Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #41  
A LOST 4400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that everything cannot be a ten to some, but we are comparing apples to oranges. I have never posted (lazy and scared) but very much admire those that do. I obsess about my stuff and end up spinning my wheels, not getting anything done while you creative geniuses use your hearts to stamp some of the coolest, most beautiful stuff I've seen. Layering and cutting and embellishing and tearing and cropping are great for those who love to do them and simple cards are great for others (me) who just want to actually complete a card! Again, think of the Olympics!!! How can I give a gymnast anything other than great when I would fall on my tush!!!
Usually the judges are fat old men with hernias anyway! (no offense please) This site is a blessing for the creative genius and support for new stampers. Art is subjective and I talk too much!!!!!!! STAMP ON!!!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Art cannot be rated. I am highly critical of my artwork, but I think that creativity should not be hampered by rating it. It was a cool idea, but just not in the spirit of creativity and art.

glittergirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #43  
Inking Addict

I would really like to see the rating system be disolved. It is nice to see the comments from people, but why should you have to rate them? What I might think is awesome might not appeal to the next person who views the card.... who really cares? I love to see all of the cards here whether it's a simple, sweet card made by someone new to stamping...or a knock-out card from a really seasoned stamper.... it's all art, and it's great of those willing to share them with us. With the rating system it may keep some people from wanting to upload their card in fear of being disappointed by someone giving them a low rating. I say they should get rid of the rating piece............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree, I dont like the rating system either. I agree with hemeynell re the 'favorites' staying in the first few pages of the daily additions. I like to check, quite frequently , to see what new cards were added and it would be easier if the cards stayed in order - I dont want to miss any!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you sort them using the "latest" option, they are shown in the order in which they were uploaded, from newest to oldest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 06:24 PM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

You can comment on the cards without rating them, just type in your comments without clicking on the number rating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

While I appreciate EVERYONES work, there are some that are more my style maybe, the ones that really jump out at me, you all know what I mean, those are the ones I rate with a 10, and always leave a comment, I love reading the comments about my cards, really gives you insite, we all have different tastes, so thats why I would never rate something below a 10.

I actually was thinking of starting a subject if any one really rates under a 10, guess I know now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the rating system came with the program, IMHO it was put there for photography. This way if a picture was fuzzy or overexposed or poorly conceptulized (we've all taken those pictures - the bird in the tree - when you get the photos back you think "Why did I take a picture of a bunch of branches?!?") it would be rated less than a spectacular shot. If you've ever been to webshots or one of the other photography sites, that is how they are/were set up.

OK, I'm going to rate my avatar pic a 6. The lighting isn't the best, and gee, I'm holding the camera! That's what I get for taking it in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by karixma
OK, I'm going to rate my avatar pic a 6. The lighting isn't the best, and gee, I'm holding the camera! That's what I get for taking it in the bathroom.
The camera?!! I thought for sure that was a pint of ice cream you were offering to share if we came to visit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2004, 07:39 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Mama2my4

I haven't read all of the posts but I just have to voice my opinion. I was really sad the first time I got a low score. But then I started thinking "that is art for you." Some people like things and some people don't. However, why would you waste energy typing negative opinions or giving low scores? It doesn't make sense to me at all. Just don't leave anything. Comment or rating. Move on to something you do like.
I personally check my ratings and views every time I log on and still haven't figured out what makes one persons card get 1150 views and others 39. Oh well. I will keep posting because I still love the whole concept. Thanks for letting me vent!

Check us out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:01 AM   #51  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have got to the point that I just leave comments and no rating...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 08:38 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbstamper
The camera?!! I thought for sure that was a pint of ice cream you were offering to share if we came to visit

Oh how funny! It took me awhile to realize that it was the camera. I like the idea of Ice Cream better.

Pam, you always crack me up!! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Pint! What you think I'm that stingy?!? I'll give ya a whole quart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #54  
Watercolor Wizard

Okay let me chime in on this one, since everyone is being so nice about it!

There is so much more to life then getting upset that your card was rated low (people have different tastes and views on what they like.

I agree that it takes alot of guts to uplaod a card, but be prepared that everyone wouldn't feel the same about it as you do.

Having said that, I personsally think the rating system is over rated. I think a "average" card shoud be rated at a 5! I also think that the rating scale should be used for contests only.

Jovita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

That's aweful! Why in the world would someone think that rating someone else's work (yours really are great, by the way!) with a low rating, not have the decency to even comment on why they thought it was worth a 4, 5, 6 or whatever low score, and assume that you wouldn't be hurt or offended? Obviously the people that gave your cards low marks, with or without comments, are just spiteful. Move on, don't worry about it. Unfortunately, all people in the world can't be as polite as most of the ones I've been in contact with on SCS. I'm so sorry this has happened to you! (hug)
Gretchen in SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

What I noticed is the lower ratings that were left (all by the same person) had absolutely no comments! Not only was this person rude, but lazy!

There, with that out of my system, I want to say I, too, looked at your gallery and I would love to be as good as you! You're cards are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have one complaint. Here it is, for what it is worth:

EVERY TIME I go in to look in detail at the wonderful cards & stuff in our gallery, I get the indicator that there are MORE to approve. Or worse, I have to get out of splitcoast and DO SOMETHING ELSE here at work! I wish I could tell you all how much your creations have inspired me on each and every one. . .but dangit! I don't get the time with the gallery that I need to do that!

Jeez, guys. Can you just *stop* it for like 4-5 weeks so that we can all catch up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #58  
Gabfest Goddess

Well not to be stinky, but the gal who left low ratings and no messgaes is also in the DDD Gallery.

EDITED AUG 16 7:00 PM----- Ok, I feel that my post here sounded "stinky' and I apologize for it. :oops: I think I was getting in on the tail end of a frenzy. I didnt do any homework like Pam (on page 5) did, about the card in question being from a contest and so on... I dont feel I have slammed daydreamer, this post was an observation, but I feel now its icky. For now on I am only rating cards that are in contests, not individual ones in the gallery.
Thanks,
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 11:00 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tandra,
I too had noticed that. (only noticed that the particular poster was a DD member not that she was wrong or bad or mean or in any way negative)

By the way I love your name! ( Tandra, I still like your name!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:08 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Having said that, I personsally think the rating system is over rated. I think a "average" card shoud be rated at a 5! I also think that the rating scale should be used for contests only.

The problem with that though, is, what is average. This could be "Mary's" first attempt at stamping and she's just so darn proud of her stamp and someone sends her to SCS and she decides..I'm going to do it! Then "Mary" gets a lousy rating and figures her work isn't as good as others and it discourages her. On the other hand, "Mary's" first piece of work inspires "Joan" and she comes up with ideas and begins to upload. So what may be average to one, is fantastic work to others. I tend to like the simple cards and certain colors. But that's just me. I think like you, the rating system should be used for contests only.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #61  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stolynn
This could be "Mary's" first attempt at stamping and she's just so darn proud of her stamp and someone sends her to SCS and she decides..I'm going to do it! Then "Mary" gets a lousy rating and figures her work isn't as good as others and it discourages her.
"Mary" should think more of herself and not depend on some negative comments from few "strangers"! I'm sure anyone of her friends or family would absoltely love getting the same card that someone she doesn't even know gave her a low rating!

I think when someone rates a low number they should also comment on it. I know I would love to hear the negative along with the postive.

I also have to say that the orginal poster of this thread should have sent a private message to the rater and asked why, instead of posting it in the forum. I'm sure all of us went to her gallery and looked to see who was the one that gave the low rating. That singled out her, which I don't think was very nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:40 PM   #62  
Watercolor Wizard

[quote="gretchensart"] Obviously the people that gave your cards low marks, with or without comments, are just spiteful.

I don't think the rating was intended to be "spiteful", I think some people are just brutally honest and and feel like SCS is a place where they can be honest with one another, instead of sugar coating.

Jovita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

I'm sure all of us went to her gallery and looked to see who was the one that gave the low rating. That singled out her, which I don't think was very nice!

On the other hand, people went to the posters gallery and told her what a nice job she did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by karixma
and gee, I'm holding the camera!
Hi!
Oh...that's what that is...I always thought it was a cup of coffee you were enjoying when someone snapped your pix.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #65  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

On the other hand, people went to the posters gallery and told her what a nice job she did.
Yes they did, and alot of the comments came after the fact, when it brought to our attention about the low rating she received, not when it was orginally posted.

I know you all are going to hate when I say this, but, it's like sympathy comments.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad that her feeling were hurt, but she should have sent a pm

Jovita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

I've bit my tongue for the last few days on this issue. . . . the first time I got a rating under ten it really made me sad, okay, it was a nine, a nine, out of ten (that isn't bad)! Now if I got a 5 or a 6 I know it would have really hurt my feelings. I certainly understand why this has been upsetting to you. But, as several of you have said, different people rate in different ways and rating is subjective. I personally have chosen to only give tens here, because I know what it feels like to get less. And on cards that I can't honestly give a ten I choose not to. That's the thing, we each have that choice and we can't control others' choice.

I love this site because it truly is an encouraging place. I love being a part of such a positive place. Yes, it is hurtful to receieve comments less than a ten, and certainly lower than what you deserve but singling out one or two people and really coming down on them is not fair, in my opinion. I am glad we were able to give some postive feedback to angsilk, who deserves it, but doing that at the expense of someone else isn't what I expect when I come to this site. You ladies amaze me every day, thanks for the inspiration and encouragment--let's keep this place the postive place we all love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 PM   #67  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't even look at the ratings on some of the cards in the gallery. If I like a card I like it for the contents not what other people think. I'd rather someone be honest then give something a 10 just because they don't want to hurt my feelings. I have cards in my gallery that I don't even like :lol:

I agree that this option should be rethought and possibly removed. The comments section is enough to let you know if someone likes your card.

Just remember "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent" Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

OMGosh I 0totally forgot this... my UPLINE posted a comment and a rating, and she rated one of my cards a 7 or 8!!!!! My UPLINE mind you!! OK it stung a little!!! my upline.........................lol
Tandra

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm new to this site and am still learning my way around it. But in my opinion I really don't see the need for the rating system and don't understand it's merits. I think it should be dropped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #70  
Gabfest Goddess

If I leave comments I usually rate it a 10. Because it takes guts! I've got loads of stuff with no comments........and I know it's because it's not great, just average.

I do however like the comments....and I don't really look at what number they chose. I have gotten ones with less than a 10 for sure! Who cares? I sure don't. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they used it only for contests...but someone commented that if it's rated less than 10 in a contest you can't win (? is that so? not sure how that works), so wouldn't someone then be REALLY angry if they got negative feedback??

More than anything, I use this gallery as a place to post my pics so that I can direct friends (who are hopefully now clients!) to see them.

There will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't like a particular piece of work, and there's a chance someone will say something less than perfectly kind...and not realize they will be hurting feelings by being truthful. (Some folks don't see the harm in always being brutally honest!!) I know, I know....but it's true. Luckily I think that most who would be giving the negative feedback just don't post. But others can't help themselves, and probably feel it's their duty to tell you!! ;)

Did you ever PM that person and ask? If so ~ did she respond?? I'm curious to know that.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the rating system came with the program for the gallery. Can you imagine the chaos if they tried to change programs? I think we'll just have to live with the rating being available and use it or not as we choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

I also have to say that the orginal poster of this thread should have sent a private message to the rater and asked why, instead of posting it in the forum. I'm sure all of us went to her gallery and looked to see who was the one that gave the low rating. That singled out her, which I don't think was very nice![/quote]

Jovita---
In no way was I ever asking people to go look at my gallery and single anyone out--If I wanted to do that I could've just posted the person's name--I asked a simple question about hurt feelings. That was all. I also take offense to the "sympathy" comment. I never asked people to go rate my cards and give me 10s. I just thought giving someone a 4 was rude and offensive without taking the time to post why. I'm sorry that I seem to have hit a nerve with you, Jovita. I don't know you and I would really hope that you are not trying to make me out to be a bad person on purpose. I didn't see the need to pm the rater after all of the time that had passed--I just had my feelings hurt--yes, I am human and sometimes other people's opinions hurt--and was wondering if anyone else felt the same. Sorry I've upset you so much.

Friendship is like peeing in your pants.......
Everyone can see it,
but only you can feel it's true warmth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

I went back and took another look in angsilk's gallery and the cards the had the low scores were from contests. If you take the time to check the scores that daydreamer gave to the various projects you'll notice a pattern - the more "involved" the card was, the higher the score daydreamer gave. From that point I looked at other cards in the same contests and daydreamer seems to be pretty consistent with her ratings. My conclusion - so to speak - is that daydreamer goes by a similar scale to what Stolynn suggested - an average/basic cards is a 5. Think about it this way - if someone did a really good job with a basic technique and you did a really good job with an advanced technique - should their card get the same score as yours? What about all that extra work you put in to it - shouldn't that count for something? Here's a specific example: Angsilk's "I like Your Style 2" with it's color block background got a 7. IMO that takes more work/skill than the Greetings Galore card which has a wheeled background and some color added to the stamped image which got a 5. That makes sense to me.

So, here's my thoughts on the whole thing:
There needs to be some sort of ratings guidelines and a 2-part system would work best. There should be some kind of skill level assigned to different techniques (perhaps alphabetical) and then the number rating can be used to indicate how well that particular skill was done. Personally, I would be thrilled to read that someone thought my basic stamping technique (level A?) was done excellently (9 or 10) but I can't imagine it being ranked the same as some of the very involved and very well done projects I've seen in the gallery. That would be comparing apples and oranges.

Only cards in the contest galleries should be given a numerical rating. For all others just use comments and/or if the situation warrants constructive criticism taking in to account that the colors you see on your computer may not be a fair representation of the actual colors used. I can tell you that if I rated cards from this particular computer, they'd all get pretty low scores because the colors look ugly. Some are not even close to what's written in the description.

This issue involved just 2 people and should have been addressed through a PM. If it could not have been resolved that way then a team member could have been asked to step in.

Those of you that made assumptions and/or slammed daydreamer owe her an apology. I'll have to re-read what I wrote and see if that includes me.

So, there you have it - my opinion. Take it or leave it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:02 PM   #74  
Gabfest Goddess

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:44 am Post subject:

Well not to be stinky, but the gal who left low ratings and no messgaes is also in the DDD Gallery.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDITED AUG 16 7:00 PM----- Ok, I feel that my post here sounded "stinky' and I apologize for it. I think I was getting in on the tail end of a frenzy. I didnt do any homework like Pam (on page 5) did, about the card in question being from a contest and so on... I dont feel I have slammed daydreamer, this post was an observation, but I feel now its icky. For now on I am only rating cards that are in contests, not individual ones in the gallery.
Thanks,
Tandra
SCS Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

My conclusion - so to speak - is that daydreamer goes by a similar scale to what Stolynn suggested - an average/basic cards is a 5

I've never said this. I C/P, I don't quote. I just want to clarify this and not take credit for someone elses words.

Also, I think if you read Angsilk's original post, she wasn't naming names, just asking an opinion on low scores and feelings which she has a right to do. She wasn't being specific, so I don't think a PM was absolutely necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I've never said this. I C/P, I don't quote. I just don't want anyone assuming that I think average cards are a 5.
My mistake - I went back through the posts so I could refer to who said it since I couldn't remember when I was typing my reply. I found it in your post didn't realize that you were quoting someone since it was not indicated in any way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just speaking strictly for myself, out of PURE curiosity, I did look at Angsilks gallery when first reading her post and I did rate and comment on her cards, the ones that I liked, genuinely liked, not out of sympathy. The point is I may not of found her cards had it not been for her post and I looked and commented/rated what I saw that I liked despite anybody elses feelings about the subject. I don't recall posting any negative remarks about the low rater. Opinions differ, comments are a nice way to understand the ratings, give a rating leave a comment. I think that was the original theory or at least what i got out of it. If i boosted someones confidence then I'm glad of it!
Happy stamping/posting to all and to all a good night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #78  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by angsilk

Jovita---
In no way was I ever asking people to go look at my gallery and single anyone out--If I wanted to do that I could've just posted the person's name--I asked a simple question about hurt feelings. That was all. I also take offense to the "sympathy" comment. I never asked people to go rate my cards and give me 10s. I just thought giving someone a 4 was rude and offensive without taking the time to post why. I'm sorry that I seem to have hit a nerve with you, Jovita. I don't know you and I would really hope that you are not trying to make me out to be a bad person on purpose. I didn't see the need to pm the rater after all of the time that had passed--I just had my feelings hurt--yes, I am human and sometimes other people's opinions hurt--and was wondering if anyone else felt the same. Sorry I've upset you so much.
You didn't hit a nerve with me and I am not upset about it! I have tough skin! I never said in any of my posts that you "asked us" to go to your gallery and give you high posts. I'm sure your intentions were not to point her out to all, but most everyone did go to your gallery to see who posted the low number, and they also started posting who she is on this thread. I just don't think it was fair to her!

Sympathy Comment: I understand about you being offended by that, but those are my feelings, and I'm honest about my feelings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #79  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

This issue involved just 2 people and should have been addressed through a PM. If it could not have been resolved that way then a team member could have been asked to step in.

Those of you that made assumptions and/or slammed daydreamer owe her an apology. I'll have to re-read what I wrote and see if that includes me.

This is the same as what I have been saying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
Quote:

This is the same as what I have been saying!

But, don't you understand that I never said anything negative about the rater? I was asking a question about low ratings and the feelings of the people who receive them. Again, please feel free to see my original post. I am done now with this thread. I'm very sorry to have brought it up!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants.......
Everyone can see it,
but only you can feel it's true warmth.
Reply With Quote Likes