I've never had one fall apart. I usually use Scotch double stick tape and use quite a bit of it. Also my husband keeps all the cards I've made for him for over 10 years and we take them out and look at them to see how my style changes and none of these have fallen apart either. And I live in the high desert of NV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I run the ATG ( or Elmer's snail) along all edges and throughout the center and also burnish. My cards stay together for years. I've always used tons of adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since I supply so many cards to several different places to sell I make Christmas cards year round. I use LOTS of ATG tape and have never had issues with cards falling apart. I am presently working on spring holidays.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of my early cards I made with cheaper adhesives did fall apart soon. Now I use mostlyl just ATG gun tape (3M) and Tombo Multi liquid. For making boxes and packages I use the Red tacky tape or Score Tape. That's about it. Nothing falls apart now! I did re-glue some of my early cards with Tombo Multi liquid glue and they are just fine now! I had to learn with the Tombo Multi green top liquid glue to use very, very little tiny, tiny dabs of glue. Works wonderful! I used to try and use it like Elmers and it was WAY too much glue! Got it all over my fingers. Now I just use tiny, tiny little dots of it and it is marvelous! Love this stuff!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I agree...Tombo Multi has never failed me! I use tiny little lines instead of dots....my cards sit for months at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't find that the adhesives come apart but I see that my style has changed and I don't always like what I have in my inventory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't use SNAIL any longer. I do enjoy the TOMBOW Multi. And, they make other dot adhesive runners that stick much better. SNAIL seems to be okay in some environments and not so great in others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #22  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I used to use tombow snail pretty exclusively and it did a great job for me MOST of the time but there were some cards that started to come apart so I don't know if it was me or the tape.

That said, a few years ago I switched to sookwang (aka score tape plus a few other names) and I have had 100% success with sookwang so that's my go to now.

Within the last year or so I started using mono multi or scrap happy glue for most embellishments, and those are holding up great as well - no fails so far

I've had the ATG gun for years - used it only a few times. I just cannot get the hang of it....part of the problem I think is that I have small hands and I find it unwieldy...also the tape was sliding off of the roll a few times and that was annoying (I don't have a lot of patience LOL). I know the ATG rocks, but I just can't get it.......I'm sure I'll try again at some point.........
Reply With Quote Likes